As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I went for another run and felt sliiiightly less like I was about to die? And also apparently shaved 30 seconds off my time to 31.30 for 5.5k? So that's good

I still don't like running. I forced myself to keep going. For me it is definitely more of a mental thing than a physical thing, just making myself keep on going. But that is still good training in of itself. I want to do a lot of trad climbing when things open up so mental training (doing things even though your body telling you not to, controlling fear etc) is all excellent for that.

Solar on
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Still getting used to my exercise bike. I'm adapting the Couch to 5k program for an exercise bike. Alternating fast and slow pedaling for when they want me to run/walk. So far its been pretty good! First week I felt like my legs were going to give out on me when I got off the bike but now I'm handling it pretty well. I downloaded a c25k app and I just put an earbud in to ding me when to speed up and slow down, then watch some sitcoms on my tv.

About to start week 3 of this. My fitness tracker tells me I'm burning a little under 400 calories during that roughly 30 minute ride on average, which is going to quickly add up! Once I can do the whole 30 minutes at my 'fast' speed which my bike tells me is about 17 mph I'll start ratcheting up the tension (I'm at 3 out of 8 now) and consider spending more time on it. I'd like to put in an hour every day if I can eventually. Right now I'm doing 30 minutes every other day.

My experiments with healthy overnight oats breakfasts is chugging along. I've finally dialed in the amount of water/length its in the fridge/time in the microwave to get the consistency I want. Next week I'll be playing with different amounts of brown sugar/salt/maple syrup to get a taste I can live with. My favorite fruit to cut up into it has been bananas, surprisingly, since I usually dislike the texture of them on their own.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My thursday run went pretty well, 3.34 miles in 35minutes.

Still more walking involved than I'd like but I also didn't feel like I was going to die as much as last week.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sore, but not as sore as I expected, from running two miles yesterday, pleasant surprise

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    After a hateful 25k on the trainer on Wednesday, I had a glorious 25k road biking yesterday (complete with five Strava PRs) and could have kept going except for the fact it was dark o'clock.

So maybe hating life on the trainer is helping my actual cycling?

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    This week has been all out of order. Instead of weightlifting Monday I went for a 30 mile bike ride - it was the only day with a decent forecast followed by several days of rain and 40 mph winds.

So I lifted Tuesday which was fine but my run Wednesday knackered my legs. I could barely manage the stairs Thursday morning and didn't want something to go spang at the bottom of a squat so I just did a gentle half hour on the exercise bike and pushed Wendesday's weight lift back another day. So I ought to have lifted today but it was sunny after work! Well, technically during work but I took an executive decision to make it an early finish So 20 miles out on the bike it was - flooded lanes be damned! I need to fettle my rear mudguard because a full length guard should not leave me that mucky.

Moody skies on the way home and i got caught by a luckily brief albeit cold rain shower.
    59zp2m8e5ue7.jpg

Anyway it looks like I'll be doing my Wednesday weight session tomorrow now and Friday's on Monday. Maybe next week I'll work back towards being in synch with my admittedly vague plan.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Pull-ups of the weighted and wide angle variety went well this evening but more importantly I nailed the three 45 second 90 degree pull-up position lock-offs

They are so fucking hard, I'm so pumped to shit the last few seconds (and typically make some weird noises, neighbours might be a bit weirded out...) but man it feels to be right at the edge of failure on those and still powering through

Solar on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I discovered my gym has a scale.

Goodie...

I actually don't really think that I have specific weight goals but I suppose it's more information that's helpful to see trends. It's like not the most useful info yet since I haven't been weighed for a long time and have a self picture of myself based on what I weighed like 4+ years ago so compared to that absurdly out of date metric it's depressing. My workout tracker has a spot for bodyweight though so I can build a trend over time just logging it at workouts and seeing a month of data? Idk.

My real goals are strength goals and not really like here's an end goal number focused since I have very little concept of my upper limits but moreso progressive numbers. Like my next milestone is getting DL/squats to 45lb plates (today will be my first time at 40lbs on squats in like 6ish years). Then I suppose next goals will be added weight=bodyweight for those two.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I went skate skiing for the second time today and it went infinitely better! Compared to earlier in the week when I fell 8 times, this time I didn't fall at all!

We got 12cm of snow yesterday, and they groomed the track twice overnight, so it was much easier to keep my balance and get grip on, versus the hard packed stuff from Tuesday. There was a little too much loose snow to practice balance drills, but it was smooth enough that skiing with one foot in the classic track and one foot shoving off was a lot easier. I ran those drills a lot, as well as going fully in the classic tracks and propelling myself with the poles only, and it was actually quite doable!!

By the end I managed to actually be able to shift my balance and skate fully on both feet, though my stance and rhythm of skating + poles is extremely sloppy still - I'm not getting a lot of motion but I'm moving, a vast improvement for only my second time out.

It is very humbling to be consistently owned by my elders, like goddamn. There were a fair number of folks smiling understandably at me, gliding away at 5 times my speed (and at least twice my age) - both inspiring and also tremendously embarrassing, hahaha. Eager to figure this out and eventually be that old person!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Friday Weigh-in #4
    Last week: 172 lbs
    This week: 171 lbs

No big change but still going in the right direction. I've been a bit lenient on doing Fitness Boxing or other exercises this week but today I spent over two hours shoveling snow after a storm.

• Options
    DessertedDesserted Dessert desertRegistered User regular
    Went for a short run this afternoon and got some light rain and a little hail! Also, there was no one else around so I didn't have to stress out about people and covid! Absolutely beautiful out.

Went home and did a little hangboard work and it wasn't too terrible. Trying to do it more frequently because it's right there and I'm not really able to get out and climb as much as I'd like. Hooray exercise!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    apparently 2 days in a row of over an hour swimming each is verging on just a little too much.

but going and doing all the drama of getting into the pool for less than 45 minutes seems like a waste of time to me. I want to be in the water longer than it takes me to get dried and dressed, dammit.

but at least i know that i've been working things. my shoulders and arms are beat. thighs and glutes as well.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Decided that I don't like the weight belt for chin-ups (it's great for dips though) and ordered a plate carrier with plates. This way I can start weighting inverted rows and diamond push-ups as well.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    The weighted vest route is also excellent for long walks around the neighborhood

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    My walking capacity is limited due to dvt / using a cane, but I'll consider it. Usually have to just stick to rowing for cardio, but maybe I'll slap it on when I take Russell out for walks.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Decided that I'm going to move from packaged quaker oats to trying my hand at steel cut oats on my insta pot, so if anyone has any favorite/healthy toppings or recipes, feel free to share!

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Decided that I'm going to move from packaged quaker oats to trying my hand at steel cut oats on my insta pot, so if anyone has any favorite/healthy toppings or recipes, feel free to share!

Heck yeah, I love me some steel cut oats! This is the recipe I use, but sub oat milk for cow dairy! It freezes really well do if you do a big ol' batch.

Fav toppings include homemade apple butter (recipe), peanut/almond butter, raspberries, ground flax, hemp, cranberries/raisins, maple syrup, cinnamon, and/or ginger. Some folks like banana mashed up in but that's an ugh from me.

(Also heads up watch that fibre content, it may be a musical few days while your guts get used to it)

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Going down on my calories another 150 from 2,800 to 2,650. I've been pretty consistent the last 8 or 9 days and I thought I was seeing a downward trend but when I got on the scale this morning I was back at around 214 pounds. So it's probably all been normal weight fluctuations which means I still have no clue if I'm in the right deficit zone for what I'm wanting.

Edit: unless I'm actually successfully recomping by losing fat but maintaining or gaining muscle mass at the same rate, in which case it's probably too early to tell.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Or this high reading is a/the fluctuation. I'd have thought 8/9 days not long enough to see a trend forming yet. Maybe give it another couple weeks at 2800 calories and then decide?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Was on some limestone today trying a 7A boulder problem and feeling all cool for nailing the crux move once or twice

Then a couple of guys turned up and were like "oh hey man that's great, keep on going you'll get it" and then sent a few 7B+s and 7Cs like ah cool cool yeah I remember how shit I am now

Solar on
  • Options
    It wouldn't be fun if you didn't have to work for it!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I hate when you have that post-workout scale surprise

Whoops, up a pound and a half!! Oh wait, I am also very sore, right, right, water weight.

Steam
  • Options
    It wouldn't be fun if you didn't have to work for it!

Oh for sure and ultimately I just gotta keep going, climb more, get my technique right etc.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Going down on my calories another 150 from 2,800 to 2,650. I've been pretty consistent the last 8 or 9 days and I thought I was seeing a downward trend but when I got on the scale this morning I was back at around 214 pounds. So it's probably all been normal weight fluctuations which means I still have no clue if I'm in the right deficit zone for what I'm wanting.

Edit: unless I'm actually successfully recomping by losing fat but maintaining or gaining muscle mass at the same rate, in which case it's probably too early to tell.

It's entirely possible. It's why doing stuff like body-comp tests every couple of months is worth doing to track that sort of thing. Like I only saw 2-4 lb of movement over 3 months, but realistically I had lost total 5-8 lb in losing fat/gaining muscle in the duration.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I had a glorious RMT appointment and felt amazing right up until I got off the table and tweaked the fuck out of my back

So today is Robax, heating pad, and gentle hobbling like an old person lmao

• Options
    edited January 2021
    140% single rep pullup

Nailed it

Solar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Excuse the probably dumb question but how do you do 140% of a pull up?

• Options
    edited January 2021
    For me you put 30kgs of weight on a harness around your waist and do a single pull-up. I weigh 75kgs so I'm pulling up 140% of that in total.

Solar on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

tzu40ywj9bd0.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

tzu40ywj9bd0.png

Legs are cramping just looking at that.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    be5hosybitos.jpg

Getting closer to that 1:45 half, though man today I had nothing left in the tank for my last miles so shaving two min seems painful right now.

It's wild to think that last year my time was 2:17ish.

Also anyone else on Strava?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Wish exercise more intense than a short walk didn't keep leaving me with brain fog. While I'm scrambling to keep up with this month's avalanche of work (like literally my entire month of writing assignments keeps getting dropped with all the deadlines in the same 7-8 days, and then I'm completely free for like three weeks so the avalanche hits harder when next it comes around) I don't dare continue C25K.

Given how ridiculously effective finding the right supplements (the Zinc mostly, but the Fish Oil/B Vitamins/D help too and are useful for my other problems) has been in managing my depression (alongside CBT techniques, but it never worked alone and didn't work as well with SSRIs), I'm tempted to roll the dice (and dig through NIH articles) to find a silver bullet that might help. I guess tyrosine has research showing it helps with adult ADHD somewhat, and I kept meaning to try curcumin for inflammation crap, and both are suggested for brain fog, so...

Of course, if I can get well into C25K after this, maybe that brain fog problem will resolve itself without any help. I can hope.

In positive news, I'm holding my diet steady and my blood pressure continues to trend down, should be back in the green in a few weeks if everything holds.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Solar wrote: »
    For me you put 30kgs of weight on a harness around your waist and do a single pull-up. I weigh 75kgs so I'm pulling up 140% of that in total.

This seems very obvious now you've said it. I was definitely imagining something more like what Jedoc posted.

Good work, that sounds difficult and horrible

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got depressed and ate almost a whole bag of lays and a candy bar.

3 more days till one months sans soda though

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Solar wrote: »

This seems very obvious now you've said it. I was definitely imagining something more like what Jedoc posted.

Good work, that sounds difficult and horrible

Thanks! It's difficult but enjoy it, strength training is actually quite fun!

Solar on
  • Options
    strength training seems scary and impossible without loads of special equipment.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I got depressed and ate almost a whole bag of lays and a candy bar.

3 more days till one months sans soda though

It's okay to hit a roadbump sometimes! Weight loss is about trends and not outliers, you can still stay on track.

3 months without soda is super impressive! I need to try and cut back on my Coke Zero intake, do some more seltzers and such to get my bubble fix...

Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    my whole body is pain...

960 calories of chips later...

edit: oh God 2 more months without soda to make it 3 is gonna be so hard. sugar makes my brain not as sad.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm finally getting my custom orthotics today!

maybe I'll finally be able to do fitness stuff that I actually enjoy now!

They decided to change my order without telling me so I got my money back and will never go there again

but now I need a new podiatrist and a new order for orthotics so it'll be another few months

stupid people

• Options
    edited January 2021
    when people say the only thing they want out of soda is bubbles it makes me feel like a bug in a brand new edgar suit

sugar... in water... more...

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.