As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I am curious about this Disney stuff because it could mean good things for a lot of shows and movies. I'm not sure how the Seth stuff will go though. Orville I can see being under the Disney banner. Family guy not so much.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I am curious about this Disney stuff because it could mean good things for a lot of shows and movies. I'm not sure how the Seth stuff will go though. Orville I can see being under the Disney banner. Family guy not so much.

You know most of Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith's films have been distributed by Disney companies, right?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

You know most of Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith's films have been distributed by Disney companies, right?

Well yeah but as far as I know Disney doest have a tv wing like Miramax

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I don't think they'd be buying Fox's assets if they didn't plan to use them, so I'd have to assume they're prepared to make that work.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

They own ABC, and will be getting more from Fox.

Disney has never been a whole company of princesses and talking cars. They, directly or indirectly made films aimed at adult audiences for decades, and their acquisitions like ABC, Lucasfilm, and Marvel were to expand their abilities in markets that weren't princesses and talking cars. Fox is no different.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

They own ABC, and will be getting more from Fox.

Disney has never been a whole company of princesses and talking cars. They, directly or indirectly made films aimed at adult audiences for decades, and their acquisitions like ABC, Lucasfilm, and Marvel were to expand their abilities in markets that weren't princesses and talking cars. Fox is no different.

Given what we’ve gotten from Marvel and Lucasfilm since Disney acquired them, I’m pretty optimistic about Orville’s future under their ownership.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Disney seems pretty keen on letting things that work keep working. As long as they consider Orville's numbers to be acceptable (whatever that is for them), I imagine they'll remain hands off like they do with most everything else they've bough in the last while.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Disney owning everything now? Geez.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Disney owning everything now? Geez.

The sad thing is, every hypothetical merger I can think of, after a few seconds of thinking that, I end up nodding to myself and saying, "Yeah, I can live with that as long as..." CBS? Oh, well, ok, I'm sure they'll do good things with Star Trek. Warner Brothers? Well... I mean, I'm sure they won't just merge DC and Marvel and holy shit guys they'd make a Silmarillion trilogy that would make Peter Jackson hang his head in shame.

I really *want* to be on the side of "massive corporate consolidation should be met as a bad thing until demonstrated otherwise" but... Holy shit, guys, can you imagine what they would do with the Transformers if they bought Hasbro?

Turns out the conspiracy theorists have been overthinking it forever. All you need to do to take over the world is to make good movies.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    You only really need to look at what happened with Disney and the LA times to see why it owning so much becomes a problem, eventually it will have enough leverage to just do what it wants.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    It's the same argument that really the best government to have is a benevolent dictatorship.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Watching the new episode. They really screw up this time.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They're pretty much just redoing old Trek episodes at this point. This was basically TNG's "Who Watches the Watchers" with the planet from Voyager's "Blink of an Eye."

They also treat religion with the heavy-handedness and condescension of some of the worst of Trek.

• Options
    Perd!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    They're pretty much just redoing old Trek episodes at this point. This was basically TNG's "Who Watches the Watchers" with the planet from Voyager's "Blink of an Eye."

They also treat religion with the heavy-handedness and condescension of some of the worst of Trek.

That all just sounds awesome to me.

• Options
    That little girl must have had a photographic memory. That statue was spot on.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

There was also a good sized group of people standing behind Kelly when she turned and ran up the hill, so numerous eye witness accounts.
    Still, that statue and the stained glass were both really accurate considering the 7 centuries of telling and retelling an event that lasted all of 15 seconds. Even got the uniform spot instead of subtly adapting it to fit the social mores at the time.

Kind of surprised the Union didn't bother actually dispatching a science ship. I mean, a planet that phases into another dimension then returns 11 days or 700 years later (depending on your point of view)? That's the kind of thing you'd want some science eyes on I'd think.
    Also, why not maybe hang around for another week and a half and see if they might be feeling generous with the 700-years-in-the-future future tech?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

They've been creating homages to Trek episodes since the premiere. Every episode has been a take on a type of Trek episode, to the point that you can usually point to a specific episode that the show is referencing. Even the "social media" one is a riff on the "Trek discovers a gangster/Nazi/Roman world that is inexplicably just like ours but worse."

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

There was also a good sized group of people standing behind Kelly when she turned and ran up the hill, so numerous eye witness accounts.
    Still, that statue and the stained glass were both really accurate considering the 7 centuries of telling and retelling an event that lasted all of 15 seconds. Even got the uniform spot instead of subtly adapting it to fit the social mores at the time.

Kind of surprised the Union didn't bother actually dispatching a science ship. I mean, a planet that phases into another dimension then returns 11 days or 700 years later (depending on your point of view)? That's the kind of thing you'd want some science eyes on I'd think.
    Also, why not maybe hang around for another week and a half and see if they might be feeling generous with the 700-years-in-the-future future tech?

Yeah it seems like setting up an embassy/colony while theyre on the same level would be a good idea.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Well at that point they'd have evolved in to Vorlons and good luck getting then to tell you anything useful.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

They've been creating homages to Trek episodes since the premiere. Every episode has been a take on a type of Trek episode, to the point that you can usually point to a specific episode that the show is referencing. Even the "social media" one is a riff on the "Trek discovers a gangster/Nazi/Roman world that is inexplicably just like ours but worse."

Just because they're paying homage doesn't mean they have to copy entire episodes.

Raging Bull pays a lot of homage to On the Waterfront, but it didn't just copy the story.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Yeah, as much as I enjoyed the episode, it was so predictable. As soon as Kelly said "I promise I won't be seen" you knew exactly what was going to happen. As soon as they revealed the planet that phase shifted in and out, and they showed those villages, I had a feeling it was going to be sped forward in time at some point.

I love that they strike the optimistic Trek tone, but they need to start doing their own thing besides the low key humor.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the newest episode, but for real if predictability kept me from enjoying media I'd basically have nothing to watch or read.

• Options
    Kelly acting on her own without consulting people has been an issue with the character since the pilot. She doesn't have the training a science team would to not interfere and shouldn't have left the site. This was more about her realizing that it doesn't always work out great if she does that

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Holy shit latchcomb. I laughed so fuckin hard at that shit.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I like that episode.

This entire season has been pretty predictable, but it hits all the right notes that I couldn't care less. Its heavy-handedness doesn't take away from the show either, since that's a Star Trek thing. At some point I'd like them to break new ground, but I'm content with what we've gotten so far.

I just want them to move on from the Captain Mercer and Commander Grayson plot line. It was always weird how Star Trek was so cool with fraternization between Starfleet officers, and I'd rather see the characters move on.

I'd also like to see them develop Isaac or some other character as the 'outsider looking in' character that Star Trek always has (eg Spock, Data, Odo, The Doctor). Those were always my favorite characters because they provided thought provoking commentaries on the human condition and prejudice. At first I thought Isaac was going to be that character, but they don't seem to be taking him in that direction.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Holy shit latchcomb. I laughed so fuckin hard at that shit.

I was not at all keen on the rest of the episode, but that bit killed me.

Plus, I loved the fact that the captain was just cruising down the hall looking for somebody to drink with, completely casual. People actually go off-duty, rather than just downshifting from "full duty" to "lighter duty, but still in uniform and basically still working".

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    One thing the episode got right is when they point out that the world would have fucked themselves over regardless of whether or not Kelly intervened. Because of course they would. Because it was never really about belief in Kelly, it was all about the consolidation of power.

That's very different from the TNG episode, where everyone sees Picard bleed and goes on their merry way.

As I mentioned before, Orville is really subversive in how it handles Dues Ex Machina. Lots of scifi shows are really naive about fixing systemic problems. It's one of the reasons I didn't like the resolution of "Serenity."

• Options

I'm more surprised that they left the robot completely defenseless.

Because leaving behind an incredibly advanced piece of technology for the people to capture and dissect couldn't possibly backfire.

They already have 2100 hundred years of history rooted in the dangers of interfering with primitive cultures. In another 700 years, the Orville will be the primitive ones.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Planet is just empty with a little placard that says "Uh... yeah so we thought better of it and moved on but feel free to do some scans and stuff before the planet phases out again!"

• Options
    Most likely, that planet has already been abandoned.

Think about it: 11 days for us is is 700 years to them. Which means that when the planet re-enters their own universe, 700 will have passed (from their perspective).

If you're already colonizing other planets, then it doesn't make much sense to disappear from your universe for 700 years. It seems more likely for everyone to abandon the planet, and maybe just turn the planet into a giant computer for processing calculations that need 700 years to compute.

Which means that the aliens who entered on board the Orville ship? By the time they return to their own universe, anyone they every loved or cared about who didn't stay behind is already long dead.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Yeah I was surprised you didnt see multiple ships launch immediately when it came back in. Would require a mutual need for the species to propagate, if we could spread across those blink points to make sure we survive, we'd be launching the shit out of seed ships.

Isaac probably would get a medal from his people/construct/hive mind/whatever if they have honors and rewards, he managed to collect data on an intelligent species' socital evolution of 700 years first hand in 11 days. That's heroes work. Thats with essentially proving that interference on small scale has no long term effects on a society.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So that was the season finale, eh?

I wonder if Mercer will be in deep shit next season or if it'll all just get glossed over.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Most likely, that planet has already been abandoned.

Think about it: 11 days for us is is 700 years to them. Which means that when the planet re-enters their own universe, 700 will have passed (from their perspective).

If you're already colonizing other planets, then it doesn't make much sense to disappear from your universe for 700 years. It seems more likely for everyone to abandon the planet, and maybe just turn the planet into a giant computer for processing calculations that need 700 years to compute.

Which means that the aliens who entered on board the Orville ship? By the time they return to their own universe, anyone they every loved or cared about who didn't stay behind is already long dead.

The planet wasn't in our space for 11 days. Time in the other universe passes at 2.6 years for every hour in ours. I think Merced said they had been scanning it for 90 minutes when it first disappeared.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The impression I got was every 700 years the planet exists in another time continuum for about an hour and a half at which point it returns to it's own rather unceremoniously

Not what when they return after said 90 minute period 700 years had passed in their "home" timeline

But I mean time gets sorta iffy when things start shifting through different continua I suppose

• Options
    edited December 2017
    If it's symmetrical, they lose around five years in their universe every 700 years. They knew about it before it happened, and were more than able to leave long before it happened, they were already well beyond the Union's level judging from those megastructures all over the homeworld, and their reach extended across the entire galaxy. They clearly didn't consider the loss of their homeworld for five years to be an issue. It's likely they have relocated their capital world, but there's no reason to move a predominantly civilian population, and the homeworld won't fall significantly behind during a five year hiatus.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    episode was interesting but... kinda real ham fisted and bland when it came to the attempt re: religion commentary

also they spent like another month around that planet how did the Union not call them and go "the fuck you doing still being there?"

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    The order after Goddess Kelly Saved the Child was "wait until they initiate contact", so they did.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    So that was the season finale, eh?

I wonder if Mercer will be in deep shit next season or if it'll all just get glossed over.

He was punished, theres a formal reprimand on his file. The thing is that Admiral sent him on a suicide mission and he got them huge tactical gains on a hostile race. She was doing him a favor too.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    She put a formal reprimand on his file for covering for Kelly's fuckup. Then she told him not to interfere with the planet any more - just observe.

Mercer then proceeded to reveal his entire party to the planet's religious leaders and leave his most technologically advanced crew member behind with the express intent of "course-correcting" the planet's civilization over the course of the next 700 years.

That's... that's much worse than what she initially reprimanded him for.