As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Biked to work every work day last month and only skipped 2 days at the beginning of this month. It's amazing how much easier cardio gets when you stay consistent.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My trainer has me doing leg raises every 10-15 seconds during a plank.
    He said I could just go 90 second planks, but doing planks for 5 minutes is just boring, and introducing the leg raises lets me have a similar workout for less time.

It hurts my butt

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Biking to work sounds really nice but my commute is either 15 by car or 45 by bike and I think 90 minutes or biking may just be a bit too much time out of my day.

30 minutes would be a real sweet spot.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    He said I could just go 90 second planks, but doing planks for 5 minutes is just boring, and introducing the leg raises lets me have a similar workout for less time.

It hurts my butt

Stealing this for glute purposes

• Options
    Biking shaves 10-15 minutes off my commute time, not including idle time waiting for the inevitably delayed bus. It has to be pretty horrible weather before I choose public transport.
    That said, Boston has pretty horrible weather reasonably often.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    a bike commute would take me 30m which is about what my transit commute takes (maybe 35)

but i haven't ridden a bike since i was a child and i'm scared of biking in nyc :(

poo
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I don't know why, but when I do weighted squats (not even with challenging weights!), the outside of my left knee aches slightly. Not enough to really qualify as pain, but enough to be concerning. The knee also clicks rather regularly. I'm currently trying different runners knee exercises/stretches to see if that addresses the issue

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It hurts my butt

A special note he told me about this - keep your leg completely straight when lifting, otherwise your hamstings will hog all the effort and your glutes won't benefit.
    Also you're only lifting so that your foot gets up maybe a foot above the ground.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm seriously debating doing a tri next year.

This year I had the goal to run 12 races as a way to make sure I didn't drop running, and I just did my 7th one. I have a couple of half marathons at the end of the year that I'm looking forward to. So I was thinking about next year challenge.

It's either a tri or a full, and honestly I like the concept of a tri better.

There's actually a store devoted to triathlons that I plan on checking on, but anyone tried it? Anything you would have wanted to know going in?

I probably should try a sprint tri, since I'm a horrible swimmer, but I'm debating really pushing myself and trying an Olympic one.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I ran a 5k last weekend

Not nearly as well as last summer, but I am glad I did it

I finished in 35 minutes

My girlfriend ran it too, and got third in her age group, out of close to 100 individuals in her group

!

She ran it in about 24 minutes I think it was

My legs and back are still sore three days later

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I don't know why, but when I do weighted squats (not even with challenging weights!), the outside of my left knee aches slightly. Not enough to really qualify as pain, but enough to be concerning. The knee also clicks rather regularly. I'm currently trying different runners knee exercises/stretches to see if that addresses the issue

Have you rolled your quads out at all?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

No. I don't have a foam roller--though I guess I should really get one! Do you have any recommendations on what I should choose?

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options

No. I don't have a foam roller--though I guess I should really get one! Do you have any recommendations on what I should choose?

I prefer PVC pipe. Any cheap foam roller will do.

You could also use a Barbell. Set one sleeve on your leg and roll it down like a rolling pin slowly over it. Doesn’t require any extra pressure just let it sit and guide it.

Some nerds say SMR doesn’t work. Some other nerds say it may work based off of placebo effect. I think it work good.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Biking to work sounds really nice but my commute is either 15 by car or 45 by bike and I think 90 minutes or biking may just be a bit too much time out of my day.

If you're judging by Google maps estimate I encourage you to try the rout yourself. Google maps gives beach cruiser speeds. They estimate 50 minutes for my commute that I do in 35.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It hurts my butt

A special note he told me about this - keep your leg completely straight when lifting, otherwise your hamstings will hog all the effort and your glutes won't benefit.
    Also you're only lifting so that your foot gets up maybe a foot above the ground.

If you've got your feet shoulder width apart while you're planking, the leg lift will also activate the fuck out of your obliques, too.

• Options
    I don't even know if I have obliques.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Might be hard to stand upright without those

poo
  • Options
    that would actually explain some shit

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So Rachel and I have started exercising. Nothing too complex, just what we can manage when we can get home from work. We have some dumbbells, resistance bands, and one of those total gym things (that actually seems like a pretty decent one of those). We also had an exercise bike but it was a cheapass one and the pedals get really loose.

Anyway I’m just wondering - obviously soreness is a sign that your muscles are adjusting, and it’s usually a good sign (as long as it just feels sore and not like seriously painful or anything). I’ve only been doing this for a week now but after exercising yesterday I don’t feel too sore. I certainly got sweaty and felt like I had a workout yesterday. Probably a stupid question but... should I be feeling sore? Should not feeling sore the next day mean that I need to work harder?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    No, it probably just means your muscles are getting used to being asked to do stuff. You shouldn't necessarily aim to feel sore, though you shouldn't necessarily avoid it either - soreness is a sign of microdamage so it's not, like, awesome, but it also means you were undertaking an activity that actively worked out a part of you that had been neglected. So it's good if things that once made you sore no longer do. i am not a professional exercise person but in general I'd say heartrate and overall improvement in numbers (weight/distance/reps) are a much better indicator of whether you're getting fitter.

tynic on
  • Options
    Okay cool. I figured I was being dumb about it. I basically just exercise until I start to feel real tired, and I try to do different exercises every night so i don’t hurt myself more.

I’m tempted to get a real nice exercise bike when I get my Christmas bonus this year since that would be real helpful for us.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I need to start working out again too. It's really hard to get outside with the heat index.

I need a routine I can do inside myself, maybe some yoga and occasionally some resistance band or bodyweight stuff.

I think maybe I'll try tomorrow morning to get like 10 to 15 minutes in.

Anyone know any good basic short yoga videos I can follow along with on youtube? It's pretty easy to put those on my TV then.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

If you're judging by Google maps estimate I encourage you to try the rout yourself. Google maps gives beach cruiser speeds. They estimate 50 minutes for my commute that I do in 35.

Ooo, yeah that was what I was using. I may have to give that a shake then!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Okay cool. I figured I was being dumb about it. I basically just exercise until I start to feel real tired, and I try to do different exercises every night so i don’t hurt myself more.

I’m tempted to get a real nice exercise bike when I get my Christmas bonus this year since that would be real helpful for us.

I'm glad you asked the question because I learned something from the answer!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I need to start working out again too. It's really hard to get outside with the heat index.

I need a routine I can do inside myself, maybe some yoga and occasionally some resistance band or bodyweight stuff.

Anyone know any good basic short yoga videos I can follow along with on youtube? It's pretty easy to put those on my TV then.

When I was trying to get into yoga I quite liked this woman's videos, she has loads so there should be something to suit whatever you want to try

https://youtu.be/4C-gxOE0j7s

• Options

Might I recommend you just keep your eye out on used goods for exercise equipment?
    Sometimes you can find legitimate stuff for cheap that’s just been used as a clothes hanger.

Craigslist has been useful for me, I hear FB marketplace is decent, I’ve looked through let go and haven’t been impressed with the offerings. Then again they’re all area dependent!

• Options

Might I recommend you just keep your eye out on used goods for exercise equipment?
    Sometimes you can find legitimate stuff for cheap that’s just been used as a clothes hanger.

Craigslist has been useful for me, I hear FB marketplace is decent, I’ve looked through let go and haven’t been impressed with the offerings. Then again they’re all area dependent!

Yeah, I'll keep my eye on that. My main reticence with that is neither of us have very large cars, so transporting a big, say, treadmill or something would be difficult. But I'll definitely look into it for getting stuff like weights if we ever get to the stage of wanting larger ones (we currently have 2lb/3lb/5lb weights).

I think a weight bench would be handy, but it'd definitely have to go in the garage.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

When I was trying to get into yoga I quite liked this woman's videos, she has loads so there should be something to suit whatever you want to try

https://youtu.be/4C-gxOE0j7s

Seconding this, I used a few of these for a while.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I should do yoga. Well I should do a lot of things.

I should probably also be writing down what exercises I do because otherwise I'll come to exercise the next day and be all "Uh yesterday I THINK I did this, and..."

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also I'd recommend looking up kettle ball workouts. You can do a whole lot with them without needing much space.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I was also thinking of getting a decent weight bench. Our total fitness thing can do fine for inclined weights but it doesn't lie flat, so maybe just a basic $50 Amazon weight bench or something? Granted, some of the slightly pricier benches have stuff to do crunches on, which I do like...

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you have the room, I’d pick a squat rack over a weights bench any day of the week

• Options
    Even if I don't have barbell weights? We just have dumbbells.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    You're going to be very very limited with what you can do with single digit lb weights (honestly I think calisthetic movements would be more useful). You may want to consider a gym membership over the up front cost of buying equipment unless you know what you need and if you'll stick to it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I've tried gym memberships and I neeeever end up going. It's always a nice idea.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get super bulky, I just want to build up some muscle, lose a little weight, get slightly more toned. That sort of thing. I'm intending to get larger dumbbells at a point, but honestly right now my strength is shit so I'd rather start small and build up from there.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Pushups, dips, pullups, air squats, assisted pistol squats, planks, burpees, etc

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options

Yeah, I'll keep my eye on that. My main reticence with that is neither of us have very large cars, so transporting a big, say, treadmill or something would be difficult. But I'll definitely look into it for getting stuff like weights if we ever get to the stage of wanting larger ones (we currently have 2lb/3lb/5lb weights).

I think a weight bench would be handy, but it'd definitely have to go in the garage.

Yeah, I was talking about like a concept 2 bike or something that isn’t super big.

Don’t buy treadmills, they’re dumb.

• Options
    I was looking at this bike since it seems to be pretty well-regarded and seems to give a decent full-body workout. We do actually have an exercise bike, it's just a piece of crap that the pedals wiggle around on one side.

• Options
    Assault bikes are pain incarnate (in a good way). Very good for high intensity work

Steam ID
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd like to build up my endurance, and those things seem good for that.

I will look into Kettlebells at some point, but I'm also trying to use what we have instead of buying more stuff we don't need. Maybe I'll move up to the 5 lb weights or something. It ain't much, but I don't wanna hurt myself either.

This discussion has been closed.