As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Wow. Episode 5 and 6 were great too.

I'm now really feeling the McFarlaneTrek vibe

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Can't beliave that I forgot that Penny Johnson was on DS9 as Kasidy Yates...

I love that Robert Picardo is Alara's father, and it was made so much better when John Billingsley (Phlox) showed up as his neighbor.

Regarding the shuttle bay location, it makes sense to me, in that you would want it along the ship's axis of motion, and on the side with the least swing from pitch and yaw. If you are trying to land in combat, it would be much easier to do that then try to come in perpendicular or in an area that shifts more drastically as the ship maneuvers. Also, the Union might consider damaging one of the Archean preferable to slamming into a more heavily occupied area.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that when you’re in space, it’s all in the same relative frame of motion. So as far as the shuttle taking off goes, the ship is remaining perfectly still relative to the shuttle, as long as the ship isn’t accelerating.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Keep in mind that when you’re in space, it’s all in the same relative frame of motion. So as far as the shuttle taking off goes, the ship is remaining perfectly still relative to the shuttle, as long as the ship isn’t accelerating.

Docking is where there would be a problem.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

That's true in the real world, with Newtonian physics, but I'm pretty sure the Orvill drive tech (and most other sci-fi, The Expanse excepted), fudge the hell out of it.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

And the shuttle is about the size of a Uhaul the engines are literally miles apart there's tons of room

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

I'm sure whatever macguffin tech keeps the crew from laminating the walls during maneuvers would keep the shuttle at zero relative motion inside the hanger. The problem is when it is outside the ship, trying to aim for the bay doors.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    They have well trained pilots. I think landing on a moving ship in atmosphere with a helicopter or a jet on a carrier is way more difficult and is being done everyday. A shuttle can just match all movement to the shuttlebay and then slide in.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

you'll find that computers are quite good at doing this whole Quaternion rotation calculations even without the aid of tractor beams. Hell the Russians managed to dock manually with an out of control space station sniping on two axis.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. Docking while rotating would be a standard thing for pilots to learn.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

you'll find that computers are quite good at doing this whole Quaternion rotation calculations even without the aid of tractor beams. Hell the Russians managed to dock manually with an out of control space station sniping on two axis.

Technically, a rigid 3-dimensional object only ever has one axis of rotation. Anything that might appear like a spin on two or three (reference) axis is really just a spin around different, single axis. Even so, it's no small feat as a craft trying to dock to a tumbling ship still needs to follow a rather tricky 3-d path to do so.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mark Jackson (Isaac) had an ama in reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOrville/comments/an5udx/im_mark_jackson_and_i_play_ai_badass_isaac_on_the/

Apparently, this season will have some cool stuff about Isaac and the Kaylons in general, the actor can't talk about it though

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Handkor wrote: »
    They have well trained pilots. I think landing on a moving ship in atmosphere with a helicopter or a jet on a carrier is way more difficult and is being done everyday. A shuttle can just match all movement to the shuttlebay and then slide in.

You don't try to land on a carrier while it is trying to evade an attack, and aircraft are generally less vulnerable in the air than on the deck. If the Orville has to recover a shuttle during a fight, trying to slide into the bay is going to take more time. As you say, they have well trained pilots; they shouldn't have a problem avoiding those arches. The gaps between them are much larger than the shuttle bay, and it looks like the bay opens directly towards the gap between the 2nd and 3rd arch. Another advantage is that that whole area between the arches and the main hull should be covered by the Orville's deflectors. They only have to drop the shields long enough for the shuttle to get into that space. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to have the shuttle bay where it is;

- John Stuart Mill
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    just

wow

episode 6 of s2 was incredibly good. I genuinely am shocked how good this season is
    the scene on the bridge at the end, where everyone (well almost) is just smiling was truly wonderful. I love that a couple of the unnamed bridge crew and just happily continuing to do their work despite being drenched.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i know i'm probably late to the party but i think the root issue with the shuttle/engines is the engines design itself. Why is there a huge gap between the body of the ship and the engines? I think it looks goofy everytime i see it. I like the show and it keeps getting better but the Orville design compared to other races they've seen is kind of goofy.

edited February 2019

You don't try to land on a carrier while it is trying to evade an attack, and aircraft are generally less vulnerable in the air than on the deck. If the Orville has to recover a shuttle during a fight, trying to slide into the bay is going to take more time. As you say, they have well trained pilots; they shouldn't have a problem avoiding those arches. The gaps between them are much larger than the shuttle bay, and it looks like the bay opens directly towards the gap between the 2nd and 3rd arch. Another advantage is that that whole area between the arches and the main hull should be covered by the Orville's deflectors. They only have to drop the shields long enough for the shuttle to get into that space. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to have the shuttle bay where it is;

Just to be clear, this has happened before, on this show. In the first episode. And it didn't take more time. :)

"Mercer to Orville, we've lost navigational control, and we're about twelve seconds away from hitting you like a bug on a windshield."
    "Lieutenant, can you align the shuttle bay doors with their trajectory?"
    "Sir, even if I was the best helmsman in the galaxy, that's virtually impossible."
    "If you can *pause* 'hug the donkey', you can do this."

Now, granted, it was missing it's upper quantum drive at that point, but still, that's the equivalent of an aircraft carrier navigating UNDER an unresponsive aircraft.

I'm arguing relative physics minutia about a fictional sci-fi television show, on the internets, at literally 2:48am. I am such a nerd.

EDIT : Added more nerd.

MorganV on
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    just

wow

episode 6 of s2 was incredibly good. I genuinely am shocked how good this season is
    the scene on the bridge at the end, where everyone (well almost) is just smiling was truly wonderful. I love that a couple of the unnamed bridge crew and just happily continuing to do their work despite being drenched.
    I noticed those unnamed bridge crew as well, and it really sparked a desire for an Orville version of the TNG episode Lower Decks; the one where it's just about the lives of random low-ranking crewmen while the usual TNG goings-on occur.

MorganV wrote: »

Just to be clear, this has happened before, on this show. In the first episode. And it didn't take more time. :)

"Mercer to Orville, we've lost navigational control, and we're about twelve seconds away from hitting you like a bug on a windshield."
    "Lieutenant, can you align the shuttle bay doors with their trajectory?"
    "Sir, even if I was the best helmsman in the galaxy, that's virtually impossible."
    "If you can *pause* 'hug the donkey', you can do this."

But they didn't slide the ship into a shuttle bay on the side of the ship; they got in front of it and matched vector/velocity, which is exactly why you'd want the bay center-aft.

- John Stuart Mill
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    just

wow

I noticed those unnamed bridge crew as well, and it really sparked a desire for an Orville version of the TNG episode Lower Decks; the one where it's just about the lives of random low-ranking crewmen while the usual TNG goings-on occur.
    MacFarlane loves STTNG, it's only a matter of time.

jdarksun wrote: »
    just

wow

There's no doubt in my mind Mercers Parents were supposed to be Patrick Stewart and Gates McFadden but Paramount grabbed them for the Picard show and slapped a no compete in the contracts

jdarksun wrote: »
    just

wow

There's no doubt in my mind Mercers Parents were supposed to be Patrick Stewart and Gates McFadden but Paramount grabbed them for the Picard show and slapped a no compete in the contracts

I was actually kinda sad on the reveal of Billingsley that they didn't cast McFadden as either Alara's mother, or the wife of Billingsley (if she wanted a smaller non-recurring role, should Sage decide to return). Mulduar would probably have been too old for either role (though she's only 11 years Gate's senior), and according to IMDB hasn't acted in a quarter century. That'd only have left needing Alexander Siddig as the property caretaker, and it would have been the perfect nerd episode casting.

just

wow

in a complete reversal the lower deck officers are super professional Season 1 Picard types

Is there a janitor on the Orville? Babylon 5 episode.

edited February 2019
    That Tales from the Yawning Portal looks good. I already have Tomb of Horrors though.

Edit: Whoops. Wrong thread.

Krathoon on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    just

wow

in a complete reversal the lower deck officers are super professional Season 1 Picard types
    Getting super pissed because the senior staff are a bunch of slobs and they always have to clean up after them. Filing report after report about legitimate complaints (like the fact that Mercer didn't immediately stop the fucking rain on the bridge), only to lament about having them constantly fall on deaf ears. Dozens of scene transitions from "Oh you've gotta be fu-" to happy times in the mess hall.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    just

wow

Getting super pissed because the senior staff are a bunch of slobs and they always have to clean up after them. Filing report after report about legitimate complaints (like the fact that Mercer didn't immediately stop the fucking rain on the bridge), only to lament about having them constantly fall on deaf ears. Dozens of scene transitions from "Oh you've gotta be fu-" to happy times in the mess hall.

Read Redshirts by John Scalzi sometime. Its a fun take on a lot of Star Trek tropes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    [
    just

wow

the episode ends with disgruntled ensign yelling at an eccentric stranger that he'd rather have died than live this life of mediocrity and the both of them poof out of existence never to be seen again

I like the new security officer, she is more experienced.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    [
    just

wow

the episode ends with disgruntled ensign yelling at an eccentric stranger that he'd rather have died than live this life of mediocrity and the both of them poof out of existence never to be seen again

Quoted for excellence.

We still need some god-like alien episodes. STNG had the creepy one with the face looking at them in space.

Krathoon wrote: »
    We still need some god-like alien episodes. STNG had the creepy one with the face looking at them in space.

I wonder if they're avoiding that on purpose by introducing more advanced races who seem godlike in comparison

That or the crew will tank the test. Especially the one where you get super powers that you're not allowed to use.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    just

wow

Bonus points if
    they all transfer off the ship at the end of the episode and show back up as the senior staff of a top of the line battle cruiser, pulls the Orville's ass out of a fire, and the captain tells Mercer, "Well we were on our way to some kind of alien pee party when somebody remembered that we're all goddamn adults."

Hevach on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I don't know if this has been debated before, but one of claims of "Galaxy Quest" is that it's often ranked in the top 10 ten best Star Trek movies. It is sometimes seen as being technically a Star Trek, just not the Star Trek.
    Would you classify The Orville as being a Star Trek too?
    Did Star Trek become a genre? If so, does that mean that Discovery... well... Isn't a Star Trek?
    Also, are there any fan theories that actually put The Orville in the Star Trek universe?

halkun on
    It's not Star Trek. It's a homage like Galaxy Quest.
    Star Trek isn't a genre. As pointed out by a great Scholar they never even went to a star.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I still maintain that if/when Patrick Stewart cameos on Orville he needs to be the captain of the Union flagship, but instead of being like Picard, make him a MASSIVE douchebag, just total opposite of Picard, Constantly brags about his ship being bigger than the Orville, and harasses/trolls Mercer all the time. Have him make some remark about how he's sleeping with his ship's doctor and they show her and either she looks like Beverly/Gates McFadden, or is actually her (maybe with some whiny little son in the background)

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Heh, I just had a thought. Can you imagine the Orville is in a Union system somewhere where they are testing a new Stargate jump technology. Here is the Orville, ready to jump through it for the first time and something goes wrong. Power flux or something... Then *Kerpow* out pops a Federation starship and [Next Gen character] is the captain! He's demanding an answer to what they did to his ship.

BRB, writing fanfic now...

halkun on
    Patrick should just straight up play Bullock from American Dad. Mercer respects him but is aware he's probably insane

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    It's not Star Trek. It's a homage like Galaxy Quest.
    Star Trek isn't a genre. As pointed out by a great Scholar they never even went to a star.

Sure they did, they totally flew through the coronasphere of the Earth's sun in Star Trek IV, the one with the whales.

edited February 2019
    Patrick should just straight up play Bullock from American Dad. Mercer respects him but is aware he's probably insane

And if his sister wants a small role in person (she's the ship's computer voice), make Rachel McFarlane be Bullock's lover. And have her be Mercer's sister in universe too.

It's not quite Bullock/Hayley/Stan (cause that was creepy as fuck even for a McFarlane cartoon), but it's close enough.

MorganV on