As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]ies Skylines

1939495969799»

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Milan's Apple Store looks nuts. And Carnegie Library, what?!

This is what happens when a company has too much money... they make really badass public spaces?

Hmm... maybe I have been putting too much faith in the government.

/heads down to the local exxon public amphitheater, library, and food distribution center

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    honestly there is something genuinely appealing about a giant arcology like that

The city guy in me thinks it would be cool.

The country guy in me laughs at it while driving down a dirt road.

The Shadowrun player in me blanches and remembers the insane chamber of horrors an AI turned it into.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    honestly if I turn to crimes I'm going to rig my documents folder to self-incinerate on entering the wrong code

with some thought as to how one can do this without being charged with attempted murder of a public official

maybe a sign saying "warning if you attempt to open this and you are not me the thermite will ignite" and then after be like well it's not my goddamn fault you didn't believe the sign

maybe not thermite I feel like there is a law against that being ready to blow in your house

but sometimes that makes the drawers go PHOOOM and turn everything inside to slag

because encryption and wiping are so... ephemeral.

The real trick is to make things one time use and avoid digital storage whenever possible on a device that won't soon be completely destroyed.

I store the devices in my thermite cupboard

easy

doesn't counter surveillance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    they just showed woz

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i haven't had a country guy in me since that one night in rural Ontario so i'm pretty okay with the arcology

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Man, what 25 books am I even interested in, and should I think about that now instead of working?

yes

hm ok

sequels which I intend to read:
    NK Jemisin geology books, Too Like The lightning Sequel, The Dark Forest, Sixth Watch, Annihilation sequels (but Liu and Vandermeer books are prob depressing/very emotional, Palmer and Jemisin maybe annoying, Lukyanenko prob bad. But I will get to them all)

what else is on the top of my head

Left Hand of Darkness, Netochka Nezvanova, The Gambler, that book sitting in my husband's house by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, reread of Ancillary Justice?, reread of The Eye, reread of Invitation to a Beheading, The Gift, Rivers of London

That's 18?
    Often what I read is guided by what pops up in a book store or what catches my eye on my shelf.

What should I flesh this out with?

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. I'm about to do another reread of it and its sequels. Introduces a super interesting alien species that's made up
    of several dogs as one entity
    . credeiki

Is that good? I've always seen Vernor Vinge but have never read him and don't know his reputation. I've been losing patience with genre fiction that isn't well-written--is it?

oh right also on this list of sequels is echopraxia, so I guess that's 19.

I really liked it. It's slow but good.

I'm reading a second book of his now.

I wouldn't have told you that bit about the alien species - it was fun figuring that out on my own as I read through the first chapters.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried just not being a criminal

i mean, it's pretty easy

Yeah you just kill all the witnesses

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Because of the hurricane I learned that online multiplayer doesn't work on a phone's personal hotspot, some weird NAT thing apparently.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    i haven't had a country guy in me since that one night in rural Ontario so i'm pretty okay with the arcology

Um...

:winky: ?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Just want to say that the level of contrarianism and antagonism you folks put towards something people here are excited about is just so beneath how you act on everything else that I don't even really get it.

Are people not allowed joy? Can they only like the stuff you like?

I am not mad, just always a little disappointed when I want to hang out in chat and chat with the folks who are watching a big huge cool thing and there is a greek chorus of naysaying and negativity buzzing around it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This is what happens when a company has too much money... they make really badass public spaces?

The library in DC?

Its been set up for a retail space and Apple just won the bidding war. Most of it is still a museum and such.

Also I think that library isn't a public building but kind of semi-public.

waitttttttt
    what's happening to the carnegie library? (You mean the one right by where I live in chinatown, right?)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i guess the problem with a massive totally human-controlled habitat is that

1) human control of extremely complex environments is very prone to being disrupted by unknown unknowns both internally and externally, and novel human systems don't have the advantage of billions of years of development like many natural non-human systems

and 2) the greater the control, the more we eliminate or address those problems, the more troubling it is to think of that control being put in the hands of untrustworthy people in government, law enforcement, corporate authority, etc. Imagine if Sheriff Arpaio were also in absolute control of the food you eat and the air you breathe.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I'm literally watching the apple event because I want their new phone.

I also think them leading with a big dick stroke about their new campus and how they call stores "town squares" and how they're going to make the Carnegie library a huge store really, really gross.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    honestly there is something genuinely appealing about a giant arcology like that

cd18ussl8ybk.gif

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Just want to say that the level of contrarianism and antagonism you folks put towards something people here are excited about is just so beneath how you act on everything else that I don't even really get it.

I am not mad, just always a little disappointed when I want to hang out in chat and chat with the folks who are watching a big huge cool thing and there is a greek chorus of naysaying and negativity buzzing around it.

on the one hand, yeah it's stupid and people should really curb their urges to ruin things just because they don't like them

on the other hand, man, it's not just with apple products

you could say you like puppies and someone here will comment how puppies are stupid and kitties are superior

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

The library in DC?

Its been set up for a retail space and Apple just won the bidding war. Most of it is still a museum and such.

waitttttttt
    what's happening to the carnegie library? (You mean the one right by where I live in chinatown, right?)

Apple store going in there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/05/08/apple-offers-first-peek-at-plans-to-convert-d-c-s-carnegie-library-into-new-store/?utm_term=.903cc46edd38

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Synd, you are That Guy

And that's tough when Apple's market strategy is prestige tribalism over the great unwashed masses

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Meh, you constantly shit on Sony because of Bleem!. And I get it! But you know, some of us like our PlayStations.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    The Apple Watch is not a good watch. I hope the new one is a better watch.

I love my Fitbit Blaze. They just made a new version that looks to be on par with the stuff that was missing,( apps availability and waterproof).

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Counterpoint: DC's hundred year old post office is now a gaudy hotel.

• Options

I think you know by now that chat as a whole is never going to equal your enthusiasm and vigorous defense of Apple and its products.

But many people here do use Apple products while remaining skeptical or not as enthused.

That doesn't mean it's cool to just shit on things you like, but that's not exactly what I'm seeing happening here today.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    cellular watch 3

full on dick tracy shit bois

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    porp wrote: »

I love my Fitbit Blaze. They just made a new version that looks to be on par with the stuff that was missing,( apps availability and waterproof).

i knew there was a reason i got the blaze so cheap a few weeks ago

it's better than my surge was anyway i'm not mad

i'm not

mad

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

The library in DC?

waitttttttt

Apple store going in there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2017/05/08/apple-offers-first-peek-at-plans-to-convert-d-c-s-carnegie-library-into-new-store/?utm_term=.903cc46edd38

Oh wow that's awesome! The building is basically kinda not used at the moment, as far as I can tell. Sometimes there are events there. I don't think it's a functional library (and in any case there's a different library close by) .I'd be psyched to have that sort of space near me instead of the nothing it is now.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    I really like mine! But I've gotten really good at using Scribble and voice dictation. Before my Apple Watch, I was like "meh". Now, I think it's an essential part of my mobile usage.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Did I say prestige

I meant Xclusive

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Despite my weight loss I am really in the mood for chips or pizza :(

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Counterpoint: DC's hundred year old post office is now a gaudy hotel.

God I wish he would lose the lease and it would be turned into a place I could enjoy going to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried just not being a criminal

i mean, it's pretty easy

rolling stop at a four way intersection isn't considered a real stop
    off to prison you fucking crook

Ah, the California Stop

Classic

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Chanus wrote: »

on the one hand, yeah it's stupid and people should really curb their urges to ruin things just because they don't like them

you could say you like puppies and someone here will comment how puppies are stupid and kitties are superior

Note how I did not say Apple anywhere in my post.

It is just a thing we do. It is ambient background radiation here.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Wait what? You're allowed to be joyful and other people are allowed to be negative, surely? How can you be upset people are expressing negative opinions and simultaneously complain they're the ones silencing you and you're not allowed to like things?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I'm literally watching the apple event because I want their new phone.

I also think them leading with a big dick stroke about their new campus and how they call stores "town squares" and how they're going to make the Carnegie library a huge store really, really gross.

This is every single apple event ever though. They always lead off with this shit. Normally it's sales numbers.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

We can read the context. Especially with that last sentence.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I think you know by now that chat as a whole is never going to equal your enthusiasm and vigorous defense of Apple and its products.

But many people here do use Apple products while remaining skeptical or not as enthused.

That doesn't mean it's cool to just shit on things you like, but that's not exactly what I'm seeing happening here today.

Tbf, chat does shit on lots of things. So I can see how a fairly minor "shit" might eventually feel bigger when it's compiling with other stuff. I've learned just to shake it off or vent to Shark about it and then move on. But others might not have that vent available.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

We can read the context. Especially with that last sentence.

It's too late Hahn

We've activated his trap card

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Let me know when there's an Apple urethra wearable.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.4

@DasUberEdward will create the new thread
    @Sir Landshark is backup

• Options
    DUE has 10 minutes to make a thread.

At 10:42 Shark's ten minutes to make a thread begin.

JUST TO BE CLEAR.

This discussion has been closed.