As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Speculation
    We're gonna get a "proxy war" between Ed and Kelly using Bortus and Klyden, right? Because that's what it feels like they're leading towards, especially with the latter's relationship woes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I'm completely sold on this show at this point, which being Fox means it's got at most 2 more episodes and will be cancelled in the middle of the Patrick Stewart reveal. :(

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I'm completely sold on this show at this point, which being Fox means it's got at most 2 more episodes and will be cancelled in the middle of the Patrick Stewart reveal. :(

While I share your optimistic view of Fox I have been seeing non-trek people commenting that they like the show. People who in no way would have signed up to watch discovery. It might be they are walking the line enough to draw in the general public.

It would be great to see a few seasons. I'm enjoying the show.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Since people are talking cancellation/etc, episode 4 held a rating of 1.1 in 18-49. Which isn't amazing, but it's against decent competition (thursday night football, Will and Grace), and more notably, is up from Gotham which airs before it (0.8). Not stellar, but not super bad either. Given it's also McFarlane and the pull he has at Fox, I'd say it's in "okay, relatively safe" space right now.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, great practical joke, or greatest practical joke?
    Especially hiding it in the ceiling of the guest quarters when tensions are starting to run high.
    If it hadn't been for that whole "Actually I am taking your ship" thing, that would have been even funnier.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Sir Pat should play the captain of the flagship of the Union Fleet, but instead of this paragon of virtue, make him a total asshole.

• Options
    This is just good TV.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am going to try watching this show. I've heard a lot of good things, but I wish Seth had cast anyone but himself here, because doing that makes me suspect a wank fest. I'm willing to give it a chance, though.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I just love that Jonathan Frakes directed this episode and it has such TNG commercial breaks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I just love that Jonathan Frakes directed this episode and it has such TNG commercial breaks.
    Yeah, this wasn't a TNG episode, but absolutely could have been. Really enjoying Orville.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Something I suspect no one else here will care about;
    Ugh, pronouncing Levesque as "Le-Ves_K" when it should be "Le-Vek".
    It's a fairly prominent name in Canada. There's no pronounced "S". There was a particular incident in Canadian history that brought that name to prominence.
    I like the show, but that jumped out at me every single time.

Other than that pedantic little detail, really liking this show.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It's a fairly prominent name in Canada. There's no pronounced "S". There was a particular incident in Canadian history that brought that name to prominence.

There's a strangely common trope in science fiction that
    somehow France and the French language and all things French elsewhere on Earth is always gone. For example, in Star Trek, France is there and it's famous for all the stuff it is today... But everybody has British accents and mispronounces their own names like you'd expect of monolingual English speakers.

Hevach on
  • Options
    So probably exactly what will happen in the future :)?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

somehow France and the French language and all things French elsewhere on Earth is always gone. For example, in Star Trek, France is there and it's famous for all the stuff it is today... But everybody has British accents and mispronounces their own names like you'd expect of monolingual English speakers.

Fururama explicitly calls it out a few times

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    i like that it was an episode a bit more focused on adrianna palicki's point of view - the more macfarlane uses himself as a background character the better the show is, i think

in particular when he and the other captain are reminiscing and the camera is just locked on her face

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Bit icky on the physics there... Like...
    Why even use a black hole, something people know?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Bit icky on the physics there... Like...
    Why even use a black hole, something people know?

It was a worm hole

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    wait what the heck happened at the end there
    They blow up the wormhole, and... Charlize disappears why? She said it would be like if they had never met. So then, shouldn't the ship be destroyed? Didn't make sense to me.

Also they got out of that jam oddly easily.

Practical joke was fucking hilarious.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    They blow up the wormhole, and... Charlize disappears why? She said it would be like if they had never met. So then, shouldn't the ship be destroyed? Didn't make sense to me.

Timey Wimey, wibbly wobbly...?

My guess:
    The ship was only registered as destroyed because they went to save Theron, which put them in a position to encounter the Windows 95 screensaver dark matter storm where they were recorded as being destroyed. Of course they're only registered as destroyed because Theron went back to steal their ship putting them in the position to be destroyed.

But then you have to explain why they went to the wormhole the empty sector of space where nothing interesting had ever been.

Time travel hurts my brain.

• Options
    edited October 2017

He negated her timeline not theirs otherwise They'd just loop endlessly

King Riptor on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Celebrity guest appearances abound.

Didn't realize Seth MacFarlane had such pull.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Celebrity guest appearances abound.

Didn't realize Seth MacFarlane had such pull.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Guy_guest_stars

the pool of celebrities he has joked around with is deeeeeep

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Yeah but I always figured voice work was one thing - actually showing up on-set and getting costumed-up etc. was another.

RT800 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Yeah but I always figured voice work was one thing - actually showing up on-set and getting costumed-up etc. was another.

iirc Family Guy (and I think all of his shows?) do something along the lines of live table reads for rehearsal. So it's not like a lot of voice acting where the cast never really interacts face to face and just go in the both for a few hours for each episode.

I assume this includes the guest stars maybe?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

but Picard does swear by it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_cGueuZoA

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    i like that it was an episode a bit more focused on adrianna palicki's point of view - the more macfarlane uses himself as a background character the better the show is, i think

in particular when he and the other captain are reminiscing and the camera is just locked on her face

I like her character on the whole, but I really wish they could just drop McFarlane/her history. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep trying to have her, or this episode him, rationalize away infidelity as valid because he was always busy with work. It just makes me feel icky every time if happens.

Kinda glad when Therone's character pointed out "she could have just asked for a divorce" when it was brought up as a valid reason by him here.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

paradox mechanics. with the wormhole destroyed she could never have come through and brought them to where they were, so they wouldn't have passed through the dark matter storm and been destroyed

it's a bit of a shaky example of it but it worked okay enough for Star Trek

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I like her character on the whole, but I really wish they could just drop McFarlane/her history. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep trying to have her, or this episode him, rationalize away infidelity as valid because he was always busy with work. It just makes me feel icky every time if happens.

Kinda glad when Therone's character pointed out "she could have just asked for a divorce" when it was brought up as a valid reason by him here.

20 years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly

In the interim though I've come to realize that it turns out it's not black and white and, like apparently god damned everything, it leans far more towards it's complicated

That said I do wish the show was far less on the nose about it. It doesn't really feel like any time has passed and the wounds are still too fresh for there to be any chance that they'd actually be working together.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The impression I get is that he was mostly over it when the show started, but her reappearance in his life tore the scab off, so to speak. She clearly felt terrible about what happened and wanted to find a way to make amends, hoping that both she and he were sufficiently over it to do so.

Turns out neither of them really were. Shit's complicated and messy and that's usually how it is.

I do wish there wasn't quite so much referencing it though.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

20 years ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly

In the interim though I've come to realize that it turns out it's not black and white and, like apparently god damned everything, it leans far more towards it's complicated

That said I do wish the show was far less on the nose about it. It doesn't really feel like any time has passed and the wounds are still too fresh for there to be any chance that they'd actually be working together.

it's early yet. They're still basically exploring the characters. I expect once everything is hammered out character-wise they'll move on from being quite so on the nose about it.

also this show is fucking awesome. the comedy bits are gold for the most part and it honestly feels like an updated for modern sensibilities classic star trek.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    As someone who occasionally does work requiring a Confined Space permit, I love the fact that the amorphous invertebrate is the one who performs the Jeffries tube inspections.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I love the fact that he's voiced by Norm Macdonald

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    You know, the more I think of it...
    The more I can see Data pulling a prank like that, at least if Trek had Orville's medical tech (Trek still had artificial limbs, not regenerated ones). He did almost drown Crusher in Generations trying to understand comedy.

"Data, that was -"
    "Funny?"
    *everyone slowly shakes their heads*

And as extreme as it is to our eyes, it *does* seem to inflict no lasting harm in this universe.

Hevach on
  • Options
    You know, the more I think of it...
    The more I can see Data pulling a prank like that, at least if Trek had Orville's medical tech (Trek still had artificial limbs, not regenerated ones). He did almost drown Crusher in Generations trying to understand comedy.

"Data, that was -"
    "Funny?"
    *everyone slowly shakes their heads*

And as extreme as it is to our eyes, it *does* seem to inflict no lasting harm in this universe.

He followed the rules fairly well all things considered and technically nobody was hurt

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Like some of distinctions they're making.
    No Transporters is smart. I mean every episode just turns in to a 'well why can't they just beam out this time?'.
    and limb regeneration opens up exciting possibilities for redshirting even the cast members who have a first and last name.
    Star Trek they probably would have made him get a robot leg and embrace his new nature as guy with robot leg.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    As soon as the plan was revealed
    My first argument would be "no we didnt die, because you came back and are going to make us disappear you jackass. Every event in history of missing ships is one of you going back and stealing it. Everyone thinks there dead because you go back and make them go missing You are pirates, not saviors."

I liked the resolution they went with, it was a little messy and complicated but didnt treat the viewer like they were stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Like some of distinctions they're making.
    No Transporters is smart. I mean every episode just turns in to a 'well why can't they just beam out this time?'.
    and limb regeneration opens up exciting possibilities for redshirting even the cast members who have a first and last name.
    Star Trek they probably would have made him get a robot leg and embrace his new nature as guy with robot leg.

I really like the lack of transporters, and the fact that we got to see McFarlane hold the technology in his hand, say, "Nope," and delete it from his universe.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I have no trouble pushing this to the back of my mind to enjoy something like Star Trek, but I just don't see how transporter technology isn't fundamentally disintegrating someone, then using the energy from the subatomic particles to build an exact replica at the target destination. Like, the fact you can just buffer the data and end up with a duplicate (Tom Riker) shows that the breakdown & transfer of energy is entirely superfluous to what's actually being done. It's just using replicator technology to make people. They only disintegrate the scanned template to avoid over-population.

I'm sure someone will try to make arguments referring to the ship that gradually has all its parts replaced or how "well you know, we're a different person every time we lose & subsequently regain consciousness", but that's all a wash. When you sleep or go under, the conscious part of your brain continues to function in an altered state (dreaming), so there is a contiguous first-hand experience. But there's no contiguous first hand experience in transportation*, so it's only 'the same person' from the outside perspective of others.

Of course, there's other ways to achieve the same story-telling goal that side-step this issue, such as portals through space-time.

Which is also true of most depictions of another popular sci-fi trope, the 'digital brain upload', for that matter.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I have no trouble pushing this to the back of my mind to enjoy something like Star Trek, but I just don't see how transporter technology isn't fundamentally disintegrating someone, then using the energy from the subatomic particles to build an exact replica at the target destination. Like, the fact you can just buffer the data and end up with a duplicate (Tom Riker) shows that the breakdown & transfer of energy is entirely superfluous to what's actually being done. It's just using replicator technology to make people. They only disintegrate the scanned template to avoid over-population.

I'm sure someone will try to make arguments referring to the ship that gradually has all its parts replaced or how "well you know, we're a different person every time we lose & subsequently regain consciousness", but that's all a wash. When you sleep or go under, the conscious part of your brain continues to function in an altered state (dreaming), so there is a contiguous first-hand experience. But there's no contiguous first hand experience in transportation*, so it's only 'the same person' from the outside perspective of others.

Of course, there's other ways to achieve the same story-telling goal that side-step this issue, such as portals through space-time.

Which is also true of most depictions of another popular sci-fi trope, the 'digital brain upload', for that matter.

Or hell

• Options
    It's just using replicator technology to make people. They only disintegrate the scanned template to avoid over-population.

If you want to up the Nope! a few more degrees, do you think it likely that the matter from disintegrated "outgoing" objects is kept sequestered from the rest of the replicator stores?

"The replicator's out of tea. Can you beam Ensign Davis down to the planet?"

- John Stuart Mill