As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thank[Steam] Thread: Autumn Sale until November 28th!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    There's a nice new Bundlestar Bundle available:

$1:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
    Shadowrun Returns
    Shoppe Keep
    Eon Altar

$4.99:
    Planetary Annihilation: TITANS
    Styx: Master of Shadows
    Tropico 5
    Slain: Back from Hell
    Blood: One Unit Whole Blood
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    SpellForce 2 – Anniversary Edition
    Phantaruk
    FaceRig

$9.99
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    FaceRig Pro Upgrade (DLC)

\m/ Slain! \m/

(I still need to beat Slain. Stuck on a boss that is basically a Beholder. I suck.)

edit: added in the quoted post above for context so I don't look like a complete idiot, just a partial one.

SteevL on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Hey there Steam thread. I know it's still in the thread OP but is anyone still doing Friday Night Gaming? I've been thinking I need to get back into my PC more and for the first time in a few years (since my stupid neighbors cut my cable trying to get TV in their bathroom) my internet is pretty stable.

If not, anyone up for something this Friday or next Friday?

We did have a Brink and Meadow FNG but not much has been happening. Unless you set up a date kind of ahead of schedule for a game everyone has/is dirt cheap it can be a major barrier of entry.

I know announcing things Thursday morning did not favors but that was in part trying to see if anything had a free weekend.

Still, if it's a game I have my Fridays are relatively free and I'd be happy to join.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Cool - maybe I'll try to pull something together for next week then. I haven't bought a steam game for months and months so anything I have to play is probably cheap by now anyways.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    That's a solid bundle. Ten bucks for the Stalker series alone is a goddamned steal.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The STALKER series is the only part of that bundle that interests me. Anyone wanna go halvesies?

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Another solid FNG idea is to just bring up any game or perhaps a few you'd like to play that have multiplayer, if the original FNG of Tomb Raider multiplayer is any indication, it doesn't even have to be well done and it can still be a lot of fun for folks! If you bring it up and people have it, they can voice their interest and maybe reignite things a bit for those interested in some scheduled multi fun times.

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Ended up pulling the trigger on Xanadu Next over at the Humble Store since it was on sale. When will I play it? I don't know! Hopefully I like it better than Ys Seven.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also regarding FNGs, Steam occasionally has Free Weekends which usually run through Sunday at 1PM Pacific Time for some online multiplayer games, though I think they aren't announced until the Thursday beforehand so kind of short notice

Zavian on
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I've been playing a bit of Die Young, it's a little janky but looks like it could shape up into something pretty great, the devs are giving away the current version of the game for free. (It's still in early access)

Thanks @HiT BiT for posting about it yesterday, here is the link if anyone missed it.

https://www.indiegala.com/dieyoung#giveaway

Prey is really great and anyone who liked SS2 should play it, much closer a successor then bioshock was. I'm really looking forward to where they go from here with it.

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    After all the recommendations I've been trying Divinity OS2 through the magic of mooching (ie, friend bought it and I'm mooching off his library :P). It's pretty fun, but man, encounters feel kinda unfair. "All attacks cause some status" is an interesting thing, as is "armor blocks those statuses until it's gone", but when every enemy has three times your armor values it feels a tad asymmetrical here. Taking down the houndmaster required me to burn two of my four resurrection scrolls.

OK, this is silly. I'm trying to gift you a game and Steam says I can't because the price difference is too great. Where do you live, Australia?

Sadly, it looks like I can't gift you so you're off the hook. Therefore, the NEXT person to post after this one gets a free game.

DARE YOU POST COWARDS?!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I dare

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No Steam ID? Are you in G&T Adventure Team Chat? WHO ARE YOU McMOOGLE?!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Oh, didn't expect that to actually work. Now here I am without a witty response.

ID: No Stairway? Denied! Carbonyl

Really need to get around to changing that, punctuation and spaces in an ID? Super smart highschool me.

And I am not in G&T Adventure Team Chat and am starting to think that may be what you call your van. But I'm a man who likes to roll the dice, some vans are worth getting into.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    McMoogle huh? Sounds like a terrorist name to me...

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    No Steam ID? Are you in G&T Adventure Team Chat? WHO ARE YOU McMOOGLE?!

Clearly he's a poster specifically engineered to call your bluff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @McMoogle should post a link to his/her Steam profile.

For science.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    @McMoogle should post a link to his/her Steam profile.

For science.

Well let it never be said he won't do anything for science.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Carbonyl/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Regarding FNG I would like to play Payday 2 sometime. It was a free game a few months ago and Ive never played, and would be interested in playing an oopsie game with a bunch of goobers who also have never played. I also have no intention of learning before we play so that should maximize the hilarity.

I would also be interested in Don't Starve Together sometime.

I cant do super late nights so I would feel bad if I called it on a week and then couldn't make it.

• Options
    BLEED analysis underway...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    66usszf7zn9m.png

Hmm...:thinking:

One of these things is not like the other!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    66usszf7zn9m.png

I know, right. Black and white background? I mean, really!

• Options
    66usszf7zn9m.png

Yes. Only one of them is on your wishlist.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    delph wrote: »
    Hello Steam thread, I’m hoping you can help me with some advice please. In preparation of the sales usually held during the end of the year, I’m looking for some recommendations of a driving game and a strategy game.

For driving, I’m thinking about getting a Steam Controller to use the built-in gyros as a steering wheel. I’m looking for a game involving cars, rather than motorbikes, more races that are from point A to point B rather than laps around tracks, and ideally offer driver-point-of-view. I’d like gorgeous scenery ideally capable of running in 4K. Some possibilities I’ve glanced at are: GRID 2, GRID Autosport, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, and Forza Horizon 3/Motorsport 7. I’m open to other suggestions as well, including outside Steam.

For strategy, I’m looking for something similar to Lords of the Realm from the 90s, but better graphics and more modernized gameplay. Turn-based is ideal and I liked the seasonal aspects of Lords, planting crops, distributing the workforce, and trading with traveling merchants, while moving armies around to take over the world. For the setting, I would prefer historical, futuristic, and fantasy, in that order. Some possibilities I’ve glanced at are: Northgard (early access), Age of Empires I/II/III, Endless Space 2, Oriental Empires, and the Total War series.

Any advice is appreciated and I hope I'm not asking for something that doesn't exist.

For racing games, The Crew might also be to your tastes. It's very open world/urban driving a la Forza Horizon, if a bit shorter than Horizon.

Also keep in mind that if you do the Forza 7/Horizon 3 route, they're almost certainly only going to be available through the Windows store, will only run on Windows 10 64bit, and probably won't work well with a Steam Controller. Not necessarily a knock on those games (because I love them) but something to keep in mind.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    delph wrote: »
    Hello Steam thread, I’m hoping you can help me with some advice please. In preparation of the sales usually held during the end of the year, I’m looking for some recommendations of a driving game and a strategy game.

For driving, I’m thinking about getting a Steam Controller to use the built-in gyros as a steering wheel. I’m looking for a game involving cars, rather than motorbikes, more races that are from point A to point B rather than laps around tracks, and ideally offer driver-point-of-view. I’d like gorgeous scenery ideally capable of running in 4K. Some possibilities I’ve glanced at are: GRID 2, GRID Autosport, Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, and Forza Horizon 3/Motorsport 7. I’m open to other suggestions as well, including outside Steam.

For strategy, I’m looking for something similar to Lords of the Realm from the 90s, but better graphics and more modernized gameplay. Turn-based is ideal and I liked the seasonal aspects of Lords, planting crops, distributing the workforce, and trading with traveling merchants, while moving armies around to take over the world. For the setting, I would prefer historical, futuristic, and fantasy, in that order. Some possibilities I’ve glanced at are: Northgard (early access), Age of Empires I/II/III, Endless Space 2, Oriental Empires, and the Total War series.

Any advice is appreciated and I hope I'm not asking for something that doesn't exist.

For racing games, The Crew might also be to your tastes. It's very open world/urban driving a la Forza Horizon, if a bit shorter than Horizon.

Also keep in mind that if you do the Forza 7/Horizon 3 route, they're almost certainly only going to be available through the Windows store, will only run on Windows 10 64bit, and probably won't work well with a Steam Controller. Not necessarily a knock on those games (because I love them) but something to keep in mind.

The crew is absolutely fantastic as it is point to point racing, mostly. It also has one of the best cockpit views of any driving game out there. I am pissed I'll be missing out on the sequel.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed the Crew's gameplay and everything, what I REALLY FUCKING HATED was that the 2nd or 3rd tutorial mission you get is actually an ad for their DLC mission types, with no fucking message or anything letting you know. So you're like 'okay, learning to drive, learning to drive, want me to buy fucking dlc what'

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the Crew's gameplay and everything, what I REALLY FUCKING HATED was that the 2nd or 3rd tutorial mission you get is actually an ad for their DLC mission types, with no fucking message or anything letting you know. So you're like 'okay, learning to drive, learning to drive, want me to buy fucking dlc what'

And you know what? I fucking bought it. Twice. On psn and steam. Yeah, I'm that asshole.
    I actually got it on the PS4 first but then the PC was fixed and I started playing it there. Saw the DLC on sale and bought it again. Totally worth it.

Edit: or not? The fuck, I swear I bought it on steam. This is the reverse "I should buy this game!" And finding out it's already in your library. Boo.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I looked up the end of DLC on youtube because the boss was not fun, or my PC could not run it.

Great game, whoever gift'd it to me.

I cannot find who, though.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Just throwing in a vote that Dirt Rally might scratch that itch a bit, @delph. Point-to-point rallying is the meat and potatoes of the game, but it has rallycross circuits too.

• Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    In regard to the thread title, I have an Xbone controller coming in the mail, which will be my first PC gaming controller since the old Microsoft Sidewinder days. And I'm pretty excited about it.

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    Got my Xbox One controller this afternoon. I gave it a test spin with Sonic CD and man, what a difference it makes over my old 360 pad. I'd gotten used to the 360 controller's awful D-pad, so it's weird to have a good one again after all these years.

• Options
    I'm still using a 360 wireless controller (one of the ones with the "rotating" upgraded D-pad I've waffled about before) for PC gaming... despite also these days owning an Xbox One. But I am mulling over getting a newer model Xbone controller with Bluetooth for primarily PC use; especially now PC games are finally starting to support the very cool rumble triggers.

The controller question is posed in the thread title; but I'm kind of surprised it's not a poll!

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I Primarily use KBAM but the 360 controllers are just so good.
    I do have a steam controller as well but it's a niche controller with specific use cases I found.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I have a wired 360 controller that Ive had almost for as long as Ive had a steam account. Ive been having problems with it screwing up directions on the stick so I plan to upgrade to an xbox one when I can get the chance.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    PSA: If you are using the Steam Inventory Helper addon DO NOT UPDATE IT AND DON'T GIVE IT ANY NEW PERMISSIONS!

Looks like it now asks to read and change your data on all sites (instead of just steam) and monitors a lot of stuff that it really shouldn't. Not sure if any of it is 100% confirmed but there are way too many red flags.
    You can read more about it here. https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/70xofs/warning_trusted_steam_inventory_helper_now/

I know a lot of you use this addon as a way to quickly dump cards on the market but I would disable it for now at least, until this is cleared.
    Bottom line is: they are monitoring what sites you visit and may be sending a lot of your online activity to their own server. I couldn't figure out when they do it, yet, but it seems to be for promotional stuff. More importantly, in the future, even if what they do now is legit, you will not be informed about any changes to their permissions, because it basically already has every permission it can get in that regard. Therefore I strongly suggest uninstalling and reporting this extension.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Is that the same thing as http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ ?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Is that the same thing as http://www.enhancedsteam.com/ ?

No, that's a different addon, should be safe for now and the author is a fairly well known member of the community.
    Steam Inventory Helper is the addon that people use to auto list a bunch of cards on the market at once.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Another game knocked off the backlog! Splinter Cell: Blacklist finished! Man, I don't know why i didn't play that sooner, but i loved the stealth gameplay. The only parts I didn't like were the parts where you are playing someone else, and when they take away all your toys. Just let me have my stealth sandbox damnit. Anyway, I still loved the game overall. Thanks again to @BigDes for the gift. Sorry it took me a while to get to it, but I really enjoyed it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Out of batteries for my steam controller, searching house.

• Options
    Talus9952 wrote: »
    Another game knocked off the backlog! Splinter Cell: Blacklist finished! Man, I don't know why i didn't play that sooner, but i loved the stealth gameplay. The only parts I didn't like were the parts where you are playing someone else, and when they take away all your toys. Just let me have my stealth sandbox damnit. Anyway, I still loved the game overall. Thanks again to @ BigDes for the gift. Sorry it took me a while to get to it, but I really enjoyed it!

Such a great game, always good to see someone else digging it!

I really hope we see a new Splinter Cell at some point after how good Blacklist was. But I think it sold about twelve copies, so it is definitely "hope" rather than "expect".

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    PSA: If you are using the Steam Inventory Helper addon DO NOT UPDATE IT AND DON'T GIVE IT ANY NEW PERMISSIONS!

Looks like it now asks to read and change your data on all sites (instead of just steam) and monitors a lot of stuff that it really shouldn't. Not sure if any of it is 100% confirmed but there are way too many red flags.
    You can read more about it here. https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/70xofs/warning_trusted_steam_inventory_helper_now/

I know a lot of you use this addon as a way to quickly dump cards on the market but I would disable it for now at least, until this is cleared.
    Bottom line is: they are monitoring what sites you visit and may be sending a lot of your online activity to their own server. I couldn't figure out when they do it, yet, but it seems to be for promotional stuff. More importantly, in the future, even if what they do now is legit, you will not be informed about any changes to their permissions, because it basically already has every permission it can get in that regard. Therefore I strongly suggest uninstalling and reporting this extension.

Thanks for the heads up @Sumanai. I let it update earlier today but I have just removed it to be safe.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman