As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    There is an alligator in the cargo bay

I have crushed it with a chair

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Picardo (together with Jeri Ryan) was who elevated voyager from "mediocre to shit" to "mediocre with seven and doctor episodes"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Doctor
    got very Lovecraftian.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    That was a genuinely great episode. The character work, comedy, and tension were all well done.

I'm not sure if I laughed harder at Bortus showing up at the holodeck, or LaMarr's whole thing about clowns.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The Doctor
    got very Lovecraftian.

They've done a really good job of building her up as the most competent crew member so when she starts acting odd you know shit is getting real

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That was a genuinely great episode. The character work, comedy, and tension were all well done.

I'm not sure if I laughed harder at Bortus showing up at the holodeck, or LaMarr's whole thing about clowns.

"Could you please stop saying the c-word?"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The Doctor
    got very Lovecraftian.
    There's a Seven Days ep, made at the same time he was on Voyager, where he's basically the Evil Leaper.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Holy fuck!!!
    Robert fucking Picardo???

Where does he get those guest stars?

Seth is a super likable dude with a ton of industry connections.

And a lot of former Trek actors are super awesome towards fans in general, and famous fans in particular. Picardo isn't exactly Takei or Frakes in that department, but he's still one of them. I imagine very little coercion was needed.
    Michael Dorn as Bortus' father please.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Holy fuck!!!
    Robert fucking Picardo???

Where does he get those guest stars?

Seth is a super likable dude with a ton of industry connections.

And a lot of former Trek actors are super awesome towards fans in general, and famous fans in particular. Picardo isn't exactly Takei or Frakes in that department, but he's still one of them. I imagine very little coercion was needed.
    Michael Dorn as Bortus' father please.

Avery Brooks as his other father.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    They should have shown Alara make the call and her dad answer, "What is the nature of the communication emergency?"

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That was a great episode. Alara is great.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    This episode made me realize
    I really want to see The Orville's answer to a Q episode.

This was a very well done episode, especially the Doctor's weird-craziness, but almost up until the reveal I kept thinking that we'd get some sort of chessmaster/reality-warper just fucking with the crew because they accidentally drove through his plasma storm.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

This was a very well done episode, especially the Doctor's weird-craziness, but almost up until the reveal I kept thinking that we'd get some sort of chessmaster/reality-warper just fucking with the crew because they accidentally drove through his plasma storm.
    I thought that until the alligator scene, when I realized we never saw any of the weird shit happening to other people, only Alara, when I thought she'd been knocked out in the explosion and everything since was a coma dream. I did call it being a simulation, and her putting herself in it to conquer her fear, but I don't remember exactly when, but it came from her not understanding why some of the stuff was supposed to be scary, to my thinking that meant they weren't her fears but just a collection of phobias, but the perspective still had me thinking the whole experience was unique to her.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    My wife and I started watching it tonight and got through two episodes. We like it so far. Even manages to catch that cringeyness of the Next Gen and Voyager at times. Fantastic.

after episode 3 there's a string of straight up TNG episodes basically

Discovery is good as it's own thing, but it's more like battlestar galactica most of the time. Orville is a return to trek form

Nah, Discovery is like DS9 Trek, Orville is like TNG and maybe TOS Trek. There are numerous flavors of Trek, not a single brand.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I completely lost my shit at
    Hobo clowns are the most dangerous because they're hungry

Like, that just legitimately had me laughing out loud.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    The point that I figured out
    it wasn't real was when Dr. Finn shot Nurse Park. The show has been fairly sparing with deaths in general, and, so far as I recall, this episode's opening had the first crew death so far. It's like an anti-Red Shirts, to the point where the death of Anonymous Engineer #7 was shown to be a major event for the crew as a whole, with significant impact. Park's death was such a throwaway that I just looked at it and thought, "Nope, that didn't really happen." And of course, Gordon getting eaten completely cinched it.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    The show needs to fix its editing a little bit though. There was more than a couple of frames that still had some letters in the corner from when they filmed that shot.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    it wasn't real was when Dr. Finn shot Nurse Park. The show has been fairly sparing with deaths in general, and, so far as I recall, this episode's opening had the first crew death so far. It's like an anti-Red Shirts, to the point where the death of Anonymous Engineer #7 was shown to be a major event for the crew as a whole, with significant impact. Park's death was such a throwaway that I just looked at it and thought, "Nope, that didn't really happen." And of course, Gordon getting eaten completely cinched it.

I actually really liked that about the show.
    A death on a ship would definitely be a big deal and I am glad that they're not pulling the "lol redshirts" card.

• Options
    The show needs to fix its editing a little bit though. There was more than a couple of frames that still had some letters in the corner from when they filmed that shot.
    Oh, no, those letters really were there. Isaac kind of kludged the simulation.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options

Yeah. I was really hoping they were going in that direction.
    A Lovcraftian Q.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

A death on a ship would definitely be a big deal and I am glad that they're not pulling the "lol redshirts" card.

Agreed, though if they get Wheaton or Scalzi to make a guest appearance, somebody better get eaten by a Longranian Ice Shark.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

Or green shirts in this case.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options

Agreed, though if they get Wheaton or Scalzi to make a guest appearance, somebody better get eaten by a Longranian Ice Shark.

So... Police Squad?
    https://youtu.be/d8aC3Dm7E8g

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;
    They have a Q like character ... played by Patrick Stewart.

• Options

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;
    Make it Wesley, having be a spoof on his whole The Traveler thing from TNG.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Most recent
    Alara wasn't with Bortus, and I don't think large reptiles was on the phobia list, so...was there just an alligator in the cargo bay?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Most recent
    Alara wasn't with Bortus, and I don't think large reptiles was on the phobia list, so...was there just an alligator in the cargo bay?

I was just wondering the same thing.
    I think it's way funnier if it's Isaac going off script.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;

Given their frequent work with Seth already, I'd guess it's more of a when they're going to show up and not an if.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I really enjoy how the characters on this show, in just 10 episodes, feel like real people. Kelly and Alara are clearly good friends. Bortus isn't familiar with Earth culture but is clearly up for trying anything while being a new parent (and all the challenges that brings). Give me more of these character moments.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, "Am I early?" was possibly the best delivered line of the show to date.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I really enjoy how the characters on this show, in just 10 episodes, feel like real people. Kelly and Alara are clearly good friends. Bortus isn't familiar with Earth culture but is clearly up for trying anything while being a new parent (and all the challenges that brings). Give me more of these character moments.

Amid all the weird cringey stuff in that ep, his heartfelt venting that "(the baby) does not sleep", etc, was unreservedly good.

• Options

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;
    i kind of want an eccentric self absorbed all powerful entity to be played by Jeff Goldblum

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;
    i kind of want an eccentric self absorbed all powerful entity to be played by Jeff Goldblum Betty White.

Fixed.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

A Lovcraftian Q.

Oh man, what if;
    i kind of want an eccentric self absorbed all powerful entity to be played by Jeff Goldblum
    "Jars of pickles? Alara, uh, finds a way."

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    This show is fantastic. I was cautiously optimistic at first, but it has gotten better with every episode.

The show needs its own version of the TNG’s poker scenes. It seems like a great opportunity for jokes and exploring characters.

My only real complaint is that the modern pop culture references can be a bit jarring and too frequent.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Another cute bit about the casting of Alara's parents:
    Picardo is instantly recognizable, of course, but her mom was played by Molly Hagan - aka Eris the Vorta (the first one we ever saw, in the ep that also introduced "The Jem'Hadar").
    This show really is Trek all the way down.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I hate to admit I didn't recognize Robert Picardo at first. Dude has aged. When he started talking though...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular

That is a completely legit fear. Hobo clowns are the scariest.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Orville just going full Next Gen.
    Taking the navigator and making him the chief engineer just like Geordi!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The new episode was cool.