As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Back in the 90's I was in a very famous TV show [BoJack Horseman]

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm in the first episode and I'm unreasonably upset they cut up the bloopy intro song.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    A barnacle or some type of sea cucumber I think.

I thought she was a clam, but barnacle is a good shout actually

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I'm in the first episode and I'm unreasonably upset they cut up the bloopy intro song.

it goes back to normal after the first episode

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    well, I never expected a cartoon to set a scene in a Portillo's

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    well, I never expected a cartoon to set a scene in a Portillo's

I EXTREMELY didn't expect a cartoon to portray a realistic-looking CTA station and to hear the actual "doors closing" voice I hear a million times

6F32U1X.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I have an improv actor friend in Chicago and I'm extremely looking forward to hearing their reactions to this season.

Muddy Water on
    I finished up the new episodes and hoo boy

Episode 7 was an incredible amount of catharsis and I wanted to stay with those characters and I didn't want the episode to end and now episode 8 has me dreading what's gonna happen in the back half of the season

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    did anyone else get goosebumps and/or tear up the first time they watched the new (full) intro sequence?

i thought it was just a beautiful culmination of the show's themes--like, how the past, present and future are interconnected, and you have to acknowledge and reconcile with the past in order to move on towards a better future, yet even when you make strides to change, the trauma will always be a part of you and so it's a never-ending battle/process of healing and

yeah, that shit hit me hard

balerbower on
    I've listened to this 5 times in a row now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAlQkFyV_M

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This half-season has me so flummoxed about how I even want the show to end.

Quire.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Second episode of the new season made me feel genuinely anxious the entire time.

So good on the show I guess.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh god. Episode 7 was so good and I thought
    "But theres still so many people who need endings! And you can't end the Mr.Peanut Butter stuff there!"
    then episode 8 happened and I was like
    Oh nooooooo. I mean I know Bojack did some shit things, but hes being better now and I hope to god that having more of his awful mistakes hes made thrown back in his face doesn't cause him to spiral back.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh god. Episode 7 was so good and I thought
    "But theres still so many people who need endings! And you can't end the Mr.Peanut Butter stuff there!"
    then episode 8 happened and I was like
    Oh nooooooo. I mean I know Bojack did some shit things, but hes being better now and I hope to god that having more of his awful mistakes hes made thrown back in his face doesn't cause him to spiral back.

I feel like the purpose of that last episode
    is to make you question whether it’s OK that Bojack is doing well. It’s a stark reminder of how many people we’ve seen him damage and how those people have just had to carry-on with that damage while he gets the privilege of seeking help and becoming better. I don’t know that any of the people who got called out #metoo style sought help and tried to fix themselves, I presume none because to a man they each made embarrassing assholes of themselves, but would that make a difference? I truly don’t know but I don’t think it’s fair to all the people he hurt if he doesn’t at least have to confront it.

Quire.jpg
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The last episode of this batch is super interesting and leads to a bunch of different ways the series can go.
    Bojack absolutely deserves the shit that is coming his way. His past actions have been truly reprehensible and there needs to be some sort of accounting for all the people he's hurt. The question is, has Bojack changed enough to be able to keep up his positive behavior and stay away from drugs even when put under genuine massive stress? If so, he may be able to be honest with himself and the world and might, through great effort, make some amount of amends for his past behavior. (Some of the things he can't fix.) If so the show will be saying that while awful people can be better, it doesn't give them a pass on their awfulness and they need to accept genuine responsibility for their actions. Happiness isn't something that needs to be deserved, but you need to be empathetic to people you have wronged when you were unhappy. Good deeds don't overwrite bad, and bad deeds don't overwrite good. They both exist in the totality of person's past.

Alternatively, the darker way the show might go is the increased stress puts him right back into his shithead behavior and he'll likely hurt people even more. I hope the show doesn't go this route because it will likely end up pretty... mean. Not just to Bojack (who again kind of deserves it) but also his friends, who don't deserve it, and his victims, who definitely don't deserve it.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Just watched the last few episodes.
    I can't imagine BoJack going back to where he was. I don't think the writers would end it like that, after everything.

Episode 7 was so bittersweet.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Late episode thinkings:
    One of the things that Bojack mentioned was his guilt that he could get away with stuff because he's rich and famous

Now it looks like he's going to see some repercussions, as the university might not want to have one of their new professors be linked to everything that's going on

So the guilt at getting away with stuff will be dealt with, but then he'll have to deal with more immediate consequences

Whether he'll prefer this or not remains to be seen

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    My concern isn't as much for Bojack as for all the characters who are going to get caught in the collateral damage.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I never watched the show before the other week but now I watched all of it

poo
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Damn. Are you feeling okay? Do you need to talk?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    It was a lot definitely

But uh it’s quite a good show

And also very easy to just binge it seems

poo
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I finished the eight current episodes of season six.
    I was beginning to think they end up with a happy-ish ending for basically all of the characters as things were going. Like I know many think that Bojack shouldn't have a happy ending after everything that's happened in the series, but like, that's the point of rehab? To be better and do better than before, and that's a pretty good message to get across?

Then I watched the eighth episode, and now I'm assuming pretty solidly that everything is going to come down in a massive catastrophic collapse.

I think things will probably end not totally happy and not totally bad because I trust the writers to know how real life works

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am 100% not ready but also ready as hell

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I'm watching these right now and I keep having to pause episodes because oh god no dig up DIG UP Bojack

ZD98Zka.png
    I'm halfway through and I'm extremely worried

6F32U1X.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Just watched the finale and god am I feeling down now. It was a good ending, but it also wasn't very satisfying (if that makes sense).

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    paige sinclair, more than any other bojack character, is laser focused to all my interests

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I can already tell I'm not ready for this

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I felt like it was as satisfying and bittersweet an ending to this show as we could get without it pulling stupid theatrics.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I binged all the new ones last night - probably would have been better off not doing it all in one sitting.

Big spoilers about the last two episodes:
    There's kind of a lot to go through, but I thought the framing device of the second last episode was great and I love the closure/endings that (most of) the supporting cast got. Pickles effectively leaving PB was good, PC and Judah was great, Todd's thing with his mum was good (also Margot Martindale is brilliant) and his bit on the beach with BJ was lovely. I'm not sure if I think Diane was hard done by or if that was a good ending yet. I agree that so far it's a bit unsatisfying, but I'm also not sure if that was kind of intentional. Like, BJ doesn't deserve a good or satisfying ending, but Diane probably does. Hmm.

pimento on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    pimento wrote: »
    I binged all the new ones last night - probably would have been better off not doing it all in one sitting.

Big spoilers about the last two episodes:
    There's kind of a lot to go through, but I thought the framing device of the second last episode was great and I love the closure/endings that (most of) the supporting cast got. Pickles effectively leaving PB was good, PC and Judah was great, Todd's thing with his mum was good (also Margot Martindale is brilliant) and his bit on the beach with BJ was lovely. I'm not sure if I think Diane was hard done by or if that was a good ending yet. I agree that so far it's a bit unsatisfying, but I'm also not sure if that was kind of intentional. Like, BJ doesn't deserve a good or satisfying ending, but Diane probably does. Hmm.

Opinion, and some personal connection
    There's an old adage that if you're not telling the most interesting parts of your characters life in a story, then why tell it? This is Bojacks story... his interesting days are done, but his best days may lie ahead of him. It's bittersweet and the ending made me cry a bit because I had something similar with an old friend last summer, and I kind of identify with Bojack in working past bad shit done in a "former life" as people like to call it. Just trying to piece everything together and work through the existential crises and wondering how we'll ever leave a mark, and sometimes not realizing what we're doing to others.

When Diane was talking about the voicemail the waterworks came out. I called a friend when I OD'd on pills a long ass time ago (edit: left a voicemail), a friend I still see occasionally online but haven't seen in a long time. That shit hit me in the gut.

Them zooming out on Diane and Bojack for what will be the last time, assuredly, on a roof like they were in the first episode... it's just really good. Maybe because it's so close to my own, but also because it makes me feel like I'm not the worst person in the world because of the stuff I did when I was younger.

jungleroomx on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    paige sinclair, more than any other bojack character, is laser focused to all my interests

I just like paget brewster

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Shorty wrote: »

I just like paget brewster

i mean yeah there's that

but she's also lois lane as played by katharine hepburn but is also a pig

so y'know

my brand and all

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I hate her because her methods are disgusting( preying on victims and at least 3 alcoholics) but I immensely enjoy her whole bit

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I finished this.
    They really got me with the second-last episode. I cried. And I thought I was somehow going to have to make it through the last episode and then I would crawl into bed, curl into a ball, and just be hollowed out for the rest of the day. Boy did they get me.

It was still beautiful.

"Sometimes life's a bitch and then you keep living."

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    l3iw0c4fy7an.png

This is a very important show.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Oh my Mister Peanutbutter, you always have such issues ordering signs and banners and other text-based custom things, my goodness!

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    l3iw0c4fy7an.png

This is a very important show.

This could be relevant to @tynic

This was good. I was a little sad though that
    We didn't get to see anything from Hollyhock. I know she cut Bojack out, but it would have been nice to know she was doing OK