As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] New Expansion Announced: Battle for Azeroth.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The last three expansions at least have all been 1 year from announcement to release. I don't expect this next one to buck the trend, there's no evidence it will.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The last three expansions at least have all been 1 year from announcement to release. I don't expect this next one to buck the trend, there's no evidence it will.

I wouldn't say no evidence. The increased rate of content coming out seems higher this expansion but I could be wrong.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The fact that patches have arrived every 77 days like clockwork does give me some hope that they've ironed out a solid content release plan that may not result in a year long content drought.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's evidence, just circumstantial. Pretty much everything about their patch release schedule has been wildly different than previous expansions, so its possible to extrapolate that this new trend could continue.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I dont mind content drought that much. My job schedule keeping me out of raiding for weeks/months at a time keeps me from overplaying and getting bored anyways.

My guess is that the next expansion isn't going to be as huge a shift as Legion and they likely have their content pipeline a little better organized. I wont totally second guess their ambition, though. Legions patches were massive.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I don't know how you can say having a 77 day on the DOT release schedule almost the entire expansion is not significant evidence. Especially when in this very thread people were declaring it outright impossible to actually have specific days to release new stuff because of how development works.

If that is not evidence that they are operating at a MUCH different level then before, then there literally isn't anything else that could be.

I do not think this assures us that it will come out earlier, but I think they have set a pretty strong precedent for it. This is also ignoring facts such as the team massively growing in size for Legion after people returned from Overwatch, and the fact that we have confirmation in this thread as well that the team is bigger than ever and actually growing. Unless you base everything on what has happened in the past, there is almost zero evidence it won't make a reasonable release date.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I hated in Wod being handcuffed to the garrison
    And the attitude of you don't raid then FU

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Cataclysm was fun. Don't know what you guys are smoking.

Firelands was one of the most fun raids

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Cata wasn't too bad, a lot of the changes were straight up necessary. There were some issues with the changes in difficulty (I knew one tank who had been doing so since at least TBC if not Vanilla who felt like he was being pushed out of raiding because of how tanking was changed).

I wasn't a big fan of a lot of the fluff changes

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The story was basically "let's introduce a ton of characters you'll never see again after this expac"

To be fair they do this every expansion. Has anyone heard from Taran Zhu recently?

Altough Warlords did take it to extreme levels.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    The story was basically "let's introduce a ton of characters you'll never see again after this expac"

To be fair they do this every expansion. Has anyone heard from Taran Zhu recently?

You mean other than all monks because he's one of their order champions and helps out on some of the artifact quests?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't understand how you can love WoD's story, especially given how it abruptly shifted gears and abandoned the origin plot. Turns out the bad writing of WoW + time travel = laughable levels of storytelling

Wait, maybe that's how you can love WoD's story.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

This is a sarcastic post, right? :P

(Seriously though, Rhyolith = worst boss they've ever designed)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah I thought it was too bad that all the characters from warlords just got abandoned; it seems like it would have at least made sense for yrel to come fight the legion with us, though maybe there were no real appropriate horde npcs to mirror her

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    It's blizzard. Always bank on "when it's done" which means "much later than you'd want/hope/think."

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I don't know how you can say having a 77 day on the DOT release schedule almost the entire expansion is not significant evidence. Especially when in this very thread people were declaring it outright impossible to actually have specific days to release new stuff because of how development works.

If that is not evidence that they are operating at a MUCH different level then before, then there literally isn't anything else that could be.

I do not think this assures us that it will come out earlier, but I think they have set a pretty strong precedent for it. This is also ignoring facts such as the team massively growing in size for Legion after people returned from Overwatch, and the fact that we have confirmation in this thread as well that the team is bigger than ever and actually growing. Unless you base everything on what has happened in the past, there is almost zero evidence it won't make a reasonable release date.

Making more content for Legion than any other expansion kind of implies a longer lifespan for Legion, does it not? Time spent making content in Legion is time spent not making content for the next expansion, unlike WoD where we can be pretty sure based on empirical experiences that they spent most of WoD making content for Legion instead.

On top of that, without spoiling anything, Antorus does not tie up many loose ends, storywise, but rather throws wide open a new line of questions, without really cleanly leading into a new expansion. it's reasonable to think that we probably have a minor content patch to go, a la Ruby Sanctum.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have a quicker turnaround from announcement to release of the next expansion, while still maintaining Legion content releases. Like you said, the team is bigger, so their capabilities will be greater. But, on top of that, there's also the idea that you can't use nine women to make a baby in a month, and some things just take as long as they take. Beta alone, for example, needs to be 5-6 months, to give enough time for testing multitudes of situations.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    yeah I thought it was too bad that all the characters from warlords just got abandoned; it seems like it would have at least made sense for yrel to come fight the legion with us, though maybe there were no real appropriate horde npcs to mirror her

its sadly amusing that in an expansion full of Orcs they couldn't find one or more to pull over.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

Making more content for Legion than any other expansion kind of implies a longer lifespan for Legion, does it not? Time spent making content in Legion is time spent not making content for the next expansion, unlike WoD where we can be pretty sure based on empirical experiences that they spent most of WoD making content for Legion instead.

On top of that, without spoiling anything, Antorus does not tie up many loose ends, storywise, but rather throws wide open a new line of questions, without really cleanly leading into a new expansion. it's reasonable to think that we probably have a minor content patch to go, a la Ruby Sanctum.

I'm not saying it's impossible to have a quicker turnaround from announcement to release of the next expansion, while still maintaining Legion content releases. Like you said, the team is bigger, so their capabilities will be greater. But, on top of that, there's also the idea that you can't use nine women to make a baby in a month, and some things just take as long as they take. Beta alone, for example, needs to be 5-6 months, to give enough time for testing multitudes of situations.

Except not only did they say this is it for the major patches, but we even had our own kind of personal insider essentially say After Antorus they were moving on.

Also nothing about what I said had anything to do with the amount of content. It had to do with how polished their release schedule has been. Meaning, if they can make what was obviously at this point hard deadlines for patches with pinpoint accuracy, then there is a much higher chance of them making a expansion timeline they have tried to claim they would make in the past but missed.

I mean, there could be a middle ground. It wouldn't shock me if they did something new like come out with a pre expansion patch. Not just the one that adds in permanent systems changes to the game, but actual content from the next expansion but made to come out before it (and for free). They sort of did this with Legion even, having a bunch of stuff happen building up to it. Including the biggest pre expansion event they ever did with invasions. If they manage to put something like that out say, 2-3 months before the expansion instead of roughly a month like the Legion stuff did, suddenly the drought is significantly less daunting.

• Options
    So I finally hit legion content with my priest, a little TV evangelist goblin. Discipline healing is ... challenging. I kind of love the idea, but in "oh shit" situations it kind of sucks. I may switch to holy. But I'm wondering if people find running legion dungeons as disc to be a problem? Thinking strictly normal, leveling stuff here, not mythic+ or whatever.

• Options
    If you can think outside the box, disc is fine.

Like, taking Grace and popping radiance then spamming shadow covenant outside of combat to top people off during bursting thinking outside of the box. Mostly though you can do massive aoe healing to the whole group for 9 seconds every 18 seconds. Can't see what problem you are unable to solve with that.

Just remember not to be afraid to plea now. The cost is normalized and not all the bad for if you really need to get a few attonements out there but dont have any radiance yet. However, healing as disc does kind of depend on you knowing when the damage is coming.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Disc cannot be played by watching healing frames and reacting to what happens in your UI, like all the other healers. They really need to be aware of everything going on in the fight, particularly the timers on incoming boss abilities, and also just straight up watching what your party is doing so you know when they're going to take damage.

The idea of discipline is that "oh shit" situations shouldn't surprise you.

Which is not to say that other healers don't benefit from a bit of situational awareness and encounter knowledge, but you can usually get away in easier content with playing a different healer by purely reactively healing and watching nothing but your interface. But Discipline just won't work that way.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »

You mean other than all monks because he's one of their order champions and helps out on some of the artifact quests?

STRIKE HARD, STRIKE FAST

THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE IS ON OUR SIDE

WHERE ARE WE GOING TODAY GRANDMASTER

IS THIS WIKKET- *closes WoW client*

*deletes Monk*

*thinks about the choices that brought us here*

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I don't understand how you can love WoD's story, especially given how it abruptly shifted gears and abandoned the origin plot. Turns out the bad writing of WoW + time travel = laughable levels of storytelling

Wait, maybe that's how you can love WoD's story.

I didn't do it when it was out. I did it much after the fact

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Rhyolith was fun

• Options

Rhyolith was fun

I take it you weren't responsible for doing his feet...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Just resubbed for the first time since the end of MoP, holy moly things have changed. Hell of start to the WoD stuff, mucho explosions.

Picked up my warrior again, since prot is like an old slipper to me. Is it worth taking my time with the WoD stuff or should I just chug through to Legion?

• Options

Rhyolith was fun

I mean, I had to switch to the adds when they popped up. But I was ranged, so I think the melee had a harder time.

It was a quirky boss for sure, but the boss fights that force players out of the tank and spank routine are the best imo

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular

Rhyolith was fun

I mean, I had to switch to the adds when they popped up. But I was ranged, so I think the melee had a harder time.

It was a quirky boss for sure, but the boss fights that force players out of the tank and spank routine are the best imo

Everyone in the melee HATED that boss.
    The problem wasn't even the sometimes unresponsive turning mechanic, it was the stupidly positioned hitbox that oftentimes didn't correspond to the animation of the legs moving. We only managed to get him on farm when all of our players got it drilled into them to just ignore the massive model of the leg filling their screen and just pay attention to the red circle on the ground. And even then they would sometimes get error message that they were not facing the boss.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did not do firelands until Cata so I don't really know how fun or hard it was
    But I am stuck on a vague collecting quest I feel I cannot do as I kill them far too quickly

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Firelands actually had fun bosses, at least imo. It suffered from having a super limited palette though, and also from the grindy staff business

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I remember one of the bosses in Firelands being complete shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, though. I forget the name.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Just resubbed for the first time since the end of MoP, holy moly things have changed. Hell of start to the WoD stuff, mucho explosions.

Picked up my warrior again, since prot is like an old slipper to me. Is it worth taking my time with the WoD stuff or should I just chug through to Legion?

I liked Legion much, much more and the zones have been a lot more interesting visually/thematically to me. However, this is more a taste thing so YMMV.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Rhyolith was fun

Everyone in the melee HATED that boss.
    The problem wasn't even the sometimes unresponsive turning mechanic, it was the stupidly positioned hitbox that oftentimes didn't correspond to the animation of the legs moving. We only managed to get him on farm when all of our players got it drilled into them to just ignore the massive model of the leg filling their screen and just pay attention to the red circle on the ground. And even then they would sometimes get error message that they were not facing the boss.

Yeah he never seemed to respond the way you would think he should. Some days it flat out felt like he was bugged because he refused to turn no matter how hard you pounded on a leg. Other days it was fine. I think dots seriously fucked it up.

But even if he was working correctly on a given day, you had to deal with the complete FU RNG of where the volcanoes spawned. Oh, one just spawned on the opposite end of where he's currently at? Guess you're fucked, wipe it up. What, hit box didn't register him walking over the volcano? Whoops.

The fight was just super badly designed. It didn't work and it was a pain in the ass to execute on top of being super RNG dependant.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I remember one of the bosses in Firelands being complete shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, though. I forget the name.

What did the boss look like? I remember most of them sucking.

Shannox - dogs were confusing and a pain in the ass to deal with, especially Riplimb who could just fuck your raid if you couldn't dps him down fast enough. Also some RNG on the target he chose.

Alysrazor - recall the worms being buggy and dropping aggro among other things. Adds at the bottom were a huge dps check or you just got overwhelmed crazy fast.

Spider boss I forget the name - mostly fine, though seem to remember the web up top being buggy. Dps check for adds was also tight.

The rest were ok I think. Everything had tight do checks I recall though. Only fight I remember being somewhat fun was Majordomo. Alysrazor was maybe fun if you got to be one of the magical chosen ones beloved by the raid leader enough to pick up feathers and fly. I was never this person because they liked the other rogue better than me even though I often beat him on meters.

And yeah, the whole raid itself was just miserable. Ugly, ugly design, trash EVERYWHERE. It was like they asked themselves how they could possibly design a raid that captures the spirit of how shitty Molten Core was, then make it less appealing.

I'd say Cata in general just had the worst raids though. I can't think of a single good one (BRD had some high points I guess marred by some really low points like Maloriak). It's why it's still the worst expansion to me, even with as much as I don't really like Legion

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Got Balance of Power almost done on my Shaman, just another NH clear and done. The worst part are the rep grinds since you need both Nightfallen Revered and Valajar Revered to be able to do the quest chain, rest is just w/e.

Is still hilarious see an entire full raid get completely obliterated by H Trillax's Death Beam.

And there was some private server drama going on Elsyum, it's pretty much resumed on this screenshot:

With so many F2P MMOs these days, don't see the point of going to a private server if this happens.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I only have one memory of firelands.

And that was almost murdering a new hunter we brought in because he skinned the spider boss before i could absorb essences out of it.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I did not do firelands until Cata

So same as everyone else then?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

If you've never seen it, some of the zone stories in WoD are fun. Some important horde lore stuff in Nagrand. If you're wearing any heirlooms though you will out-level content very quickly. It kind of all gets dropped in legion though, so not really necessary. I missed the last half of WoD raiding, so I'm still confused how it transitioned story-wise. Lots of good cartoony cut-scenes in some zones, if you're into that kind of thing. I wouldn't put a lot of effort into building up a garrison either way. You will ditch it once you hit legion content and have class halls to tend to instead.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Got Curve on my Shaman wooo!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    If you enjoy questing hang out in WoD zones to finish them all, there is usually good story payoff. If you don't enjoy questing, move on to legion as soon as you can. There is nobody who is doing WoD (or any other previous expansion for that matter) endgame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    try and do Grimrail Depot on the way through Warlords. its an experience for sure

This discussion has been closed.