As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I've been really lucky so far with cholesterol but it hasn't been a huge issue in my entire family.

I have high blood pressure though, when I lost all that weight in 2016 the walking really helped, they even had me off the beta blocker for a while there. Walking is great cardio and I think it's really fun too if you can make it to a park or something.

I can't wait to start again when this recovery is all done.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I need a healthy snack for late afternoon. I've done celery sticks and baby carrots but am bored of both so wanted some suggestions on something healthy, low calorie and that I can eat while driving without causing a safety issue. Being tasty would be a bonus, but I mainly just want something small to tide me over between lunch and supper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I got a new belt

A smaller one

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Hmmm seems my IT Band has some thoughts on my current exercise regimen... it seems none too happy i tell ya whut.

Stretching seems to be helping so I'm probably just super tight and need to get to RICE asap but its a pretty annoying bit of pain.

Ughhhhh I had an IT band issue that bothered me for close to 6 months. Couldn't do anything more strenuous than a brisk stroll without it acting up. :bro:

I'm luckin out i noticed the issue stretched it out took the weight down on the squat about 15% and got myself a deep tissue massage and it seems to have died down.

I think I just made a mistake with a downhill sprint for a train.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    After seven hours on the bike I'm here to report that google maps is off it's fucking nut.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I awesome'd but also agree. Googlemaps is bonkers, particularly regarding bike paths.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Yeah my go to is usually to make a route on strava and check it with Strava's heat map tool. If the road two blocks over is super popular and the one it auto routed isn't, there's probably a reason.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah my go to is usually to make a route on strava and check it with Strava's heat map tool. If the road two blocks over is super popular and the one it auto routed isn't, there's probably a reason.

... I've had strava for years and didn't realise this was a thing.
    I'm a fucking idiot.

edit: though looking at it now, the route I ended up taking (which was NOT the one google wanted me to take, because that included an old railway line that had been blocked off an overgrown for what looked like a decade), was actually the most preferred.

I like that according to the heatmap the area between Nahant and Medford/Somerville is mostly "just ... just don't." Can confirm, it is a fucking nightmare.

tynic on
  • Options
    ok weird.

I'm down to 357 this morning. I dunno why all this weight is coming off of me. I've lost like close to 20lbs in two weeks.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    ok weird.

I'm down to 357 this morning. I dunno why all this weight is coming off of me. I've lost like close to 20lbs in two weeks.

Maybe your body was retaining liquid due to the stress from your kidney stones? I'm a big guy too and we can retain a lot of water! If you still don't have too much of an appetite try make sure to eat an orange or something so you don't miss out on some key vitamins.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I started Keto/Low-Carb at the start of July and as of this weekend I have gone from 315 to 283. I wasn't expecting to hit that number until like, October.

Guess my new goal is 250...

Need to try and eat more plant-based stuff though, and less meat and cheese.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Lentils, beans, squash, and tofu/saitan can all be used to make some pretty hearty stuff, and if you're in the Northern hemisphere you'll have the weather changing soon and that's good incentive to make soups and stews. Cutting back on meat and cheese is weird at first but it's kinda great once you're into it and much easier on your wallet.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Lentils, beans, squash, and tofu/saitan can all be used to make some pretty hearty stuff, and if you're in the Northern hemisphere you'll have the weather changing soon and that's good incentive to make soups and stews. Cutting back on meat and cheese is weird at first but it's kinda great once you're into it and much easier on your wallet.

Those are all pretty carb heavy though. Since I am doing Keto those are pretty much out for the moment. I'm angling for more avocado, olive oil, above-ground veggies like broccoli and cauliflower.

• Options
    Weird.

I finally took a good trip to the bathroom this morning. Got curious, apparently I'm actually at 355.

• Options
    Google fit underwent some kind of massive overhaul. They've added things called "heart points".

It sounds exciting but I'm not sure I quite understand the algorithm they're using here, tbh. Maybe I'm just heartless.

nv0vflqf4km1.png

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It appears you are a heartless misfit.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Google fit underwent some kind of massive overhaul. They've added things called "heart points".

It sounds exciting but I'm not sure I quite understand the algorithm they're using here, tbh. Maybe I'm just heartless.

nv0vflqf4km1.png

An hour ride is 3 points and a 10 min walk is 10? I can min max that one, but it's not gonna make you healthier...

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Doing research on keto or some other low carb diet. I kind of want to give it a shot, see what happens. I'm sure there's plenty of phone apps to help keep track of stuff.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Madican wrote: »
    Doing research on keto or some other low carb diet. I kind of want to give it a shot, see what happens. I'm sure there's plenty of phone apps to help keep track of stuff.

I use an app called Carb Manager that I like quite a bit.

I can recommend some recipes too if it helps.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

nv0vflqf4km1.png

An hour ride is 3 points and a 10 min walk is 10? I can min max that one, but it's not gonna make you healthier...

Maybe it's like golf? Low score wins?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'll check that app out. And sure, I'm down for some recommended recipes

• Options

I'll check that app out. And sure, I'm down for some recommended recipes

Here, in no particular order, some recipes I have found that I like. Apologies for the wall'o'text.
    -Cheese buns for burgers: https://imgur.com/gallery/4vxe9ZT
    Sometimes I don't bother with the cheese buns and just have a burger patty on its own, but these work pretty well.

-Pepper-Jack Brussel Sprouts: https://www.ruled.me/one-pan-pepper-jack-brussels-sprouts/
    I have stolen this cheese sauce recipe and now use it basically for any frozen or fresh veggies I pick up from the store. Makes a great side dish.

-Meatballs: https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-meatballs-alla-parmigiana/
    I make these with Turkey because I tend to end up needing more Protein than Fat at the end of the day.

-Mousse: https://lowcarbediem.com/easy-keto-chocolate-mousse/
    These are a nicer sweet thing/fat bomb recipe that is pretty easy to make.

-Avocado & Eggs: https://damndelicious.net/2016/10/05/baked-eggs-in-avocado/
    Customize these however you like, makes a nice hot breakfast.

-Pumpkin Bread: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/low-carb-pumpkin-bread/
    I have become somewhat... addicted to these. I make them as muffins and they are a perfect grab-n-go breakfast on my way out the door in the mornings.

There are also a few products that helped me transition over, and are good for convenience. I have no affiliation to any of these brands.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9VJB54/ - Decent oatmeal substitute. I use butter and way less water.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0799CFRDZ/ - Quite good. Keep them in the freezer, taste just like a normal dark chocolate bar
    https://www.flatoutbread.com/ - I get these at my grocery store and they are good for sandwich wraps or as the crust for a small pizza
    https://mooncheese.com/ - Found them at Starbucks, I eat them instead of popcorn for movies
    https://halotop.com/flavors/ - It's about as low carb as ice cream gets without making it yourself (with appropriate portioning). I like the chocolate and the red velvet. I can't have it every day, but often on weekends I can budget some carbs for it.

Other things I found helpful:
    -Chipotle. You can customize the heck out of their stuff so you can get a salad there that works great
    -Subway/Quiznos. You can customize a salad super easy.
    -Hawaiian BBQ. Kalua Pork at places like L&L is usually keto friendly as long as you don't get the rice or macaroni salad. (and maybe ask for light on the cabbage)
    -Burger patty with cheese or a quick omelette as a tired, work-night meal goes a long way.
    -Sous Vide. Friend of mine gave me a sous vide machine a while back and I have found a ton of use for it. I make chicken breasts or chuck roast on the weekends and use the meat for lunches. Usually just in a container with some cheese and veggies and maybe a little ranch or sauce. I highly recommend if you have the ability to get one.

Overall I have had some good success with it. I think the main reason for that is just the calorie counting and portion control. But this does help remove the temptation of sugar and bread for me, and I do feel it has helped me lose weight a bit faster than I would have with calorie counting alone. I definitely wish I had bigger portions of some stuff.

I spent about the first two weeks in a constant state of 'research', tracking down the nutritional information for various restaurants and food items. Now along with the app I've built up a decent selection of options.

Ongoing experiments:
    Enjococado Sauce - Still perfecting the recipe based on a local restaurant. If I can get it right I will share on here because the original is amazing.
    Keto Flan - Working on this over the upcoming weekend probably.
    Ice cream sandwiches - Macarons can be made Keto with the right supplies, although they aren't quite perfect. Going to make some homemade vanilla ice cream sweetened with Stevia or something for the ice cream part.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

nv0vflqf4km1.png

Recent reviews on the google app site say that the fitness tracking program is more inaccurate with the recent update, and the accelerometer might not be responding to bicycling correctly

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This summer I've been going for 5k walks probably 6 nights (after sundown, because the sun and I are not on speaking terms) a week, trying to get my stamina up and getting more physical activity.

I did fuck all last week when I was on vacation, but this week I got back into it, and tried to include some jogging because I began feeling as refreshed after the 5k walk as I did before, and wanted to up it a bit.

I just checked on google maps and I was somehow able to jog for 2km of the 5km total, which is about 1.5km more than I expected to be able to manage. Granted my jogging is only like 10-20% faster than my walking, it definitely left me more sweaty than just walking so I'm counting that as good

Psykoma on
  • Options
    So oddly from the adding the jogging in, it's not my legs which are getting sore the next day, it's actually my shoulderblades, ankles, and "abs".
    The stretches I have and do aren't the most effective for those.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Shoulders seems odd to me. You can get good stretches though by leaning one side against a wall or pole, then stretching out the other arm and twisting. Hard to explain exactly, I'll find a video.

Edit: can't find the exact one. But there's good videos for use wall corners for both shoulders at once

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How are you holding your arms and shoulders when you run? A friend of mine sort of hunches up and goes all Tyrannosaurus Rex when she runs, and after a long run she gets all kinds of shoulder and neck pain. Hence why she's working with a running coach at her gym to try and train herself out of the habit.

• Options
    I don't think I hunch when jogging, but will verify when I next go back out.

I do hunch while sitting a lot, which I know is really not good.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    My running form is solid through 5k.

It wavers in and out through 10k.

After that, the aforementioned T-Rex style kicks in, plus tunnel vision.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    StradeStrade Registered User regular
    I do tend to raise my hands when i'm running, i know for the best weight balance it is recommended to do a 90 degree to the front from the elbow, right?
    Then the weight helps with the flow in the process, but i find it more comforting to have my hands up there like in a boxing match XD

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've been working out the whole summer, and with that and proper diet I've been able to go off my BP meds.

It absolutely wreaked havoc with body fluids though, and I basically have spent the latter of August losing the last ten pounds all over again. Today I hit a new weight low for the first time in 2.5 weeks (by two-tenths of a pound, but shit I'll take it) so hopefully I'm back to regularly scheduled programming.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    -
    Sterica wrote: »
    I've been working out the whole summer, and with that and proper diet I've been able to go off my BP meds.

It absolutely wreaked havoc with body fluids though, and I basically have spent the latter of August losing the last ten pounds all over again. Today I hit a new weight low for the first time in 2.5 weeks (by two-tenths of a pound, but shit I'll take it) so hopefully I'm back to regularly scheduled programming.

This is the exact reason I started my diet. I had to start taking blood pressure meds and I would like to push back the time in which I have to take a pill every day.

Also congrats!

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Went to the gym today for the first time in a while. At first I was feeling pretty good, had even worked out what felt like a pinched nerve in my lower back

Then I was doing barbell squats and in the third set, I heard/felt a "cronch" right around that lower back spot. I was able to recover, put all the weights back, then walked on the treadmill for a while. But uh... I'm kind of nervous about what that awful sound was. Back pain is nothing new, I've had it on and off for years, and right now I'm still moving around with only minor soreness, but I'm worried about what it's going to feel like when I wake up tomorrow. To complicate matters further, I'm moving out of the country in about 10 days and I don't know if that's enough time to find a back doctor and make an appointment.

Anyway, I hope I didn't ruin my spine today!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I'm guessing if you did something real bad you'd know already

Maybe you just gave yourself a free chiropractor style back crack

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Well, I woke up to what feels like the standard amount of back pain, so I think I may have dodged a bullet there.
    I think I may make an appointment with a doctor after I'm done moving though...

• Options
    I just managed to go 4.5 km of my 5km path jogging, and I'm pretty happy with that. I need to get new leggings with a phone pocket, because the weight of my phone is dropping my curreny ones down my ass as I run now :#

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Awesome'd for the running, not the unintentional flashing...

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    As much as I'm on PA, and as much as I've been into fitness stuff the last year, I've somehow never looked for a health thread! Been enjoying reading some of your posts. Congrats to everyone who has made awesome progress =).

I've been doing a lot of cooking lately. Specifically keto-friendly cooking. I've never been much of a cook, but I've found that when I have bad cravings, if I cook, it totally kills those cravings. It is what has finally kept me from falling back into my cycle of "lose weight, have a bad meal, snowball, put the weight back on." It's nice to finally have overcome that after several years of struggling to get it under control. Even if I don't eat what I cook, it helps. Hell, I've given away more food (usually keto desserts) than I eat myself. I usually just make sure it's tasty and then give it out to get feedback.
    Finally, a use for my Instagram... to post food photos that no one will ever see =p. And to think I rolled my eyes at people taking pictures of their food all these years.

I'm most proud of my pizza and tacos; everything made from scratch. And while the taco shells were delicious, it was WAY too much effort. I'd rather just eat the filling from a bowl for as long as it took.
    And I have PERFECTED (imo) my keto PB cups =).
    PLbCNKI.jpg
    H6hNnMp.jpg
    RYELP40.jpg

Anyway, I got all the way up to freakin' 265 and am now 215. Woot!

On a workout note, I have some joint issues that really get in the way of my progression in the gym. My joints give out way before my muscles in most cases. It's very frustrating. Does anyone have any compression sleeves that they would recommend? There are so many out there, I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any specific good luck with a brand. Elbow ones, specifically, but I'm glad to hear any feedback.

• Options
    I assume that you are making cheesebread or cloudbread there?

Yeah I have stopped doing that as well, I'll just eat the stuff by itself, save myself the energy.

I have worked out a relatively decent Keto Flan though.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I assume that you are making cheesebread or cloudbread there?

Yeah I have stopped doing that as well, I'll just eat the stuff by itself, save myself the energy.

I have worked out a relatively decent Keto Flan though.

I figure I'll save the shells for if I have fitness friends who are having a party or something. Like I said, DELICIOUS, but you have to make them one at a time in the skillet, each one several minutes per.

Yeah the pizza stuff is close to fathead dough. Took me several times to get it right, but I feel like I really have it nailed now.

I never thought about a keto flan, but I bet that is tasty.

This discussion has been closed.