As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Isaac petting Gordon. I was literally laughing out loud for at least a few minutes!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    That was a genuinely great episode. The character work, comedy, and tension were all well done.

I'm not sure if I laughed harder at Bortus showing up at the holodeck, or LaMarr's whole thing about clowns.

That is a completely legit fear. Hobo clowns are the scariest.

Oh, no doubt. I just thought the delivery was perfect.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Isaac petting Gordon. I was literally laughing out loud for at least a few minutes!

That and the "down coat sleeve" line were great. I think they've found the right balance of humor and seriousness.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Great episode.
    felt extremely TNG with a bit more humour which I loved.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I bet we all thought "oh Isaac is gonna get a cat like Data "and nope he misunderstood in his uniquely hilarious Issac way.

Also props to the suit actor Im just now realizing the special hell they must be in.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I really do love Isaac. The idea of a race of programs that occasionally (all the time when they're adults?) put themselves in corporeal constructs to interact with other species is great. And they're not malevolent or unfeeling.

I do wonder if they ever address how they were created though.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I really do love Isaac. The idea of a race of programs that occasionally (all the time when they're adults?) put themselves in corporeal constructs to interact with other species is great. And they're not malevolent or unfeeling.

Isn't that pretty much the Geth from Mass Effect?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I've been trying to work out which game the sound effects for the doors on the ship are from. It was less distinctive in this episode because it was missing the "thunk" at the end that's usually there. I had thought it was from the original Doom but that doesn't seem to be the case (unless I've just dug up the wrong levels). But I know I've heard it before and I swear it's from a game. Anyone else got this one figured out?

Another damn solid episode this time around, too. The show really seems to have hit its groove.

Jazz on
  • Options

I feel like given they seem more curious about organics than anything else they were designed by a race that made a primitive AI but died off before it became self aware

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    see317 wrote: »

Isn't that pretty much the Geth from Mass Effect?
    Isaac's race seems considerably more interested in philosophy and understanding than destruction of anything threatening. And Isaac seems to be an actual individual, rather than the collection of programs that the Geth are when they have a body.
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Great episode.
    felt extremely TNG with a bit more humour which I loved.

I feel like the show does a pretty dang good job of meshing the original ideas of Star Trek with a much more humanized cast, thanks to the humor. Yes, it's the future and yes, humanity has done a bunch of work to make itself better, but it's not a humanity brimming with creepy enthusiasm for sitting at a console pushing buttons. They do have hokey broad-stroke stories going on now and again, but honestly, not every show on the planet needs hyper-drama and overly-complicated stories.

It's also got that Star Trek optimism for the future that virtually nothing has these days, which is great.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I very much like that gaining higher rank in the union explicitly gives economic benefits

So if you want a beach front property you need to gain some level of renown before getting it allocated to you

override367 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

I seriously expected that scene to lead to a whole different joke, because that conversation was almost literally Spot's backstory on TNG.

Edit: I'm happy they got a season 2, but sad that they apparently didn't get extended for a full season 1, next episode is apparently the season finale.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

I seriously expected that scene to lead to a whole different joke, because that conversation was almost literally Spot's backstory on TNG.

Edit: I'm happy they got a season 2, but sad that they apparently didn't get extended for a full season 1, next episode is apparently the season finale.
    Yes, thats almost exactly how Spot got herself a pet Android.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Finally a science focused episode. Flatland is such a cool concept.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I wonder if the writer for this had been reading some of Three Body Problem and its sequels when they wrote this episode...

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    jammu wrote: »

I was a bit stunned when they talked about the proteins and the importance of shape... and were completely right. Without three-dimensional interactions, we would be super-screwed on molecular level instantly, and proteins are really really particular about forming properly during their construction. No techno-babble about it, 2D existence would trash us bad, and for those exact reasons.

I was also pretty pleased with the fact that they have a real explanation for not having money, and human ambition is still a part of it. And that not everybody necessarily wants to be best, some people just wanna do their jobs and live their lives. They still have an economy, it's just an economy of personal achievement rather than physical wealth.

It's kinda weird to see a Trek-like show getting this stuff more right than actual Trek.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

I was a bit stunned when they talked about the proteins and the importance of shape... and were completely right. Without three-dimensional interactions, we would be super-screwed on molecular level instantly, and proteins are really really particular about forming properly during their construction. No techno-babble about it, 2D existence would trash us bad, and for those exact reasons.

I was also pretty pleased with the fact that they have a real explanation for not having money, and human ambition is still a part of it. And that not everybody necessarily wants to be best, some people just wanna do their jobs and live their lives. They still have an economy, it's just an economy of personal achievement rather than physical wealth.

It's kinda weird to see a Trek-like show getting this stuff more right than actual Trek.

It's really gonna hurt when Fox decides to put this one in their SciFi grave yard.
    And I really never thought I'd be saying that about a Seth McFarlane show.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I know Star Trek never really talked about the specifics of how they transitioned away from money, but it does seem pretty obvious that once energy is cheap and making the essentials for living becomes cheap, that money would become obsolete.

Everything is iterative though. Star Trek pushed some major boundaries like race, but you can't expect them to push *every* boundary. How TOS treated women for one example. Early TNG gave the middle finger to religion, but then I think they backed away from that later and just simply didn't say anything. But then later they tackled LGBTQ.

Capitalism is really goosing over a lot of people these days, so it's only natural that a sci fi show starts poking at it again.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

It's really gonna hurt when Fox decides to put this one in their SciFi grave yard.

Oof, don’t say that. I need this bit of utopia while we’re living in this dystopia right now.

I’m going to hope that Netflix would spend those billions it has on picking up this show if it gets axed. Though I kind of wonder if McFarlane is contractually obligated to work with Fox exclusively.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

Oof, don’t say that. I need this bit of utopia while we’re living in this dystopia right now.

I’m going to hope that Netflix would spend those billions it has on picking up this show if it gets axed. Though I kind of wonder if McFarlane is contractually obligated to work with Fox exclusively.

Nah. He apparently pitched a Star Trek show to CBS some years back. They rejected it, and some of those ideas most likely worked their way into Orville scripts.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

Nah. He apparently pitched a Star Trek show to CBS some years back. They rejected it, and some of those ideas most likely worked their way into Orville scripts.

I can understand why. The Orville is most definitely not a Star Trek show, but I honestly don't think it would be as good as a Star Trek show. I feel like the humor in the first few episodes was almost a bait and swap. The pop culture references have gotten more subtle, but even then the whole running joke with Bortus and eating things would never make it on Trek. But it does so much to bring to life the characters in a way most Trek shows don't.

It almost feels like a Marvel vs DC thing. Marvel has weird and flawed people as heroes, DC has paragons of ideals. The Orville is Marvel to Trek's DC. Neither is right or wrong but you get a different blend of story from it.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Finally watched a few episodes with the wife; saw the Charlize Theron Episode and the Liam Neeson one. Both were pretty good, it was easily more watchable then Trek ever was for me. The practical joke episode was pretty great.

Wife thinks Seth and Palicki are going to get back together, but I kind of wonder if Alara was fishing for 'permission' to date him when they were walking around in the alien bio-ship.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ya'll should catch up, is all I'm saying.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I did something the other night I hadn't since ... uh ... high school?

Back in the day, I used to, on Friday nights, stay up really late watching the multi-show TNG marathon that one of the stations would run. I'd get a soda or two, eat some junkfood, and just go live in the future for a bit.

This time, it The Orville, a beer, and ... okay, still junkfood (and I had to do all the dishes during the first couple episodes), but, yeah. Caught up through the Charlize Theron episode, which was great.
    I love the fact that she's, like, "Well, I'm totally from the future." And the crew's first reaction is, "Hah hah, that's total bullshit. Pull the other one; which it is has bells on it."

Also, "I'm glad I didn't die while I was mad at you." :sniff:

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Next time...
    Apparently, someone dies in the next episode. Takes one for the crew.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Spoilers, brah.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Spoilers, brah.

Eh. It was in the preview.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Spoilers, brah.

Eh. It was in the preview.

Which I don't watch, so ...

• Options
    What are the chances that they stay dead (assuming you meant someone on the bridge died)?
    As opposed to Trekking up a clone, or a mirror universe duplicate or something.

• Options
    What are the chances that they stay dead (assuming you meant someone on the bridge died)?
    As opposed to Trekking up a clone, or a mirror universe duplicate or something.
    I'm betting on Yaffit. He'll die by splitting into two allowing his "kids" to do something complicated only he could do but that requires him on different parts of the ship .

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I just know it's going to be Ensign Ponce De Leon in a freak trash tornado.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I love how much the production team is finding their footing in terms of effects and design. They're probably molding to their limited budget as time goes on, and it'll only look better (again, just like ST:TNG). The same is true with the cast - some are still pretty wooden, but it's growing, and you can see it. Definitely the most improved show of 2017 and one of my favorites for sure. I'm in the tank for season 2, no doubt.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    How does MacFarlane keep making better and better episodes?! (Just wrapped up New Dimensions)

• Options
    Most people wouldn't have guessed that MacFarlane's real talents were not, in fact, voice acting and animated sitcoms.

Nope. He was put on this earth for for sci-fi comedy and big band and jazz standards records.

And also that guest spot on Gilmore Girls.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If you would have asked me 6 months ago about seth making a sci-fi space exploration show I would have said I've had enough fucking family guy gag bullshit and I don't need that in space.

Fast forward to now and I feel like he's picked up a TNG torch and humanized it and I'm liking every episode and it's season 1!

My only concern is that this is fox and they fucking love to kill great sci fi.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Aridhol wrote: »
    If you would have asked me 6 months ago about seth making a sci-fi space exploration show I would have said I've had enough fucking family guy gag bullshit and I don't need that in space.

Fast forward to now and I feel like he's picked up a TNG torch and humanized it and I'm liking every episode and it's season 1!

My only concern is that this is fox and they fucking love to kill great sci fi.

Fox is selling all this off. It depends less on Fox and more on who buys their entertainment side.

If it's Disney, and it looks like it's Disney, they will never let go of a successful anything until they merchandise the last drop of blood out of it, and like Star Trek, Orville is in a different enough wheelhouse that I don't see it being killed to keep it from competing with Star Wars.

If it's not Disney... Well, some of the other potential buyers might be worse than Fox.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    People give Fox a lot of shit, but realistically, they've been better for animation, genre TV, and sci-fi specifically than literally any other network in the last 20 years. They cancel more genre shows than every other network even orders pilots of, but that's because they keep trying.

For every Firefly or Almost Human, there's a Fringe or (hopefully) Orville that gets a great run.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Almost Human wasn't on FOX, that was WB not wanting to cut costs to keep the show going; apparently AH was expensive as hell to make.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The Orville can't be particularly cheap. I'm pretty sure the only bits of it that look cheap look that way deliberately.

• Options
    It may be just me, but I feels like the writing has a similar pacing as Seth's cartoons.