As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

come Play With Us in the [podcast] thread

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Well, I just became so angry with Darkest Dungeon that I straight up uninstalled it from my desktop.

How's your night going, Podcast Thread?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i've been having great luck with darkest dungeon, what got you tripped up?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm very good, because of the Wolfenstein 2 launch trailer

there's some spoiler stuff after the pre-order screen, so watch out

https://youtu.be/bmy4WW8TqL8
    we are now officially one step closer to Mecha-Hitler

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I do wonder whether anybody either on staff at GB, or in the wider network of people associated with the site will have a sit down with Dan and explain to him why the game is Bad and his review is too.

He is very clearly not a malicious person, but he has shown that he has no interest in expanding or changing his worldview unless someone holds his hand through it.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I do wonder whether anybody either on staff at GB, or in the wider network of people associated with the site will have a sit down with Dan and explain to him why the game is Bad and his review is too.

He is very clearly not a malicious person, but he has shown that he has no interest in expanding or changing his worldview unless someone holds his hand through it.

i mean, it's not like he uploaded his review under the dark of night

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    As I understand it, Jeff and Brad go over every review with the writer before it's posted.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The humor seems to be mostly juvenile, crass and deliberately shocking.

In the QL Dan seemed... unphased but not particularly armoured by it.

Your opinion of the game is probably almost entirely reliant on what you think of the humor.
    (As it seems to be a decent but not amazing tactical jrpg otherwise)

Trying to explain to someone that their humor is bad is a tall order. Doing it to Dan Ryckert seems herculean.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    It's just really disappointing. I didn't necessarily expect better from Dan, but I expect better from the site. There are people there who can reign him in when he's being a shithead.

Gbeast especially has been and continues to get better about these kinds of things.

There is a community around them filled with people who are targeted and belittled by the game's humour, and they choose to publish a piece like that. It's... Ugh.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    It's just really disappointing. I didn't necessarily expect better from Dan, but I expect better from the site. There are people there who can reign him in when he's being a shithead.

Gbeast especially has been and continues to get better about these kinds of things.

There is a community around them filled with people who are targeted and belittled by the game's humour, and they choose to publish a piece like that. It's... Ugh.

I don't know that it's Giant Bomb's responsibility as a site to police the thoughts and opinions of its editors (as far as game reviews go I mean)

Like maybe this will prompt people to fuckin' take Dan's hand and walk him through some shit, but that's a dialogue that should be allowed to happen after he reviews the game

It's a review by Dan Ryckert, not the site itself

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    if i was reviewing that game for south park fans then the four star review seems more or less right

the game does a good job at what it's going for, i jus think what it's going for is utterly repugnant

which, at some point forces you to ask whether you're writing a consumer review or a piece of criticism. Giant Bomb generally positions its reviews in the former category, so it makes sense to me that they'd stand by that review even if I really, really disagree with it, and feel like this is one of those times you need to lean more towards criticism. If you're just trying to direct consumers, then hey yeah Fractured But Whole has decent RPG combat and writing that will appeal to south park fans but you probably won't like it if you're not a south park fan

I dunno, it sucks. I thought it sucked when Stick of Truth came out and a whole bunch of people whose opinions I generally respect went on and on about how good that game was.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    saying that a website needs to take a reviewer aside and tell him why his review is wrong is one of the most off-putting and internet hive-mindy things I have heard in a very long time

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    YaYa wrote: »
    saying that a website needs to take a reviewer aside and tell him why his review is wrong is one of the most off-putting and internet hive-mindy things I have heard in a very long time

I'm not sure I agree with this statement 100%. I think internet rando's on some message board don't actually get to say one way or another how a internet publication gets to use is platform or whatever for sure. But if that was a decision they came to as a site of just Jeff as editor in chief... Well its their platform is up to them to choose if they want to use it one way or another.

On the other hand I mean, I don't think they should ever change a review in a circumstance like that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Ben should have given Cuphead one star because I want to play that game but I don't like pattern memorization or platforming

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »

It's exactly why Giant Bomb exists.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Reviews have editors yall

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I say we're about 5 years out before they close down bioware

Yeah, figure we get some other isolated Mass Effect in two or three years that is basically Andromeda 1.5 (not related, but a similar boring open world blueprint) then they get shuttered a few years later when it doesn't sell 5 million. Dunno about another Dragon Age since I feel like there's more hope for a new ME than DA.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Reviews have editors yall

so what you're saying is that this is jeff's fault

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    in a less flippant tone, I'm reminded of Patrick and Austin talking recently about gamergate and the rise of the alt-right, and how Patrick wishes he spoke up sooner

he specifically said, regarding previews sites he worked for before Waypoint: "we were cowards"

I feel like Jeff has a very strong opinion about not getting involved in these matters, and this influences the site's output to a pretty strong degree. though I don't want to throw wild conjunctures as to why he thinks abstaining from dealing with these matters is the correct thing to do

I just can't help but think about how things would look like if Ryan was still around

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    You're right, Dan should be able to write whatever he wants, and GB can and should publish it.

South Park fucking sucks, and ignoring it's flaws sucks too. That's all I really wanted to say.

• Options
    Jeff eventually put out a statement saying that they hadn't chimed in in gamergate because they didn't want to signal boost it by denouncing it, but it had become clear that it wasn't going away and they needed to loudly say they were against it

Based on that and how he's responded to GG shit since then I think he'd agree wholeheartedly with Patrick saying that they were cowards

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    They didn't shy away from calling out the Palmer Luckey bullshit at the GotY podcasts, at least.

"There's no hotter mess than white supremacy" indeed.

• Options
    edited October 2017

Yeah, figure we get some other isolated Mass Effect in two or three years that is basically Andromeda 1.5 (not related, but a similar boring open world blueprint) then they get shuttered a few years later when it doesn't sell 5 million. Dunno about another Dragon Age since I feel like there's more hope for a new ME than DA.

If this Anthem thing isn't massive, it could get ugly at Bioware.

It's been a while since anything they've done has been generally well received.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

If this Anthem thing isn't massive, it could ugly at Bioware.

Inquisition did okay didn't it

Wasn't that the last game they put out before andromeda

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

DA:I was generally very well received?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

For all the people who gripe about it online, I'm pretty sure Inquisition did quite well both critically and financially.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Veldrin wrote: »
    You know, I’m sure there are legitimate reasons that folks like Ryckert and continue to follow the stuff he does.

But it feels like literally everything I see in these threads about him further cements my desire to engage with his brand as little as I possibly can.

it's because people loooooooooooove love love to complain about him as much as possible, whenever possible

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Inquisition was great.

All the Dragon Age games have been great.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Yup.

Also TOR is doing tons of money for them. (but that's Bioware Austin, not main Bioware).

For that matter Andromeda wasn't a "real" Bioware game either and that studio got shut down right quick.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Finished Marielda - I was definitely way invested in that final arc and Austin's final speech fucking ruined me
    I am greatly enjoying that Autumn in Hieron recap episodes continue using Samol's narration because I could listen to Austin talk like that all day

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Inquisition was great.

The story was really good in inquisition but the gameplay, combat, and especially crafting lost me really quickly and I never finished it because of that.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Inquisition was great.

The story was really good in inquisition but the gameplay, combat, and especially crafting lost me really quickly and I never finished it because of that.

That was the monkey's paw wish of people complaining about the lack of content in DA2.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Inquisition was great.

I thought the opposite! I really enjoyed the combat and gameplay, but found the story lacking.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just can’t wait for this Beastcast with lots of sighing and eyerolling when Dan talks about how great South Park is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Inquisition was great.

That was the monkey's paw wish of people complaining about the lack of content in DA2.

I wish they had given DA2 time to finish its art assets so the game could have gotten the respect it deserves.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    You know, I’m sure there are legitimate reasons that folks like Ryckert and continue to follow the stuff he does.

But it feels like literally everything I see in these threads about him further cements my desire to engage with his brand as little as I possibly can.

it's because people loooooooooooove love love to complain about him as much as possible, whenever possible

People love to talk about what they want changed more than they want to talk about what they want to stay the same

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I wanna hold on to my reaction to Marielda a bit longer because I want to see how Winter in Hieron pans out

Especially wanna see how Siej's storyline plays into the greater lore

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    huh, finally found the new archives wiki for FatT and realized that a) I've been spelling so many characters' names wrong in my head and b) I need to be really careful browsing this because spoilers are literally everywhere

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

People love to talk about what they want changed more than they want to talk about what they want to stay the same

Yeah, I don't enjoy complaining about Dan. It's because I generally like him that his foibles are so frustrating. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't give a shit about any of the things that come up. When we complain about Dan it's because we want him to be better than that because we know he can be.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Yeah, I don't enjoy complaining about Dan. It's because I generally like him that his foibles are so frustrating. If I didn't like him, I wouldn't give a shit about any of the things that come up. When we complain about Dan it's because we want him to be better than that because we know he can be.

Exactly. Dan has grown as a person in his few years at Giantbomb. He's gone from saying he shouldn't be trusted with pets to having a dog, likes sour cream after snubbing it for decades, and has made attempts at trying things like Stardew which he initially had no interest in but now adore.

Dan just still has moments of being uninformed about a large amount of things outside his usual routine.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Dragon age 4 will release

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.