As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh man, EA is shutting down Visceral Entertainment. They made the Dead Space games, which I loved. And they were working on a new Star Wars game headed by Amy Hennig. I was really looking forward to that one because she's done great work over the course of her career. Another development studio will take over the Star Wars game, with Amy Hennig's future there up in the air.

What a bummer.

The 1st Dead Space game is right up there with System Shock 2 on my list of best horror games of all time. After what they did to DS2 (which was still somewhat enjoyable) and then DS3 i actually see this as a psuedo-blessing as long as the people involved with DS1 can find employment in a company that won't completely castrate their ideas.

I wasn't a big fan of DS1...I don't know if I just played it at the wrong time/was in the wrong mindset. But I loved DS2. I have 3 but haven't played it...what is wrong with it?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dead Space 3's story was kind of a mess, and they threw in a love triangle thing that didn't need to be in there. They also had a lot of microtransactions. And there was co-op, which was kind of neat, but it resulted in this second character showing up out of nowhere in cutscenes as if he'd been there with you the whole time in the single player.

And worst of all, they hid the game's true ending behind DLC.

That being said, I still liked the game. It just wasn't as good as the first two.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Some pre-Alpha footage of Vermintide 2 (actual gameplay starts at 1:18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AovSuioMM2w

Karoz on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Dead Space 3's story was kind of a mess, and they threw in a love triangle thing that didn't need to be in there. They also had a lot of microtransactions. And there was co-op, which was kind of neat, but it resulted in this second character showing up out of nowhere in cutscenes as if he'd been there with you the whole time in the single player.

And worst of all, they hid the game's true ending behind DLC.

That being said, I still liked the game. It just wasn't as good as the first two.

Basically every AAA sin outside of Project 10 Dollar.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here since its been forever since i played it, but if I remember correctly the movement in DS1 was much more bulky and slow which for me made it feel like you were actually in a RIG which added a bit of tension/immersion.

I seem to recall that being a topic of debate back in the day with people not really appreciating it, and it was removed in DS2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Looks like the first game :0

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Karoz wrote: »

It's also $30 with 10% off for pre-order. That's a surprisingly reasonable price considering how much gameplay I got out of the first one. (though their DLC practices kind of drive new players away from looking at it)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here since its been forever since i played it, but if I remember correctly the movement in DS1 was much more bulky and slow which for me made it feel like you were actually in a RIG which added a bit of tension/immersion.

I seem to recall that being a topic of debate back in the day with people not really appreciating it, and it was removed in DS2.

You were definitely a lot less lumbering in the sequels. I thought it was a positive change overall. Plus you could repeatedly stomp on stuff while shouting obscenities, which felt nice.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    One was survival-horror, two was action-horror, and three was love-comedy-horror.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Oh man, EA is shutting down Visceral Entertainment. They made the Dead Space games, which I loved. And they were working on a new Star Wars game headed by Amy Hennig. I was really looking forward to that one because she's done great work over the course of her career. Another development studio will take over the Star Wars game, with Amy Hennig's future there up in the air.

What a bummer.
    “Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”
    Focus group'd to death. :sad:
    You'd think they would have learned after Dead Space 3.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Dead Space 3 was about 1/4th too long. The end just felt way too long and samey. If they had cut off the ending and had it end earlier it would have been much much better.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Dead Space 3's first third (after the intro) was so cool! I loved exploring that whole area. But yeah, after that came the samey-ness.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The mechanic I've come to hate most in games is "tap direction twice quickly to dash", because I'll be honest, I'm not able to think that quick when it comes to dodging an attack. Single button press, that's fine, but I have issues otherwise.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Low spec game suggestions:

Cook Serve Delicious 2 is a platespinning game about being a chef. In the end a lot of the skill is blind typing.

SpaceChem is a puzzle game that will make you feel smart for every solution, then dumb for every next puzzle.

Darkest Dungeon is turnbased horror dungeoncrawl with roguelike elements

FTL is a runbased spaceship roguelike.

West of Loathing is a well written (and funny) pastiche Wild West jrpg.

Path of Exile: A F2P Diablo2 inspired ARPG. Hard to say how it will run at min sys reqs but free to try, and quite fun without spending a dime.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is still the best traditional Roguelike I have played, and free (can be played in browser now I believe)

Hollow Knight is a 2D Soulslike. Controller heavily recommended.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Lots of good low spec game suggestions. I'll add another: Organ Trail. It's basically What If We Set Oregon Trail In A Zombie Apocalypse.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FUcNkaLPU

I played through it only once, but my wife busts it out every now and then and really enjoys it. The soundtrack is pretty good too.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Low spec game suggestions:

Cook Serve Delicious 2 is a platespinning game about being a chef. In the end a lot of the skill is blind typing.

SpaceChem is a puzzle game that will make you feel smart for every solution, then dumb for every next puzzle.

Darkest Dungeon is turnbased horror dungeoncrawl with roguelike elements

FTL is a runbased spaceship roguelike.

West of Loathing is a well written (and funny) pastiche Wild West jrpg.

Path of Exile: A F2P Diablo2 inspired ARPG. Hard to say how it will run at min sys reqs but free to try, and quite fun without spending a dime.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is still the best traditional Roguelike I have played, and free (can be played in browser now I believe)

Hollow Knight is a 2D Soulslike. Controller heavily recommended.

Unless POE has been optimized since I last played it, it played like ass on my old rig, so it may not play well as a low spec game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Elex keeping up the fine post apocalyptic tradition of no one ever clearing out the skeletons.

Come on, guys. Don't get me wrong, I love a good dirty rustic setting and Its one thing if you don't want to clean up the ruins a few feet outside of town but theres no way you can live in an old hotel and not get bummed out by the 200 year old dead guy in the bathtub on the second floor.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Just saw an article at PC Gamer about a game that comes out on Steam on Thursday called Bomber Crew. They compared it to FTL, but set in World War 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muL2adlVshw

I don't think it's really my thing, as much as I loved FTL, but someone here might find it neat. I think it looks a little too hectic for me.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Since Elex is out and I generally like Gothic, I decided to give it a shot. No wait, I lied and I played Risen instead because I hate myself and it's in my backlog.

My opinion of it so far, around an hour in, is that it is utter garbage. People praise the worldbuilding and open-endedness of it, but very nearly every positive review of it glosses entirely over the thing you'll be doing the most often: fighting. The melee combat is godawful to the point where I can safely consider it inferior to even Oblivion's, and that is a low, low bar to mount. The game seems to want you to execute dodges and fancy footwork in addition to blocks when engaging in melee opponents, but problems arise when: 1.) Windows of opportunity to dodge attacks are very narrow and dodging is a two-key affair (either double tap a direction or jump+direction), and 2.) The AI of anything but the most bog-standard critters simply (and obviously) reads your inputs, so you'll see one frame-perfect dodge after another the moment your character model begins the first couple frames of an attack animation. Coupled with the fact that enemies are huge sacks of HP and your character is very much not so, and you're off to quickload town more often than I prefer.

I want to like this game, as I do enjoy most of Piranha Bytes' work, but this combat is doing me in.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Just saw an article at PC Gamer about a game that comes out on Steam on Thursday called Bomber Crew. They compared it to FTL, but set in World War 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muL2adlVshw

I don't think it's really my thing, as much as I loved FTL, but someone here might find it neat. I think it looks a little too hectic for me.

Sweet! I just was looking for something like FTL a day or two ago. This looks like a good for.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    korodullin wrote: »
    Since Elex is out and I generally like Gothic, I decided to give it a shot. No wait, I lied and I played Risen instead because I hate myself and it's in my backlog.

My opinion of it so far, around an hour in, is that it is utter garbage. People praise the worldbuilding and open-endedness of it, but very nearly every positive review of it glosses entirely over the thing you'll be doing the most often: fighting. The melee combat is godawful to the point where I can safely consider it inferior to even Oblivion's, and that is a low, low bar to mount. The game seems to want you to execute dodges and fancy footwork in addition to blocks when engaging in melee opponents, but problems arise when: 1.) Windows of opportunity to dodge attacks are very narrow and dodging is a two-key affair (either double tap a direction or jump+direction), and 2.) The AI of anything but the most bog-standard critters simply (and obviously) reads your inputs, so you'll see one frame-perfect dodge after another the moment your character model begins the first couple frames of an attack animation. Coupled with the fact that enemies are huge sacks of HP and your character is very much not so, and you're off to quickload town more often than I prefer.

I want to like this game, as I do enjoy most of Piranha Bytes' work, but this combat is doing me in.

On one occasion, I got into a fight with a guy in a town. I spent thirty minutes dueling him all over the streets as I tried to get through his perfect blocks and keep up my own.

I suspect that there is some stat progression related to combat effectiveness but fuck I could figure out what it was. The critters are comically transparent about their reactions to your key presses. You essentially end up controlling both the critter and your own character.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017

This is why I used guns in Risen 2 and now Elex.

Melee combat might not be all that bad in Elex, seemed better but I didn't experiment with it much after I found a bow early on.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Finally spent a good couple of hours with Stellaris. I dialled stuff way back, like number of planets, number of empires, etc, and my resulting game is still massive. I haven't played a space empire type 4X game in a long time, and I was worried about being quickly overwhelmed, but the game turns out to be less utterly impenetrable than I'd feared. The tutorial bits aren't great, but they nudge you hard enough in the right direction while letting you do other things as you want or as they come up, which is good because the game clearly gives zero shits that the tutorial is actually running over the top of it. It's as pretty as it needs to be, but what jumped out at me the most from minute one was the music, which is incredible. Glad I grabbed it on sale a few weeks back, definitely liking it so far, despite its occasional attempts to overload my brain.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

On one occasion, I got into a fight with a guy in a town. I spent thirty minutes dueling him all over the streets as I tried to get through his perfect blocks and keep up my own.

I suspect that there is some stat progression related to combat effectiveness but fuck I could figure out what it was. The critters are comically transparent about their reactions to your key presses. You essentially end up controlling both the critter and your own character.

I got through the early game combat just fine but if you get far enough in the plot you eventually enter a dungeon full of ridiculously strong enemies. I managed to kill one after several tries, then realized the whole damn place was filled with them and uninstalled.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288
    Activision was granted a patent this month for a system it uses to convince people in multiplayer games to purchase items for a game through microtransactions.

"For example, in one implementation, the system may include a microtransaction engine that arranges matches to influence game-related purchases," according to the patent. "For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

Burn it all down.

• Options
    One thing I think PB's games do really well is making a thieving bastard less frustrating.

Don't have to constantly reload or fight the entire city guard becuase the pickpocket RNG odds weren't in my favor.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288
    Activision was granted a patent this month for a system it uses to convince people in multiplayer games to purchase items for a game through microtransactions.

"For example, in one implementation, the system may include a microtransaction engine that arranges matches to influence game-related purchases," according to the patent. "For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

Burn it all down.

I'm not able to exactly pinpoint one thing about this that makes me raging pissed off. It's more like every fiber of this intent that reeks of exploitation and dystopian corporate bullshit insanity.

Huh, I guess I can pinpoint the problem after all.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »

I got through the early game combat just fine but if you get far enough in the plot you eventually enter a dungeon full of ridiculously strong enemies. I managed to kill one after several tries, then realized the whole damn place was filled with them and uninstalled.

I'm in the middle of playing Risen myself (on 360). I'm not a huge RPG kind of person nor am I overly fond of 'fantasy' settings. But Risen is...okay.

What I can say about the combat is that it's mainly about leveling up the chosen fighting skill and strength stat. I'm shit for dodging, but when you learn the ability to swing a sword left or right rather than the default swing, it makes hitting enemies of all types a bit easier. But, it's still a lot of blocking and strafing waiting for a chance to swing back.

PRO TIP: Vary the attacks you use. Don't go for a full combo all the time. Feint in with an attack and keep moving. Openings will eventually come. But, cherry tapping is the name of the game.

And one other thing the game doesn't really explain is that there are a myriad of hidden 'beef gates' all over the goddamned place. It is possible to defeat some of the stronger enemies before you're really ready, but at most all you'd really get is a higher XP result and maybe a much stronger weapon drop that you probably can't use until you level up something.

The whole world is essentially open from the beginning so if you start going exploring too soon, you'll step into the viper next and get fucked. Save often. One 'bonus' is that when you kill enemies, they stay dead. At least until the next chapter (of which there are five) and then they repopulate with stronger versions.

I use this to help get through the quests. I only look up the quests as they're active in my log to avoid to much spoilerly content. The game world lacks a well defined direction so knowing where to go to accomplish things also prevents stumbling into areas where the danger is literally too great. If I do, it's because I decided to explore along the way. And I pretty much save before I do it.

The site is also a pretty good resource on the game world content. If using a site like this goes against some personal credo and the game sounds like, or plays like, something you don't want, then there's no shame in walking away.

I'm personally keen to see what the story they have to tell is.

The combat is shit, however. At least in the first one. The combat in the first Fable is better. But not by much.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Rpgmaker bundle still active if you want it.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Does Bundlestars list prices in your local currency? I saw they had the DLC for Total War Warhammer but it's listed price is higher than on Steam.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does Bundlestars list prices in your local currency? I saw they had the DLC for Total War Warhammer but it's listed price is higher than on Steam.

https://support.bundlestars.com/hc/en-us/articles/202389132-Payment-methods-available
    Currency Notes:

Payment are taken in either GBP, EURO, USD or CAD depending on your detected location.
    Locations which can't be detected will default to GBP including VAT.

No AUD sadly, but then I rarely buy games much anymore

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Strange thenthat it's listing the Beastmen DLC higher than Steam.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Seems like that's the case here in Australia as well. Maybe they'll make up for it with a bigger discount when it's on sale.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Burn it all down.

I don't think I've read a more infuriating and obvious exploitation of microtransactions. Bravo Activision, you suck again still.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Spoiler: Every company that uses microtransactions is likely doing something like this. Maybe not exactly this, but something like it for sure.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Maybe it’s patented to stop others. Maybe EA is being altruistic!

:tell_me_more:

• Options
    I approve of this evil.

<3

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I actually think this is pretty terrible, because it's a deliberate downgrade of play quality.

They are not matching on skill level or ping, but to invoke jealousy and allow power fantasy after purchases.

Imagine being the lower skilled player who gets matched with someone buying l33t guns and getting a 20 killstreak on you because of this.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I actually think this is pretty terrible, because it's a deliberate downgrade of play quality.

They are not matching on skill level or ping, but to invoke jealousy and allow power fantasy after purchases.

Imagine being the lower skilled player who gets matched with someone buying l33t guns and getting a 20 killstreak on you because of this.

srsbsns

Keeping Up With The Joneses has been a problem for people since forever. The only way to break it is to manage jealousy. Which is hard enough to do if you've been conditioned to accept the idea that buying things makes life better somehow. This was inevitable, really.

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    While it is Bond Villain Tier Evil, Activision released a statement that it is not currently implemented in any of their games.

But Activision has always been shit, so this is no surprise to me, and I expect them to successfully abuse it in the future, with the begrudging but eventually complicit acceptance of the gaming community, much like Early Access games, Microtransactions, DLCs that are just content cut off from the original release version, etc.

I'm certainly guilty of handing my money over for all of those, but it doesn't mean I don't hate that they exist.

ElementWrath on