As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My girlfriends mom found out and I need help

jour03jour03 Registered User new member
I was texting my girlfriend and I started messing with her and her mom took her phone at the wrong time. I said she is sweet and spicy meaning kind but can get mean (not to me) but her mom didn't understand and said "I do not appreciate the way you are speaking to her. She will NOT be talking to you anytime soon!" Then I tried to apologize and explain but she said no use and she will be telling the father.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How old are you?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    What part of this did you need help with?

I don't think there's anything you can really do, going by the tone and description of the event, you're both minors who live at home and there's really no help beyond apologizing and asking your girlfriend to try to explain it to them as well. They accept the apology/explanation or don't.

Do you have any sort of relationship with her parents? Have you talked on the phone with them before? Have you been introduced?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    There's not much help to give, really. Minors living at home. Within those boundaries your respective parents are the law, and hers have laid down the law.

Now, told to end a relationship, 95% of teenagers will disobey. I would caution against the trouble her parents can cause her, and especially you (and if you take their daughter to your place potentially your parents) if they pick this as their hill to die on. It's not smart or rational, but... Well, as a dad, we are not the most rational when it comes to our kids.

Hevach on
  • Options
    jour03jour03 Registered User new member
    I just turned 17 and she turns 17 next month. She told me I can't meet her parents because they don't want her dating until she moves out

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    To me it seems that the only recourse here is to see if you can somehow introduce your parents to her parents (assuming your parents are OK with you dating). If that line of communication is open (and the two sets of parents actually get along), her parents might feel more comfortable letting the two of you see each other.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    jour03 wrote: »
    I just turned 17 and she turns 17 next month. She told me I can't meet her parents because they don't want her dating until she moves out

I would say then the misunderstanding is irrelevant. You never had nor were you ever going to have her parents understanding or approval. We can have all sorts of opinions on the right or wrong of it, but Hevach has it. It's their house, she's not an adult and her parents have every right to set whatever rules they want. Fair or not.

I would caution against pressing the issue with her or her parents, there really isn't any way of winning and there are a lot of ways this can make her life (and possibly your life) very difficult. Teenage emotions and hormones and all will make this all feel very complicated, but it isn't really.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Having been a 17 year old boy only just over a decade ago I understand that the previous posts probably aren't what you want to hear e.g. her parents are the authority and it doesn't matter if it's fair or unfair from your perspective. But having been in a similar situation (mine was a bit more complicated as the grandparents really, really liked me but the parent in the situation really, really hated me) it's so much more trouble than it's worth. If you push it you will be making a huge investment of time and grief over something that is very unlikely to last that long. Additionally, she has to live with her parents (not literally with them, but remain connected to them) for the rest of her or their lives. You are just some boy that she'll possibly end up not that interested in and anything negative you say about her parents or any negative attitude you have towards her parents is putting her in an unfair situation where she might feel that she's being asked to choose between dating you and, at the least, being on good terms with her family.

It's not worth it, you're only 17, you'll be a completely different person in a few years and there are always, always, always other people out there worth dating.

edit: in my case pushing the issue only made it worse. While the parent couldn't outright stop her from seeing me because the grandparents liked me, the parent made it very difficult by restricting where she could go and how many times we were allowed to see each other (for example if we had a class together that was it, we were only allowed to see each other, but if we didn't we could see each other one day a week on Sundays). And all it did was cause issues. And not only was it not that long of a "relationship", but having looked back on it it was very toxic and not helped by the pressure of the parent which affected not only her school day but mine as well. And after a lot of the issues I broke up with her and ended up a long time later dating someone for a much longer time in a much healthier relationship.

It sounds like the bullshit I'm sure your parents are telling you and that you don't want to hear anymore, but right now just worry more about finishing high school and work on what you're going to do after.

NSDFRand on
  • Options

So, quick take, her parents are way down the wrong side of rational and reasonable on this if this is their rule. It's not fair, and I say this as a dad who would probably make such a rule and need my wife to stop me, but it's also not a fight you'll win if her parents are unified on this.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

So, quick take, her parents are way down the wrong side of rational and reasonable on this if this is their rule. It's not fair, and I say this as a dad who would probably make such a rule and need my wife to stop me, but it's also not a fight you'll win if her parents are unified on this.

Don't place your values on others, man.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

How much are you really dating, then? Part of dating is having pretty open communication and understanding about what's going on. It doesn't mean you need to get matching t-shirts and announce every thing to the world, but it does mean that if someone's living under their parents' roof and the parent says "you're not dating until you move out," then, well, you're not really dating. Your girlfriend is sneaking around. That doesn't mean she's not trying, but it means that you basically have no recourse. There is no "dating police."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Also something to keep in mind @jour03, even if her parents recognize, as other posters here who are parents may have, rationally that their actions may have the opposite intended effect (and may lead to crazy consequences as I found out) you have to keep in mind that they are doing what they think is best for their daughter. Even if it means that as soon as you guys stop talking she starts secretly dating a 36 year old man while still in high school, gets married against the wishes of her parents, and then ends up in an abusive relationship.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Also something to keep in mind @jour03, even if her parents recognize, as other posters here who are parents may have, rationally that their actions may have the opposite intended effect (and may lead to crazy consequences as I found out) you have to keep in mind that they are doing what they think is best for their daughter. Even if it means that as soon as you guys stop talking she starts secretly dating a 36 year old man while still in high school, gets married against the wishes of her parents, and then ends up in an abusive relationship.

wait what

stop

jour03, dispatch.0 is almost certainly right on this one. You both live at home. For her, that means no dating till she isn't anymore, and her parents aren't open to discussion on the matter. I think you'll need to find a way to be happy with the time you get at school.

• Options
    I agree with dispatch.0, my post isn't arguing against his take and neither does my previous post. I've been in almost the exact same situation as the OP and was attempting to show sympathy with the OP, provide a perspective on pretty much his/her exact situation that has had time to sit and mature, do so without being condescending because he/she is young, and provide a little different perspective than "you guys weren't actually dating because the adults say so".

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also, since you will turn 18 before she does, once you turn 18 do not, and I repeat as strongly as possible, do not have any form of sexual relations at all with her until she too reaches 18. If her parents feel this way at this stage of the relationship they will possibly pursue any way to make your life difficult, up to and including accusing you of statutory rape and reporting you to the police. Even if you're covered by the law (e.g., Romeo and Juliet exceptions) that's still a major headache for your life, as well as your parents. And if you're not covered by the law the consequences will stay with you for the rest of your life.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    As long as you're doing well in school and not breaking the law, be as free and emotionally reckless as you want. If I recall correctly, that's what being a foolish teenager is all about. Everything may seem like it matters a lot, but the fact is nothing that happens now will really matter once you're in college. Chances are you're not going to listen to us boring adults anyway so just do your thing.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Enc wrote: »

"You can't date until you move out" = "You can't get any experience with relationships while I'm still present and available to supervise and intervene if necessary." It's head-in-the-sand parenting.

edit: but yeah, there's nothing jour03 can or should try to do about it. Their house; their rules.

Calica on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Calica wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

"You can't date until you move out" = "You can't get any experience with relationships while I'm still present and available to supervise and intervene if necessary." It's head-in-the-sand parenting.

edit: but yeah, there's nothing jour03 can or should try to do about it. Their house; their rules.

I agree with you, but it's not our place to tell people how to raise their kid.

Edit: Not going to get into a prolonged argument about this, but this isn't the hot-takes thread and debating it, nor informing the OP about our opinions on teenaged dating customs, aren't going to either help the OP (because him telling the Girlfriend's parents that he knows better than them will not help), nor the OP (as he clearly already has that opinion).

Enc on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone was doing that. Everyone is certainly allowed to voice their opinions on the matter, including making judgments about the actual effects the rules parents enforce may or may not have.

What if jour manages to convince them to change their minds using that reasoning, and it ends up working to the benefit of everyone? Is that still telling people how to raise their kids, and therefore wrong?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, no one was doing that, Enc. Telling the op he is dealing with someone who is not engaging him in a discussion but setting an arbitrary rule that isn't his to obey, let alone debate, is barely passing judgement, let alone enforcing a change in values on them. It is telling him this is an argument he probably won't even be able to have, and certainly not win.

His girlfriend might be able to have it, and maybe even win it if she can win one parent separately first, but bringing a boy home isn't the starting point for that argument.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I think you've got what you need.

This discussion has been closed.