As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OWL returns to The OVERWATCH Thread

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    FFA death match is starting to turn into Hanzotown USA and it's not very fun.

I wonder if we'll ever see characters balanced separately for FFA to open up more diverse picks.

Depends on how popular it is, although (and this is not knocking anyone that likes it) I'd personally allocate 0 time to it compared to other areas of the game.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The term is more cute of deadly figures are coming out

5boc1u4jzra7.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Just got dumped into a 4v4 Deathmatch that was at 24-2

Guess which team I was on

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Just got dumped into a 4v4 Deathmatch that was at 24-2

Guess which team I was on

Congrats on your landslide victory, friend!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I'm here with the most relevant, hottest take which is that hanzo's scattershot, one shot kills can fuck off

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wonder if it'd be better for Scattershot to become an ordinary arrow that fans out into several weaker arrows as it launches, to hit a wider area. I admit I'm no expert Hanzo, but Scattershot feels too feast-or-famine. If you're not shooting under someone for a possible instant kill, it's not doing anything.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    In my rare time playing Handsy I don't think I've ever had a non-foot scatter shot kill anyone. It feels like blizzard really wanted it to be some sort of room clearing ability (or maybe they were just empty on 'what can the Archer dude do?") but it's just always been misused.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I've been killed a few times in a health pack room or running away with scatter arrow, but not as often as I should.

Also, now that I've put 200+ hours into 100%ing Trails of Cold Steel, I'll probably be on more often.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Scattershot should only pop after an amount of distance that's determined by how long you hold the fire button, so if you aim at someone right next to you and blast it off at full power it should go through their feet and pop harmlessly behind them.

or something

anything

just change Hanzo somehow for the love of god

• Options
    I like when the enemy picks hanzi cause 90% of the time I can out snipe them on widow. That way my trash pick isn't so trash.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Swap Scattershot with a boxing-glove arrow that can't headshot but pushes targets away.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    scrap scattershot and give hanzo a smoke bomb + backflip escape move that marks enemies that get caught in the blast

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I had a weird experience yesterday. It was another night of having a consistent group of random people match to match. But one of them was, wow, he was a pillar of salt.

During the first couple of matches I played as Hanzo and was laughing about how bad I was. But during match two I tried some different aiming / movement strategies, and did way better. Someone else remarked on it in a positive-reinforcement way, which was nice. Mr Salt however complained and was calling me names. It wasn't worth engaging him though. Next map (moon base), I chose Pharah, as did three other people. We had a lot of fun in space. Mr Salt didn't see the fun because he was getting rekt by it. So I said "hey, next map, let's all be Rein." Everyone agreed, including Mr Salt. I thought that maybe he'd get on board with everyone just chilling and having a ball.

He didn't pick Rein. He chose Reaper, who is a direct counter to Rein because every couple shots restores the health lost from a Rein swing if they connect fully. We all recognized what Mr Salt was doing, called him out on it, and I couldn't help but notice everyone would set aside fighting each other to focus him down. He did manage to make top four, and ended up having a tantrum after pointing out he got his last loot box win, and leaving.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Ok, somewhat serious talk time. I'm trying to get back into McCree and while I practice aiming, I can never seem to get my accuracy up higher than 65% during matches. It averages between 50% and 65%. Is this good/ok? Do I keep at it?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If you can play at or above 50% I think you're amazing good at the game but that's just me and my shitty 15%-20%.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Accuracy in Overwatch is weird, because it counts barrier hits as a hit. Every streamer I've seen that was asked about their accuracy rate, doesn't care about it or use it to judge their performance at all.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    And with mccree it feels like double tap consistency is more important than raw accuracy. At least for me since I can't headshot.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I shoot 3/4 of my ammo into the ether anyways. I probably have a 2% accuracy on every character, even Winston and Symmetra.

• Options
    I almost wish there was comp 4v4 so people would take it even remotely seriously. Instead I get a full shimada against 2 tanks 1 heals 1 dps.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    If you can play at or above 50% I think you're amazing good at the game but that's just me and my shitty 15%-20%.

Ashcroft wrote: »
    Accuracy in Overwatch is weird, because it counts barrier hits as a hit. Every streamer I've seen that was asked about their accuracy rate, doesn't care about it or use it to judge their performance at all.
    Einzel wrote: »
    And with mccree it feels like double tap consistency is more important than raw accuracy. At least for me since I can't headshot.

Ok, thanks for the info/critique/positive reinforcement. I'll work on my double tap.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/YUBmoRyBV-w

Okay, I can go to bed now.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I almost wish there was comp 4v4 so people would take it even remotely seriously. Instead I get a full shimada against 2 tanks 1 heals 1 dps.

I don't know, currently competitive mode doesn't stop teams from thinking that we need a Hanzo and a Widow on attack.

• Options
    Yesterday:

"Hey Bugboy, I'm opening a loot box. Get ready to see some commons."

"You're going to get a legendary."

"Nah... hey, a legendary. Oh, currency."

Seriously, enough with the currency.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    EDIT: I misread the post because I'm bad at reading comprehension.

IMO, an accurate McCree can be a major pain in the ass, but it's more important that you can consistently hit flashbang/double tap kills. McCree's viable at mid to long range, but the pure burst damage he can do is far more valuable, especially when your team can pick up S76 or a sniper for those long distance fights.

But I'm a garbage McCree, so grain of salt and all that.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm frustrated. Stuck in bronze, can't get out. Can't play with my group because I am too low SR. Tired of dealing with the salt in bronze.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    try playing a bunch of pharah, no one knows how to deal with her at that elo

sucks that you can't play with your friends, that's where i was a couple seasons ago when i got placed into silver

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dev update about people being shitty

https://youtu.be/rnfzzz8pIBE

• Options
    I just went on fire as Widowmaker

this was a very good moment for me, and I am happy

• Options
    Kaplan's video isn't exactly inspiring, RE: Blizzard's commitment to fighting toxic shit in their community. Either you're into doing it or you're not, and he's not. He basically complains they have to work on that instead of work on the game features.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kaplan's video isn't exactly inspiring, RE: Blizzard's commitment to fighting toxic shit in their community. Either you're into doing it or you're not, and he's not. He basically complains they have to work on that instead of work on the game features.

Well, as you know blizzard can barely pay the electric bill each month, let alone have two extra pennies to rub together after. We can't ask too much of them.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    the perfect state of balance the game exists in takes weeks of dedication from all members of the staff, they can't be wasting even a second on things like "reading reports" or "auto silencing players who type racial epithets into chat instead of creating a gg ez filter"

please keep sending reports remember a better community starts with you

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They should just auto silence everyone who chats, nip it in the bud.

You should be shooting people, not chatting!

More seriously, they can't auto-anything people, horrible idea. It create a firestorm of problems. And stopping idiots is impossible, so course it's a waste of time compared to doing other things in the balance.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I get what Jeff's driving at, and he's not wrong that the community should be expected to police itself to an extent, but it's really weird that he turns on a dime from talking about creating a more robust reporting system that people should absolutely use, to putting the onus on the community to stamp those issues out independently of any moderation on Blizzard's part.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    More seriously, they can't auto-anything people, horrible idea. It create a firestorm of problems.
    Yeah nah. They could at the very least allow us to set terms that automute another player when they use them.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oh sure, auto blocking people using a personal filter would be handy. I could get all the fuckticks still using "ez"! And possibly talking about wheezing etc, but worth the sacrifice.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I get what Jeff's driving at, and he's not wrong that the community should be expected to police itself to an extent, but it's really weird that he turns on a dime from talking about creating a more robust reporting system that people should absolutely use, to putting the onus on the community to stamp those issues out independently of any moderation on Blizzard's part.

He did this last time he talked about the subject and it was just as confusing then. I don't really get what he's getting at. Like, should we try and be positive? Sure. Will that stop people from being huge shits? Rarely. Like, the reason we expect Blizzard to do something is because they are literally the people with any capability to do something. This whole "you guys need to work harder too!" thing is just... weird. Does he think that a person is going to stop being verbally abusive for me not healing them (or more realistically, keep them from dying ever) if I was just nicer to them?

Sure it would be nice if they didn't have to worry about policing toxicity and could focus on developing the game, but this is the nature of the beast. Online games breed toxicity and it is always going to be a problem that needs work.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »

He did this last time he talked about the subject and it was just as confusing then. I don't really get what he's getting at. Like, should we try and be positive? Sure. Will that stop people from being huge shits? Rarely. Like, the reason we expect Blizzard to do something is because they are literally the people with any capability to do something. This whole "you guys need to work harder too!" thing is just... weird. Does he think that a person is going to stop being verbally abusive for me not healing them (or more realistically, keep them from dying ever) if I was just nicer to them?

Sure it would be nice if they didn't have to worry about policing toxicity and could focus on developing the game, but this is the nature of the beast. Online games breed toxicity and it is always going to be a problem that needs work.

Can I just say it sounds kind of insipid when a game dev talks about "spreading positivity," then expresses his disappointment whenever his team has to spend time creating moderation tools that create a better play space?

Admittedly, I'm absolutely not that person who likes to talk about spreading positivity, but it just came off as really hollow this time around.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    They got finite resources.
    If your coders are doing x, they have less time to do y.
    If map designers focus on DM-maps, they have less time for regular maps and so on.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I genuinely don't feel like I have much trouble with scattershot. Hanzo already has one shot ability, and nailing a perfect scatter can require a good bit of aim, especially against mobile characters. Sometimes it'll get you an easy kill in a confined space or help finish off a weakened opponent, but usually if you got the kill you earned it.

Scatter's not really primarily for getting picks anyway, it's Hanzo's primary dive deterrent. Its damage spike is the only thing that gives him a fighting chance against Winston or D.Va, or even Hog or Zarya. It's pretty easy to predict when a Hanzo wants to scatter since you can see that he's aiming at the ground and Hanzo has a slow rate of fire. If the Hanzo is putting a scatter perfectly at your feet you can actually jump forward to jump right over the majority of the damage, and if he puts it a bit closer to himself then you can't jump it but it won't be deadly anyway because it'll have a wider spread. And of course you can just juke the shot too, and once he misses he's vulnerable.

I find Junkrat waaaay more annoying right now than Hanzo's occasional scatter arrow, there's way less skill involved in Junk just constantly flooding the area with explosives, and way more counterplay possible.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.