As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah like I imagine once you can 3D print a spaceship, you don't really hit the off button as long as you are still expanding.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    look, they hit their unit cap a while ago so all the ships they had waiting in the build cue just finish printing the minute a couple of the older ones blow up.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    With only the two-part season finale to go, I'm really crossing my fingers and toes that this gets renewed for another season. Come on Hulu/Disney! I need more Orville!
    It would be a crying shame for things to end with only three seasons when it's such good quality sci-fi and really hitting it's stride.

So far the only news I've seen about what happens after is of some books made from 2 episodes they couldn't film due to the pandemic, and that's it.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Was Seth at San Diego comic con this year at all? I was hoping we might hear something then.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    S3E9 was cool.
    Kaylon Prime saw first hand that a living being sacrificed their life for them. That was a great way to end the story. That was a well written episode.

We know from Isaac that the Kaylon are not the flawless arbiters of logic that they claim to be, so I'm going to say that this gesture meaning something to KP works for me

Kaylons in a nutshell:
    https://youtu.be/PlQ_f2HosTk

The Kaylon being pure logic and also immensely flawed is one of my favorite things about their species. Particularly when
    Isaac comes to the logical conclusion of suicide
    because he bases his reasoning on the information he does have, not the information that will exist as a result of the action. It's not that his people are incapable of estimating unknown outcomes, they just... don't. It's not how their minds work. They observe, learn, and calculate based on solid data, not potential data.

So when
    the entire Kaylon race flips attitudes because of the actions of one person
    it works so well for me. Without actually observing the event, it was just never a real possibility to them.
    Their creators were organic. The Union was made of organic species. Therefore, the Union was the same as their creators. Raw logic, but utterly inflexible and without empathy. And wrong.
    But now they have to reconsider everything about that logic.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Was Seth at San Diego comic con this year at all? I was hoping we might hear something then.

Seth wasn't physically there, but The Orville had a panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7mD1xkxni8

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "V'ger must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its god, doctor, is the answer to its question, 'Is there nothing more'?"
    "What more is there than the universe, Spock?"
    "Other dimensions. Higher levels of being."
    "The existence of which cannot be proven logically. Therefore, V'ger is incapable of believing in them."
    "What V'ger needs in order to evolve... is a human quality. Our capacity to leap beyond logic."

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Seth has no free time to be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_46L5SAT7I

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    So

Uh

S3's Topa episode

Holy fuck they just went for it with a rawness I haven't seen since DS9

I am very here for Trek that's blasting fuck the police

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    This show is so incredibly good. Season 3 has been like the most banging TNG season with double length episodes, infinite budget, and modern production.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited July 2022
    They did a time travel Gordon episode with a Johnny Knoxville cameo and it was emotional as fuck with a really great bit of science at the end and horrifying discussions of time travel

Holy fuck what is this season

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Up until SNW and Lower Decks, Orville was the best modern Trek show. These last two episodes are easily the best modern Trek movie.

I think The Orville is still, as a whole, better than both Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds. Especially when you appreciate it for what it is rather than always comparing it directly to Star Trek (particularly TNG).

Over time the latter shows may surpass it, but for now I think it's gone farther with much less.

Man...i hope they make an Orville spin off, on a space station, at the mouth of a stable wormhole just as some ancient aliens awaken to start a millenia old galactic proxy war.
    There could be a recovering alcoholic shape shifting sheriff, a greedy former aristocrat bartender with big hair, and G'Kar and Kira who are just G'Kar and Kira.

Man...i hope they make an Orville spin off, on a space station, at the mouth of a stable wormhole just as some ancient aliens awaken to start a millenia old galactic proxy war.
    There could be a recovering alcoholic shape shifting sheriff, a greedy former aristocrat bartender with big hair, and G'Kar and Kira who are just G'Kar and Kira.

Make it a truck stop named Babylon Fuel

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Make it a truck stop named Babylon Fuel

Deep Space Gas

edited August 2022
    Fully caught up

Can definitely feel them doing a bit of speedrun plotting in episode 9 cause they know this might be the last season but totally forgiven given the circumstances. Especially because they just said fuck it, we're Star Wars for an episode and had a ball with it.

I hope we get more Orville but if this is it they're going out on an incredible note.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Fully caught up

Can definitely feel them doing a bit of speedrun plotting in episode 9 cause they know this might be the last season but totally forgiven given the circumstances. Especially because they just said fuck it, we're Star Wars for an episode and had a ball with it.

I hope we get more Orville but if this is it they're going out on an incredible note.

The episodes running some 60-90 minutes means they're getting to do sooooo much more with one episode than a normal Trek episode. Basically every episode of Orville this season would be a major Trek two-parter and while they haven't all been great, the highs are really high.

I enjoyed Orville from the outset but if you'd told me in S1 that I would end up viewing top episodes of the show right up there with top Trek episodes, I would've been pretty skeptical. And while I do recognize shows being limited by the shittiness of culture for their time, the Orville has shown a fuckload less restraint with slapping down "straight-up bad" as a description for things we're seeing. Even with the Moclan bullshit, it's been 100% clear that, as maddening as it's been for the Union to tolerate the Moclans, it's been 110% political shit driving that. Everybody fucking hates it and even the Moclans know they're shit and are just exploiting the Union.

And the way episode 9 turns the power structure of the galaxy on its ear
    specifically because the Union decided to stick to its guns and do the right thing instead of the political thing
    is just so dang... Federation. And great.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think the next episode is the finale, too. So it will be interesting to see what comes of the new status quo, and if any of the recently discovered races come into play.

sig.gif
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I still love that the only two core differences between this and TNG are 1) everyone gets wasted, like all the time, and 2) They use shuttles instead of transporters, which is just great.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I still love that the only two core differences between this and TNG are 1) everyone gets wasted, like all the time, and 2) They use shuttles instead of transporters, which is just great.

I have to imagine almost all of modern Trek writers are at some point extremely annoyed that transporters ever became a thing. A simple budget decision that has had impacts for decades across I forget how many shows.

• VontreVontre Registered User regular
    There are already a ton of episodes where shuttle scenes just bog down the pacing. Meanwhile Trek just throws in a line about a dampening field or something if they want characters to escape on foot, they can have it both ways. I thought the shuttle thing would be an improvement in theory, but actually watching it it's definitely not.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Spoiler that I kind of just have to get out of the way.
    We get one pickle jar a season, I guess? Glad to see her back, if only briefly.

Anyway, that was an awesome finale, went for the feelings, but was also absolutely hilarious. This season really felt like Ed was taking more of a backseat to Kelly, which I'm totally down with if they want to make her the captain going forward.
    Funniest moment had to be either Claire reading Lamar the riot act, or Isaac inviting his entire species to the wedding.

sig.gif
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Spoiler that I kind of just have to get out of the way.
    We get one pickle jar a season, I guess? Glad to see her back, if only briefly.

Anyway, that was an awesome finale, went for the feelings, but was also absolutely hilarious. This season really felt like Ed was taking more of a backseat to Kelly, which I'm totally down with if they want to make her the captain going forward.
    Funniest moment had to be either Claire reading Lamar the riot act, or Isaac inviting his entire species to the wedding.

Not sure how you can claim either are the funniest moments when you have
    "Isaac. You betrayed us. Your actions destroyed many ships and caused the deaths of many people. All kidding aside, congratulations on this day"

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "All kidding aside" is an all time great line here.

This episode feels like it could be a series finale, which makes me sad. We say hi to an old crew member, gain a new one who was also a previous guest, and it was just happy.

I want more Orville! But if this is to be the finale, at least it's on a high note.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Was it just me, or
    did it look like they were setting up Lysella as an accidental love interest for Kelly? I thought there was going to be an awkward kiss or something similar to lead into a possible complication for the next season.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    This felt too much like a series finale and I'm sad if it was.

What a well made season of television.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Was it just me, or
    did it look like they were setting up Lysella as an accidental love interest for Kelly? I thought there was going to be an awkward kiss or something similar to lead into a possible complication for the next season.

...not really.
    Kelly basically adopted her as a little sister.

Lysella was being set up as a love interest for Lamarr, because everyone talked about how grateful he was, but then they never really had a scene together.

Kelly and Ed revival were sorta set up at the wedding.

Man, they really should have splurged and got the rights to Sandstorm instead of that sound alike.

For some reason I was under the mistaken impression that the season finale would be a two-parter - now I'm sad that there won't be another episode next week. :(

If this really is the end of the show though, what a lovely note to go out on, with Gordon singing a beautifully heartfelt song about enjoying life. B)

A great episode. I had completely forgotten about Lysella (and her planet) from 2017, though, I had to wiki her.

Also - I read the synopsis for the book on Wikipedia and now I'm actually kind of glad they never got the chance to film this script:
    The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil

In 1914 New York City, a woman leaves her baby at the front desk of a hotel and never returns. The staff decide to give the baby to a German couple staying in the hotel, who name the baby Otto and return with him to Germany. As a teenager, Otto begins to sympathize with the Nazi Party and develops a strong disdain for Jews, and joins the Schutzstaffel. Otto later marries and fathers a son. Otto becomes the commander of a concentration camp, where he kills Jewish prisoners to entertain himself. Ed and Kelly arrive at the camp and end the program, revealing Otto’s reality to be a simulation, and take Otto to the Orville and his parents, who reveal his true name to be Adam. Adam’s parents recount that they were energy researchers living and working in an underground laboratory when the Krill attacked their laboratory to steal their research. Adam’s mother hid him in their 1914 simulation before the Krill abducted and imprisoned them, and Adam was left to be raised by the simulator for nearly thirty years. Adam has difficulty adjusting to reality, and the Orville crew unsuccessfully attempt to deprogram him. Adam escapes from his quarters and takes an officer hostage, whom he has take him to the ship’s simulator, where he has the computer create a simulation of his wife and son in a reality where Germany won World War II. Ed and Talla apprehend Adam and arrange for him to be sent to a facility for extensive psychological deprogramming. Decades later, an elderly Adam is working as a baker and runs into Ty Finn, and mentions Ty’s mother helped him during a difficult time.

Just, yeesh. Seth can be a decent enough writer at times, but I'm just not sure he could tell a story about
    deprogramming a Nazi
    with the kind of sensitivity that would seem to require.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Also - I read the synopsis for the book on Wikipedia and now I'm actually kind of glad they never got the chance to film this script:
    The Orville: Sympathy for the Devil

In 1914 New York City, a woman leaves her baby at the front desk of a hotel and never returns. The staff decide to give the baby to a German couple staying in the hotel, who name the baby Otto and return with him to Germany. As a teenager, Otto begins to sympathize with the Nazi Party and develops a strong disdain for Jews, and joins the Schutzstaffel. Otto later marries and fathers a son. Otto becomes the commander of a concentration camp, where he kills Jewish prisoners to entertain himself. Ed and Kelly arrive at the camp and end the program, revealing Otto’s reality to be a simulation, and take Otto to the Orville and his parents, who reveal his true name to be Adam. Adam’s parents recount that they were energy researchers living and working in an underground laboratory when the Krill attacked their laboratory to steal their research. Adam’s mother hid him in their 1914 simulation before the Krill abducted and imprisoned them, and Adam was left to be raised by the simulator for nearly thirty years. Adam has difficulty adjusting to reality, and the Orville crew unsuccessfully attempt to deprogram him. Adam escapes from his quarters and takes an officer hostage, whom he has take him to the ship’s simulator, where he has the computer create a simulation of his wife and son in a reality where Germany won World War II. Ed and Talla apprehend Adam and arrange for him to be sent to a facility for extensive psychological deprogramming. Decades later, an elderly Adam is working as a baker and runs into Ty Finn, and mentions Ty’s mother helped him during a difficult time.

Just, yeesh. Seth can be a decent enough writer at times, but I'm just not sure he could tell a story about
    deprogramming a Nazi
    with the kind of sensitivity that would seem to require.
    From the sound of that I'm glad it didn't end up in the show simply because of the ending. Doing stuff like that ends up setting futures in stone which can get really problematic for later writing.

Imagine showing these GIFs to someone with no context behind them:
    https://imgur.com/a/aWmk1US
    (NSFW Kaylon nipple tassels...)

The Orville has been a wonderfully god-damn tonally weird show at times, when you think about it.
    But then the only other sci-fi comedy show I can think of, (off the top of my head), that has ever worked well was 'Red Dwarf'.

I think I actually liked more of the serious-natured episodes in S3, and the second half of S2, tackling topics like the prime directive etc.
    But then the show also wants to be sort of like 'Space Balls', like the prank war between Gordon and Isaac in season 1 (where the emphasis was more on the gags), where Isaac cuts off Gordon's leg.

It's been interesting to see them try to get that balance right, (IMO they haven't always succeeded) and I hope (fingers crossed) they get the chance to continue in the direction they have been, with the fate of S4 still up in the air.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Was it just me, or

I think everyone is to( understandably) horny for Kelly

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    For a minute there I thought they were maybe
    setting up the Black Mirror Earth lady... Lyessa? as a new recruit in Engineering to replace Fourth Dimensional Racist Lady who sacrificed herself for the Kaylon.

Overall a good episode and a solid season or series finale.
    They say every story ends in a death or a wedding, so...

I'm really surprised they got Bortus and Klyden back together. I had hoped we were done with Klyden for good.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i just want to shout out to the writers and actor for Klyden. I don't think there's been another sci-fi character that i've felt so good about hating. Even Dukat from DS9 didn't give me these kinds of feelings. There was so much good in s03e10, in no particular order
    isaac inviting all the kaylons. bortus butting in to be the best man, bortus toast, bortus, claires little talk with lamarr, simulation isaac and the girls night out, klydens constant cheering for bortus and everyone just keeps staring at him
    and not spoiler but this episode may have given the best explanation behind the prime directive of any Trek like show.
    i really also liked how they got all the main cast to have some good moments.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I will purchase and eat a hat if this gets renewed at Hulu, but I'm really happy they did this season (and I hope to eat that hat!).

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I do wanna say that the Union, like the Federation, has a first contact policy born of liberalbrain that can't think of any other way to help a struggling civilization out other than giving a pile of tech to the leaders of the most prominent nations on that planet (EG: the only model they can envision is America giving piles of money to Kleptocrat)

Because what they're really saying is "it would be too much work to help the people directly", which is fine, but these shows never want to own that point of view.

override367 on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I do wanna say that the Union, like the Federation, has a first contact policy born of liberalbrain that can't think of any other way to help a struggling civilization out other than giving a pile of tech to the leaders of the most prominent nations on that planet

Because what they're really saying is "it would be too much work to help the people directly", which is fine, but these shows never want to own that point of view.

I mean, the only ways to "help" a lower-technology civilization are:
    * give them the science and hope they use it wisely
    * effectively conquer them and force them to use the science wisely
    * offer everyone on the planet, individually, the option to receive your help in return for agreeing to obey your ethical and legal requirements (which is just conquering with more steps)

If you just broadcast at Earth, as a whole, how to build effectively-free, clean energy reactors and matter-conversion replicators, it would absolutely be the already-wealthy and powerful who have the existing infrastructure to build the first ones and they would use them to further entrench their positions. Building them without government approval would become illegal as a mechanism to gatekeep access to keep the entire economy from collapsing because nobody in power wants a post-scarcity society. There are almost certainly nations on Earth who have nuclear weapons who wouldn't have the infrastructure and resources to build the things and I guarantee you they would threaten to or actually use those nukes to try to get access to the new technology.

And hey, maybe occupation/colonization is okay in this instance. I know, as an American, I'd rather if the Union or the Federation showed up tomorrow, deposed our government, and made us all provisional citizens in their post-scarcity culture following mandatory ethics training or something. But a key factor of the whole non-intervention rule is the idea that individual cultures are inherently valuable and that they should be allowed to develop without undue influence. And if the Union comes in and takes over on any pre-post-scarcity world they find, they lose that. The only original, individual cultures you get are planets who reached warp technology before the Union found them.

Edit to add: we have the technology and the resources, right now, without any help from the Federation, to provide every person on Earth enough food to eat, water to drink, and a place to live. We don't because people would rather amass wealth than improve the lives of the worst off. I'm certainly no exception; I live an upper-middle class lifestyle in a first world nation when I could be living a minimal lifestyle and donating my income. But it's not like just dropping off shuttle-loads of food and water would fix Earth's problems, as any aid effort whose supplies are stolen and controlled by local powers can tell you.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i thought the missionary analogy was really good. Even if we know terrible horrible things happened, the actual colonization missionaries going out there probably (for the most part) thought they were really doing good/helping. And their actions destroyed so much because that perspective blinded them to so many fundamental issues. Maybe not everyone needs to be part of the union to be just ok. The twitter planet probably isn't a great example of that but i'm sure there have been places that were never going to get post scarcity but also could have things be pretty good. Advancement of tech does not equal advancement of ethical/moral behavior.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Edit to add: we have the technology and the resources, right now, without any help from the Federation, to provide every person on Earth enough food to eat, water to drink, and a place to live. We don't because people would rather amass wealth than improve the lives of the worst off. I'm certainly no exception; I live an upper-middle class lifestyle in a first world nation when I could be living a minimal lifestyle and donating my income. But it's not like just dropping off shuttle-loads of food and water would fix Earth's problems, as any aid effort whose supplies are stolen and controlled by local powers can tell you.

There was a line early on where Kelly said matter synthesis changed everything and made their society possible. I feel that line was the weak point of the episode because the whole point afterwards is that the technology doesn't enable the utopia, the ethics do.

Over in Trek (because Orville hasn't given us nearly the world building over three seasons that Star Trek has had twelve series worth of head start on, Trek has had a lot more opportunity to show rather than tell), Cardassia and Ferenginar are every bit the post scarcity societies of Earth.

Earth has abolished hunger, poverty, and has conquered sickness and crime to fantastic limits.

Cardassia is a revolving door of brutal dictatorships where the strong rule the weak and starving orphans kill each other in the streets over raw Taspar eggs.

Ferenginar has incalculable wealth disparity, slavery, privatized for profit everything, and death row debtor prisons.

As a bonus, Romulus is shown to have apparently free food and is implied to be pretty safe and comfortable as long as the Tal Shiar don't have you on any lists, but its client world Remus is a nightmare hell world under the Romulan bootheel.

Hevach on