As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proper monitor calibration

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Hello all,

I finally got my new video card yesterday and decided I would finally fix my pesky second monitor, which was making some dark blacks look green. After spending about an hour toying around with both the physical settings on the monitor and the Nvidia settings, it definitely looks way better then it did, but something still feels off. I know getting it to look exactly like my other monitor would be very hard since their different brands and one is Display Port and the other is HDMI (which I have had people tell me makes a difference but I find to be suspect). Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or maybe even programs, that they use to get your monitors looking just right? Thanks

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    It's also possible that your end-goal with calibration won't be possible. I have both of my monitors calibrated as well as they can be, but they still look different. The problem with mine is that the backlights are very different. The older monitor is using a non-LED backlight that is very noticeably yellower than the very white backlight of the newer LED monitor. Adjusting the color enough that the whites look the same causes all the other colors to be noticeably shifted.

One other thing to note: Make sure that the output range on both monitors is set to full (under resolution settings in the nvidia control panel).

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Ha when I use to work at the movie theater we pretty much used these same image types to calibrate the digital projectors.

I know the two aren't going to match, and my main monitor is a very fancy Dell that has more bells and whistles then my $170 ASUS secondary but the colors look so bad on that one. I think I found a setting I'm going to be as happy as possible with, but man what a drag.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I figure the best way to describe what I'm talking about is with a picture. I took a picture of what discord looks like on both monitors. As you can see on the left there's no real variation to black, is very solid and grey looks blue black.

ryjrmcmv8lcs.jpg

Bucketman on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what I'm looking at, that is very very different than what discord is supposed to look like.