As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Damn. This fourth episode was straight awesome and could've easily, easily! been a good episode of Star Trek TNG.

I really hope the show continues like that!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Damn. This fourth episode was straight awesome and could've easily, easily! been a good episode of Star Trek TNG.

I really hope the show continues like that!

To be fair, it was a pretty close take to the TOS episode "For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky".
    Still, classic sci fi ideas are classics for a reason. I'm enjoying the show a lot more than I thought I would when it premiered. But then I was worried it would be live action Family Guy in space, so... pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Also I kinda wish they'd just go on and go (sp 4 spoiler)
    "Wait, why don't we wear personal shields?" and then just do it.

If anyone else other than Isaac was shot there, they'd be dead.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Also, that they fucking got (episode 4 casting spoiler)
    Liam Neeson, wow!

Edit: Promo for Ep 5

This looks great, and they got ANOTHER great actor. Wow!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Also, that they fucking got
    Liam Neeson, wow!

He is a known Seth McFarlane collaborater, so makes sense.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Episode 4 was great! It deftly has ditched 'FAMILY GUY - IN SPACE'!

I just love all the small nods to TNG too. The generic white noise in the background of the ships and the orchestral cues at the end of scenes which often zoom in on a character's face.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, is this... good?

Discovery put a bad taste in my mouth and I love Galaxy Quest, will I like this?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    It's better than I thought it would be. Episode 4 really pushed me over the edge into fandom.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    So, is this... good?

Discovery put a bad taste in my mouth and I love Galaxy Quest, will I like this?

Advertising is off on this.

It's not a Galaxy Quest parody.

It's TNG with a bit more humor, which tends towards a bit more low-brow angles. The show tends to be better when it has less humor.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So, is this... good?

It's TNG with a bit more humor, which tends towards a bit more low-brow angles. The show tends to be better when it has less humor.

So it's playing the Star Trek stuff straight, it's just got jokes?

• Options
    It's star trek tng fan fiction starring Macfarlane as himself. Sounds awful but kinda works.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    So, is this... good?

Yeah that's about right. First two episodes aren't too great but three and four are basically TNG episodes with jokes in them.

Also that music cue when the generation ship showed up sounded 100% like something out of TNG. When McFarlane steals, he steals well.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So, is this... good?

pretty much

its super wobbly initially tho and mcfarlane is right there in ur face

ep 3 is a ymmv one for gender issues reasons

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The tone of the show feels pretty off to me.

Trying to play it as both a straight sci-fi and a parody makes it feel like it excels at neither.

It doesn't help that every time MacFarlene speaks I hear Family Guy.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Trying to play it as both a straight sci-fi and a parody makes it feel like it excels at neither.

I think the problem is the show was never a parody it's a straight sci-fi show with a more casual atmosphere and jokes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

I think the problem is the show was never a parody it's a straight sci-fi show with a more casual atmosphere and jokes

I guess the show maybe isn't technically a parody, but it feels like one. What with the whole design being such a blatant Star-Trek ripoff combined with the MacFarlene-esque jokes.

Like it feels at times like it's trying to have the gravitas of an episode of TNG, but with fart jokes.

RT800 on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

I guess the show maybe isn't technically a parody, but it feels like one. What with the whole design being such a blatant Star-Trek ripoff combined with the MacFarlene-esque jokes.

Like it feels at times like it's trying to have the gravitas of an episode of TNG, but with fart jokes.

Honestly, it feels more like an homage than a parody.

• Options
    Yeah, the feeling is very much "look how cool this is!" instead of "ha ha this is silly"

The space shots, some of the cool tech scenes.. (S01E03)
    You can see they are really proud of their tricorder design, in the scene where they scans the house, you can even see tiny people on the screen when you look at it, and later he even shows it to the bad guy.

Or the scene where Isaac accesses the door interface at the end, straight up "look at how damn cool this is!"

It really is like some kind of fan fiction by a guy who obviously loves star trek.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Also, it should be noted that despite most it's advertising, FOX thinks of this as a drama.

It's not a comedy, but it's got jokes, and it "can't" be Star Trek, but it's trying really hard. I want to like it, but something always feels a little off.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I thought this would be "okay". But this is so "Actually not bad" it borders on "Very good". There's something refreshing and 'normal' about how the characters act that contrasts with the overly brooding and angsty ways conflicts and dilemmas are usually handled in shows with a drama component.

Absalon on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Also, that they fucking got (episode 4 casting spoiler)
    Liam Neeson, wow!
    I was more happy to see James Morrison. Been a huge fan of his since Space Above and Beyond, in which he was awesome.

Liam Neesums is a pretty good get though.

• Options
    Thinking about the other people McFarlane has regularly guest starting on his shows, would the universe implode if Patric Stewart shows up?

• Options
    There have been rumors that this might actually be the case for season 1.

Let him play the guy from the flute episode, but the orville saves everyone!

Or something absolutely different from Picard... Or maybe very close to Picard?

Basically almost any possibility would be hilarious

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Thinking about the other people McFarlane has regularly guest starting on his shows, would the universe implode if Patric Stewart shows up?

I mean they work together regularly in American Dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QzMHlbFEGg

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nXLiz5g7pk

This is a favorite direct crash of jokes dealing with a holodeck. Can't find a direct clip, the only thing that seems to exist is people with cameras on their tv. We live in weird times.

He would work great on Orville, I don't think Blunt Talk is coming back which was mixed so I would think he has the time.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This episode was probably my favorite one so far. It felt a lot like an episode of Stargate, which coincidentally reminds me of the tone that I'd like this show to eventually land on. Stargate was pretty good about seamlessly blending the seriousness with some tongue 'n cheek humor.

I'm also thinking the acting on this show might be bothering me some, and the real issue on why it can't strike the tone balance that it keeps inching closer to.

I don't love this show yet, but the progress it makes each week has definitely earned it my attention for at least this first season.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think, if Sir Pat does appear on the show, there's two possibilities:
    One, a character who is to Picard as Zap Brannigan is to Kirk.
    Two, something mostly serious and very respectful of the legacy, as both he and Seth have shown they can be. Perhaps a famous admiral or ambassador who now, like Sarek or Stewart's own Xavier, is losing their faculties to dementia.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think, if Sir Pat does appear on the show, there's two possibilities:
    One, a character who is to Picard as Zap Brannigan is to Kirk.
    Two, something mostly serious and very respectful of the legacy, as both he and Seth have shown they can be. Perhaps a famous admiral or ambassador who now, like Sarek or Stewart's own Xavier, is losing their faculties to dementia.

It would be great if he were on at least 2ce a season, always as different characters.

I also had a stargate vibe because of the humor. And then also seaquest, but then I realize its because I never watched star trek in formative years and those shows probably cribbed everything from them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

I hear you. I like Family Guy, but because it's been on so long. Seth's style of humor is already known and it just gets old quick.

But yet...I still dig this show. They did the right thing by keeping the humor light. But they need to do...something to set them apart from TNG besides the light humor.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    It would be great if Sir Pat appears as several different alien characters like Andreas Katsulas.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    How about a whole race that looks like Sir Pat Stewart?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Patrick Stewart as Malloy's dad -- and equally crude, sarcastic and hilarious.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart as Malloy's dad -- and equally crude, sarcastic and hilarious.

Half Gurney Halleck, half Lord Flashheart.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    someone please tell me the breath scan isn't new.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wrong thread?

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular

It's not. They used it on the reseach ship that tried to weaponise Xenomorphs.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So, is this... good?

Ep 1 and 2 are ehhh, which is to be expected, its a bunch of character setup

Ep 3 had a bit of cringe to it and because of the issues of gender might not go over well depending, but episode 4 solidly has me sold on the series, it was basically a regular star trek episode with a slightly less professional crew. It had jokes but was basically played completely straight

Orville is definitely back to the optimism and our diversity and cooperation makes us stronger though

override367 on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    If the humor was more sophisticated, the show would be great.

They got something here though.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to watching Episode 4. Pretty sure I’m sold on the show at this point. What I think really sets it apart, which is the same thing that made TOS and TNG so great, is their willingness to take difficult issues and challenge them head on. The two most recent episodes especially, taking on gender bias and religious fundamentalism, show that they aren’t scared to tackle controversial topics. I love that. I guarantee you won’t see a Star Trek Discovery episode talking about sex changes for babies or the religious suppression of freethinkers. Those themes are at the heart of the show, and the humor only serves as a palate cleanser between the more serious moments.

Which is honestly completely the opposite of what I was expecting this show to be, and is a very pleasant surprise.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, is this... good?

Ep 1 and 2 are ehhh, which is to be expected, its a bunch of character setup

Ep 3 had a bit of cringe to it and because of the issues of gender might not go over well depending, but episode 4 solidly has me sold on the series, it was basically a regular star trek episode with a slightly less professional crew. It had jokes but was basically played completely straight

Orville is definitely back to the optimism and our diversity and cooperation makes us stronger though

In regards to Ep3, while it was always going to be problematic due to the subject matter, it was handled far better than you might expect from the words "Seth McFarlane presents: Transgender Baby In Space". We can use the first 10 minutes of the Family Guy premier for comparison here, I think.

Episode 4 definitely feels like the series is finding it's feet, and actually made me look forward to the next episode with anticipation as opposed to the quiet sense of "how bad is this going to get" that I had been feeling.