As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Can't Bortus eat anything?

I have to imagine it at least needs nutritional value or hes just gonna feel full

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Can't Bortus eat anything?

I have to imagine it at least needs nutritional value or hes just gonna feel full

Well, the battle-ridden ship was suspiciously vacant of bodies, and I'll be you five bucks that Moclans consider anything killed in combat as "combat rations".

• Options
    You would have to handle the bodies or things are gonna get bad real fast. Odds are he just vaporized them

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nah, set some quarters to "deep freeze" and pile them in there, problem solved. The power demands for a walk-in freezer would be nothing compared to keeping the whole ship from getting crushed.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Given how much they keep playing up the Moclan physiology(esp the digestive system), I wouldn't even be surprised if they're like vultures and can just eat rotting meat and bone no problem if they wanted.

• Options
    Nah, set some quarters to "deep freeze" and pile them in there, problem solved. The power demands for a walk-in freezer would be nothing compared to keeping the whole ship from getting crushed.

Even if some things didn't happen the same hes still Bortus. He probably did the Moclan burial rites for every member he found . I dont think he'd ever succumb to eating a corpse even if he could. especially not of the subordinates he probably felt he failed

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. The vanishing part didn't make sense.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. The vanishing part didn't make sense.

It happened before way back in season 1. If you erase a timeline in Orville the changes remain but not the people or memories of the changr

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Has anyone found any in-depth articles about the relationship between this show, Star Trek, and fandom?

Maybe something like "Head-cannons and head-canons: The convergence of fanfiction and homage in The Orville"

• Options
    It is funny how the Kaylons walk. I guess I am spelling that right.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am finally watched the Orville finale. I really liked it. I actually like how they did the timelines. It was a nice change from a few other "time travel" heavy things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Orville was renewed for a third season.

The Orville Renewed for season 3

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The Orville Season 3 is a gd miracle. Perhaps they are banking on syndication and streaming rights making their money back?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I swear McFarlane knows where the CEOs bury the bodies at that studio.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Is it another mid-season start or are they getting a full season this time?

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Maybe the studio is just rolling with it long term? Didn't TNG tank at first too?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Maybe the studio is just rolling with it long term? Didn't TNG tank at first too?

Oh man, the very first TNG episode is so bad. I remember re-watching it in college and cringing the entire time.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Is it another mid-season start or are they getting a full season this time?

I hope it's these shorter seasons. I want as much Orville as I can get but the 22+ episode season most shows get tends to make for a lot of padding.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea I really enjoy 13 or so episode seasons, especially with writers who know how to make the most of them. Less filler and I have more time for good shows.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Just watched the season finale because my mom was in Italy for three weeks. They got Star Wars in my Star Trek!

Guest starring Alara! Yay!

Special appearance by Kelly's boobs. I get it's a dark timeline but geez come on with the wardrobe + camera framing.

Very glad it was renewed though. Maybe my favorite show currently?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea I really enjoy 13 or so episode seasons, especially with writers who know how to make the most of them. Less filler and I have more time for good shows.

The shorter seasons really do make it so much easier to have consistently good episodes without missing story or characters beats in lesser episodes due to bloat. I'd put the worst Orville episodes far, far above the worst TNG episodes as they're pretty much all at least watchable, if not enjoyable.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    So not only are we getting a third season but also this happend

Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes got married.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Does he know that she's not a hologram?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Damn, scooped her right up in front of the captain.
    Bold move helmsman.

Maybe some sketchy shuttle missions in your future.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Hooray for season 3. The future is looking good:

D7EFc61XkAIvAqK?format=jpg

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    amusing, but the that meme has run its course for me.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    At this point I associate it with Girlfriend Reviews and it takes me a bit to remember it used to be a meme that was everywhere.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Yeah, same. It just tickles me how accurately the pic does capture the state of Star Trek right now, yet at the same time, so tired of seeing that meme everywhere.

I think the only way it could have been better is that in addition to Alara, they add in a 2nd woman: Captain Sonya Alexander of the USS Ajax from Axanar. :winky:

• Options
    Did you see Seth cursing that he has to do another season on Twitter?

It was funny.

• Options

It was funny.

Oh he was making fun of another actors tweet. I get where he's coming from I doubt he thought he'd get a third season of what's basically a passion project

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

It was funny.

Oh he was making fun of another actors tweet. I get where he's coming from I doubt he thought he'd get a third season of what's basically a passion project

It's nice to see a passion project doing well! It's so good!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    You know, with so much media writing revolving around "subverting expectations", it's nice to see a passion project tell a story with sincerity, even if we can see the story beats coming. Not everything needs to subvert expectations. Sometimes sincerity matters too.

It's not always either or. But it's the rare author that can do both. George RR Martin's Game of Thrones versus D&D's Game of Thrones being a good case study.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    You know, with so much media writing revolving around "subverting expectations", it's nice to see a passion project tell a story with sincerity, even if we can see the story beats coming. Not everything needs to subvert expectations. Sometimes sincerity matters too.

It's not always either or. But it's the rare author that can do both. George RR Martin's Game of Thrones versus D&D's Game of Thrones being a good case study.

Or where 'subverting expectations' becomes a replacement for 'storytelling'.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Goddammit, Klyden photobombing the cover.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Thanks, I just noticed that and now it's ruined.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Thanks, I just noticed that and now it's ruined.

Happy to help.

• Options
    Klyden is the worst.

THE WO-OOOORRRSST

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I like Klyden mainly because it is that one guy from The Wire and this is so completely a different character he played on The Wire. You can't get more different.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I do like Klyden in the way I like Dukat or Wynn. He embodies an aspect of Mercer (in this case moral conviction), but twisted into something terrible.