As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] Gettin' the Band Back Together.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »
    Really well written"review" of Destiny 2 on Kotaku. I think he did a good job of capturing the essence of the experience and how it affects people.

Jesus christ that review is like war and peace.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Malakaius wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    I am the fucking worst when it comes to remembering everyone I did things with in this game. I think @Malakaius and @Khildith carried me through (my first) Nightfall last night after we tooled around on the final encounter of the Raid last night. I wanted to thank them for doing so, because it wound up getting me my Rat King completion, along with enough loot to bump me four points to hit 290.

Also, @HooverFan sorry about this morning. I was actually in the middle of saying "stick around because I have to go to work" but you left before I got past "Hey, hoover..." :(

Might have been us, yep. And yes we were forming up to do the nightfall when Hoover joined the fireteam this morning and I invited him to the PSN party to ask him to drop from the fireteam as our 3rd was loading in. His reaction was entirely uncalled for and if he had stayed in the party instead of swearing at us and leaving @Fawst was going to offer him his spot.

Is this the kind of bullshit you guys deal with when I'm not around?

See? Stop playing without me and you wouldn't have to deal with this.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I do have to say it can feel real lonely when you see clan people doing things but you personally don't get invited or worse get over booked invited destiny 1 tended to have this issue as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Really well written"review" of Destiny 2 on Kotaku. I think he did a good job of capturing the essence of the experience and how it affects people.

In that it was TL:DR?

Absolutely.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    My review of destiny 2.

"I took off two weeks of work to play it played it over 12 hours a day for that two week period, and I'm fucking jonesing to go back and play some right now."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    I do have to say it can feel real lonely when you see clan people doing things but you personally don't get invited or worse get over booked invited destiny 1 tended to have this issue as well.

I think this is where something like keyboard chat to have a "guild chat" like in WoW would be amazing. Those mass PSN messages are annoying as balls. I'd be nice to just type up something in-game that everybody in the clan can see the text pop up in a small corner. Or something. I don't know how they could do something to improve this. I know personally when I'm in-game and even just farming public event with 1 other person, I don't look at my phone clan Destiny app or the forums.

Maybe just have something where the clan roster can be split up in a "Wanna do something" section where you mark yourself as someone looking to do stuff? Maybe we can coordinate an emblem that means LFG! Aha.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ah, looks like they finished modifying the Road Complex gloves. Nice, I liked the look and I was having trouble getting the amount of recovery I wanted without them. Kinda hope they make some new logo-looking sort of thing to replace the one they removed, I kinda liked the aesthetic they were going for with that.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

Dont be shy to jump into parties (as long as you see they aren't in the raid or trials). I know at least on the Xbox side I've never felt like its a bad thing to do and I've been able to group up and do lots of cool stuff with new people as a result.

Plus I mean most people know you. You have been one of us for a long time. You ain't intruding.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Over-long and self-indulgent, yep.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Dont be shy to jump into parties (as long as you see they aren't in the raid or trials). I know at least on the Xbox side I've never felt like its a bad thing to do and I've been able to group up and do lots of cool stuff with new people as a result.

Plus I mean most people know you. You have been one of us for a long time. You ain't intruding.

This goes counter to me socially. Like anytime I join a party I always feel like i'm intruding. Socially I have a huge ton of hang ups. If I'm not invited I feel bad for joining anything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular

This goes counter to me socially. Like anytime I join a party I always feel like i'm intruding. Socially I have a huge ton of hang ups. If I'm not invited I feel bad for joining anything.

This is me in a nutshell. I have to give myself a pep talk every time I join a party chat in order to get my brain to shut up. So most of the time I just do things solo hoping for some kind of invite. It's entirely stupid but it's hard to quiet your brain.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I used to feel the same way. As soon as you do it a few times (again, making sure you aren't jumping into a serious raid or trials party) and realize that this community is open to people joining parties, that anxiety will fade. Imo, of course.

But I guess I will just have to be spamming you party invites whenever I see you on...

ObiFett on
  • Options

I used to feel the same way. As soon as you do it a few times (again, making sure you aren't jumping into a serious raid or trials party) and realize that this community is open to people joining parties, that anxiety will fade. Imo, of course.

But I guess I will just have to be spamming you party invites whenever I see you on...

Please do! When I'm online I'm usually just doing some public events or whatever to get my daily exotic, but I'd totes be down for group stuff. I want to do group stuff!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    El Mucho wrote: »

This is me in a nutshell. I have to give myself a pep talk every time I join a party chat in order to get my brain to shut up. So most of the time I just do things solo hoping for some kind of invite. It's entirely stupid but it's hard to quiet your brain.

What's weird is people think of me at work as social and such, but inwardly I'm horrible at anything and constantly afraid I offend or anger people, so I find myself eating lunch alone, hurrying back to my desk to post on the forums.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hey can someone accept my invitation to the overflow guild?

i accept you just as you are

i can't do anything about the guild but

i just wanted you to know

<3<3<3

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

What's weird is people think of me at work as social and such, but inwardly I'm horrible at anything and constantly afraid I offend or anger people, so I find myself eating lunch alone, hurrying back to my desk to post on the forums.

I think most people associate "talkative" with "social" when thats not necessarily always the case.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Y'all should join the pa discord to coordinate fire teams <_<;

*this post sponsored by PikaPuff

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    On the PS4 side of things, a few of us call that "party crashing" and we do it all the time (or did in D1). We are all part of a clan for a reason, so it shouldn't be taboo or anything.

My own personal guidelines for crashing a party are:

1. Is there at least one person in that group that I have run with. Like, ever.
    2. Is Iron Banner going on? People tend to jump in and out of groups regularly, and party crashing is a great way to see if it's cool to queue up for a slot.

That's pretty much it. If there's a raid being run, I almost never party crash. The only times I'll really join a raid party chat is if I've received an invite (even if it is an hour old, like last night; worked out cuz I got to join when someone had to drop) or if there are specific people in the group that I know (read: am reasonably sure) won't mind me listening in. If the conversation is totally chill, I'll stick around. If things sound sweaty or I'm asked to bow out, bye, talk to you later. No harm no foul.

• Options

I think most people associate "talkative" with "social" when thats not necessarily always the case.

They totally do.

But in game, yeah if you see me online send me a party invite, though I do have the occasional mike issues because fucking live.

My buddy and me had to go to game chat, because he could hear me, but I Could not hear him in a live party.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular

I felt the same sometimes still do. I ideally just shoot a msg out 1st. If you ever see me on hop in any time. I'm always up for shenanigans.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    In D1 I would look at party numbers:
    2/8- oh maybe I can join their fire team for pvp or pve or whatever they are planning
    5/8- oh maybe I can join for a raid or pvp

Now in D2 it's a little odd
    2/8- oh I can join for pve
    3/8- uh are they full? Or do they need a fourth for pvp?
    5/8- raaaaaaaaaaid add me plz

Also I press triangle to see if they are all playing d2; if they are all playing different games it's probably a friend social thing I won't interrupt

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    On the PS4 side of things, a few of us call that "party crashing" and we do it all the time (or did in D1). We are all part of a clan for a reason, so it shouldn't be taboo or anything.

My own personal guidelines for crashing a party are:

1. Is there at least one person in that group that I have run with. Like, ever.
    2. Is Iron Banner going on? People tend to jump in and out of groups regularly, and party crashing is a great way to see if it's cool to queue up for a slot.

That's pretty much it. If there's a raid being run, I almost never party crash. The only times I'll really join a raid party chat is if I've received an invite (even if it is an hour old, like last night; worked out cuz I got to join when someone had to drop) or if there are specific people in the group that I know (read: am reasonably sure) won't mind me listening in. If the conversation is totally chill, I'll stick around. If things sound sweaty or I'm asked to bow out, bye, talk to you later. No harm no foul.

Yeah, like @Baske and @Brogey jumped into our raid party last night, but they mainly just said "Hey" and then lurked and listened to us get frustrated at the Gauntlet encounter. And it was good that Baske was there because when Nos had to bail, Baske jumped right in his place and helped us keep trying.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Okay, so let's talk about how to play with other humans for a minute.

I feel like the general etiquette / best practice is to hop into a PSN party chat if you see one that you want to join. Say hi, introduce yourself if you don't know anyone there yet, and see what they're doing. It's always worked for me. At worst it's "Oh, we're raiding, hang around and when we're done we'll do some other shit", so I can chill in the party chat and feel a little less lonely while doing some housekeeping or solo grinding until someone drops or the group splits up.

For all intents and purposes, PSN parties are our guild chat, broken up into smaller rooms. You just might have to bounce between a couple to find folks looking to take you on if it's a busy night. This is just how it's going to work. Forums and the Destiny app work okay, too, but half of us don't really keep an eye on those while actually playing, so PSN chat wins in the end. You just gotta start adding folks from the clan and making friends. None of us bite. I've never turned down a friend request from a PA clan homie.

I just want to stress that it's kind of bad form to jump straight into an in-game party and then get upset at the party hosts if they're not looking for someone to jump in (or if they are waiting for another specific person that's on their way). You've got no business demanding First Come First Served. Especially because almost everyone I know in the clan uses PSN party chat to organize, so you're just going to be sitting there unable to hear anyone if you didn't hop into the party chat first anyway. A little "Hey dudes, what're you guys up to?" first goes a long way. Unless you're Happy, then you just slide in there Kramer-style and don't give no fucks. ( I love you, Happy <3 )

I mean, I know there are no rules about this stuff carved into stone, but that kinda makes sense, as a general rule of thumb, right guys?

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    All I have to say is this is why I can only be summoned out of the aether. :pop:

Too much thinking/effort for my lazy shoot mans times.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    All I have to say is this is why I can only be summoned out of the aether. :pop:

Too much thinking/effort for my lazy shoot mans times.

You are missing out on like 4 awesome engrams a week by not being in the clan, tho

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Joining parties for me is actually less socially awkward than starting a party up whole cloth out of individuals. Like it is easier to see 2 or 3 people in a party and hop in than see 3 people on their own and try to pull them all together. "What if they are meditatively running Nessus patrols and want to be left alone?" says brain.

Brain is often wrong. Just ask folks, even if sending a message before the party invite/join.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    re: thoughts of intrusion

you can join me anytime, my brain isn't thinking you're intruding or not welcome, it's thinking "cool, what can I do now that I couldn't by myself?"

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    As someone who mostly lurks on the forums and hasn't run anything with the clan (PS4), the fragmentation between Discord, PSN, the forums, and the clan chat is what leaves me confused about where to go to hook up with folks.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    does ps4 have the "appear offline" option yet?

i love that on xbone because i am sometimes just feeling totally antisocial and just want to pew mans so i'll just go offline and do my own thing

last i knew you couldn't do that on ps4 so i just have never tried

but it does avoid the whole "oh man, sorry bro, i'd normally be cool with grouping but right now i'm just doing my own thing" thing

basically, for me at least, if you see me online, i'm up for group stuff

if i'm not up for group stuff, you won't see me online

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    fortis wrote: »
    As someone who mostly lurks on the forums and hasn't run anything with the clan (PS4), the fragmentation between Discord, PSN, the forums, and the clan chat is what leaves me confused about where to go to hook up with folks.

destiny still doesn't do a great job of resolving this either

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Nightfall completed for Xbox Arcadia prime.

253J736.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

i love that on xbone because i am sometimes just feeling totally antisocial and just want to pew mans so i'll just go offline and do my own thing

but it does avoid the whole "oh man, sorry bro, i'd normally be cool with grouping but right now i'm just doing my own thing" thing

When you log in, press start instead of X and you get to choose being invisible. Or go to your status after logging in and change to "appear offline".

Also, Heroic Public Events (at least on Titan) seem to have new named boss adds that join the fight. It's rad.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular

It does yeah, you still show up on the clan tab though which isn't great.

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »

Now I'm more anxious to get home from work. Got my titan up so I'm ready to raid on all my toons raid ready so ill or only throw a raid or 2 up the 100 depending depending on my schedule.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Awesome. By the time I log on tomorrow night I should have the nightfall reward (thanks to you and yours) and the Raid one (thanks to NAT Burn)!

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

It does yeah, you still show up on the clan tab though which isn't great.

well that uh

kind of defeats the purpose

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Pro-Tip: Break the ice of joining random clan parties by loudly exclaiming "HEY MOTHERFUCKERS!" as soon as you enter chat.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Yes, it does. Also private parties.

It's true that it was a little easier in the days of 6v6 Crucible to send mass invites and also hop into a 6-8-person PS Party and queue up to replace the first sixth-man to leave. With 4v4, it's a little harder. I was trying to set up a Trials group the other day and ended up sending a ton of "Trials?" invites, which... I guess is the prevailing way of doing things, if you're trying to fill a spot. But that can be a little awkward if a few people accept and you suddenly have 5-6.

Oh well. I suppose I'm going to keep sending mass invites for stuff. If you get one, no need to respond. When Iron Banner rolls around, mass invites and PS Parties are definitely the way to go, and you should expect to see/use both.

Edit: For consistency's sake, I believe Strikes should have been 4-man. I don't care if that makes it too easy. It's worth not having to finagle fireteam membership. We had a 4-person Trials group together the other day and @Disrupter felt pressured to leave when the subject of the Nightfall came up. He didn't really seem to care, but I did. Would have been better not to break the flow and allow all of us to just jump into a different type of activity together.

I am really hoping that Iron Banner surprises us and is 6v6. Or that Faction Rally is that.

Edit2: What if Faction Rally is 4v4v4?! Wild.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    If you've applied to the PC Clan, you have probably been accepted! Still plenty of room. I have too many PMs to reply to each one individually but I have approved everyone so far and we'll clean it out as necessary.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Bless you.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
This discussion has been closed.