As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I fucked up really bad!! What should I do?? Caught stealing from work

UnbitibleUnbitible Registered User new member
I'm from the UK. So I've worked at this job for 7 months now and last night I got caught stealing something as I was walking out the door after closing, the employee there was the supervisor for the front end of the store so tills and stuff. She asked for my receipt and I said I threw it away because what I had taken was a big commitment it was a £107 drill and £22 drill bits and I didn't want to go back on it. Anyway she took down the barcodes and let me go she then went to see if those products had been bought today or within the last week. My mum was waiting outside to pick me up and she noticed something was off because of how heavy I was breathing and I was starting to sweat because I knew I was about to be in trouble. We barely get down the road and my manager calls me to come back to the store and she had told him. He asked what had happened and I told him I was borrowing it for the night and I was going to bring it back the following morning. My mum of course was extremely upset and disappointed in me, we turned around and went back. My manager was waiting for me by the exit. He filled out a form for gross misconduct and made me sign it. He then told me that this really isn't between us as when the front end supervisor went to tell him the duty manager was there who is effectively the second in command after the store manager. She had told my manager to immediately suspend me. Now my manager has asked me to come in for a meeting to explain the events. When I asked him for advice he told me that it would be best for me to just resign and that the duty manager had confirmed that. So now he has asked me to come in tomorrow so we can have the meeting. I'm really scared and I don't know what to do, I don't want to get into any trouble because of this how can I just had in my resignation and apology letter and leave it be (I did this today and theyll see it tomorrow morning)? Please I really need some advice here my chest is pounding and I'm not sure what'll happen next, I'm seriously scared that if I go in they'll call the police.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    They very well might call the police!

You should speak to an attorney as soon as possible, and stop talking about the case to anyone but an attorney. You need independent legal advice that isn't coming from your manager.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Talk to a lawyer. Your job is gone. Do whatever the lawyer says to avoid criminal charges and don't discuss the event without legal counsel. This includes forum posts.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I was a retail supervisor. Every store has different rules, but... Well, resigning might be best, because you're almost 100% fired and if you aren't your trust is shot, it will be an unpleasant workplace. Everything that comes after will be either criminal or civil and require a lawyer. The common norm in US retail is that if the items are surrendered and the employee quits on their own, things are dropped. This is not at all a universal, though, some stores prosecute as a rule. And even if it's policy I wouldn't count on it, the store managers could hand it off to police and not alert corporate that they're going beyond LP policy. Talk to a lawyer, and review your employee handbook.

Hevach on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Also, don't shit where you eat.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Also, don't fucking steal shit.

Fixed.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    How old are you?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Steal to keep your family from starving. Be willing to miss a meal here or there if its just for you.

Don't even fucking consider it for any other reason because you can ruin your fucking life over petty selfish bullshit. It's a childish petty impulse you are feeding, be better then that.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I note you are from the UK.

If your employer reports it to the Police it depends on your previous history. Have you done anything like this before?

If not it'll potentially be dealt with very lightly by the police via something called restorative justice which doesn't appear on your criminal record.

I don't want to upset you but if they're going to call the police they'll be calling them regardless of whether you go to the meeting or not.

Not meeting your managers will likely antagonise them. It could be seen as a positive sign that they want you to come in for a meeting and haven't already immediately fired you.

For such a low level value of theft I highly doubt the police will be there waiting to throw you in custody, they simply don't have the time and resources to do that.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Dude, when people think "stealing from work" they mean shit like the occasional pen or something, not fucking powertools! You're probably just going to have to take whats coming to you.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    You're probably fired (but maybe not!), but you can probably get them to forgo any criminal charges by just going in and abjectly apologizing for your actions. Don't argue, don't complain, just apologize. Every place is different, but if they didn't call the police immediately and instead just want to talk to you, then that is at least somewhat of a good sign for you. Getting the police involved is a pain in the ass for everyone involved, and if they don't feel that they need to make an example of you (because you sincerely apologized) then so much the better.

Also, the bit about being scared about going in because they might call the cops. Well, they have your phone number and probably your address. Not showing up does precisely squat to the police being able to find you. Just man up and go in.

Blarghy on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Blarghy wrote: »
    You're probably fired (but maybe not!), but you can probably get them to forgo any criminal charges by just going in and abjectly apologizing for your actions. Don't argue, don't complain, just apologize. Every place is different, but if they didn't call the police immediately and instead just want to talk to you, then that is at least somewhat of a good sign for you. Getting the police involved is a pain in the ass for everyone involved, and if they don't feel that they need to make an example of you (because you sincerely apologized) then so much the better.

This.

For the police to do anything the store will have to make an official complaint.

Because they've asked for a meeting it sounds like they want you to apologize and then for you to resign. From experience if they wanted to prosecute you they wouldn't be calling you back in as they'd know your details to pass to the police directly.

Be humble and apologize profusely and take this as an opportunity to examine what you did wrong and to learn from it.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Blarghy wrote: »

This.

For the police to do anything the store will have to make an official complaint.

Because they've asked for a meeting it sounds like they want you to apologize and then for you to resign. From experience if they wanted to prosecute you they wouldn't be calling you back in as they'd know your details to pass to the police directly.

Be humble and apologize profusely and take this as an opportunity to examine what you did wrong and to learn from it.

Listen to this advice. Attend the meeting and just be very apologetic. If the U.K. is anything like the US in this regard, the meeting may consist of just your managers, or your managers and Loss Prevention rep depending on the company. They most likely just want to find out if it was a one time thing, or if you had stolen before, and if so will want whatever it was returned.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Dude, when people think "stealing from work" they mean shit like the occasional pen or something, not fucking powertools! You're probably just going to have to take whats coming to you.
    My company has an office supply amnesty day at the beginning of the year where everyone brings in the office supplies that left the office, and whatever money we save on office supply budgeting we buy pizzas with.

In terms of the OP.
    I have mixed emotions about this. I've fired people for theft before, it's the most common thing I've had for cause to terminate. I've even terminated someone for tool theft before. I personally have never referred anything like that to the police.

Since your in retail you probably can't afford a Solicitor to get advice from.

If it were me personally I wouldn't go in give a statement and hand them the tool back, because that is admitting guilt giving a statement in front of witnesses and essentially giving the police a slam dunk case. I personally would retain legal counsel, whatever I could afford, then I'd call and resign. They would likely hold my last check to pay for the tool. I would not fight this particular one in labor court.

I would find another job, not talk about it and not post about it on the internet.

And don't steal shit. It's a terrible practice.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    On the one hand, admitting guilt is bad and they can absolutely press charges and all that.

On the other hand, seeking legal council might be overkill for this.

What would I do? I'd probably return it or pay for it, apologize for the confusion and hassle, and put in my resignation.

What you should do? Probably go in, and don't admit to or do anything until you know what they're going to do. If they don't want to press charges and just want you to return it and resign, then do that. If they're going to press charges regardless of whatever you do, then do what So It Goes and Dispatch said.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    I don't know of any company that would allow an employee to get caught stealing and keep their job. MAYBE a Mom & Pop type store, but anything bigger has a no tolerance policy. You are done. They have suspended you until they can fire you.

Write an apology. I am super paranoid, so I would not put anything in it that could be considered a "confession". Merely apologize for you actions (in general), state you made a mistake, lapse in judgment etc. Also type up a resignation letter.

Also, remember the feeling as you walk in there and face the music and let that be etched in your brain, should you ever consider to "borrow" items ever again.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    You should go in for the meeting. Own what you did. You have already admitted guilt to them and signed paperwork. Apologize, accept that you lost your job and resign if possible. If it were me and I had been caught out like that, I'd want to speak to the person in charge of the store and offer to reimburse them for the stolen merchandise. Obviously you might not have the means at the moment but it's probably the right thing to do.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Just a heads up folks, this meeting the OP talks about was like a week ago. So I think advice is a little too late.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    You say you dont want to get in trouble but you are already in trouble. Whatever happens to you as a result of this, keep this in mind and have this conversation with yourself *BEFORE* you think about doing something so stupid again.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Considering that we cant give this guy legal advice and he shouldn't continue to post about it, I'm going to go ahead and lock this.

This discussion has been closed.