As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    yeah just eat a good variety of foods with a selection of fresh veggies and fruits, plus some fish now and then if you're into that, and you're golden

The caveat to that is if your doctor proscribes you something specific to deal with a deficiency.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    It can actually be pretty easy to hit your daily vitamin goal too.

Some fruits and vegetables basically have the daily requirement in one serving.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Fish oil has a notable effect on my quality of life

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    anecdotally it's been fucking great for me as well, but I don't think there has been any definitive proof that as a supplement it's effective for anything other than a mild anti-inflammatory (granted it's been a couple years since I've spent time looking into it)
    *e: my doctor supports me taking it, regardless of the evidence or lack there of

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Most of my aches and pains disappear after a few weeks of taking fish oil. Maybe it’s a placebo, if so it’s working

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Most of my aches and pains disappear after a few weeks of taking fish oil. Maybe it’s a placebo, if so it’s working

I feel just "better" in general when I'm taking that and calcium/vit-d supplements.

Maybe it's a placebo but placebos work too so whatever at that point.

I feel like the calcium/vit-d combo does wonder up north where the sunshine is shitty anyways.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yup. The thing to remember about placebos is that they DO work. Sadly like most things in life studies have actually shown the more expensive they are, the more likely you are to feel they worked. So must supplements and all homeopathy is still a con, but almost kinda not sometimes, but certainly not for the reasons advertised.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Large quantities of fish oil absolutely have a documented anti-inflammatory effect. If you exercise regularly it's fantastic, there's no downside.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'd worry that how badly fish oil smells (outside the capsules) would somehow do the same to me

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

A nurse friend of mine does a lot of reading on the subject (we have access to a huge research database at work) and has been seeing a lot of studies that say it's great for anti-inflammatory purposes. I couldn't tell you exactly which studies though.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So this might be a dumb question but I'm curious about something:

Why do I not seem to have random bouts of muscle weakness? I can usually do 3 sets of 15 push-ups (slowly adding more) and yet sometimes I get to ten and my arms feel exhausted. I'm giving myself plenty time to rest so no idea what's going on.

Also I seem to have hit a barrier in my jogging. I was following the guide and managing it relatively fine until week 5. It has 3 runs - 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 walk, 5 jog, 5 walk and five jog. I can do it though it gets a bit hard.

Second run is 5 walk, 8 run, 5 walk, 8 run. First time I mostly managed it with some momentary slows. Third run was just straight 20 minutes and I made it maybe 11 minutes. Since I failed I started the week over - run one went ok, if somewhat hard but run 2 I did even worse the second time - only jogged maybe five minutes of the second eight minute jog.

I think part of the problem is I only have the neighborhood to run around and it's not exactly level. Not sure how much the change of down hill to up hill affects things but I imagine it doesn't help.

tl;dr - I'm not expecting super fast results but I'm having trouble maintaining progress I've already made.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »

Why do I not seem to have random bouts of muscle weakness? I can usually do 3 sets of 15 push-ups (slowly adding more) and yet sometimes I get to ten and my arms feel exhausted. I'm giving myself plenty time to rest so no idea what's going on.

Also I seem to have hit a barrier in my jogging. I was following the guide and managing it relatively fine until week 5. It has 3 runs - 5 minute walk, 5 minute jog, 5 walk, 5 jog, 5 walk and five jog. I can do it though it gets a bit hard.

Second run is 5 walk, 8 run, 5 walk, 8 run. First time I mostly managed it with some momentary slows. Third run was just straight 20 minutes and I made it maybe 11 minutes. Since I failed I started the week over - run one went ok, if somewhat hard but run 2 I did even worse the second time - only jogged maybe five minutes of the second eight minute jog.

I think part of the problem is I only have the neighborhood to run around and it's not exactly level. Not sure how much the change of down hill to up hill affects things but I imagine it doesn't help.

tl;dr - I'm not expecting super fast results but I'm having trouble maintaining progress I've already made.

Hows your sleep and eating? Getting enough recovery time? Changed up your diet?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Sleep isn't great, but I get at least 5-6 hours during the week. Weekends closer to 8-9.

What I have been doing is running M/W/F and strength training T/R/S. I take Sundays off from both. I was considering putting really light jogs in on my strength training days to see if that'd help.

I have trouble with carbs since I have a wheat sensitivity and haven't found a great replacement. I also don't eat a ton during the week, I don't get hungry much. I've been working on it but I couldn't really give you a calorie count.

Edit: Also I can't get planking/ab improvements to save my life.

Magus` on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, it's been about 5 weeks since i hit my goal, and since then i kinda just stopped worrying about sticking to a diet, and have just been letting things go, while still trying to stick with 3 meals a day (although i am snacking a bit on fruit and weet-bix a bit). Since then i've lost 2 kilos, which is fine, but I think i've probably got to increase what I eat at breakfast and lunch, since they've stayed pretty similar to what I was eating when I was heavily dieting, and I've mostly just increased what I've been eating for dinner.

I occasionally add half a can of beans to my egg on toast in the morning, or an avocado, if they are cheap. And my lunch is normally still weetbix and fruit, with either milk or yoghurt. Both of those are pretty small, and I should possibly try something a bit more.

Like, I've still got a bit of a gut, and I've got quite a bit of work left to go to build my strength and stamina back up after I missed out on a bunch of gym stuff, but I'm mostly trying to maintain the weight I am because a) I just bought a whole lot of new clothes and I kinda want them to fit for a while, but also b) I don't care too much about getting super fit, and don't mind staying at a weight where I can accommodate big events and parties without fluctuating too much.

• Options

3 sets of 15 is quite a lot. I'd bet you could get more out of them by making sure you're going down as far as you can, rather than cranking out more reps. My suspicion (I could be wrong! maybe you're just jacked!) is that you might be using a smaller range of motion than you could. Push ups have a reputation as a super simple exercise but the form actually has a lot of finesse to it.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sleep isn't great, but I get at least 5-6 hours during the week. Weekends closer to 8-9.

What I have been doing is running M/W/F and strength training T/R/S. I take Sundays off from both. I was considering putting really light jogs in on my strength training days to see if that'd help.

I have trouble with carbs since I have a wheat sensitivity and haven't found a great replacement. I also don't eat a ton during the week, I don't get hungry much. I've been working on it but I couldn't really give you a calorie count.

Easier said than done, but try to get more sleep. Also, get the my fitness pro app and try to log your food for a week or two. A lot of the time it's specifically those two things. Not eating enough while not sleeping enough? Prime reason why you wouldn't have the energy.

Edit: And you're doing 6 days a week. Definitely doable, but really relies on your ability to recover and repair.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I take offense to this!l

• Options

3 sets of 15 is quite a lot. I'd bet you could get more out of them by making sure you're going down as far as you can, rather than cranking out more reps. My suspicion (I could be wrong! maybe you're just jacked!) is that you might be using a smaller range of motion than you could. Push ups have a reputation as a super simple exercise but the form actually has a lot of finesse to it.

It's entirely possible. I try to get spot checked for form when I can but it's not available often. I'll do the lower instead of more strategy.

Mr. Buttons: I'll try the app out. I just wake up a lot during the night and usually can't fall back asleep if I wake up past 5:30/6a. It's connected to my job because that shit doesn't happen during the weekend. I do six days a week since I don't feel like I'm really pushing myself each day as much as I could. I've researched different at home workouts but outside my jogging plan I haven't found a great set of exercises for strength training. Too many options and I worry I'm not doing half of them right.

Sleep: You know what you did.

Also, in case it matters at all I'm 6' 7"/200cm and 230-235lbs/104-107kgs.

• Options
    Wow, only 104 now? That's really good for your monstrous height dude, congrats! If I remember rightly you used to be a lot heavier.

I'd mildly disagree with mister buttons that if your resistance training is mainly things like pushups you can probably do that three days a week (with your cardio on the other days) without burying the fatigue needle too badly.

One of the unfortunate problems with bodyweight stuff in particular is that it's hard to find meaningful progression after a while.

• Options
    I was at 310lbs/140kgs so yeah, dropped a bit. Been trying hard to get into better shape and I know diet is an issue. I'll use that app and give a report in what it says in a week or so.

• Options
    "dropped a bit", yeah, 35kg just falls off. Great work dude, you're a beast.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

A nurse friend of mine does a lot of reading on the subject (we have access to a huge research database at work) and has been seeing a lot of studies that say it's great for anti-inflammatory purposes. I couldn't tell you exactly which studies though.

You can hit PubMed and poke around to get an idea. There are people doing research on fish oil and it's anti-inflammatory effects on all kinds of things, not just exercise related but also things like arthritis and even Alzheimers. All of the evidence points to it having strong benefits, fish oil is great!

@Psykoma you can get burpless caps and then there's no smell issue at all; I take a ton of the regular ones and still only occasionally have a fish burp, it's no big deal.

• Options
    So according to the MyFitnessPal app I need ~3,400 calories to maintain my weight. I'm at 2,300 and not even remotely hungry. This is going to be fun.

• Options
    So according to the MyFitnessPal app I need ~3,400 calories to maintain my weight. I'm at 2,300 and not even remotely hungry. This is going to be fun.

I good 12-16oz protein shake can add 600-800 calories if you put in 2 scoops of powder, kashew milk, peanut butter and some berries.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I was real frustrated yesterday: it was the second week in a row that I hadn’t lost any weight, even though I’ve been strictly following MFP’s daily calories.

Then today I weighed myself, and I’m 3 pounds lighter.

The only thing I can think of is that I was heavier as a result of having, well...the runs. Is it possible to be backed up that much that you weigh more than usual?

Either way, this shit is frustrating (no pun intended).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, were you constipated or did you have diarrhoea?

If you're backed up you could be carrying around a pound of extra poo, depends how bad you're blocked up.

Diarrhoea is more likely to make you lighter, what with the typical dehydration that comes with it.

• Options

I'd exercise caution regarding MyFitnessPal's recommendations. It's a good tracker, but I think it's calorie/macro recommendations are largely stupid. 2300 is what I'd eat to gradually lose weight, so it's possible you could eat more (given that you're much bigger than me, naturally), but just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

• Options
    Wait, were you constipated or did you have diarrhoea?

If you're backed up you could be carrying around a pound of extra poo, depends how bad you're blocked up.

Diarrhoea is more likely to make you lighter, what with the typical dehydration that comes with it.

Second option. It wasn’t liquid either, a whole lot of....leftovers.

It’s supposed to take 48 hours to be affected by food, right? If that’s the case, I have to blame what I ate on Saturday, and work to not eat that again or take other measures.

• Options
    I think you're overthinking it, honestly. This just happens. Sometimes you don't lose weight for a while and then it drops quickly. Happened to me this week! I'd stayed steady (on a deficit) for several weeks and then dropped a kilo (that stayed off) overnight.

You're stressing yourself out more than you really need to. Pretend you're a scientist, doing an experiment on your own body. Don't get mad at the results, just look at them and go "huh". When you have enough data, manipulate a variable. If your data pool sucks (IE, you're not being consistent) you need to improve it (by being consistent)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Weight loss is gonna look like this, basically no matter what you do:

weight-graph-1.png

Day to day and even week to week doesn't usually mean anything, it's the long-term trend that shows the real results.

• Options
    If weighing yourself daily is causing you to spend a lot of time stressing over your weight, you are Not Ready For Daily Weighing. That's for people who look at the scale and pretty much no matter what go "...ok cool".

• Options
    How long should I be observing before I decide that I need to make adjustments? If I’m going weeks without a decrease in weight then I should be doing something different, right?

But even more concerning is my bathroom troubles. It seems once a week I have to periodically and excessively go, until later in the day I take an Imodium or peptol bismol.

Once in a while is fine, shit happens (that was a pun this time), but not every week or every other day.

• Options
    After two weeks you can probably reduce your calories a little bit, but only if you have a good data pool. Did you hit calories really consistently in that time? Macros? How many times did you cheat? Was your compliance 90% or above? If not, your data pool sucks, that's what your problem is. Being more consistent is the first thing to do, because otherwise you don't know if what you're doing is effective because... you're not doing it.

For digestion stuff, no one here can really tell you. More fibre maybe?

• Options
    For digestion stuff, no one here can really tell you. More fibre maybe?

Wouldn’t that have the opposite effect? Constipation isn’t the issue, it’s the complete opposite of that.

It could also be stress related, since this happens the most during work. But that’s a whole other issue I’m currently working on.

• Options
    Fibre helps you shit better generally. If you're not shitting well, could be fibre. I dunno man, doctor.

• Options
    I'd get checked out by a doc for your digestion. It could be a number of things not related to your diet.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm back up to 370 I guess. Which sucks. And I had to cancel my gym membership because I couldn't afford it really anymore.

But I'm on a good dose of my add meds again so that it helping me feel like being more active and keeping my appetite in control a little more.

I started a physical food journal today and I'm going to try to stick to it. Hopefully start cutting back on huge amounts of extra calories like soda which I already haven't had any today so far and don't feel too much of a craving for (thanks Ritalin)

I kind of want to buy a treadmill for my home since I like going to the park when it is nice out but that's going to start being harder going into winter. Plus it would be nice to walk on every day and watch TV. But high capacity treadmills are expensive.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Turns out I've been warming up completely wrong...in that I was basically not warming up at all. Bad news: I now cannot lift the kind of weight I was doing. Good news: since I'm warming up, I'm actually doing more overall work and am making some #sickgainz

Today I put on a shirt that was too small for the last three or so years! Free shirt!

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'd get checked out by a doc for your digestion. It could be a number of things not related to your diet.

Last time I inquired, the doctor wanted several sampled, refridgerated...for several weeks.

Needless to say, that wasn’t a process I wanted to deal with. Now that I’ve got way better insurance, maybe I’ll find a better specialist. But I’m juggling a bunch of doctors as it is, so it’ll have to wait a little longer.

• Options
    I think that doctor may have just had a poop fetish.

This discussion has been closed.