Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Attention to Orders: Penny Arcade's [Military Thread] is Open!!!

12346»

Posts

  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Perfect opportunity to hang around aviation warrants and get some good recommendations for WOCS. That and immense feeling of pride and satisfaction that only comes being part of THE DIVISION.

  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    It's the end of an era.

    https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/16/goodbye-jeff-and-tina-cyber-awareness-challenge-ditches-corny-characters.html?fbclid=IwAR27PnXkqKuUZsErJlFqyubX6zqckjfqonnCSRCSkSBNtHy7AXj8RsoraAo
    There's something -- or a few someones -- missing from the 2019 Cyber Awareness Challenge, the Department of Defense's annual computer security training.

    Lovable sweater-vested narrator Jeff, misguided co-worker Tina and other characters are absent from the new challenge, which casts its user in the role of virtual superhero in a race to prevent a future cyber attack.

    PSN: jthomps_07 FFXIV: Agran Trask
    SmrtnikQuidThroDarkewolfezepherin
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Took me like 5 tries this year to race though it before NMCI connectivity timed out and i had to start over.

    steam_sig.png
  • ThroThro Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    It's the end of an era.

    https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/04/16/goodbye-jeff-and-tina-cyber-awareness-challenge-ditches-corny-characters.html?fbclid=IwAR27PnXkqKuUZsErJlFqyubX6zqckjfqonnCSRCSkSBNtHy7AXj8RsoraAo
    There's something -- or a few someones -- missing from the 2019 Cyber Awareness Challenge, the Department of Defense's annual computer security training.

    Lovable sweater-vested narrator Jeff, misguided co-worker Tina and other characters are absent from the new challenge, which casts its user in the role of virtual superhero in a race to prevent a future cyber attack.

    Whenever I feel like I'm doing a shitty job at work, I just think to myself "Hey, at least I'm not as bad as Tina."
    You will be missed.

    Guess I'll find out what changed in August, because I'll be damned if I'm doing that training early.
    Still not as bad as Tina!

    Smrtnikzepherin
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    My new favorites are the characters in Uncle Sam's OPSEC.

  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    The best change to the cybersecurity one was adding a pre-test to check what you remember from the last iteration.

    MugsleyQuidSmrtnikThrozepherin
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My new favorites are the characters in Uncle Sam's OPSEC.

    So and so wants to talk to you about football.

    SMASH

    steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I hit the girl scout with the mallet just on principle.

    MugsleyElvenshaeSmrtnikzepherin
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Instead of the normal commendation medal end of tour I’ve instead received a coin and letter of appreciation because I had the audacity to earn to achievement medals during sea duty.

    I did not get an end of tour commendation last time because I had the audacity to volunteer to quit shore duty early to go to sea duty and the command felt the shorter time didn’t justify one.

    Making it really hard for me to not finish out my career bitter as hell, Navy.

    Radiation
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    That sucks, but what the hell? Didn’t you just start this shore tour?

    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    That sucks, but what the hell? Didn’t you just start this shore tour?

    I short toured my last shore.

    This one imma milk for all I can. They’re already pushing for me to retour so I can retire out of here.

    Radiation
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Ah, ok. That’s the dream imo, retire off of shore at 20. I’d need to extend 24 months to make that happen. bleh

    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Bummer. All military branches have weird stuff like that. A buddy of mine who did way more operationally but hurt his back and so couldnt rock his PT tests got an achievement medal when he ETSd. I on the otherhand got a JCOM which felt wholly undeserved by comparison.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 13
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Bummer. All military branches have weird stuff like that. A buddy of mine who did way more operationally but hurt his back and so couldnt rock his PT tests got an achievement medal when he ETSd. I on the otherhand got a JCOM which felt wholly undeserved by comparison.

    I used to think medals other than the big ones (PH, BS w/ v, SS, MOH, and campaign ribbons) actually mattered until I deployed and experienced the circus of end of tour awards. End of tour awards lost a lot of their value in my eyes after that unless they were one of the big ones. Of course there are guys who got certificates of appreciation or challenge coins for doing real shit while people who sat on their asses got BS w/o v, JSCOMs, JSAMs etc.

    NSDFRand on
    The 2nd Amendment is unarguably one of the most liberal, liberating and radical statements ever made in human history.
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Unfortunately it's kinda the wild west when it comes to awards (my experience is Navy, so YMMV).

    On a basic level, awards have criteria for when you can give them out (and that on paper does include end of tour situations). But it all comes down to your middle/upper command on their preference between a letter of appreciation or up to a COM (there's room for a lot of discretion).

    Ideally, end of tours are nice because they let anyone who sees your ribbon rack know in general what you've done in your career (at least how many duty stations and if you did your job competently). But since there's so much discretion (and rules like you can't get two of an award from one command), it doesn't quite work out that way.

    The Navy makes that even more complex by weighing certain awards when it comes to advancement.

    Quid
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 14
    I understand why end of tour awards exist. Just as I understand why officers do the things they do for OER bullet points even if they don't actively contribute to, and even sometimes hinder, the mission.

    But seeing it go down first hand, including awards for a severely incompetent officer (who himself shit on end of tour awards in front of a group of junior enlisted for people who put in real work while he got handed a BS w/o v for doing jack shit) who was banned from using any phones for two weeks by our SIGINT Chief and an NCO who actively avoided work because he hated the job get an EoT award (which intersects with an issue in the CMF I was in in general) while junior enlisted who put in work were shafted, caused a severe drop in perceived value for me. It's not something unique to my experience of course. It's just the game.

    NSDFRand on
    The 2nd Amendment is unarguably one of the most liberal, liberating and radical statements ever made in human history.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Man I just found the recipe to chow hall yakisoba

    And I made it

    And it was damn fine.

    All my memories of my time in are always tempered against a harsh reality that everything has its ups and downs. Except DFAC yakisoba. That is pure.

    Make. Time.
    Diplominator
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Man I just found the recipe to chow hall yakisoba

    And I made it

    And it was damn fine.

    All my memories of my time in are always tempered against a harsh reality that everything has its ups and downs. Except DFAC yakisoba. That is pure.

    I was not aware that the primacy of DFAC yakisoba was a universal experience because I've only eaten at one base's DFACs.

    That stuff is really good though, particularly with some sriracha.

    jungleroomx
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    Man I just found the recipe to chow hall yakisoba

    And I made it

    And it was damn fine.

    All my memories of my time in are always tempered against a harsh reality that everything has its ups and downs. Except DFAC yakisoba. That is pure.

    I was not aware that the primacy of DFAC yakisoba was a universal experience because I've only eaten at one base's DFACs.

    That stuff is really good though, particularly with some sriracha.

    Its p simple. Garlic powder, ginger, salt, pepper, soy sauce. Onions, green peppers, green onions, ground beef, noodle of choice.

    But man it's so good.

    Make. Time.
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited July 15
    Speaking of awards, I just got an ARCOM. Feels good. I don't think it's typically for a 2LT to get one, but I've been here for almost 2 years waiting for my seat for flight school and spent a period as acting company commander. Limbo is ending soon and it feels nice to get some appreciation. I've had to aggressively fight to not be useless.

    I also feel a little guilty because I should have pushed for at least 2 people to get an AAM. One of them I sent up paperwork but I never followed through since I was only a stand in CC.

    furbat on
    RadiationElvenshae
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 17
    Congrats on the comm! Definitely uncommon for a new Lt to get one, so great work!

    Did you formally assume Command during that time period? Honestly I'm not sure what the Army requirements are to sign those items, but in the future lean into it.

    Different bosses treat things differently, but I've had great success punching above my weight class by roping my boss in early with a "I have this issue and I am going to do X about it on Y date, unless you say otherwise." Email. Then follow up in person a few days later and make sure they read it, clear up any questions and move out to. You might find you get more leeway than you imagined, especially if you have a good plan set up.

    With this scenario they may have just said "you can't sign that because reasons but if you route it to me, I will".

    Iceman.USAF on


  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    Long story short, I'm an aviation officer in the guard. BOLC is a big deal for us. Flight school is 16 months and when we come back we go on orders for 6 months of flight progression and get assigned to a flight company. Before flight school we get assigned to HHC as liaison officers. All the senior NCOs in HHC are AGR and work as BN staff. Commanders are typically only assigned a year of purgatory and are expected to do very little. As a liaison officers I'm expected to show up and pass my APFT. Typically the wait is about a year or so. Since I went through OCS and not ROTC the state is responsible for sending me to BOLC and I've been in limbo for the last 2 years.

    Last year our CC had their interstate transfer go through right before AT. We had drill that Friday, they called the BC stating they would not be attending the day before. Yeah...

    I showed up for drill at the start of AT and was told I was going to be the acting CC. I also did my best to BE the CC. It was a difficult situation. On one hand, none of the BN staff wanted to deal with an idiot 2LT trying to make decisions and hold meetings. This being my first AT I had no idea what to do. On the other hand, I was in front and had to take charge. On top of that, we were in a bad place. Most of our soldiers were without licenses to drive the convoy. A good number of our NCOs were given the go ahead to not attend AT and our 1SG showed up several days into AT. Ultimately, I think the opportunity benefited my career (and I enjoyed the experience). I ended up being in command for several months.

    And yeah, I really dropped the ball on pushing up the AAM last year. I pushed the paperwork up and never followed up on it. While it was never said, there was definitely a little bit of 'Dude, you realize you aren't really the CC right. Why are you pushing up awards?' There were a lot of strange moments during that time. I even had to council a 1LT.

    So much for that story being short... Also, I think the award was mostly about what did this year. But I doubt I would have gotten it had I not been the CC last AT if that makes sense.

    furbat on
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Apparently I picked up Chief this time

    God dammit

    ElvenshaeJohn MatrixCauldKetBraRadiationmosssnack
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Well, shit, nice work! I haven't heard who made it at my command yet.

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I was really comfortable and settled in as a senior E-6 though :(

  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Yeah, I remember back at DLI one of the staff Chiefs told us that non-LPO E6 was the best position in the Navy.

    You get less silly dress uniforms though!

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    I was put in charge of Pride Day.

    It's like they knew I'd been bashing the Chief's mess for the last few years.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I was put in charge of Pride Day.

    It's like they knew I'd been bashing the Chief's mess for the last few years.

    Don't fuck up.

    What is this I don't even.
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Apparently I picked up Chief this time

    God dammit

    Welcome to the mess! My command has one guy who was selected. He’s been having a tough time, but we pulled in today and hopefully some time with his wife will settle him out.

    PM me if you have any questions. Seriously, anything.

    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    Quid
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    So after being medically retired in January I've pretty much done nothing but hang out with my family, grow a monster beard and go to a million VA appointments.

    Now I start school again full time on the 26th. I'm honestly more scared of that, then going on a raid or any other hoah shit.

    I'm kinda envious of you guys, I would be getting looked at for E8 in 2020. Instead I will be going to classes with 20 year olds. At least in a couple years I will have a degree that matters and not the shit I got while I was in for the college credit points.

    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Mugsley
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    FWIW, class is a million times easier post military.

  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Have any of you guys used Voc Rehab? I got all the paperwork done and my appointment is on the 29th (three days after the semester starts, so I can't use that money this semester).

    I'm 80% disabled with the VA so I don't think I should have any issues. My electrical engineering courses require a lot of tools and computer stuff (hardware and CAD, coding software). So hopefully I can get all that paid for by them.

    Now to figure out if I can get them to pay me for the Glowforge I bought 6 months ago. I think I can swing it. It's for rapid prototyping my two projects I will have to complete to get my degree :)

    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Have any of you guys used Voc Rehab? I got all the paperwork done and my appointment is on the 29th (three days after the semester starts, so I can't use that money this semester).

    I'm 80% disabled with the VA so I don't think I should have any issues. My electrical engineering courses require a lot of tools and computer stuff (hardware and CAD, coding software). So hopefully I can get all that paid for by them.

    Now to figure out if I can get them to pay me for the Glowforge I bought 6 months ago. I think I can swing it. It's for rapid prototyping my two projects I will have to complete to get my degree :)

    Nice! How do you like the glowforge? I want to add a laser at home, but kinda hard to justify since I have a big ass laser at the makerspace near me.

    PSN: jfrofl
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 17
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    So after being medically retired in January I've pretty much done nothing but hang out with my family, grow a monster beard and go to a million VA appointments.

    Now I start school again full time on the 26th. I'm honestly more scared of that, then going on a raid or any other hoah shit.

    I'm kinda envious of you guys, I would be getting looked at for E8 in 2020. Instead I will be going to classes with 20 year olds. At least in a couple years I will have a degree that matters and not the shit I got while I was in for the college credit points.

    It's not that bad. There are a couple of things to keep in mind:


    You're going to see all of the traditional students (18-20) doing things like not paying attention during lecture and constantly showing up late.

    Because you're probably going to be trying harder, and learning and retaining more, the younger students are going to look to you during group assignments. Don't let them try and push off all the work or the hardest parts onto you just because you are more put together.

    There are probably other veterans in your classes with you so there is some opportunity for socializing with students of similar background, but get involved in organizations or clubs that aren't focused on being a veteran.

    The "professional veteran" uniform is cargo shorts, flip flops, Grunt Life Style t shirt, and a multicam baseball cap with IR flag. If you wear this there's a good chance other veteran students are going to make fun of you. It's like when you see a recruit in TRADOC wear their desert boots and a tan utility shirt with their jeans out to the club on their first weekend pass, it sticks out.

    Don't be afraid to let your personality become more than just being a veteran, but your experience can still be very valuable depending on what you're studying.

    NSDFRand on
    The 2nd Amendment is unarguably one of the most liberal, liberating and radical statements ever made in human history.
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Have any of you guys used Voc Rehab? I got all the paperwork done and my appointment is on the 29th (three days after the semester starts, so I can't use that money this semester).

    I'm 80% disabled with the VA so I don't think I should have any issues. My electrical engineering courses require a lot of tools and computer stuff (hardware and CAD, coding software). So hopefully I can get all that paid for by them.

    Now to figure out if I can get them to pay me for the Glowforge I bought 6 months ago. I think I can swing it. It's for rapid prototyping my two projects I will have to complete to get my degree :)

    Nice! How do you like the glowforge? I want to add a laser at home, but kinda hard to justify since I have a big ass laser at the makerspace near me.

    I love it, the fact that I can send a job to it from anywhere in the world is awesome(as long as my wife or kiddos are home to hit the glowing button for me :) ). The ease of use is hard to describe, some people hate that the functionality is all tied to their web service, but I like it. I can see how people would be worried if they went under then they have a 4-6.5k brick of a laser.

    My only wish is that it was a 80 watt laser and not 45. I would like the option to cut 1/2 ply or some other softer woods, but I guess I rarely find the need to go with that width of wood.

    If you ever want to try it, send me what you want cut and I'll hit the button for you :)


    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    So after being medically retired in January I've pretty much done nothing but hang out with my family, grow a monster beard and go to a million VA appointments.

    Now I start school again full time on the 26th. I'm honestly more scared of that, then going on a raid or any other hoah shit.

    I'm kinda envious of you guys, I would be getting looked at for E8 in 2020. Instead I will be going to classes with 20 year olds. At least in a couple years I will have a degree that matters and not the shit I got while I was in for the college credit points.

    It's not that bad. There are a couple of things to keep in mind:


    You're going to see all of the traditional students (18-20) doing things like not paying attention during lecture and constantly showing up late.

    Because you're probably going to be trying harder, and learning and retaining more, the younger students are going to look to you during group assignments. Don't let them try and push off all the work or the hardest parts onto you just because you are more put together.

    There are probably other veterans in your classes with you so there is some opportunity for socializing with students of similar background, but get involved in organizations or clubs that aren't focused on being a veteran.

    The "professional veteran" uniform is cargo shorts, flip flops, Grunt Life Style t shirt, and a multicam baseball cap with IR flag. If you wear this there's a good chance other veteran students are going to make fun of you. It's like when you see a recruit in TRADOC wear their desert boots and a tan utility shirt with their jeans out to the club on their first weekend pass, it sticks out.

    Don't be afraid to let your personality become more than just being a veteran, but your experience can still be very valuable depending on what you're studying.

    Well, you don't have to worry about me. The only thing that would signal me as a veteran is my glorious beard or my purple heart plates (never got a speeding ticket sporting it :) ). I make fun of the dbags that wear any of that shit. The only people I ever see wearing gruntstyle clothing are the guys who have never spent any time as an infantryman and any infantryman worth his salt would never be caught wearing that shit.

    I do have a green colored Bengals hat that my wife got me for Christmas last year. I won't be wearing that in class anyways.

    Thanks for all the other advice though!

    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
Sign In or Register to comment.