Options

It's a Dog Eat Dog World Out There, Literally! [Tooth and Tail]

Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet:Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
Tooth_and_Tail.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLlKtI11C-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZUxgb_YpY

Tooth and Tail is a fast paced cut down RTS game set in a world where Redwall meets the Russian Revolution with a heaping side order of animal cannibalism. Let's meet our authoritarian gourmands and our starving revolutionaries:

commander_capitalists2.png
The Longcoats: Capitalist Cannibals

Following the revolutionary leader Bellafide, following the selection of Bellafide's son for the Harvest, he now leads a revolution against the corrupt Church of the Civilized and their KSR thugs in an effort to bring free market capitalism to the feasting table. Because that will help.

commander_commoners2.png
The Commonfolk: Devouring Democrats

Lead by the one armed Hopper, said to have given her arm for the cause, The Commonfolk are the poor, downtrodden and starving of the community. Though they venerate the Tsarina, bless her, they despise the Civilized and the KSR who maintain the status quo. They fight for a system where the people choose who goes to the feasting table.

commander_military2.png
The KSR: Kitchen Commissariat

The secret police, military and spies of the government the KSR are lead by the strong willed Quartermaster. The KSR maintain their neutrality but are determined to restore law and order in the Tsarina's name, and the Quartermaster will do whatever necessary to bring peace back to the land.

commander_clergy2.png
The Civilized: Corrupt Connoisseurs

The Civilized are the religion of the land who organize the Harvests and set the table for the Feasts. They decide who eats, and who is eaten. Shockingly, although many of their followers end up on the dinner table, members of the clergy seem strangely exempt from the tables themselves. Understandably, this is not a well liked fact by most other factions. Even the KSR do not truly love them. Represented on the battlefield on the aged priest Archimedes.

The Singleplayer campaign of the game has you take on the role of each faction and leader in turn and see their perspective, missions have a wide variety of goals and rules that really change the way you play and keep it fresh pretty much all the way, though their use of generated maps instead of individually crafted maps for the campaign can make it a bit of a dice roll as to how difficult the mission will be, and can be incredibly frustrating, not to mention making it difficult to create or follow guides for how to complete a tough mission.

But how does one actually play the game you ask? Well assuming you didn't watch TotalBiscuit's video up there, let me explain the basics. You control your faction's leader, you build farms on your Gristmills to increase your economy but be careful, your farms will eventually run their course and go fallow, and you will have to plant new farms or buy a new Gristmill, once a farm is used up it cannot be reseeded so every Gristmill has a limit on how much it can be produced, though most matches in the multiplayer will usually end will probably end before this is a major issue. At the start of a multiplayer match you can pick a roster of units and defenses to bring to battle, and you build Warrens that will automatically recruit units with the food you produce until they reach the cap each warren provides (3 for Tier 1 Warrens, 2 for Tier 2 Warrens, 1 for Tier 3 Warrens)

Here is a list of the units available in the game and some information about Warrens:

https://toothandtailwiki.com/units/

So, who is ready to fight Tooth and Tail?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
Lord_Asmodeus on

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    This game is very good.

broken image link
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    This game is great. Also I won a multiplayer game through the sheer power of salt. Dude tapped after he hadn't killed Kasha in like, ten engagements.

Funny thing was that he had higher army value for the vast majority of the game. Apparently just losing five units before every fight is demoralising.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have trouble keeping Kasha alive, I think part of the problem is I don't micro properly with the individual unit type rallying, it's not that I don't micro but in the heat of a fight I tend to forget I can rally one type of unit instead of just mass rally's. I've also been using squirrels alot because they're better AA and are better for early harassment IMO, but I think I might switch to lizards to act as better meat shields. My decks tend to favor more variety in tier 2 rather than get 2 types of unit in tier 1. The pigeons are nice but if your army is superior to your opponents or you face them in advantageous ways they usually don't make the difference IMO.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So having watched a decent bit of the good players (or at least tournament players):

About 3 slots will be filled with 2 of the 3 basic tier 1's (Squirrels, Lizards, Toads) and pigeons.

The other 3 are more open to preference but moles, snakes and boar are pretty popular. No one ever takes more than one defense choice.

The reason you fill 2 of the basics is because they form a rock, paper, scissors set up: Squirrels don't do enough DPS to stop Lizards, Lizards don't have the range to prevent Toads and Toads die before they touch Squirrels. So having 2 of them covers you reasonably well by making the worst case situation being that you're mirroring your opponent.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Huh. I've been going sort of the other direction, squirrels only and then grabbing 3 Tier 2 options to give me more flexibility after I fill out my front lines with squirrel meat shields. I've been putting AFB in my deck for awhile but I don't know if they're worth it, I'm thinking of maybe switching them out for the Trench Gang.

• Options
    At the end of the day your T1's are the brunt of your force so it's not really worth having them countered all game just to get more options at a tier you might not even get meaningful use out of if you lose early fights hard enough.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Well

A rat

But I applaud the pun nonetheless :P

At the end of the day your T1's are the brunt of your force so it's not really worth having them countered all game just to get more options at a tier you might not even get meaningful use out of if you lose early fights hard enough.

I dunno, I find that unless we both just rush tons of units the chance of being straight countered is low, and I've won massed squirrels vs massed lizards with good use of defenses and height. Maybe at the higher tiers this is more critical but at the level at I'm at I find the flexibility in middle tiers more advantageous.

Edit: Most people tend to go with bullet hives and those are really good, but I've been going with barbed wire and find them pretty effective. If you can find a decent choke point they can be amazing equalizers and can't be countered by Ferrets.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Bullet Hive spam is just begging to lose on economy and going farrow IMO. Not that I'm the best player around. Just that I feel like they shouldn't be that effective past the first one or two.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Was watching some streams of this and it looks awesome. The idea that you can play via a controller instead of kbam is exciting. A few questions I had from watching:

1) does your hero not do anything but issue commands and scout?
    2) how are units controlled? you set a waypoint and they "a move" to that spot?

With a bunch of real.life stuff going on I have to sit on the sideline for now but maybe I can get my wife to play this with me at some point.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Was watching some streams of this and it looks awesome. The idea that you can play via a controller instead of kbam is exciting. A few questions I had from watching:

1) does your hero not do anything but issue commands and scout?
    2) how are units controlled? you set a waypoint and they "a move" to that spot?

With a bunch of real.life stuff going on I have to sit on the sideline for now but maybe I can get my wife to play this with me at some point.

Your hero builds structures, rallies a specific unit type, or your entire army, and is used for scouting. They can't do damage or anything, I mostly use them for tanking first bullets for my army so they can get an extra shot in.

Units either are rallied to a point (wherever your commander is standing at the time of button press), or you can hold the button and they'll follow the commander. You can also move the commander on the target you want your army to focus and your units will prioritize that unit.

• Options
    It's also important to know that the unit type you have selected (which is how you choose which building to make) allows you to command that group alone and not your whole army, so like you can park your army on a hill and then pull your mortar ferrets forward alone so they can bombard a building without the rest of your army trying to engage. I don't know what button this is on a controller but with a KBAM it's left click.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    It's also important to know that the unit type you have selected (which is how you choose which building to make) allows you to command that group alone and not your whole army, so like you can park your army on a hill and then pull your mortar ferrets forward alone so they can bombard a building without the rest of your army trying to engage. I don't know what button this is on a controller but with a KBAM it's left click.

Left trigger.

broken image link
  • Options

Left trigger.

That makes sense.

• Options
    Your hero is functionally an RTS mouse cursor that has limited movement speed and which can be killed.

It's a simple, intuitive way of cutting down on RTS APM requirements. Also you get to run around as Hopper, the true advantage of the system.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Personally, I prefer to play as a more stylish Rat, so I stick with the Quartermaster.

Edit: Speaking of, does anyone feel like some games?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    So I played an FFA game and it lasted like 20 minutes but I actually won! And they said turtling was an ineffective strategy, not when the game gives you easy chokepoint access to 3 Gristmills it isn't!

https://youtu.be/IzZYthHbSGU

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Wow, that spectator zoom out is amazing. I wish more games allowed that.

• Options
    For those still interested in the game there have been some pretty heavy balance changes, not too sure how I feel about the changes to Mr.Butters but I guess we'll see.

http://blog.pocketwatchgames.com/post/166374073801/patch-104-butterbomb
    Patch 1.0.4
    I hope you’re wearing your flame retardant undies, the Butterbomb is here.

Butterbomb

Massive changes in this patch both from a feature perspective and balance adjustments.

Campfires

First up: campfires have made their way to multiplayer! Campfires are like a mini-mill/farm combo. They cost 60 food, take 30 seconds to build, and they produce 1 food per second for 300 seconds. They do stave off starvation and they do have to be destroyed to win.

Campfires

Map Customization

Not just campfires though, desert, snow, and other environments are now mixed into multiplayer matches!

Desert, Snow, in multiplayer

On the world selection screen in unranked play, you’ll see this list of options for world generation. You can add more gristmills, make larger maps, or play in a variety of environments featured in the Single Player campaign. Now you can make your opponent fear Howling Vell as if it was their first time all over again.

Massive Balance Changes

Our goal with the balance in this patch was both to mix things up and provide more incentive to tech up out of tier 1 play. So many matches were ending in the first 3 minutes that we had to make some major changes to Lizards, Toads, Moles, and Pigeons.

Boar - Get ready for the Butterbomb! Slower movement (67%). HP-20 (80) His flamethrower No longer does 4x damage to large structures like warrens and gristmills, instead does 2x damage to ALL structures. Upon death, he explodes in a 9x9 tile massive explosion that does 10 damage to units and 20 damage to structures. We made this change so as to make Uncle Butter’s gameplay have a little more texture and decision making. He’s a lit fuse, kill him before he gets to your base!

Barbed Wire - HP+5 (30), any damage it deals out it also takes. Will no longer damage commanders. We made this change because there was no real way to clear Barbed Wire from the field with certain unit compositions. Now you can just tank the damage to make a path. Barbed Wire should see lots more play because of the follow two unit nerfs.

Mole - No longer does double damage to structures. Cannot be sold after they have fully spawned. Damage -1 (2) HP +5 (30). This is admittedly underpowered now, but Moles were such a huge problem in high level play last patch that we had to nerf them. Expect them to get a buff next patch.

Lizard - Range-1 (1). HP+1 (10) Having a ‘melee’ unit with 2 range never made any sense, and significantly reduced barbed wire usage. Making lizards range 1 makes barbed wire more effective against them and reduces their viability in large numbers. To go along with this nerf, though, we made a fix for targeting and patchfinding that will allow lizards to surround their targets more effectively in large numbers. They can still hit air units.

Pigeon - Range -1 (1), HP -1 (4). Reducing pigeon range means that the max number of heal stacks is 9 rather than 25, which should reduce the Tier3+Pigeon Spam strategies we were seeing (while still leaving that somewhat viable).

Toad - Apply equal damage to all in AOE (6 to all instead of 18 to single target, 3 to others). HP + 3 (10). Double damage to structures. Explode on own tile rather than target’s. While the previous meta had toad as the third element of a tier 1 rock paper scissors, this change is intended to make toad be viable versus squirrels, and to force your opponent to tech up. Exploding in their own tile means that they are more likely to hit 3 units rather than 6, so they should be marginally weaker versus lizards even though the lizard range was reduced.

Snake - Remove ability to poison structures. It was always dumb. It’s gone now. They are still good.

Falcon - Damage +1 (7). Bring on the Wing Demons!

Chameleon - Will not unstealth to attack the enemy commander.

Owl - Removed death-bomb. Mice last 60 seconds rather than 30 (so they can build up to a maximum of 12 mice). HP +10 (50). Mice no longer aggro to enemy commander. Mouse damage -1 (2). Might be a sleeper hit here.

Fox - Damage +6 (24). HP -10 (25). Cast time +0.25 secs (0.25), post shot movement freeze +0.25 secs (0.5). Another day another fox change. Hopefully she’s easier to catch now that she has to stand still for a full ¾ second around each shot.

Badger - Fixed bug where her weapon spindown was taking as long as the weapon spin up. Minigun now spins down in 1 second, rather than 6.

Machine Gun Turret - HP -3 (32)

Landmine - Damage +3 (12, 4 to AOE).

Warrens - Health per tier: 50, 75, 100 (was 60 for all tiers)

Other Stuff

Version number now visible on main menu
    Players no longer spawn quite so close together
    Passworded lobbies fixed
    Crash in audio code fixed
    Fixed issue that would cause the match to end when a spectator leaves a match in progress
    Still hard at work on GOG crossplay, no news yet
    These changes will all be coming to the next PS4 patch, no schedule on that yet

• Options
    i bought this last week and just starting diving into the campaign. havent gotten very far and am still getting used to the controls. more muscle memory type stuff as im trying to figure out the most comfortable way to toggle between stuff

• Options
    The campaign can be a real slog, especially with the randomized maps. I'm curious how the balance changes will shift how the campaign plays honestly.

• Options
    yeah i noticed the randomized maps and was surprised they went that route. after i saw the randomization i kinda said the hell with the special objectives. i can only imagine some maps are virtually impossible if you dont get the appropriate spawns.

what does completing the bonuses get you anyway?

• Options
    As far as I'm aware it just unlocks an achievement and the self-satisfaction of accomplishing a difficult goal

• Options
    if it's just achievements then fuck it ill just play them normally

• Options
    edited October 2017
    is there no way to do vs AI matches? ive yet to see all the units but i kinda want to jump into MP so i want to warm up with some bots

edit: won my first ranked match. no fucking clue what i am doing for build orders or even unit selection. i just knew i wanted the puking owls or whatever they are since that seems good.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    is there no way to do vs AI matches? ive yet to see all the units but i kinda want to jump into MP so i want to warm up with some bots

edit: won my first ranked match. no fucking clue what i am doing for build orders or even unit selection. i just knew i wanted the puking owls or whatever they are since that seems good.

To do vs AI go into offline and then just select your commander of choice, you will then be presented with the option of adding bots for however many slots are left. If you want I'm open to playing some 1v1 matches or some 2v2's vs bots in unranked.

• Options

To do vs AI go into offline and then just select your commander of choice, you will then be presented with the option of adding bots for however many slots are left. If you want I'm open to playing some 1v1 matches or some 2v2's vs bots in unranked.

I'll give it a try tonight hopefully. I only briefly perused the options so I clearly missed it.

Also, is the first farm "free"? I was kinda frantically looking over stuff but it seemed that I could queue a farm at the start even without 60 food?

• Options
    Every farm costs 60 food, but you can queue 1 farm at any given time. When queued your food will stockpile until you have enough to buy the farm in which case it will automatically be purchased, this lets you explore the map and do other things without having to wait for every farm to finish, but you can only queue 1. While queued things that would automatically take food like the replenishing your military units up to their supply cap will be put on hold until it has enough food, but you can make purchases of less than 60 food while a farm is queued manually, like for making barbed wire and mines.

• Options
    Every farm costs 60 food, but you can queue 1 farm at any given time. When queued your food will stockpile until you have enough to buy the farm in which case it will automatically be purchased, this lets you explore the map and do other things without having to wait for every farm to finish, but you can only queue 1. While queued things that would automatically take food like the replenishing your military units up to their supply cap will be put on hold until it has enough food, but you can make purchases of less than 60 food while a farm is queued manually, like for making barbed wire and mines.

Ah so I can queue it regardless of time elapsed in the game. I must just not have hit that timing as I was flailing about.

I'm really liking this game. Although some streamers seem to be burnt out already

• Options
    I play a lot of stuff against bots and some unofficial stuff, I find myself enjoying FFA's and 2v2's more than 1v1 personally.

• Options
    Are there any build order guides available? Didn't get to play last night but I'm eager to try stuff out

• Options
    Generally the strategy is to queue 1 farm and go looking for your enemies and then burrow back when you have enough food to get a tier 1 warren. I prefer getting 2 tier 1 warrens at least before grabbing a tier 2 warren or going for extra farms or gristmills. The bullet hive is always a solid defensive choice and grabbing one or two on a defensible position can mean save you from a lot of economic raiding.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    does the AI cheat on ruthless? i'm watching this replay and they have more farms than i do as soon as the game starts

EDIT, it appears it has to be set to medium for you to start on equal footing with the AI. otherwise it starts out with additional income

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Been messing around with the following list vs ai. I dropped the difficulty down to medium until I can figure out wtf I'm doing. When I realized the ai straight up cheats at higher difficulties I didn't feel it was useful practice. I am not sure how it influences their decision making or micro though.

Squirrels
    Toads

Falcons
    Skunks

Matriarch
    Bullet farm/mill/whatever it's called, the turret

The skunks I'm not sure about and the turret is flexible too. I like the matriarch but I'm having difficulty figuring out my economy and army balance. I'm frequently starving for...well food. Since I was going against the ai it wasn't uncommon for them to show up with a huge amount of lizards or squirrels early on, then a later wave with snakes or some other tier 2 mixed in.

I had hoped I could just hold early on with a lot of toads but that didn't seem to work out. Plus since they never survive I was always in a state of decline when it comes to resources. Since I just switched to hopper in the campaign I haven't even seen most of the units in action yet.

• Options
    It's best not to use too many toads, they exist to clear out large numbers of lizards and similar but since they're suicide bombers it's best to keep them back unless you need to use them for crowd control.

• Options
    Yeah I was having difficulty microing them effectively. I just need to play more games, build some muscle memory and regular memory for what I want to do

• Options
    went 1-2 tonight but i learned something. i was always just building all my farms but apparently that is super greedy. it is necessary to get some sort of units out by farm 5 or 6

• Options
    Oh yeah building too many farms at once is a good way to get knocked out fast, I generally recommend building at least 1 tier 1 warren and/or some defenses after the first farm. Going for too many farms early on will leave you very vulnerable to economic raiding, and isn't even that great long term since it means all of your starting farms will go fallow around the same time.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    yeah, i have been doing much better and it feels smoother with an earlier warren. although i'm not sure why certain units don't hit structures. for example vipers will sit and stare at them. same for barbed wire. i google'd a bit and they mustve been able to previously but were nerfed

been having success with:

squirrel
    pigeon
    viper
    badger
    bullet hive
    [flex]

not really sure what to put in the last spot. been choosing falcons lately but havent actually used them. usually going farm --> farm --> warren --> bullet hive if i don't think i can defend (usually) then viper. since so many people are going heavy squirrels or lizards the vipers just chew them apart and then i transition to badgers + pigeons.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    So I'm winning and losing games but I'm not really sure why. The specific in game reason may be because I was able to hold a strategic gristmill or hit when my opponent was weakened, but I don't really have a clue as to why I was able to engineer those scenarios (or fail to). I'm also having difficulty microing. My units don't seem to switch targets ever. As a result I tend to lose s lot of fights unless I have an overwhelming advantage.

Have the server's seemed unstable at all lately? Been getting a lot of connection issues the last couple of days.