As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Elki Honorary Poll [chat]

1939495969799»

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Time to finally shower

Blessed water

Soothing in thy temperature

Unstink me hither

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    NPR this morning had a story about how it's legal for bee keepers in Montana to shoot black bears tryin' to get at that sweet good goo.

I think what I'm saying is, maybe release a bear into your attic?

I heard this story but I never found out if they guy was the same guy who sells the bees wax. Was it?

I think so. The ending of the story was really weird; the reporter spoke as if wrapping things up, then said that the guy she had been talking to was worried that it was going to sound like bee keepers were going to come off as blood thirsty bear murderers, so they play a clip of him talking and he really just wanted to clear up that they really actually do not shoot very many bears, and that really it's no different from when mountain lions try to eat your livestock and of course nobody has a problem with that, and actually bees are taxed as livestock so this is the same thing, did you know bees are livestock? and also way more mountain lions get shot than black bears anyway.

The guy finishes talking, and the reporter goes "according to the data we found, he's totally right about that lion thing. I'm This Reporter for NPR."

I don't know what I was supposed to think about any of it. Fuck lions, I guess?

I was particular stuck by solar powered electric fences.

Idk why.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I had a 19 year old show up to my shop literally not able to use a computer. He never used one before joining the Navy. Not because he was poor or his family didn't have them, he just had precisely zero interest ever learning how to use one.

I'm not sure I've ever wanted to yell at someone more simply because of who they were as a person.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i would call it more of a giggle, mate

Mae8 is u chukklin about
    i am hurt you would even level this accusation

I'm sorry I didn't realize we were in sincerity corner

<3 u P10

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Even when I use a mouse on my desktop, I have one of the touchpads off to the side so I can use it as a gesture tool.

Four-finger swipe up, move to the window you want, four-finger swipe down. Way faster than alt-tabbing.

even better when you have a couple apps that demand a lot of your attention and lots of space, and you run them full screen. then you just swipe left and right to the app from the desktop.

Its just so convenient.

I may have gotten subdued gasping from the audience every now and then when I flip back and forth between macOS and my Windows VM.

This is literally what alt tab does omfg why are so many people bad at computers

I gave up on expecting anyone to be good at computers ever when I started seeing people with 8+ years of higher education struggling to display their computer on a projector

"How many doctorates does it take to connect a computer to a projector" is always my least favorite game at seminar

that happens pretty constantly at computer security conferences.

I think it would happen less, if macbooks had hdmi adapters instead of things that are technically better.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    redx wrote: »
    I think it would happen less, if macbooks had hdmi adapters instead of things that are technically better.

6u1ype38nege.png

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Fuck laptops without full size ports.

Gimme a god damn ethernet and an HDMI you miserly form before function assholes.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    my students have been shockingly bad at computers
    I think there was a period in our youth where we learned all the computer stuff
    then it got streamlined and no one knows anymore

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Quid v Tyrannus

Who is the bigger butt

Quid!!

Counterpoint: Tyrannus!!!

I've bought nexus a beer

Quids sat naked with me in a steam room

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Like, I look back at the narratives that nerds were fed by culture in the past and are still to an extent nowadays and woof

I'm not talking a Feminist Frequency, problematic tropes in gaming stuff where dudes were promised the princess shit

I'm talking like, stuff that TV and movies told nerds about nerds specifically and to a certain extent still do.

And it's shit like, yeah well that jock bully only picks on you because he's insecure (or is bullied/abused himself at home) or jealous of you and he is also dumb and unintelligent and all he has is his physicality, which will swiftly depreciate in value once he grows old and fat whereas you will continue to get smarter and more knowledgeable over time and so in the long run, you will be the Tortoise to his Hare.

Your intellect will allow you to be rich and successful and go to college and get a good job in STEM, unlike all those dumb-dumbs who will have to flip burgers and basically serve you in the future. Just look at how guys like Bill Gates turned out!

It's okay if people don't like you or if your social skills are kinda poor or if you have some... personal problems, because you're smart, and being smart is what matters in the long run and will win out, and even if you're kind of an asocial fucking asshole people will begrudgingly respect you for being smart and right all the time (like they do for House or Sherlock!)

People make fun of your esoteric hobbies and interests now but they're based on history and culture, not facile pop nonsense, and/or they will always turn out to have some kind of practicable real world value that everyone discounted until it was suddenly super necessary. It's okay that you spent all that time studying the blade, one day they'll need you.

And like, none of this kind of fawning, you're-actually-the-special-ones media treatment is exclusive to nerds. Lots of different groups get this kind of bullshit from media that targets them. But with nerds it was pernicious and seems to really have soaked in to a very specific subset of dudes who are nowadays in their mid 20s to late 30s that fully bought in to that messaging, that they're the Chosen Ones, that The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth, that all the slings and arrows they suffered in high school were in preparation for a world they were meant to be the stewards of. They're the Princes Who Were Promised, dammit.

The idea really specifically that intellect is all that matters and that it's basically free licence to be as much a dipshit as you want because you're smart and you (think) are right is probably one of the worst parts of it and one of the parts that really underlies a lot of the worst of the objectivist technocrat dickheaded elitism that you see with these guys. It's a really toxic way to see the world, and one they were told is okay over and over again.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man I want to play a HotS game as Cho'Gall. They look fun

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Apples wireless everything future is a dystopian hell where when computers don't work you can do nothing about it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Also btw my boss has some of her menagerie of beautiful men over moving furniture for the store and I haven't seen one of em before and he is

So beautiful wtf

Also it seems that he works on the farm at my college??????? *transfers majors*

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 2.3

@Quid will create the new thread
    @Couscous is backup

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    jacobkosh I started watching The Good Place

Oh god I can already see the cracks and now I'm fascinated and must watch the whole thing

@Evil Multifarious it's wildly addictive, or at least it was for me. It's a been a while since I clicked so thoroughly with a thing. keep me abreast of your thoughts! I was genuinely blindsided by some of the stuff that happened.

This discussion has been closed.