As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It looks like Seth MacFarlane is leaving Fox for NBC to head up their new streaming service. I wonder what this means for this show? Does Fox own the rights or does McFarland's production company?

https://www.cbr.com/orville-family-guy-seth-macfarlane-fox-nbc/amp/

That_Guy on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    :( Yeah, I hope it doesn't mean anything bad for The Orville.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I will never understand the world where Seth McFarlane is worth $40 million a year.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    He is a creator, producer and star of multiple megahit cartoon shows + the Orville (valued at $50)

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I mean it probably spells the end for family guy at the very least. Orville and American Dad seem up in the air.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I mean it probably spells the end for family guy at the very least.

and nothing of value was lost.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I mean it probably spells the end for family guy at the very least. Orville and American Dad seem up in the air.

American Dad is already not on Fox.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that The Orville was something of a passion project for McFarlane, so I'd be surprised if this meant the death of this show in particular. Anything could happen, though, I suppose.

• Options
    I will never understand the world where Seth McFarlane is worth $40 million a year.

He owns an entire production company. He's probably worth a lot more than that.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I was under the impression that The Orville was something of a passion project for McFarlane, so I'd be surprised if this meant the death of this show in particular. Anything could happen, though, I suppose.

It's all going to depend on who owns the rights to The Orville. It's pretty common for networks to retain the rebroadcast rights to shows they air. If Seth was smart he held onto the IP itself. Honestly it's a coin flip weather he'd be allowed to continue production on another network.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Would NBC even want The Orville? It has nothing to do with either Law & Order or the Chicago public safety departments.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Would NBC even want The Orville? It was nothing to do with either Law & Order or the Chicago public safety departments.

I can't imagine them writing a check fat enough to lure McFarlane away from his collection of Fox Executive skeletons and then saying "No, you have to abandon your widely acclaimed passion project, now go be funny and make us a cartoon show, something with a talking animal and a toddler who's unnaturally intelligent for some reason."
    Granted, I'm no network executive, so maybe I'm not thinking along the same lines.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    NBC owns a large share of Hulu where The Orville is heading anyway. This might change nothing of the current plan other than who gets to collect the advertising money.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I doubt Fox has any issues letting the Orville go as long as they get to keep some ad monies and not have to eat up a premium timeslot.

Also there's a lot of hate on McFarlane but I mean the guy is 45 and one of the most successful people in entertainment, and not from a "he's an action star that's two years away from a 15 year hiatus and then some role on a tv show" kind of way.

I don't agree with a lot of his viewpoints, but he's easier to listen to than Matt Stone and Trey Parker

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'd just like to say about fucking time.

https://www.figures.com/2020/02/23/new-york-toy-fair-2020-eaglemoss-hero-collector/

Looks like the Orville and the shuttle each in the same two sizes and same pricing as their Star Trek ships ($25 standard/$75 XL).

Hevach on
  • Options
    https://shop.eaglemoss.com/us/hero-collector/the-orville-starships-collection

They're up for pre-order now, shipping in September. The XL shuttle from the con isn't there but the shuttle and ship in standard and the ship in XL are.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    $75 for that XL die-cast version doesn't seem bad at all, for a 10-inch model. I might have to go in for that.

• Options
    Their Star Trek XL ships are great, and it's the same price. Bought it in a heartbeat.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have an XL of the Enterprise-E and it is very good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    With any luck, The Orville will resume production today. Hollywood officially reopened today albeit with heavy restrictions. TrekMovie.com published an interview with the show's producers yesterday that goes into where they are at when what's going on with the show. The short version is that they are thrilled to be moving to Hulu because there are fewer restrictions on the production. The show will still be episodic but will do more payoffs for long time viewers. All post production is being done from home. They were about halfway through filming when they had to shut down. The show is being filmed using “cross-boarding,” meaning that scenes from various episodes were filmed (based on specifics like locations, actors, etc.), as opposed to shooting each episode one at a time.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/06/11/interview-tom-costantino-and-david-goodman-on-how-the-orville-season-3-will-be-a-barn-burner/

I can't wait for the next season!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I may switch from Sling to Hulu since all I care about is Orvile and What We Do in the Shadows.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    They should write a special episode where they need to social distance for whatever reason in season 3. Makes the filming easier and there is quite many funny situations they could explore on the ship.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Space herpes.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Space herpes.

Mercer: "How does the WHOLE SHIP have an STD?"
    Gordon: *just gestures vaguely around*

• Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    They should write a special episode where they need to social distance for whatever reason in season 3. Makes the filming easier and there is quite many funny situations they could explore on the ship.

I like the idea of two characters getting stuck facing each other in an otherwise empty corridor, unable to maintain 6 feet between them in the 7 foot wide corridor to pass, but each needing to get to the other side of the ship and desiring to take the most direct route for reasons. Maybe they're alien ambassadors from an extremely literal minded race who, when the order went out for all non-essential personnel to return to their quarters immediately by the most direct route while maintaining minimum safe distances, maybe just two bull headed crew members. Hopefully they wouldn't decide that's another idiot ball for the Moclins to play with.

Don't see it as an A plot, most likely. But I could see it working as a C plot.
    Maybe bump it up to a B-plot if the ambassadors are representatives of currently warring species who, after spending a ship wide quarantine talking to each other in an empty corridor, break through their societal differences and broker the beginnings of a peace treaty, or at least a cease fire.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Hopefully they wouldn't decide that's another idiot ball for the Moclins to play with.

Bortus and Klyden stuck in a corridor, gotcha.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Throw Bortus out the airlock this season and pause on Moclan stories all together.

Unless it's a female Moclan fighter pilot who sings Dolly Parton while dogfighting.

That scene of just vibing with Nine to Five while space battling was the best!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Actually, if it's for a female Moclan crew member, I say give the Bortus and Klyden show one more episode. Orville has touched on a lot of poorly explored social issues, but that opens up an even less explored one, but one that might be more important in a way.

Basically, have Bortus be uncomfortable working with her and freak out. Klyden throws it in his face because Bortus isn't as righteous as he thought and therefore was wrong all along.

Human crew teaches him about the real nature of bigotry and how being a good person isn't being pure of mind but recognizing when the monkey brain inserts itself and overcoming it. As an example Mercer admits to having an unfair judgement about some member of the crew, they start sharing similar thoughts until somebody offends somebody and they start using the "sharing" to go around the table insulting each other.

End of the episode, sure, freak shuttlecraft accident kills Bortus and Klyden and destroys their homeworld.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Actually, if it's for a female Moclan crew member, I say give the Bortus and Klyden show one more episode. Orville has touched on a lot of poorly explored social issues, but that opens up an even less explored one, but one that might be more important in a way.

Basically, have Bortus be uncomfortable working with her and freak out. Klyden throws it in his face because Bortus isn't as righteous as he thought and therefore was wrong all along.

Human crew teaches him about the real nature of bigotry and how being a good person isn't being pure of mind but recognizing when the monkey brain inserts itself and overcoming it. As an example Mercer admits to having an unfair judgement about some member of the crew, they start sharing similar thoughts until somebody offends somebody and they start using the "sharing" to go around the table insulting each other.

End of the episode, sure, freak shuttlecraft accident kills Bortus and Klyden and destroys their homeworld.

I like that end of episode. A thought though: What if, instead of just destroying the homeworld, it gets completely removed from time. Next season is just reshooting the first two seasons, sans moclan. Once you take the Moclan episodes out (yeah, even the one where he has to go home to piss), you should be able to hit most of the story beats in a single season.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    New season should have the first episode cold open be a discussion of this big thing happening centered on the Moclan homeworld and how they should really go deal with it, then at the last second Mercer just goes "you know what? That's a dumb planet, let's never go there again."

To which Klyden spins to give Mercer an inscrutable, silent look, turns back to his console, says "agreed", and then the show neeeeever goes there again.

• Options
    I for one hope they do a multiseason arc where they go from being lead by angry misogynists to an enlightened female similar to how DS9 made Rom The Grand Negus in DS9. I think The Orville's Moclans have a lot of good stories ahead of them.

They were specifically designed to elicit negative feelings in people. You aren't supposed to like them. in fact I'd go so far as to say that the show comes out firmly against their ideology. I think it would be a real waste to just write them out of the series.

• Options
    At a minimum, a couple of seasons completely without them would a be a nice balance against two seasons that featured them way too much. The Krill stuff was far more interesting and entertaining than repeated Moclan episodes, because even the fucking Krill appear to have some amount of reason despite being xenophobic genocidal assholes.

I could see the Krill coming around and realizing their whole "kill everyone that isn't Krill" way of life is bullshit, but the Moclans seem a straight-up dead-end going fucking nowhere and I couldn't care less about seeing more of that.

• Options
    Nah. More Moclans, the better.

Give us a sitcom spin-off about a Moclan family living in earth suburbs.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »
    Nah. More Moclans, the better.

Give us a sitcom spin-off about a Moclan family living in earth suburbs.

With their eating habits and mannerisms isn't this basically Coneheads?

• Options
    Or Third rock from the sun.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Throw Bortus out the airlock this season and pause on Moclan stories all together.

Unless it's a female Moclan fighter pilot who sings Dolly Parton while dogfighting.

That scene of just vibing with Nine to Five while space battling was the best!

Full disclosure. I mixed up my Moclans.

Kill Klyden, keep Bortus and give him back his moustache.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Good news, the most difficult part (due to COVID etc) is done, they have wrapped, and now we wait for however long post-production takes:

• Options
    Oh damn. I has pretty much given up hope that they'd ever be able to finish the final season. I fell in love with the first 2 seasons and was pretty disappointed it is only getting 1 more. I was really hoping all the Disney stuff would somehow save the show but when they dumped it on Hulu I knew that was it. Shame too. It's a great show. We are sorely lacking in happy optimistic space operas these days.

As much as I love it, The Expanse is dower and angry. STD is downright depressing. Picard started out decent but quickly sit the bed. Mado is great but also dark and angry most of the time. There's another dozen or more angry, poorly written space operas strewn across the streaming services but none are even worthy of note, much less enjoyable to watch.

I have hope that Strange New Worlds will be a little happier and optimistic but I'm not going to hold my breath until I see an episode or 2. Outside of that, The Orville is the last of its kind. RIP

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I don't think it is confirmed anywhere that this is the final season. It might be in the end, but I haven't heard of any definitive plans one way or the other.