As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dropping Science

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Congratulations. You have just successfully stated what I did.

FWIW, I was responding to TUBE who stated that evolution only changes species and does not modify existing species.

Unless that's not what he meant, in which case I totally apologize for misunderstanding what he said.

P.S. How the heck do you quote people on this site?

He definitely didn't say that. Not sure how you got that. He was saying that you can believe in the smaller scale existing but not that over time it would go further is what seems to not make much sense.

I can see why he read it like that, I edited for clarity. I think you're coming from it as someone who knows me so subconsciously gave me the benefit of the doubt.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

FWIW, I was responding to TUBE who stated that evolution only changes species and does not modify existing species.

Unless that's not what he meant, in which case I totally apologize for misunderstanding what he said.

Maybe try clicking the little button saying "Quote"?

Also, Tube did not say that.

To use the quote function you need to click through to our full forums and post there, or write the bbcode in yourself.

Translucia wrote: »
    The issue with science class is that they leave out where ideas come from. They don't teach Tesla, who invented like everything and had his papers confiscated when he died. Newton died with mercury in his hair and maps of Solomon's Temple (a magician) on his desk. The double helix structure of DNA was discovered in a dream by Francis Crick of two snakes twirling around each other. Einstein discovered relativity when daydreaming about two beams of light racing each other. If you don't understand where ideas come from, you don't understand anything. You don't understand first premises: why and how? Nobody understands that. Energy is mysterious. We don't even know what the sun is. It could be a gigantic floating God for all we know, or it might as well be.

As far as evolution goes, you have to know that Tesla believed we got thoughts given to us from extra-dimensional beings, and Darwin's partner, Alfred Russel Wallace, who basically invented evolution and natural science with Darwin, changed his mind. Some people think our brains increased dramatically in size because we ate psychedelic mushrooms. But they don't teach that. You also need to understand that there's an agenda to keep people believing that the general population is human cattle, not special, and not magical. It's thought control, for reals, and it really, actually does exist. Thought control is happening every day. Just go read the news.

Google "the problems with evolution" and there's a lot of good information out there.

Wow, where to even begin. Okay, first of all, there's no "problem" with evolution, there are aspects of it that arent fully understood, but it fits together far better than any of the other nonsense people come up with. Second, just because a scientist is right about ONE thing doesnt mean that he's omnidisciplinary, or that he cant have oddball beliefs about something else. Your entire post basically comes off as a conspiracy theorist masturbatory fantasy about how the Illuminati is keeping everyone down. There's no need to keep people down because they're perfectly happy doing it to themselves! Case in point; not wanting to teach evolution in schools because it makes parents uncomfortable. The very concept of religion, conspiracy theories and magic is based entirerly on making yourself feel special, because the actual facts you're given point to an amoral, uncaring universe where your existance is arbitrary and will pass unnoticed. Tough shit.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The double helix structure of DNA was discovered in a dream by Francis Crick of two snakes twirling around each other.

This is wrong. Crick's hypothesis for the double-helix may have come to him in a dream, but the actual discovery and confirmation of the shape was through x-ray diffraction done by Rosalind Franklin.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

He definitely didn't say that. Not sure how you got that. He was saying that you can believe in the smaller scale existing but not that over time it would go further is what seems to not make much sense.

I can see why he read it like that, I edited for clarity. I think you're coming from it as someone who knows me so subconsciously gave me the benefit of the doubt.

That is entirely possible.

I have many badgers.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    Sadgasm--the actual fact is that every choice you make changes the history of reality forever, so you are very important.

Marathon--Maybe they tested it, but his intuition started in a dream.

TOFY--that video didn't really satisfy my lack of understanding the sun. We assign human words (mouth noises, marks on a page) from the English language and then think we understand it. Plasma? Okay. They can understand the chemistry of a thing and work with it, but what does that really say about the creative energy that causes the thing. Creative energy doesn't just exist in people, you know. It's a phenomenon of the universe. If you believe in superdeterminism or something, then I guess it's not a problem for you. I don't think the world is meaningless, and I think the imagination is more mysterious than you can imagine...

The phrase "conspiracy theory" was invented by the people who do the conspiring. Go look up MK Ultra?? Maybe I'm wasting my time.

You are absolutely wasting your time, please go somewhere else.

The phrase "conspiracy theory" was invented by the people who do the conspiring. Go look up MK Ultra?? Maybe I'm wasting my time.

Using a decommissioned, illegal CIA operation from the 1960's as proof that conspiracy theories are legitimate? Yes, it's a waste of time. Conspiracies happen, but they're not that ridiculous Legion Of Doom nonsense Truthers and their ilk belive in. They're clumsy, ineffective operations that almost always fail because it's impossible to keep things secret for long with that many moving parts.

He, maybe, had a dream related to work he had spent years of his life working on. Big whoop.

It also doesn't matter where his idea came from. He could have thought it up on the toilet, the origination of the idea is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters, and where the science actually begins, is when actual scientists design experiments to test a hypothesis to either support a hypothesis or prove it wrong.

There's no maybe about it. The double helix structure was wasn't much more than a good idea until experimentation confirmed it.

"the origination of the idea is irrelevant"--that's not really true at all. The origination of the idea is really important, at least to me and other people...

Sadgasm--Conspiracy theories turn out to be true all the time. The reason MK Ultra is relevant is because, guess what, that kind of stuff is still going on.

Tube--You are a magical being and not a monkey. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable. You have a wonderful mind capable of the greatest achievements. Sit and feel. Turn off the computer. You will start to understand your true nature.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sadgasm--the actual fact is that every choice you make changes the history of reality forever, so you are very important.

TOFY--that video didn't really satisfy my lack of understanding the sun. We assign human words (mouth noises, marks on a page) from the English language and then think we understand it. Plasma? Okay. They can understand the chemistry of a thing and work with it, but what does that really say about the creative energy that causes the thing. Creative energy doesn't just exist in people, you know. It's a phenomenon of the universe. If you believe in superdeterminism or something, then I guess it's not a problem for you. I don't think the world is meaningless, and I think the imagination is more mysterious than you can imagine...

bruh I have also gotten really high and thought about things, but what you want to do is write that down in a notebook and then go back and read it when you're less stoned.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    WAKE UP SHEEPLE, THE SUN MIGHT BE A GOD FOR ALL YOU KNOW

edited September 2017
    "the origination of the idea is irrelevant"--that's not really true at all. The origination of the idea is really important, at least to me and other people...
    That is super duper...
    But to the scientific method, it's irrelevant.
    Tube--You are a magical being and not a monkey. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable. You have a wonderful mind capable of the greatest achievements. Sit and feel. Turn off the computer. You will start to understand your true nature.

You're right, Tube isn't a monkey. Humans share a common ancestor with apes.

Marathon on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    WAKE UP SHEEPLE, THE SUN MIGHT BE A GOD FOR ALL YOU KNOW

The proof is right in front of your eyes, in messages hidden in video games played by millions

the_sun_must_be_praised_by_inurbanissimus-d6laz2o.jpg

This is a website for video games inn't?

edited September 2017
    The Sun literally could be a god. The old religions believed in forest gods and river gods and star gods and animal gods. Energies. Alan Moore, the writer who made Watchman, worships an old roman God or something. When Caesar converted Rome to Christianity and the Dark Ages came afterward, the old gods were all called demons. But some people think the fact that we actually have ideas about them at all means they must be true. The universe is vast. To think you understand God, the stars, and man is hubris, including epistemology and the nature of ideas. All I'm saying is it's all mysterious and that's not what they teach you.

Science is alchemy without the spiritual component.

Translucia on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Darwin's partner, Alfred Russel Wallace, who basically invented evolution and natural science with Darwin, changed his mind.

All 3 clauses in this sentence are incorrect. They weren't "partners", although they did correspond; they arrived at evolutionary theories (ie: conceptual frameworks about why species evolve) seperately, but neither Darwin nor Wallace "invented" evolution; the idea long predated them both. And Wallace didn't "change his mind" about evolution, although he did add in some rather... original elements of his belief in spirituality to his conception of the mechanisms of evolution when he was very old.

I suggest you google better sources.

Evolution can be reductively defined as "A change in allele frequency within a population over time". It observably, definitely happens. The scientific method doesn't deal in absolute proofs, but the fact of evolution - including "species" giving rise to new species - has acquired such a mountain of evidence in support, and such an absence of evidence against, that it's either true or we live in a simulated universe which was created to make us think that it's true (as poor Philip Henry Gosse tried to argue was the case back in the 1800s), a hypothesis which isn't even wrong - it's just useless.

All we can really about argue with regard to evolution is exactly what happened, when and precisely why (eg: was a specific change caused by predator pressure, sexual selection, environmental change, etc).

You don't have to "believe" in it though. It will have happened and will keep happening anyway.

V1m on

This is complete bullshit.
    Science is a rigorous methodology to better understand the world around us.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The Sun literally could be a god. The old religions believed in forest gods and river gods and star gods and animal gods. Energies. Alan Moore, the writer who made Watchman, worships an old roman God or something. When Caesar converted Rome to Christianity and the Dark Ages came afterward, the old gods were all called demons. But some people think the fact that we actually have ideas about them at all means they must be true. The universe is vast. To think you understand God, the stars, and man is hubris, including epistemology and the nature of ideas. All I'm saying is it's all mysterious and that's not what they teach you.

To assist you in discussing these topics with other forumers, I have helpfully bolded your true statements and used strikethrough on anything irrelevant or incorrect.

Marathon wrote: »

This is complete bullshit.
    Science is a rigorous methodology to better understand the world around us.

Guys, I'm sure some random college dropout understands the world better than literally the accumulated sum of human knowledge.

edited September 2017
    Here's some evidence against Evolution: http://www.discovery.org/a/24041

I'm not totally against evolution, but it doesn't really explain why our brains more than doubled inn size or something in relatively a very short amount of time, unless they're just totally wrong and the theory is incomplete. Which is what I suspect. The primordial soup thing just doesn't make sense to me and a lot of other people.

What evolution doesn't explain and what Alfred Russell Wallace had issues with is the creative force of the human mind. The throwing arm caused it all? It caused Beethoven and Shakespeare and Sylvia Plath to write what they wrote? I don't know. It doesn't ring true to me. My problem, and a lot of other people's problem, with evolution is that it doesn't stop at "animals can adapt," and seems to want to explain the "origin of the species" while leaving out crucial elements like the imagination, dreams, intuition, the idea of god, things we have had in our lexicon for ages.

Translucia on
    The Discovery Institute? You have got to be fucking kidding

It doesn't make sense to you because you don't understand it. Instead of assuming that the answer is for you to learn more, you assume that there's something wrong with the theory. It's easier to deal in ridiculous woo woo bullshit than learn actual, hard science.

I find it real telling that the people who talk about 'energies' don't actually know what energy is.

Hey, crystals are totally mysterious too and you can't explain them either. lol. There is a new idea out that they are involved in creating water in the mantle of the earth: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2119475-planet-earth-makes-its-own-water-from-scratch-deep-in-the-mantle/

That's right. Water. The thing that gives life. Some people think crystals are the origin of life, not evolution. I wouldn't knock crystal healing. But I also wouldn't get a vaccine.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Sadgasm--Conspiracy theories turn out to be true all the time. The reason MK Ultra is relevant is because, guess what, that kind of stuff is still going on.

Are you implying monkies aren't magical creatures capable of the greatest achievements?

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2017
    NIGHTSLY--Nobody understands what energy is....

Tube--Maybe I don't understand it, but shouldn't truths be easy to understand and relate? I have a feeling you don't really understand it either.

Marathon--I don't even know what it is. I just skimmed it. Try looking at the ideas and not having prejudice about the source.

Translucia on
    How many joules does the average spirit have, anyway?

A joule is a unit of measurement that's totally a human idea. But to answer your question: a spirit has 69 joules.

Tube--Maybe I don't understand it, but shouldn't truths be easy to understand and relate?

...no. What on earth gave you that idea? That kind of thinking leads to "maybe magical crystals are responsible for life or whatever". It's complete bullshit with no basis in fact but hell, it's damn easy to understand.

A joule is a unit of measurement that's totally a human idea. But to answer your question: a spirit has 69 joules.

Show your work.

Marathon--I don't even know what it is. I just skimmed it.

No shit? This happens a lot right? You're a big skim reader?

I have read like 300+ books. I have a degree in it. Anyway, fact is, you can't explain it elegantly and concisely. That's what I mean. And yes, truths should be elegant and concise and make sense intuitively. What gave me that idea? Exactly... exactly.. What indeed? What gave you your ideas? Objective reality, you say. Well, tell me, objectively, why you are alive. Because of evolution? I don't know, man.

NIGHTSLYR--Well, I was making a joke, so I can't. Good try, though. Repeatable equations show evidence of repeatable phenomenon, but I'm talking about creative energy.

Marathon--I don't even know what it is. I just skimmed it. Try looking at the ideas and not having prejudice about the source.

No, the Discovery Institute is an anti-evolution organization that specifically works to discredit evolution because it is trying to advance a biblical, creationist, view of the origin of life on earth. And they present arguments that have been disproven many times, and they refuse to make corrections.
    So, you're asking me to just uncritically look into the ideas they present...while completely ignoring the fact that they have a very obvious motivation and bias to the information they are trying to present.

No, fuck that.

I have read like 300+ books. I have a degree in it. Anyway, fact is, you can't explain it elegantly and concisely. That's what I mean. And yes, truths should be elegant and concise and make sense intuitively. What gave me that idea? Exactly... exactly.. What indeed? What gave you your ideas? Objective reality, you say. Well, tell me, objectively, why you are alive. Because of evolution? I don't know, man.

NIGHTSLYR--Well, I was making a joke, so I can't. Good try, though. Repeatable equations show evidence of repeatable phenomenon, but I'm talking about creative energy.

A degree in what, and from where?

Tube--Maybe the difference between you and I is that I've learned enough to know how mysterious it all is.

A degree in reading books apparently.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Crystals are used for lightsabers and lightsabers only; I should know, I've built enough of them.