As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We talk TV. You talk some [TV]?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Is Glomgold Afrikaans in the new cartoon?

According to the creators he is and is just a huge Scotophile

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Gotham
    I was expecting Leslie Thompkins to return at some point, sure. One of her character beats is to announce that she's leaving Gotham,
    but then almost immediately come back. Well she's back, but in a twist I didn't see coming, she's now a hard-drinking "doctor" for an underground (and therefore certainly illegal) fight club.

Also, uh, I was not expecting to see Bruce stab Ra's A'Ghul in the chest with an ancient blade, kill him, and watch him die a la The Last Crusade.

Good on being unpredictable, I guess?

sig.gif
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Didn't see this posted yet, but QI is back for Series O!

It's off to an exceptional Ologies episode.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2017
    Started watching the Hulu exclusive Freakish.

It's... Kind of bad so far.. Like in SYFY way.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Dirk Gently season two is starting off pretty good. They brought in Alan Tudyk.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    E.Coyote wrote: »

Where's that streaming? I loved the book.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    E.Coyote wrote: »

Where's that streaming? I loved the book.

The show is pretty different but keeps the spirit of the book pretty well. I think you can get the season pass on Amazon.

The show maintains the bizarre level of comedic violence set by The Long, Dark Tea Time of the Soul, though, so just a heads up. It's more in that vein than in the vein of the first book.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Hulu and netflix as well.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    God ghosted is so bad I don't even know how it made it to 4 episodes.

They killed Lone Star at 2 episodes and that show was good! Makes me want throw a pile of gorilla shit at fox.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Anyone watching Vice Principals? Second season's gone interesting places.
    This week tore up Lee's marriage, which was predictable given the show has portrayed him to be a pathological liar, including to the people closest to him, although they still work to make him sympathetic in their own way.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Oh wow. Megan Abbott did tonight's Deuce. She's a cool, hard-ass crime writer.

And Lisa Lutz did an earlier episode. I really dig those ladies' books!

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    That was a good episode. (the Deuce ep 7)
    When Slim Charles shot the pimp I damn near cheered.

I've been waiting all season for someone to push back on one of those losers.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    ya'll should be watching good behavior on tnt

it is a very good show and has the dopest opening theme on tv

https://youtu.be/EgdOs5-3VWQ

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Dirk Gently is some bat shit insanity but I love it.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Anyone watching Vice Principals? Second season's gone interesting places.
    This week tore up Lee's marriage, which was predictable given the show has portrayed him to be a pathological liar, including to the people closest to him, although they still work to make him sympathetic in their own way.

This was a really good episode.
    Lee Russell deserves everything that's happening to him but it was still nice to see him catch a break.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    How

how

Did Ghosted make better use of Beck Bennett in 30 seconds than they have of Adam Scott and Craig Robinson in three episodes?
    And then they immediately killed him

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    That was a good episode. (the Deuce ep 7)
    When Slim Charles shot the pimp I damn near cheered.

I've been waiting all season for someone to push back on one of those losers.

The Deuce could honestly be the sixth season of The Wire. The season is structured very similarly, where everything starts coming together around the middle of the season and you start getting some payoff.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvTv6KzLczQ

I got my wife started watching The Good Place and she has burned through 10 episodes in 2 days. I think it's actually even better the second time through.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

I got my wife started watching The Good Place and she has burned through 10 episodes in 2 days. I think it's actually even better the second time through.

God damn do I love evil Adam Scott.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Do we talk about Netflix shows in here? I couldn't find a thread anywhere, and I want to talk about Mindhunter.

Oh, Mindhunter. You are a beautiful, entertaining, and frustrating show. The characters are all good, and sometimes equally annoying. The story is certainly one that I want to see more of. It feels like this first season cares far more about the "setup" than it is in telling a self-contained story. Almost as if they decided to stop it at the climax of the second act and said "we'll pick up with act 3 next season." Thus, the frustration.

One thing that felt almost out of place (first episode spoilers):
    Holden's intro ends with a hostage-taker blowing his own head off with a shotgun in spectacularly CG'd glory. It's the most shocking moment of the season,
    and it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the show at all. Sure, there are some photos of gore throughout, and plenty of descriptions of heinous acts, but it feels a lot like the opening of The Way of the Gun, where Chris McQuarrie decided to front-load it with OTT swearing to get it out of the way. Nothing else in this season comes close to that moment--and it's better because of it.

Also, the cold opens were intriguing, but aside from one reveal (or misdirection?), they were largely more of the same setup-without-payoff.

I'm wavering between giving it a B+ and an A-. I just hope they get the second season out somewhat quickly. I don't want to have to wait another year to see what happens next, which I guess is a good sign that I really did enjoy it.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular

Hell yes, if you haven't watched the first season yet I highly recommend it. First episode is free on their YouTube channel.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »

Hell yes, if you haven't watched the first season yet I highly recommend it. First episode is free on their YouTube channel.

My first thought was "that art and pallette look very Simpsons-esque" and then I watched the video and it was explicitly a Treehouse of Horror homage, so good job production team.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    It looks like Viceland in the states might not be airing NtBtS, which is real weird. Viceland Canada is the only place that's posted the trailer. I'm gonna be real salty if I can't buy it.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Do we talk about Netflix shows in here? I couldn't find a thread anywhere, and I want to talk about Mindhunter.

Oh, Mindhunter. You are a beautiful, entertaining, and frustrating show. The characters are all good, and sometimes equally annoying. The story is certainly one that I want to see more of. It feels like this first season cares far more about the "setup" than it is in telling a self-contained story. Almost as if they decided to stop it at the climax of the second act and said "we'll pick up with act 3 next season." Thus, the frustration.

One thing that felt almost out of place (first episode spoilers):
    Holden's intro ends with a hostage-taker blowing his own head off with a shotgun in spectacularly CG'd glory. It's the most shocking moment of the season,
    and it just doesn't mesh with the rest of the show at all. Sure, there are some photos of gore throughout, and plenty of descriptions of heinous acts, but it feels a lot like the opening of The Way of the Gun, where Chris McQuarrie decided to front-load it with OTT swearing to get it out of the way. Nothing else in this season comes close to that moment--and it's better because of it.

Also, the cold opens were intriguing, but aside from one reveal (or misdirection?), they were largely more of the same setup-without-payoff.

I'm wavering between giving it a B+ and an A-. I just hope they get the second season out somewhat quickly. I don't want to have to wait another year to see what happens next, which I guess is a good sign that I really did enjoy it.

A friendly warning. Do not binge watch the entire season in one day.

You will not be able to sleep.

Cold open spoilers;
    Apparently he's the BTK Killer, Dennis Rader.

Which is interesting, because the show is taking place in 1979, and this guy had already killed seven people by then. I don't know if they're taking liberties with the timeline, or these are flashbacks.

Anyway, he wasn't apprehended until 2005, so are they going to drag this out for 20+ years? It's just a very odd choice for what I assume to be the main antagonist going forward.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

God damn do I love evil Adam Scott.

Janet is the best thing in that show.

The cactus bit and whenever Bad Janet shows up had me rolling.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I love thier Ghostbuster outfits let me explain why.

The prop people could have just made good costumes and proton packs. They have the tools and resources for this. Instead they made ones that look like they were made by kids or parents in the 80's where good clear images were not available.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey "Rorshach Kringle", I hope you are ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J_LHnX8WTk

this looks

awesome

Shorty on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    "Maybe you've seen Timecop, which is like Looper starring Bruce Willis, but like a million times better."

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I think you’re gonna be waiting a while

They shot it here in Pittsburgh, they started May of last year and it didn’t come out until a couple weeks ago. The wrap party was in June, I think? They have not started shooting season 2

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    "Maybe you've seen Timecop, which is like Looper starring Bruce Willis, but like a million times better."

I think the line "It is on TV, all of the time" is what absolutely killed me

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    jean claude van johnson is basically the reason television was invented.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

jean claude van johnson is basically the reason television was invented.

Television will peak on December 15th.

After that it's all down hill.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

I think you’re gonna be waiting a while

They shot it here in Pittsburgh, they started May of last year and it didn’t come out until a couple weeks ago. The wrap party was in June, I think? They have not started shooting season 2

Yeah ... I kinda figured that would be the case. Hell, the travel/teach montage they had in that one episode must have taken forever to film, so ... yeah.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I wasn't excited for it anyways

But sidelining one of your best characters for more of that Barb garbage (Barbage?) definitely has me not looking forward to the second season of this

Who gets sidelined? That review seems to indicate that all the returning players get serviced sufficiently

Too bad that it seems they go overboard with the Barb stuff, but I think it’s good that they addressed her at all

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »

I wasn't excited for it anyways

But sidelining one of your best characters for more of that Barb garbage (Barbage?) definitely has me not looking forward to the second season of this

This actually sounds awful, yeah.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Who gets sidelined? That review seems to indicate that all the returning players get serviced sufficiently

Too bad that it seems they go overboard with the Barb stuff, but I think it’s good that they addressed her at all

Nancy.

Who was probably my second favorite character in the show, after Steve.

Straightzi on
This discussion has been closed.