As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

PeenPeen Registered User regular
Hey! Are you happy with your body? Probably not, thanks to popular culture's messaging and stereotypes! But wait! There are things you can do to change your body, both in the short and long term, and that could make you happier and potentially contribute to your longevity and good health. Let's talk about them!

Maybe you run? Would you like to? Let's talk about it!

Maybe you strength train? There's a whole other thread for that, but you can talk about it here if you like!

Maybe you do some other kind of exercise like yoga or skipping or jai alai? We can talk about those!

And maybe you think exercise is for the birds and just want to work on eating right? We can talk about that too!

Everyone should have the body that they want and we should help each other achieve our goals!

Thread Disclaimer: Nobody here is a doctor and if you have health concerns, you should go see one. We also may have different opinions about what "in-shape" is and what the ideal body type is and that's ok.

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Thanks for this, Peen! :)

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Brogey wrote: »
    Thanks for this, Peen! :)

XaU1KY1.gif

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sweet I didn't have to make a thread!

edited September 2017
    So my fitness pal is working out pretty well.

I'm not 100% sure on the exact goals set but recording everything at least keeps me more mindful of what and how much I am eating. I'm also getting pretty good at balancing out my macros.

Gunna be talking to the doctor soon to get a clearer idea on what I should be doing as far as daily intake and macro goals goes, but everything I'm reading and using calculators on puts everything in range of what I'm hitting on a general day to day basis.

Damn near 200g of protien is fuckin hard to come by, especially without a bunch of fat and/or carbs coming along for the ride. Tuna is essentially my life right now is what I'm saying.

Sleep on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm still losing weight (thanks again fitness pal), but I'm wondering if I'm still lacking a proper diet. I don't include any vegetables with my meals....I just eat the same stuff I've eaten before while being mindful of the portions.

This week I've been suffering a lot of physical and mental defects, like lack of energy, tiredness, nervousness, dread, an appetite that goes in and out...

This could be a psychological hang-up (which I'm also looking into), but it's also been suggested that it's also my lack of veggies. I do take a multivitamin each day, but that might not be enough.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    So like

I decided to take MFPs calorie recommendations for a couple of months and see what happened and the result was that I fucked up my metabolism and didn't lose a single pound of weight because their recommendations are fucking stupid. Use with caution.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I suspect the calorie recommendation in these fitness apps is mostly "what's the minimum number we can give someone to avoid liability?"

They're probably not actually good for losing weight at all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Yeah I've been looking at a few different sources so as to not place my complete faith in a tech company that makes a moderately useful food/workout diary app.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm on week 4 of Couch To 5K and its going well!

Apparently there's an app for those in America but it costs $5? Here is the NHS website to download for free http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Sleep wrote: »
    Yeah I've been looking at a few different sources so as to not place my complete faith in a tech company that makes a moderately useful food/workout diary app.

I've found it really useful for tracking, but throw it's actual recommendations out of the fucking window. Trust me, I did the experiment and took the hit even though I thought the calorie count recommendation was stupid. Turns out: it's stupid.

Tube wrote: »

I've found it really useful for tracking, but throw it's actual recommendations out of the fucking window. Trust me, I did the experiment and took the hit even though I thought the calorie count recommendation was stupid. Turns out: it's stupid.

If you don't mind, which direction was it stupid in? Too high or way too low. Cause it seems way too low.

If you don't mind, which direction was it stupid in? Too high or way too low. Cause it seems way too low.

I'm 85kg and train four times a week and it suggested 1500 calories. Which like, maybe if I had a bodybuilding and was two weeks out. Aside from that it's a pretty bad suggestion and I honestly should have said "this is dumb" but thought I'd see what happened.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that's fucking nuts.

1500 calories

wuuuuuuuttttt

I couldn't get it to give me below 1900 without fudging a whole lot of numbers

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    1500 calories

wuuuuuuuttttt

I couldn't get it to give me below 1900 without fudging a whole lot of numbers

All I have to do to get a 1500 suggestion is to give my actual answer to my activity level based on my job, which is no activity (I sit for like 7 to 8 hours a day at work... often straight through the 6 hour mark). While also setting my self for maximum fat burn.

I've set myself above that because I walk something like 4 to 6 miles a day, at a pretty decent pace (north station to south station to and from work), and do strength training and additional cardio work 3 days a week. I Also rarely sit for more than 20 minutes straight while outside of work.

Like tonight is D&D night so I'm going to ruck about 20 pounds of books and supplies over a mile getting to and from game, and stand for the 4 hours that I run game for. MFP would add my walking burn, but that would probably put me at about 2,000 maybe for the whole day...

I said fuck that immediately because i nail 1500 by the end of lunch.

Yep, I had it set to 4 90 minute workouts a week with a sedentary job and that's where it hit me. It's macros were fucking stupid too. Don't trust these things.

I mean...

I've lost over 16 pounds thanks to the MFP app.

I've often wondered the accuracy of its calorie counts and recommendations, but....I did lose 16 pounds so far.

Shrug?

edited September 2017
    Yeah Ive been digging in on the macros but no one can really fuckin agree on it as far as I can tell. Especially if you are looking for a like baseline "what to do every day" because shit changes depending on if it is a workout day or not.

Sleep on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think the calorie recommendations are useful at least as a starting point. If you have no frame of reference at all, you can see what eating a set number of calories does to your body and go from there. I always had to nudge the MFP recommendation down a titch to see consistent loss but it was also telling me to eat 1900-200 calories, never any 1500. That's bonkers.

I always interpreted the calorie counter (which is 2040 for me by the way) as a limit line: as long as you don't exceed the limit, you'll lose weight.

Seems to be working, but I constantly wonder at what point I'll need to adjust it.

I mean...

I've lost over 16 pounds thanks to the MFP app.

I've often wondered the accuracy of its calorie counts and recommendations, but....I did lose 16 pounds so far.

Shrug?

Dude the other day I realized I've lost 100 pounds in just over a year while eating some amount of bacon almost every single day.

Health is fuckin wacky sometimes.

I'm personally excited when I get down to the 220s.

I haven't been that weight since high school. Any lower and we're talking middle school even.

My motivation for running has been at an all-time low, but since my cycling commute got cut nearly in half this month, my need for it is probably at an all-time high.

I'm going to drag myself out there tonight and try not to take any more chunks out of my flesh.

tynic wrote: »
    My motivation for running has been at an all-time low, but since my cycling commute got cut nearly in half this month, my need for it is probably at an all-time high.

I'm going to drag myself out there tonight and try not to take any more chunks out of my flesh.

Chunks of flesh? Sounds like a good weight loss strategy.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Nic takes cutting seriously.

... next time I'll try and fall on my hips.

Those pictures were pretty gruesome.

one of my friends said "40% of your facebook is just pictures of you bleeding"

she's not wrong.

is the other 60% allergic reactions to bug bites?

10% bug bites, 50% Jeff Goldblum memes.

And people have a problem with this?

Who won't suffer a little gore for some quality golblum. That's practically the dosing instructions for premium golblum

Funny enough, I had spoken to a dermatoligist about erasing my stretch marks that I've had since I was a kid. He recommended to wait until I've hit my "peak" weight (or until I reach a point where I'm satisfied), which he'll then administer a non-surgical treatment that involves lasers shedding off excess flab and skin.

Sounds kind of scary, but he insisted it was 100% safe and would show dramatic results. It would be nice to finally be done with these handles. I may be 16 pounds lighter, and lots of people have commented on my leaner frame, but I'd really like to get these hips done away with.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

I'm 85kg and train four times a week and it suggested 1500 calories. Which like, maybe if I had a bodybuilding and was two weeks out. Aside from that it's a pretty bad suggestion and I honestly should have said "this is dumb" but thought I'd see what happened.

Yeah MFP recommends me 1200 calories a day, which.... that gets used up pretty damn quickly. I mean sure, I'm a short lady, but come the fuck on now

I think the only real way to find out your maintenance is just to try a sensible seeming calorie count and then stick to it for a month and see what happens to your weight. Boring, but...

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think the only real way to find out your maintenance is just to try a sensible seeming calorie count and then stick to it for a month and see what happens to your weight. Boring, but...

2lbs a week weight loss, thats a pretty good target to shoot for, and build your calorie intake around that. Always better to start a bit high on calories and work down, so you don't fuck yourself up with malnutrition.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    That's not really the same thing as finding maintenance though.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That's not really the same thing as finding maintenance though.

I should have read better, thought we were talking about weightloss, not maintenance.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Oh no worries dude! I was just a little confused. I fully agree with the 2lbs of weightloss p/w thing for weightloss.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I don't know.
    I feel like 2lbs/week is good for 10-20 pounds of weight loss.

But I'm on a thing to lose ~100 pounds, and one month I'll lose about 15-18 pounds, then it takes my body like 3 more months of getting used to the new weight plateau, doing the same / better diet and exercise, before I start losing weight again.

I feel like if you're looking to lose significant amounts of weight, 2lbs/week may become an unsustainable goal pretty quickly.

Psykoma on
This discussion has been closed.