As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Tonight's episode was pretty good.

I love mcfarland's love of show tunes. The fact he's just making it a thing everyone's into in the future purely so he can do bits like the symphony is just delightful.

Sleep on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Tonight was a really lighthearted and fun episode. I’m glad there’s stuff like this on TV.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Finally! I've waited this moment since the season 2 trailers.

<-

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I kinda wish the hair started growing every where and Bortus had ended up with a mullet and mutton chops

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Nice character story and Mocstache aside.
    Those traveling shots of the Orville were simply gorgeous.
    Pure ship-erotica!

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I kinda wish the hair started growing every where and Bortus had ended up with a mullet and mutton chops

Bortus experimenting with hair should be an ongoing background joke.
    Not something commented on in depth, definitely not something to make up anything more than a c-plot, but just to have him walk by with greasy early 90's style rat tale, or some 80's hair band styling...

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This show is literally just a slightly more humorous modern day TNG. I love everything about it.

The importance placed on culture and relationships and exploring humanity is great. And then combine it with the perfect amount of quirky with lines like
    We are, without a doubt, the weirdest ship in the fleet
    and stuff like
    Bordis's mustache
    and this is a show I hope is on for a very long time.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Previous episode.
    Astrology dumbasses.

Krathoon on
    The peeing.
    I really thought they were going to do a joke where he firehoses it off the cliff.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    so i don't actually watch this show anymore

i just like reposting memes

and this seems to go here

rtvljl2wtvkh.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    well now you've gone and made me post this now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amy5tXk3Dl4

Doors and corners...

The room will eat you alive...

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Isaac
    flipping the table
    and then resetting it
    was hysterical.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    What the fuck even is this show? There's just no dang way I should be invested in what happens to Claire, interested in the show's quite serious take on the feasibility of relationships for an artificial life form, and repeatedly entertained to the point of busting out laughing.

Seriously, when
    Gordon and John outright sprint to the bridge to talk about Issac and Claire
    I was just dying. And this episode has like... four of those moments. And then throws in several touching moments on top of that, with some of them touching AND funny.

Damn am I glad this show is around, I really missed positive scifi with major heart to it.

The best part of the running joke is they address a massive problem TNG constantly ran into regarding elevators

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drying out
    the set after
    that final scene
    had to be a nightmare for the production crew.

Worth it.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    Pure ship-erotica!
    I liked them, but they made me long for the practical shots of the Enterprise in TNG.

sig.gif
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Drying out
    the set after
    that final scene
    had to be a nightmare for the production crew.

Worth it.

I don't think they actually had to dry much. The falling water looked super fake. There was water splashing on the consoles and people were clearly wet, but it varied to some pretty far degrees - Mercer was soaked, the doctor had some wet and dry spots that weren't changing as far as I saw.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Did anyone else have a "Is that really him?" moment when Isaac was revealed? It didn't match who I imagined (older, maybe late 40's to early 60's), and was more surprised they didn't do a Vader (someone in the suit, someone else providing the voice).

Side note, from an interview I found while I was dicking around looking things up...
    As a United Kingdom citizen, the producers had to write lengthy, extensive petitions to the State Department for Jackson's entry into the United States. Jackson later recollected the first time he met the director of the pilot episode, Jon Favreau, who said, "You're Mark? You would not believe the letter I had to write for you, so don't be shit." When filming of Old Wounds concluded, Favreau approached Jackson anew to tell him, "You weren't shit."

That's the kind of performance review I'd want.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Pure ship-erotica!

They look good, but every time I see the Orville I get annoyed at the placement of the Shuttlebay. Its the worst place to put it on the ship. Anything flying in or out has to avoid the three engine thingys. It plainly sucks.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited February 2019
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Pure ship-erotica!

They look good, but every time I see the Orville I get annoyed at the placement of the Shuttlebay. Its the worst place to put it on the ship. Anything flying in or out has to avoid the three engine thingys. It plainly sucks.

Logic might be to put the most vulnerable point inside the most critical and presumably best shielded parts.

My ship in STO has the same issue. The main fighter bay where it launches pets is ok, but the smaller shuttle bay that gets used in a few cutscenes is facing a mission pod on a rollbar.

At least on he Orville, a straight shot out still clears below the middle arch. As long as the ship holds still and you don't touch the steering you shouldn't hit anything too expensive.

Hevach on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Pure ship-erotica!

I'd have to go back and look, but I could have sworn I saw a shot where the shuttle doors were opening, but as the doors slid open, they sort of disappeared into the hull, but the sides of the bay were right next to the exterior hull, so I guess it's just one of those new fangled nano-doors that deconstruct and reconstruct as you need them to.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    This episode kinda confused me about how their simulators work.

They were having dinner in the simulator and the food respawned when the table did. So... can they eat simulated food? Does it disappear from their stomachs when they leave?

And the rain seemed to have a physical effect on people's clothing and hair. When the simulation ends does everything just instantly dry?

Maybe it's replication. They don't create holograms so much as they instantly create matter? Which would mean that Isaac's face and skin were actual living tissue overlaid on top of his synthetic body?

Looks more like space magic to me.

RT800 on
    edited February 2019
    The rain wasnt simulated.

Replicators are canon and have been a plot point

If Bortus can have sex with a hologram Issac can certainly overlay one over his body

King Riptor on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    What the fuck even is this show? There's just no dang way I should be invested in what happens to Claire, interested in the show's quite serious take on the feasibility of relationships for an artificial life form, and repeatedly entertained to the point of busting out laughing.

Seriously, when
    Gordon and John outright sprint to the bridge to talk about Issac and Claire
    I was just dying. And this episode has like... four of those moments. And then throws in several touching moments on top of that, with some of them touching AND funny.

Damn am I glad this show is around, I really missed positive scifi with major heart to it.

My wife and I were rolling in our seats during that segment in your spoiler. It was so fucking funny.

Also surprise
    Norm Mcdonald!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    On Isaac's innovation
    I kinda got the impression that an overlay hologram isn't something anyone had pulled off before. I can see that actually being a huge can of worms for society, particularly given what they immediately used it for.

On Isaac's innovation
    I kinda got the impression that an overlay hologram isn't something anyone had pulled off before. I can see that actually being a huge can of worms for society, particularly given what they immediately used it for.

It seems like Isaac probably had more fine control given he is an AI . We only see the two though and the second guy is a slime engineer so who knows

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    On Isaac's innovation

Ed and Gordon did something similar in season 1.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    On Isaac's innovation

This came to mind after this episode. It's probably been brought up already but still funny.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Well if the Space Pope is against it...

edited February 2019
    I like the idea that they will start to dread First Contact or demand that they send a detailed explanation of their culture first.

Krathoon on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Can't beliave that I forgot that Penny Johnson was on DS9 as Kasidy Yates...

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm trying to imagine what an organization like starfleet or the union or whatever should actually handle first contact and i guess the relevant data might be missing. Like if the first five races they met were all cool and easy going and were like, let's be friends. Then it might be harder to have all these weird rules about who can talk and when you can land on a planet, etc.

Why do i get the feeling that at some point Isaac's planet will reject the meat-bags and be like, no thanks, we're good without you.

edited February 2019
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm trying to imagine what an organization like starfleet or the union or whatever should actually handle first contact and i guess the relevant data might be missing. Like if the first five races they met were all cool and easy going and were like, let's be friends. Then it might be harder to have all these weird rules about who can talk and when you can land on a planet, etc.

Why do i get the feeling that at some point Isaac's planet will reject the meat-bags and be like, no thanks, we're good without you.

Issac is there to gather data his race isn't an ally or enemy of the Union

King Riptor on
    edited February 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like the idea that they will start to dread First Contact or demand that they send a detailed explanation of their culture first.

The problem is still there. The astrologer planet truly expected them to know what a Jeliac is and why they're bad, so in the information they provided Jeliacs probably just look like some kind of ethnic minority.

There's only so much they will think to send and only so much you can take the time to read, and the idea behind answering messages like this seems to be to make sure a new race's first contact is with a friendly landing party and not a Krill neutron weapon or a war party of those monkey people.
    Pailryder wrote: »

Issac is there to gather data his race isn't an ally or enemy of the Union

They mentioned in the last episode that they are considering joining the Union, and Isaac's findings will determine their final decision. Sounds like they're at least on friendly terms, but the technological and biological gap isn't easy for either side to cross.

Hevach on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There's also the chance that Isaac's people will join the Union because based off Isaac's data, they will know ways to manipulate the meatbags.

edit: and I do mean manipulate, not control. have them head in the general direction you want, without forcing them to do it.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    DanHibiki wrote: »

We're getting into layers of geekery here, but: my STO RP fleet has been watching episodes in-character, saying that the show exists within the ST universe as "not Starfleet wink wink" entertainment. One of the little bits of our fanon is that yes, that is Kasidy Yates-Sisko (who also serves as a consultant to the production crew) playing Dr. Claire. :)

Commander Zoom on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I just started watching season two and I now watched episode 4.

This show is going full SF now, like, they almost completely dropped the "silly family guy in space" comedy pretense, and what comedy there is feels great

Episode 3 and 4 especially would have felt directly at home in Voyage (03) and TNG (04) I feel

And I just love their alien design so much. The Krill, for example, look just fantastic!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I think the comedy has shifted from slapstick to humanizing the crew. This cast feels so much more like real people who aren't 100% workaholics like in TNG and a lot of other trek.

We're getting into layers of geekery here, but: my STO RP fleet has been watching episodes in-character, saying that the show exists within the ST universe as "not Starfleet wink wink" entertainment. One of the little bits of our fanon is that yes, that is Kasidy Yates-Sisko (who also serves as a consultant to the production crew) playing Dr. Claire. :)

This is incredibly awesome. What tier is your starbase?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

This is incredibly awesome. What tier is your starbase?

T4 for reasons. :) (It may, finally, be getting the limiter taken off and upgraded to T5 this year; not sure.)

http://argo.enjin.com/ </shameless plug>