As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I've made an executive decision to flake on evening plans I was not loving and hadn't committed to in the first place. Anyone got any multiplayer games they would like to play?

I could run some Tabletop sim, play Secret Hitler or Letters from Whitechapel.

Or other games would be fun too, if others has suggestions.

@destroyah87 I should be available and up to play either of those. Just give a time and hopefully I don't procrastinate too much on my homework. :razz:

Edit: Oh look a VIP deal on GMG for House Party at $6. Would be a great spite gift if it wasn't $6 and spending money on House Party--and that pesky self-gifting ban.

Karoz on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Jazz, Shadow Tactics is wonderful, really updates that Commandos/Robin Hood/Desperados gameplay

I never played the others - never even heard of the Robin Hood one! - but I really liked Commandos 1 back in the day, which is what got me interested in Shadow Tactics, of course. Yeah, I'd just been waiting for a good sale on it!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I ... didn't find Hellblade to be unbearably repetitive. The fighting mechanics were so fluid and fun, especially after discovering some of the "hidden" combo moves, that I had fun throughout murderkilling all the vikings ever. :D

I'm right at the end section, I'm sure of it. I think the fighting is fine and I actually really enjoy it. My only gripe with the game is the lack of direction at times. More often than not, I get turned around when I have to do a round of fighting and the landscape makes it difficult to work out which way I'd come in to the area. Other than that, I'm fine with the game and enjoy it a lot. The puzzles are really neat and the gameplay if fine outside of the lack of direction at times.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Jazz, Shadow Tactics is wonderful, really updates that Commandos/Robin Hood/Desperados gameplay

I never played the others - never even heard of the Robin Hood one! - but I really liked Commandos 1 back in the day, which is what got me interested in Shadow Tactics, of course. Yeah, I'd just been waiting for a good sale on it!

You will not regret it. The game is great. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The stages are real fun and puzzly and often allow for multiple solutions, the UI is smooth as butter, and the player characters are actually pretty likable.

Just beating it is a lot easier than Commandos (which is fair, because Commandos could get downright vicious), but for people who are better than I am the optional challenges vary between "pretty hard" and "downright fucking evil".

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »

You will not regret it. The game is great. I enjoyed it thoroughly. The stages are real fun and puzzly and often allow for multiple solutions, the UI is smooth as butter, and the player characters are actually pretty likable.

Just beating it is a lot easier than Commandos (which is fair, because Commandos could get downright vicious), but for people who are better than I am the optional challenges vary between "pretty hard" and "downright fucking evil".

Commandos' biggest issue was definitely its often brutal difficulty, so it's good to hear that Shadow Tactics isn't so crazy hard; but having the optional challenges be tough(er) sounds like a pretty good compromise between challenge and accessibility. Also Commandos could (seemingly, at least) rely on "one true solution" so ST offering multiple solutions really floats my boat.

You guys are getting me all hyped up. Again. There has been plenty of good talk about it here before, of course. I'm really looking forward to this one. Might get some time with it later on, or if not hopefully over the weekend.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Sooo... after all these years... THQ Nordic released a new expansion for Titan Quest today.

That seems weird. But hey, why not!

oh man. We should all get together and do a max player Titan Quest game.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

Commandos' biggest issue was definitely its often brutal difficulty, so it's good to hear that Shadow Tactics isn't so crazy hard; but having the optional challenges be tough(er) sounds like a pretty good compromise between challenge and accessibility. Also Commandos could (seemingly, at least) rely on "one true solution" so ST offering multiple solutions really floats my boat.

You guys are getting me all hyped up. Again. There has been plenty of good talk about it here before, of course. I'm really looking forward to this one. Might get some time with it later on, or if not hopefully over the weekend.

Note the game is still hard, mind. There's a reason they give you multiple quicksave slots. It's just not Commandos-level "and now do this perfectly or die", but there are certainly stages that made me initially go "oh come on!" when looking at them. Of course, going from "oh god that looks impossible" to "a-HA! I have it!" is kind of a large chunk of the fun of these games!

As a note, Yuki is scary effective for a fourteen year old with a flute and a knife. Use and abuse her skillset.

• Options

Note the game is still hard, mind. There's a reason they give you multiple quicksave slots. It's just not Commandos-level "and now do this perfectly or die", but there are certainly stages that made me initially go "oh come on!" when looking at them. Of course, going from "oh god that looks impossible" to "a-HA! I have it!" is kind of a large chunk of the fun of these games!

As a note, Yuki is scary effective for a fourteen year old with a flute and a knife. Use and abuse her skillset.

Hard is absolutely fine. I don't expect it to be a cakewalk. But brutally, savagely, downright unfair is something else. And multiple quicksave slots sounds like a good design decision!

And noted. :+1:

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    yml8iKQ.png

VX3hWqJ.png

You send @destroyah87 one innocent little friendly package, and he retaliates with two. What kind of monster does that? Huh? What kind of monster?!

Thanks! These both look really cool! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Yes. Wut kind of monster does that? @Pixelated Pixie

6ssbr82dlwgh.jpg
    Hmmmmmm.

n6o3djbx6yxw.jpg
    ekyl3e0096lz.jpg
    0xv2vd9cstee.jpg
    hmmmmmmmm

Thank you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I5BUIfK.png

5tgvWXV.png

lfMhw2i.png

And this, you think, is fair retaliation? I can't even see through all this smoke and debris! You fiend! And is that the smell of sulfur I detect?

Thanks @destroyah87! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Thank you @Kalnaur for the well wishes...

And also thanks to @MNC Dover for the gift! :)

e5j0qucmvse3.png

I went to PAX unplugged from 12 to 6 today, but I'll play Secret Hitler tonight if we can get a crew together! I bought a physical copy of it today but my friend didn't want to play it so we never got to it.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Touhou 16 extra stage cleared. This is a good "my first Touhou" the difficulty is fair no bullshit deaths from a sudden laser from the side. The sub-option mechanic keeps the "how the hell do you do that without bombs" patterns in check.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Just finished a playthrough of Debris. This was an interesting game. Three hours from start to finish over 3-4 sessions. The story is told competently and is the strong point of the game. It also has pretty terrific sound design, audio work, and decent voice acting.

You are Ryan and you are a professional diver. You're exploring a portion of the arctic ocean where a meteor broke up and impacted on the ocean floor. Along with scientists Sonya and Chris. But then, in the vein of stories since ... uh, ever something goes terribly wrong. Now you're trapped in underwater caves and must find your way up to the surface. No oxygen meter, you have to survive by keeping your power up. What's kinda interesting is that power is also used for shooting flares and a ranged attack. It's a balancing act.

I feel the $20 price point is just about right. I wouldn't fault anybody for waiting on a sale though. $20 for a single playthrough might still feel a bit steep. Sure, I could replay it for the other endings (ending screen says there are four), but I don't really relish going through the tense levels again, certainly not immediately.

endings spoiler/thoughts.
    Which I can only assumed come from two separate A/B choices given at different points of the game.

So you'd have A/A, A/B, B/A, and B/B as endings.

Final Thoughts: I'd say this is a 6/10 Total. 9/10 for the concept and execution and atmosphere. Gameplay and controls do hold it back a bit.

Thank you @big classy for gifting me the game. It's pretty good game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    Oh glory! Sky Rogue has updates it is glorious.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Just beat Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and then immediately watched the featurette after. Let me rephrase that first bit; just got beaten by Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. It's a heavy game. The ending was fantastic and unexpected and I hope more games push for this kind of emotional narrative that's really personal.

Thanks again, @destroyah87!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever have trouble sending humble bundle links to friends?

In August I sent my friend a bunch of links from telltale 2017 bundle but today I learned that he couldn't add them to his steam account because the links say it's been redeemed.

I sent him a separate key for a game in that bundle and that worked but the links don't.

After re sending all orders I clicked one of the links on my page and it said it was redeemed as well.

But the games aren't on his account so they can't have been redeemed.

This is so annoying.

I should have contacted the humble support months ago when I noticed only that one game had been added to his steam account.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Has anyone ever have trouble sending humble bundle links to friends?

In August I sent my friend a bunch of links from telltale 2017 bundle but today I learned that he couldn't add them to his steam account because the links say it's been redeemed.

I sent him a separate key for a game in that bundle and that worked but the links don't.

After re sending all orders I clicked one of the links on my page and it said it was redeemed as well.

But the games aren't on his account so they can't have been redeemed.

This is so annoying.

I should have contacted the humble support months ago when I noticed only that one game had been added to his steam account.

I know the humble bundle keys page can be a bit buggy and keys you've redeemed are shown as if they weren't. I usually try to make sure a redemption "takes" so I don't have an issue down the line.

Still, I have had problems with sending links that don't work or were never received and did contact Humble Bundle support to help figure it out. Still I'm wary about sending links when the keys are right there.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Sooo... after all these years... THQ Nordic released a new expansion for Titan Quest today.

That's awesome. I would love to see some older games randomly get expansions like this.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I got bombed in chat yesterday.

0l0qw0zcsc5u.png

Thanks @Mugsley @Firebird @Stabbity Style @Big Classy for the gifts!

• Options
    Ristorante Amore not steam and is good and should be played.

I have no other comments.

Sky rogue is still fun and my greed for more money collides with the fact that I'm colliding with things that blow me up.

Colliding with wreckage you thought you cleared and having the screen shake in a not fatal fashion is a good way to exercise the bowels.

• Options
    Doing a new campaign of The Empire in Total Warhammer and things are going a lot better. Actually have a viable economy (when the beast men aren't raiding my towns/when I'm raiding the nearby gobbo settlement), two armies, a confederation, lots of defensive alliances and putting a wayward Baron in his place.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So it's goat simulator with kicking.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, not what I expected from that art.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Touhou 16 extra stage cleared. This is a good "my first Touhou" the difficulty is fair no bullshit deaths from a sudden laser from the side. The sub-option mechanic keeps the "how the hell do you do that without bombs" patterns in check.

I tend to recommend people start with Perfect Cherry Blossom. I really should get around to beating Hidden Star In Four Seasons - I beat it once, but didn't 1CC it. Stage 5 really did a number on me, if memory serves.

• Options
    From the art, I thought that had potential. Then I watched the video. Am now disappointed.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, unfortunately that art looks like the best thing about the game. :(

• Options
    Doing a new campaign of The Empire in Total Warhammer and things are going a lot better. Actually have a viable economy (when the beast men aren't raiding my towns/when I'm raiding the nearby gobbo settlement), two armies, a confederation, lots of defensive alliances and putting a wayward Baron in his place.--whoops put this post down and played some more hours.

The baron is put down and another I had pissed off but then opportunistically took out. Have some bodies in the way of the Greenskins and Wood Elves so I can take on the Vampire Counts. Sacking their cities has given me a nice economic boost to build up at home and get my third army going. Did have a slight kerfuffle when I couldn't get my second army to support my first due to have to move around the ring of influence of a town I had just sacked. Oh well, lesson learned, hopefully I can draw the Vampire Counts out, otherwise I'll raise their minor strongholds and take out the Von Carsteins (somehow still alive with just one settlement).

Combat is controlling a bit better but most of my encounters lately have been decided by autoresolve. Amazing how things go in your favor when you're the one with advanced units for a change.

I think Total Warhammer has finally clicked for me. At least with vanilla Empire.

Probably should take this to the Total Warhammer thread, but no Hand of Fate 2 thread so you'll have to suffer my continued gushing for that game.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How much is an appropriate amount of money to charge for babby's first Unity game where you can kick NotTrump and NotHillary in the balls?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I tend to recommend people start with Perfect Cherry Blossom. I really should get around to beating Hidden Star In Four Seasons - I beat it once, but didn't 1CC it. Stage 5 really did a number on me, if memory serves.

Perfect Cherry Blossom is a real good first Touhou game to try. The cherry barriers give you a lot of leeway early on when you don't quite know how the game works yet.

I'll need to buy the Steam version of HSIFS when I have the cash to spare. It's a real good game, and I like that I have the option to support the creator.

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    FYI, The Spellforce 3 Free Preview is worth checking out for anyone who is looking for a solid RTS. It is both competitive, and a lot more relaxed in its pacing then most modern RTS games. Also features the voice actor who plays Geralt, you shall be slaying monsters in your head whether you like it or not!

Campaign prologue, and 10 hours of mp beta logged. All signs indicate a really solid game on all fronts. Some minor clunkiness for sure, but far outweighed by the charm, visuals and general mechanics of the game. It has been a really long time since I was this pleased with an overall RTS experience.

Think WC3 + Northgard, at least that is the closest comparison I can think of mechanically. That doesn't really do it justice though, it is really its own game.

I will be around binging this thing all weekend if anyone decides to check it out and is a bit overwhelmed feel free to pm me, because this game deserves to be played.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    41pgt8a42v05.png

@Antoshka twisted the words of Mal and this somehow leads to me taking the hit.

Thank you. <3<3 Siege looks a ton of fun. Unless I end up the last alive on my team. Then it might get a bit stressful.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

So does this mean I can have more New Vegas DLC now that this is a thing?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    R5oSfL4.png

Well. That happened. Because @Antoshka is a monster.

Thanks for The Shrouded Isle, which seems to be about heresy and human sacrifice? I'm in! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Enlong wrote: »

Perfect Cherry Blossom is a real good first Touhou game to try. The cherry barriers give you a lot of leeway early on when you don't quite know how the game works yet.

I'll need to buy the Steam version of HSIFS when I have the cash to spare. It's a real good game, and I like that I have the option to support the creator.

The sub options in HSIFS are a bit like the cherry barrier from PCB. You can use the to clear an area around you butt the trade off for having them available on demand is it hurts your damage output and depending on character sub option configuration your area of attack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, Steam thread, Hitman has just started going through the old elusive targets, so if you missed any of them, you can get another shot at them (though you can't redo them if you've finished/failed them). Anyway, the first elusive target just went up, so if you missed that, you can do it now for a limited time!

Stabbity_Style.png