As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Russia/Trump investigation thread; Down the never ending rabbit hole

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Rachel Maddow's opening story last night was about a young man that kept a diary during Watergate that ended up getting used during that investigation. So it's very possible Spicer's notes could be subpoenaed and provide useful information.

Writing notes about him seems to be Trump's Kryptonite.

This just helps prove my point, that everyone should watch the Wire, if only to hear Stringer Bell's advice.

...or just not engage in criminal fucking conspiracies.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Butters wrote: »
    Rachel Maddow's opening story last night was about a young man that kept a diary during Watergate that ended up getting used during that investigation. So it's very possible Spicer's notes could be subpoenaed and provide useful information.

Unfortunately I don't think Spicer ever had the level of access to make him all that important at least not since Trump took office. Among his many struggles at the podium he was often unable to comment on the specifics of the President's position on issues and there were many reports that he didn't interact with Trump directly as much as he should have.

There might be information to be important there, maybe not ground breaking but you never know. It's not what he couldn't say to the press, it's what he saw/heard behind the scenes.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Unfortunately I don't think Spicer ever had the level of access to make him all that important at least not since Trump took office. Among his many struggles at the podium he was often unable to comment on the specifics of the President's position on issues and there were many reports that he didn't interact with Trump directly as much as he should have.

Maybe, but even if Spicer has no details of specific wrong doings, his notes can still corroborate or contradict other people's testimony or set up clear dates and times of who was were. An example would be if, say, Flynn said he couldn't possibly do X because he was having a meeting with Y and Z. If Spicer's notes are detailed enough, his notes could say that no, Flynn was not at the meeting because Spicer clearly recorded which people were there at the specific time.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular

Maybe, but even if Spicer has no details of specific wrong doings, his notes can still corroborate or contradict other people's testimony or set up clear dates and times of who was were. An example would be if, say, Flynn said he couldn't possibly do X because he was having a meeting with Y and Z. If Spicer's notes are detailed enough, his notes could say that no, Flynn was not at the meeting because Spicer clearly recorded which people were there at the specific time.

Plus this was the early Trump White House. Apparently people just wandered in and out of the oval office at will. Who knows what random Trump rant someone might have been exposed to?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We're getting way off topic here ppl

• Options

Are we? Spicy had a somewhat fruitful career working in the White House which Mueller may have interest him talking about what he knows, and when.

• Options

In what way? Mueller's team has specifically asked for White House notes and news of Spicer having a detailed notes is relevant to the discussion and Watergate comparisons are on topic.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've always assumed Spicer was 100% in the dark.. and probably intentionally, so he could claim plausable deniability. This would go doubly so for Russian stuff. Other Trump scandals? Maybe. But it wasn't like he was really helping direct the President's official message.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've always assumed Spicer was 100% in the dark.. and probably intentionally, so he could claim plausable deniability. This would go doubly so for Russian stuff. Other Trump scandals? Maybe. But it wasn't like he was really helping direct the President's official message.

Like, in an actual white house, sure but:
    1) Requires the Trumpster to think he was doing wrong by talking to Russia.
    2) Requires the Trumpster to take action based on long term planning.

Both of those make me doubt it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

He doesn't have to be "in" - all he has to do is report what he saw, something which may have been weird or mundane to him might be noteworthy to the investigation. Or Trump may have have been saying incriminating stuff, that guy has no filter.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Mueller's investigation isn't limited to Russia anymore. It is now clear he is investigating the firing of Comey as a potential act of obstructing justice.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Like, in an actual white house, sure but:
    1) Requires the Trumpster to think he was doing wrong by talking to Russia.
    2) Requires the Trumpster to take action based on long term planning.

Both of those make me doubt it.

Nah, Press secretary needs to know, because you can't lie well if you don't know the truth.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It was hoax o'clock this morning. Donald Trump is the President and also a dotard.

The Russia hoax continues, now it's ads on Facebook. What about the totally biased and dishonest Media coverage in favor of Crooked Hillary?
    The greatest influence over our election was the Fake News Media "screaming" for Crooked Hillary Clinton. Next, she was a bad candidate!

Yeah, all that wall to wall positive coverage of Clinton that wasn't solely "but her emails." I know I remember it. Wait no, I don't.

But it was apparently the greatest influence over the election and somehow she still lost?

Also yes. Completely verifiable facts admitted to by Facebook itself, is now a hoax.

• Options
    I also seem to remember the media covering Hillary's speech to union leaders instead of Trump's empty podium.

Oh wait! It was the exact fucking opposite!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The media generally covered Trump like they cover natural disasters. They just couldn't keep their eyes away from the car crash. They didn't realize or care that this meant that 90% of all coverage in the election was Trump-related, making him seem like he had momentum. They weren't generally all that complimentary about him, but they loved the viewing figures.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

As much as I despise Trump, sometimes I have to sit back and admire his gift for putting together a completely nonsensical tweet. This is really a masterpiece of what the actual fuck.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »

As much as I despise Trump, sometimes I have to sit back and admire his gift for putting together a completely nonsensical tweet. This is really a masterpiece of what the actual fuck.

Forget it Jake, it's covfefe.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Almost a year fucking later and the god damn winner of the election is still whining about it. what a baby. Like Trump the russian stuff has nothing to do with your whiny crap you stupid baby.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Still not a media thread btw

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Does Russia's reactions to American media count as on-topic? Because Russia is not happy with Morgan Freeman right now.

I hope Rob Reiner and Freeman were sufficiently circumspect about the possible consequences to Freeman of making that commercial.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Freeman is the most DGIF of the hollywood elite. Russia is upset with him? He's mother fucking god, what are you going to do to Morgan Freeman?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Does Russia's reactions to American media count as on-topic? Because Russia is not happy with Morgan Freeman right now.

I hope Rob Reiner and Freeman were sufficiently circumspect about the possible consequences to Freeman of making that commercial.

Oh God Freeman, I would be dying from laughter if this weren't so serious.
    The Rossiya 24 rolling news channel brought together a panel of psychiatrists, who attributed Morgan Freeman's performance to a Messianic complex resulting from playing God or the president in several films, not to mention "drug abuse".

The channel's eccentric weatherman Vadim Zavodchenkov also got in on the act, explaining that Mr Freeman was ill through "overwork and marijuana use".

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Diagnosing political dissidents with mental illness is a time-honored Russian tradition.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Did they really just accuse a black man of going crazy from marijuana use?

WHERE AM I? WHAT YEAR IS IT?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

0.8 Post Apocalypse

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    What's next, going after Tom Hanks?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    What's next, going after Tom Hanks?

Not black

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Yeah not really on topic to the investigation.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

Oh God Freeman, I would be dying from laughter if this weren't so serious.
    The Rossiya 24 rolling news channel brought together a panel of psychiatrists, who attributed Morgan Freeman's performance to a Messianic complex resulting from playing God or the president in several films, not to mention "drug abuse".

The channel's eccentric weatherman Vadim Zavodchenkov also got in on the act, explaining that Mr Freeman was ill through "overwork and marijuana use".

This act of the play is called “Get busy living or get busy lyin.”

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Stop and think about how many black people actually live in russia and this ort of stereotype makes a lot more sense.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Did anymore details about the stuff requested from the White House surface, or is it still just vague 'documents'?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Counterpoint: these people don't seem to have much notion of not saying important things to unimportant people.

Counterpoint: there's not much that's more important to Trump than his public popularity.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Did anymore details about the stuff requested from the White House surface, or is it still just vague 'documents'?

Maddow had a list of like 13 different specific topics on her show the other day plus I think now he wants Air Force One phone records from the day Trump crafted juniors statement.

The Maddow Blog put out a list.
    1. Internal communications and documents related to Mike Flynn's FBI interview in January.
    2. Documents related to Flynn`s conversations with the Russian ambassador in December.
    3. Records on acting Attorney General Sally Yates' warnings to the White House about Flynn.
    4. Materials related to Flynn's departure from the White House.
    5. Communications on Trump's campaign foreign-policy team, which may have included at least one suspected Russian agent.
    6. Documents related to Trump's meetings with former FBI Director James Comey before his firing.
    7. Records of internal White House discussions about Comey's firing.
    8. Documents related to external White House communications about Comey's firing.
    9. Documents related to Sean Spicer's comments about Comey the week before his firing.
    10. Materials related to Trump's Oval Office meeting with Russian officials the day after Comey's firing.
    11. Records related to last summer's Trump Tower meeting between top members of Trump's team and Putin-connected Russians.
    12. Documents related to the White House's response to media inquiries about the Trump Tower meeting.
    13. Any email or document the White House holds that relates to Paul Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    my question is: does it look like Trump is going to supply any of what has been requested?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    They kind of have to, or that's just blatant obstruction.

They can say "we don't have it" but then if they do and it gets to Mueller anyway they are doubled fucked for lying about it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    They kind of have to, or that's just blatant obstruction.

They can say "we don't have it" but then if they do and it gets to Mueller anyway they are doubled fucked for lying about it.

i mean, they could also only supply some of what Mueller is requesting, and claim exec privilege on withheld items.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    I don't think you can executive privilege your way out of this.

• Options

Oh but they will certainly try!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »

Trump is more impervious to logical consequences or accountability than the kid whose response when told he has been shot during a pretend gunfight is, "Nuh uh!"

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

And it'll take fuck knows how long to settle the matter.

Remember, Trump's got a well established legal strategy. It's not be right or be covered by contracts, it's just to keep the game going. He's never tried to do this against somebody not funding their side out of pocket (especially pockets left empty by his own unpaid debts).

This discussion has been closed.