As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] New Expansion Announced: Battle for Azeroth.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    How would you make it challenging without making insane damage output?

As for rezzes, immunities help you soak things, but they don't help you recover from mistakes as easily as multiple combat rezzes do. Limiting the number of rezzes with a global number will go a long way to increasing class diversity, particularly amongst tanks.

These teams didn't bring guardians and death knights for their tanking. They were brought for their utility, mainly the battle rez, although DK leech aura and Stampeding Roar are good too.

Demon Hunters are much stronger tanks in M+ than Guardians, but lacking that battle rez really hurts, so lots of compositions won't run one (although several did).

Dhalphir on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Extra skills the boss has
    Faster cooldowns it has
    Minions
    There are tons of ways to do it without upping the damage just some of them are not popular

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    turns out the bug that aided team marsy has to do with the observer getting aggro and preventing the group from rezzing, so directly a bug caused by someone in the wow staff that benefited the eventual winners. Majorly hinky.

Especially since I don't believe that happened at any other time in the competition.

How did it aid them? Wasn't it Free Marsy who actually got the bug?

Or do you mean because it saved them the run back?

edited October 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Faster cooldowns it has
    Minions
    There are tons of ways to do it without upping the damage just some of them are not popular

Those are all nonlinear difficulty increases. The biggest strength of M+ is the smooth difficulty curve, where things get harder but mechanically don't change.

Dhalphir on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    turns out the bug that aided team marsy has to do with the observer getting aggro and preventing the group from rezzing, so directly a bug caused by someone in the wow staff that benefited the eventual winners. Majorly hinky.

Especially since I don't believe that happened at any other time in the competition.

It reset the map, where they had 6 deaths and team honestly was already through the first boss with no deaths. Like at the very least they should have been down the 6 deaths.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

It reset the map, where they had 6 deaths and team honestly was already through the first boss with no deaths. Like at the very least they should have been down the 6 deaths.

Are we talking about the same bug? It was at the end of Upper Kara.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Are we talking about the same bug? It was at the end of Upper Kara.

There was one before on halls of valor that caused them to reset the whole map, and it directly benefited marsey because they were the team that couldn't rez after a wipe. Like twice they got that bug, and the first time it super benefited them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2017
    You can't really bring shades of grey into discussions on whether to restart after a bug. Either the policy is continue at all costs, bugs be damned, or clean restart every time.

Once you start trying to do things like start them with 6 deaths (which I guarantee the WoW system wouldn't be capable of), you're getting into hugely complex territory where you have to go through and determine what was caused by the bug and what wasn't. A clean restart policy is the only realistic way to deal with gamebreaking bugs.

Dhalphir on
    I'm actually delighted by the amount of bugs on display in the MDI. These bugs have been ruining my key pushes for months, maybe now they'll fix them.

SmrtnikNyht
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Some 16 more pets up to 25 thanks to Squirt. I probably have a deep enough bench now for the Celestial Tournament.

Also, finished out the 2000 demon achievement and got that mount.

I had managed to finish and hold the last two emissaries (Reach and Army) until I was able to hit DMF and get that buff too.

I just watched that match, and several of those deaths are directly attributable to the bug. The first death was the healer, who got brezzed. The sixth was the tank, after he was tryong to solo the mob down and eventually failed after 30 seconds.

The time gap between the second and sixth deaths was over a minute, during which time they were unable to release. They were right at the start. If they're able to release and rejoin the fight, they probably end up with only 2-3 deaths, not 6, and no wipe.

Like I said, once you start talking about letting mistakes carry through into remakes like you suggest, you have to go through and work out what was caused by the bugs and what was caused by the players. It's a tiny bit unfair to Honestly, but any solution other than a clean remake would have been far more unfair to Free Marsy.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    From the subreddit: an alternate name for 7.3

qzYt09Z.jpg

No lie that prydaz really makes soloing the rare elites a lot easier.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It also stops you from being dazed and knocked off your mount by the mobs that are every three feet.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I still don't have prydaz...

I don't know what that is

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

It's a legendary that can drop for every class and spec that gives you a shield (like priest pw:s) every 30 or so seconds iirc.

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It also stops you from being dazed and knocked off your mount by the mobs that are every three feet.

all more evidence of warlocks being the superior class

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Priest takes 2.5 or more months for 4p bonus. New Alt warrior gets it in my first raid.

BahamutZERO
    Smrtnik wrote: »

It's a legendary that can drop for every class and spec that gives you a shield (like priest pw:s) every 30 or so seconds iirc.

Oh that neck

BahamutZERO
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    prydaz has been amazing for a while I think, since they buffed the stats on it
    people underestimate it because it's "not a dps legendary" but...

BahamutZERO.gif
    crimsoncoyoteThis
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So many Tomb fights have been starting with "Okay, put on your Prydaz..."

YL9WnCY.png
    3cl1ps3
    nailed the paladin tank challenge just now

that makes me 6 for 6 on all tank classes with the challenge appearance.

Paladin was definitely the hardest, and it wasn't close.

crimsoncoyotePreacher3cl1ps3Bucketman
    So many Tomb fights have been starting with "Okay, put on your Prydaz..."

I had it for a while but had not really used it but in argus it is seriously legit. The shield on it is strong the stats are good and the shield comes back really quick which makes navigating around and fighting rares a lot more enjoyable.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    H KJ down. Finally. I'm just so tired, but it was worth it.

H3Knuckles3cl1ps3SmrtnikNobodyDhalphircrimsoncoyoteBahamutZERODonnictonBucketman
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Blizzcon schedule is out: https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule

Awwwwwful lot of WoW panels there... :P

Side note, finally bothered to do the three invasions or whatever to unlock the boss one yesterday. So yeah, probably never gonna bother with those lesser ones again (maybe unless there's an achievement or something). They seem kind of worthless and not all that interesting. "Go to a place that looks like some existing place and kill some things until a boss spawns... then you get some artifact power."

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    There is an achievement from the lesser ones but you won't like it...

steam_sig.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There's a weekly quest to do 3 of the lesser ones to get this tier's apexis crystals.

I think Blizzard may have overestimated the ability of randoms to do the greater portals though. Got into one where there were skeletons all over the place and respawns popping up...the only real strategy seemed to be "zerg it"

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if the greater bosses aren't already down to like 50% when I zone in I usually just grab a group out of the finder

people pull them with like 10 people, which is just not enough to deal with their mechanics

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    TryCatchercrimsoncoyote3cl1ps3Bucketman
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Blizzcon schedule is out: https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule

Awwwwwful lot of WoW panels there... :P

Side note, finally bothered to do the three invasions or whatever to unlock the boss one yesterday. So yeah, probably never gonna bother with those lesser ones again (maybe unless there's an achievement or something). They seem kind of worthless and not all that interesting. "Go to a place that looks like some existing place and kill some things until a boss spawns... then you get some artifact power."

There's daily(weekly?) quests to do 3 invasion and get 200 crystals so they're worth that at least.

96058.png?1619393207
    Nobody wrote: »
    There's a weekly quest to do 3 of the lesser ones to get this tier's apexis crystals.

I think Blizzard may have overestimated the ability of randoms to do the greater portals though. Got into one where there were skeletons all over the place and respawns popping up...the only real strategy seemed to be "zerg it"

The one that I did was not that bad, but he had a stuuuuuuuuupid amount of HP. Like, I felt like we were beating on this guy for 10 minutes or something. He wasn't even hard otherwise.

And yeah, I know about the weekly. But I am kind of meh on those crystals. It's not a huge ilvl boost over what I'm wearing unless it titanforges or something, and usually I just get garbage stats :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

The one that I did was not that bad, but he had a stuuuuuuuuupid amount of HP. Like, I felt like we were beating on this guy for 10 minutes or something. He wasn't even hard otherwise.

And yeah, I know about the weekly. But I am kind of meh on those crystals. It's not a huge ilvl boost over what I'm wearing unless it titanforges or something, and usually I just get garbage stats :(

Rolling for titanforging is never a bad use of them, and they have a (low) chance to turn into a Legendary.

BullheadcrimsoncoyoteBucketman

Rolling for titanforging is never a bad use of them, and they have a (low) chance to turn into a Legendary.

Yeah I know. I'm just not jumping at the bit to maximize my acquisition of them. I get a decent amount from follower missions already, plus whenever I bother to do world quests over there :P

The nice thing about not raiding is that I no longer have to kill myself doing all this shit every day :)

The biggest issue with them is it really should auto group you when you enter it makes healing almost impossible other than spray or aoe type ground heals.

BullheadNobodycrimsoncoyote
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Faster cooldowns it has
    Minions
    This is just different ways of increasing damage.

YL9WnCY.png
    DhalphirH3KnucklesBahamutZERO
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Faster cooldowns it has
    Minions
    This is just different ways of increasing damage.

But they potentially offer different solutions that aren't just a matter of increasing the healing burden.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    not really though

like, the reason damage increases is to increase the stress on the group; more damage means you have to do the mechanics better, kill the boss faster, etc. Adding additional adds, or more abilities, shorter CDs on abilities is really just increasing the damage the group takes by other means, and has more potential to create impossible scenarios (like, how many class' movement CDs are no longer sufficient when dresaron downdrafts every 25s rather than every 30? Every 20? etc.)

I guess I would agree that flat percentile damage/health increases are not the most interesting thing, but in a situation where the increase has to change dynamically it's probably the most workable

NREqxl5.jpg
    Adding new abilities isn't something that can be done by degrees, so there's no real way you can add difficulty in a smooth gradient without the health/damage increases.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if the greater bosses aren't already down to like 50% when I zone in I usually just grab a group out of the finder

people pull them with like 10 people, which is just not enough to deal with their mechanics

yeah unlike all the previous world bosses this expansion the greater invasion guys have actually required tank swap mechanics and stuff like that

BahamutZERO.gif
    crimsoncoyote
    kaid wrote: »

The biggest issue with them is it really should auto group you when you enter it makes healing almost impossible other than spray or aoe type ground heals.

Oh I just joined via group finder. I didn't realize other people would be there if I just walked in

Adding new abilities isn't something that can be done by degrees, so there's no real way you can add difficulty in a smooth gradient without the health/damage increases.

I think they could possibly replace tyrannical/fortified (which are kinda uninspired, and also fairly irrelevant in 15+s) with some sort of 'bosses/trash get an extra ability' thing, but that's a lot more dev and tuning and wouldn't really change the % scaling paradigm

NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.