As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Back in the 90's I was in a very famous TV show [BoJack Horseman]

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hooray I'm so glad there's a thread for this. I just started watching this show a few weeks ago and I have been really surprised how good it is. I thought it was just going to be surreal crude humour but they've made me really care about an alcoholic horse person. It's beaten first-4-seasons-of-Futurama as my favourite animated show.

I just started season 4 and I don't know how many more I have left but I'm going to be sad when I'm all caught up.

Good news! Season 5 drops in September, so the wait for new eps when you finish season 4 won’t be long.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hooray I'm so glad there's a thread for this. I just started watching this show a few weeks ago and I have been really surprised how good it is. I thought it was just going to be surreal crude humour but they've made me really care about an alcoholic horse person. It's beaten first-4-seasons-of-Futurama as my favourite animated show.

I just started season 4 and I don't know how many more I have left but I'm going to be sad when I'm all caught up.

Are you...are you not sad yet?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't find it that sad. Just very real.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What's weird is everyone talks about season 4 being the more uplifting one, which I guess it is in a way due to the ending, but man season 4 also has some of the biggest haymaker punches to your soul.
    I have half a mind............

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    What's weird is everyone talks about season 4 being the more uplifting one, which I guess it is in a way due to the ending, but man season 4 also has some of the biggest haymaker punches to your soul.
    I have half a mind............
    It's more uplifting (relatively speaking) in the sense of Bojack's personal journey, in that he's made more forward progress without completely burning everything down around him. The show definitely still hits as hard as it ever does, of course.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I just watched the Stupid Piece of Shit episode and man that was rough to watch. I just really want to give Bojack a hug.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I started this over again.

A lot of shows, when you go back to the beginning, surprise you by being boring or not having the character development yet.

A lot of shows take awhile to find their stride.

BoJack fucking starts off at the top and just never dips. It's incredible.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I started this over again.

A lot of shows, when you go back to the beginning, surprise you by being boring or not having the character development yet.

A lot of shows take awhile to find their stride.

BoJack fucking starts off at the top and just never dips. It's incredible.

I think if I went back knowing what I know about the series now I’d agree, but those first few eps were kinda rough and it was only the insistence of this forum that got me to keep going.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know. I think it starts off running.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    It starts off as a Curb Your Enthusiasm style show that has an underlying tone of what the show really is. It starts off as good, but I don't know if I would say it starts off as the same show as it evolves into.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    It took me a few episodes to get into it. I mainly stuck with it because I liked imagining Jesse saying all of Todd's lines. I feel like I'd enjoy them more on a rewatch though, now I know the characters.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know. I think it starts off running.

A very very common consensus is that you gotta get past the first few episodes to click with the show, to the point that the advance reviews of the series (which were based only on the first few eps sent out as screeners) were way harsher on the show than current critical consensus would indicate.

Honestly if it weren't for the binge release nature of the Netflix model, the show might not have gotten its chance because it would have lost too many viewers in the first couple months to let everyone find its brilliance

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    This show was one of the first to make me really appreciate the small differences in a show made specifically for a Netflix-style viewing model. There are so many things that network shows have to do to help audiences along that Bojack and now other stream-exclusive shows can just eliminate. Like obviously not having commercial breaks is good, but you also don't have to deal with everything implied by a commercial break - I think I was binging Bob's Burgers and the "follow each commercial break with a movie-trailer line of dialogue re-establishing the basic plot" rule became pretty obvious.

Besides that, with Bojack et al you can tell episode-sized stories within a larger plot while knowing for sure that your audience has seen or could see all of the previous episodes whenever they want. You don't have to re-establish shit. When Bojack surprise-kisses Diane in season 1, we get the follow up immediately despite the episode break. I'd never seen a TV show do that before, mostly because of restrictions of the medium that I'd never thought about.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    This show was one of the first to make me really appreciate the small differences in a show made specifically for a Netflix-style viewing model. There are so many things that network shows have to do to help audiences along that Bojack and now other stream-exclusive shows can just eliminate. Like obviously not having commercial breaks is good, but you also don't have to deal with everything implied by a commercial break - I think I was binging Bob's Burgers and the "follow each commercial break with a movie-trailer line of dialogue re-establishing the basic plot" rule became pretty obvious.

Besides that, with Bojack et al you can tell episode-sized stories within a larger plot while knowing for sure that your audience has seen or could see all of the previous episodes whenever they want. You don't have to re-establish shit. When Bojack surprise-kisses Diane in season 1, we get the follow up immediately despite the episode break. I'd never seen a TV show do that before, mostly because of restrictions of the medium that I'd never thought about.

And a season later when the culmination of an episode is Mr. Peanutbutter confronting Bojack about doing that there was no awkward dialogue at the beginning of the episode re-establishing that he did that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Welp, this show just made me cry for the first time.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Welp, this show just made me cry for the first time.

I can definitely hazard a guess as to what episode you just watched.

And yeah that is a very natural response to that episode.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Okay, all finished. Now my poor heart can rest a while before S5 comes out. And maybe I can get the theme song out of my head for the first time in weeks.

This show is so damn impressive. I think it has some of the most realistic characters I've ever seen. Why has animation not done this kind of thing before.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Okay, all finished. Now my poor heart can rest a while before S5 comes out. And maybe I can get the theme song out of my head for the first time in weeks.

This show is so damn impressive. I think it has some of the most realistic characters I've ever seen. Why has animation not done this kind of thing before.

I think Bojack could only work as a cartoon. If it were live action( and was humans not the weird animal world) I dont know if they could bounce bwtween humor and drama like they do

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    also, more importantly:

the real heart of bojack horseman is all the "they're animals" jokes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    also, more importantly:

Yeah. I love that Mr. PB still has dog traits like getting excited when the doorbell rings

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    also, more importantly:

Yeah. I love that Mr. PB still has dog traits like getting excited when the doorbell rings

I love in the middle of a rant, Diane just goes "and you're a good dog, yes you are"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    And Bojack’s thoughtful gift to Princess Carolyn was a box with crumpled tissue paper in it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    And of course Navy Seals are actually seals in the navy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ouupxidrwvby.jpg

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    also, more importantly:

easily my favorite background gag:

DVoNUMtWAAALdEF.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Llama Del Ray

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lowes

But Like an Animal Version

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One of my favorite/darkest animal gags I didn't even notice on the first few watches.

In the background , you see a waitress bring a plate to a customer with a snappy " Here's your steak"

And customer looks down sheepishly, and waitress gives a "hmm-mm"

And it all gets super dark when you notice the waitress is a cow

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The sign gags are also great

• Options
    Early in season one you see Beyoncé injuring her ankle, then in the last episode there’s a quick shot of the audience at the Golden Globes and Beyoncé is at the front table wearing a boot cast, sitting next to her husband, Jay-Zebra

• Options
    "Wait, wait, wait...Andrew Garfield hates Mondays and loves lasagna?"

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Not an animal pun but this is my favorite recurring joke/topic

https://youtu.be/zJIZj2iIF6M

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    One of Bojack's strengths is its willingness to commit to recurring background gags and side characters that aren't really in service of anything. It's the sort of thing that really makes the setting of a show stand out. I'd say Bojack's version of Hollywoo is as memorable and robust a location at this point as Pawnee Indiana or Springfield, Whatever-State-Springfield-Is-In

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I was impressed when they did a joke about the Halloween in January store in season 4, having not referenced it since S1 (I think?) and without re-explaining anything. Really makes it feel like the creators are assuming you are intelligent and paying attention, which is refreshing.

• Options
    I love that Cameron Crowe is a raven

• Options
    Actually possibly the best joke in the show is Vanessa Gecko

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I want to know why the show hates Jessica Biel so much

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shorty wrote: »
    I want to know why the show hates Jessica Biel so much

Because after her first appearance she complained they went too easy on her

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    in researching this I discovered this tidbit from the showrunner, on the tonguetwisters they give Princess Caroline every season:
    And I think we normally give them to Amy Sedaris because she hates them the most so it’s the most fun to make her do them, but she’s great at it.

good

good

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I would imagine it would be fun to be the voice of yourself being the absolute asshole it would be fun to be in fantasy.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981