As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    dammit, I want to play more things!

You heard him folks, gift the cat!

The Cat in the Hat Strikes Back

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    This just went on sale today. Sleepy devs? :)

signature.png

Anyway, looks interesting. Not many reviews (although lots of references to Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics from the few there are), and only a couple friends have it wishlisted.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bought Crusader No Regret on GOG, murdered many times, murdered many more.

Cannot use offensive weapons, still glad I bought it.

Uninstalling.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    FTL might not be for me. That is all.

Play on easy and abuse the pause button. If you can turn off the additional content I'd probably recommend that as well. While it's awesome, I do think it made the game harder.

Still, if it doesn't click, it doesn't click.

It's more the perma-death. There's only a few games that I like it in, and in this, it feels like I'm reading a choose your own adventure story, and with those, I'd just hop back to the previous page if I hit a dead end and try another "path", where with FTL it feels like it doesn't just want me to start back at the beginning of the story, it wants to tear out a few pages, then burn the book, rewrite the story, and force me to do this over and over until I choose the arbitrary combination of things that will get me to "the end".

Still, on Easy the first time, I got through to Sector 5? I totally abused the pause button.

Fair enough, but that is actually a good mentality to have because a lot of the non-combat encounters are just like that. They'll set up an encounter and if you have the requisites you'll succeed the challenge and gain the rewards, if not then the penalties start getting steeper--so it's often better to just back out if you can. Of course by now it has shown you some of those requirements. However, I don't even know if there is a good outcome for some encounters like dealing with space spiders.

The Long Range Scanners are really good to keep you out of asteroid fields and solar flares, weapon preloaders are good, weapon rechargers are better. If you can get a boarding crew and successfully take out ship's crew you'll get massive rewards. My only complaint is how long it takes to unlock new ships to allow you to experiment around instead of being stuck in the Kestrel.

Karoz on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Play on easy and abuse the pause button. If you can turn off the additional content I'd probably recommend that as well. While it's awesome, I do think it made the game harder.

It's more the perma-death. There's only a few games that I like it in, and in this, it feels like I'm reading a choose your own adventure story, and with those, I'd just hop back to the previous page if I hit a dead end and try another "path", where with FTL it feels like it doesn't just want me to start back at the beginning of the story, it wants to tear out a few pages, then burn the book, rewrite the story, and force me to do this over and over until I choose the arbitrary combination of things that will get me to "the end".

Still, on Easy the first time, I got through to Sector 5? I totally abused the pause button.

Fair enough, but that is actually a good mentality to have because a lot of the non-combat encounters are just like that. They'll set up an encounter and if you have the requisites you'll succeed the challenge and gain the rewards, if not then the penalties start getting steeper. Of course by now it has shown you some of those requirements. However, I don't even know if there is a good outcome for some encounters like dealing with space spiders.

The Long Range Scanners are really good to keep you out of asteroid fields and solar flares, weapon preloaders are good, weapon rechargers are better. If you can get a boarding crew and successfully take out ship's crew you'll get massive rewards. My only complaint is how long it takes to unlock new ships to allow you to experiment around instead of being stuck in the Kestrel.

My initial forays have strictly been trying to GTFO ASAP, avoiding any fight I don't need to fight. It seems to get me nowhere, but I'm risk-averse, and I'm really not actually seeing any patterns emerging.

Also, I don't seem to get any equipment I can use and scrap seems very rare.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Fair enough, but that is actually a good mentality to have because a lot of the non-combat encounters are just like that. They'll set up an encounter and if you have the requisites you'll succeed the challenge and gain the rewards, if not then the penalties start getting steeper. Of course by now it has shown you some of those requirements. However, I don't even know if there is a good outcome for some encounters like dealing with space spiders.

My initial forays have strictly been trying to GTFO ASAP, avoiding any fight I don't need to fight. It seems to get me nowhere, but I'm risk-averse, and I'm really not actually seeing any patterns emerging.

Your goal is to hit as many locations in each sector as possible. Getting out earlier than the turn before the rebels reach the exit point is just wasting potential rewards. Getting caught by the rebels is bad but generally not game-ending.

Garthor on
    Garthor wrote: »

Your goal is to hit as many locations in each sector as possible. Getting out earlier than the turn before the rebels reach the exit point is just wasting potential rewards. Getting caught by the rebels is bad but generally not game-ending.

That was not well communicated by the game. It more or less sounded like I was supposed to dash for the exit like my ass was on fire.

I think my other issue is hating the risk/rewards of rogue-likes. Usually it's heavily tilted in favor of breath-holding, anxious risk over reward.

Still, when I return home from today's venture I'll try it again.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Doom collection better in steam or gog?

Either way you're getting the WADs, so it doesn't matter. You're gonna wanna slap em in GZDOOM or something of that ilk either way.

This is true. Only picked up doom collection from sale and I've been playing through doom again in gzdoom all weekend and eyeing all the cool things I want to change doom into when I'm done.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Picked up hearts of Iron IV and Display Fusion. DF was good timing, my trial just ran out and nice to see it on sale.

edited November 2017
    Beat Slime Rancher! Or really got to the end of the story which is a good end point for me. Too many side activities will just make it feel like grinding.

Had a lot of fun, really cute and things that seem like annoyances are specificly designed to push you towards upgrades and SCIENCE!

Edit: Says I have 21 hours played and since I think I got it from a bundle I definitely got my money's worth.

Some pictures (unfortunately missing some because the screenshot function in the main menu does not save them to steam):
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024%3A576&composite-to=*,*%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C1024%3A576&composite-to=*,*%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Karoz on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That was not well communicated by the game. It more or less sounded like I was supposed to dash for the exit like my ass was on fire.

I think my other issue is hating the risk/rewards of rogue-likes. Usually it's heavily tilted in favor of breath-holding, anxious risk over reward.

Not immediately high tailing it out is something the game does not really point you to in the dialogue. Some of the ending challenges really caught me off guard that first time.

At least on easy, once you get your head around the combat the risk for most fights goes down dramatically. Some luck is involved though with what gear and crew members you pick up.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    @CorriganX just randomly gifted me Bionic Battle Mutants, Which I had not heard of before now but does look like it could be right in my wheelhouse!

Thanks duder

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Not immediately high tailing it out is something the game does not really point you to in the dialogue. Some of the ending challenges really caught me off guard that first time.

At least on easy, once you get your head around the combat the risk for most fights goes down dramatically. Some luck is involved though with what gear and crew members you pick up.

One other thing about FTL: the final encounter will kick the shit out of you the first few times.

Also, I'm someone who believes that "abusing the pause button" isn't possible in the game. They allow ample pausing for good reasons! :)

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Doom collection better in steam or gog?

Either way you're getting the WADs, so it doesn't matter. You're gonna wanna slap em in GZDOOM or something of that ilk either way.

GZDoom is great but I have to admit I still like playing it vanilla. It's just timeless.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It lives! The gift-a-pult rises again... along with a crapton of updates.

Anyways, let's see here... this has been sitting around a while, but it still looks good, so...

Thanks to @Mugsley for Fox Hime! I don't think I'll get the two free games any more for playing this one, but more of these are always nice to have. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    @CorriganX just randomly gifted me Bionic Battle Mutants, Which I had not heard of before now but does look like it could be right in my wheelhouse!

Thanks duder

@Viking knows what he has done. Nothing random about a retaliatory strike. >:(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...and with a quick shot, we're back off to the races.

efao4ckplhar.png

Apparently @Pixelated Pixie knows the good cat games. Thanks for Explottens! The cat in the logo even looks like Seeker.

Did I mention the reprisal may be on its way?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    SteevL wrote: »

One other thing about FTL: the final encounter will kick the shit out of you the first few times.

Also, I'm someone who believes that "abusing the pause button" isn't possible in the game. They allow ample pausing for good reasons! :)

If only I didn't have to work through 1-3 hours of gameplay just to get back to the final challenge?

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

signature.png

Anyway, looks interesting. Not many reviews (although lots of references to Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics from the few there are), and only a couple friends have it wishlisted.

One of the original people who worked on this game (though I don't think she was still there when it was finished) is the person who first brought it to my attention. She's now working with NASA and the new Australian Space Agency making space sim VR games that look amazing.

https://youtu.be/Xy2NMSXxuHE

Her name is Jennifer Scheurle and I've found her to be a very interesting person to follow on Twitter.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    As an engineer who works with multiple female engineers, the world needs more female engineers.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...and with a quick shot, we're back off to the races.

Apparently @Pixelated Pixie knows the good cat games. Thanks for Explottens! The cat in the logo even looks like Seeker.

Did I mention the reprisal may be on its way?

Reprisal? You can't retaliate against someone who is retaliating against you! You started this! You did this first:

Krg0QlJ.png

Thanks @JaysonFour for some shenanigans of the feline sort! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?

signature.png

One of the original people who worked on this game (though I don't think she was still there when it was finished) is the person who first brought it to my attention. She's now working with NASA and the new Australian Space Agency making space sim VR games that look amazing.

Her name is Jennifer Scheurle and I've found her to be a very interesting person to follow on Twitter.

That's awesome!

It also reminds me of that awesome opening shot from Gravity.

signature.png

Oh yeah! She's the person that asked game devs on twitter to reveal their dirty game dev secrets and got a bunch of great responses.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    She actually just had a solo talk about that approved for GDC

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider. It looks and plays great and I'm having fun watching Lara kill enemies in all sorts of ways. But mostly with her bow and arrow.

One nitpick, and maybe this gets answered later: you come across a group of people living in seclusion for centuries.

They all speak fluent English, and most of them with American accents.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider. It looks and plays great and I'm having fun watching Lara kill enemies in all sorts of ways. But mostly with her bow and arrow.

One nitpick, and maybe this gets answered later: you come across a group of people living in seclusion for centuries.

So I finally got around to finalizing my Steam Awards:
    Suspension of Disbelief - Rise of the Tomb Raider. So many ludicrous moments. But you just go with them because somehow they just work. This could have applied to either new Tomb Raider, but I picked the more recent.

>.>

<.<

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?

Suspension of Disbelief - Rise of the Tomb Raider. So many ludicrous moments. But you just go with them because somehow they just work. This could have applied to either new Tomb Raider, but I picked the more recent.

>.>

<.<

...I've only been skimming everyone's Steam Awards stuff. Heh.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Look. Lara is able to fund going on another adventure which suggests she some how got more grant funding after totally wrecking the last archaeological site. While it can be fun to imagine what peer review is like in the setting, you're really not supposed to think about this stuff much.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Alien Rage: Unlimited:
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Double Dragon Neon:
    Loading...?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

>.>

<.<

...I've only been skimming everyone's Steam Awards stuff. Heh.
    Madican wrote: »
    I look forward to learning that the masses are wrong again this year.

I don't even know how I'm going to complete the nominations just for the badge. I already know I'm wrong.

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

I've still only beat the boss once.

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Boarding parties and/or prodigious is of fire during phase 1 is the best way to handle the final boss.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Played some Witcher 2 using my steamlink tonight.

I had completely forgotten the map and way point in this game sucks.

And why doesn't the Signs menu during combat describe their abilities. Would be really helpful to know that the Quen sign was a barrier.

Also for some reason I was getting really motion sick.

This is so weird

I've tried picking up Witcher 2 three or four times and I get motion sick within an hour or two. I beat the first one and have put 80 hours into 3.

No other game I've played in my life has made me motion sick. Just Witcher 2.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Bought Crusader No Regret on GOG, murdered many times, murdered many more.

Cannot use offensive weapons, still glad I bought it.

Uninstalling.

The original Crusader was one of those games in my long long ago. I was kinda dating a girl with great big brown eyes and brown hair, and I was young enough that that meant something. We parted for reasons primarily geographic, and that sucked. And that parting was my actual introduction to the game, where they were a little bit suspicious of the dark haired woman who looked too good to be true, but my love was true. And still we tried to work things out (obviously the game was a wonderful stand in).

Spoiler: it didn't work out.

However, Crusader was, and forever will be, a beautiful example of how emotional involvement in games can happen.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Boarding parties and/or prodigious is of fire during phase 1 is the best way to handle the final boss.

If you go this route: do not kill the entire crew.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

And why doesn't the Signs menu during combat describe their abilities. Would be really helpful to know that the Quen sign was a barrier.

This is so weird

I've tried picking up Witcher 2 three or four times and I get motion sick within an hour or two. I beat the first one and have put 80 hours into 3.

Turned off motion blur? That's usually the worst offender. (and should be off anyway since motion blur is plague)

• Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

This is so weird

Turned off motion blur? That's usually the worst offender. (and should be off anyway since motion blur is plague)

I also tend to get motion sick in some games. Yeah, turn off motion blur for sure. also, try sitting further away from the monitor, that seems to help me.

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Double Dragon Neon:
    Loading...?

Double Dragon was a lot of fun back in the day and I've always been a bit curious about this new modern version so I grabbed this one. Thank you very much @Werewolf2000ad <3

camo_sig2.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    @mildlymorbid is a master of class. I was playing some Jackbox with a friend on his stream, and I invited a few of the PAGT chat folks to watch and join in. After hours of playing, I poked back into chat to say something simple like "Oh I should get this for myself, its pretty great" and he IMMEDIATELY springs into action, gifting me a copy of Jackbox Party Pack 4.

Thank you so much mang, I can't wait to stream some of it and have a blast. <3

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.