As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I do think there absolutely needs to be more protection for employee use of social media in "off hours."<snip>

Maybe I'm nuts, but outside of the social media/communications team, I have zero expectation that employees will reply on their off time. I'd expect that with a large enough organization, they'd have some form of on call system for public relations.

I agree. But you're not suddenly not representing your company when talking about your work with your customers just because you're not on the clock.

You absolutely are. You're taking about work, to a customer, that is 100% representing the company because you're coming from a position of authority on the matter.

Further, twitter is a public forum. Not a quiet talk over beers in the corner.

If a thousand pairs of eyes can see what you say, you're representing something.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I do think there absolutely needs to be more protection for employee use of social media in "off hours."<snip>

Maybe I'm nuts, but outside of the social media/communications team, I have zero expectation that employees will reply on their off time. I'd expect that with a large enough organization, they'd have some form of on call system for public relations.

I agree. But you're not suddenly not representing your company when talking about your work with your customers just because you're not on the clock.

You absolutely are. You're taking about work, to a customer, that is 100% representing the company because you're coming from a position of authority on the matter.

If a thousand pairs of eyes can see what you say, you're representing something.

Right, that's what I said. I think my statement was just confusing.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Double negatives always mess people up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    What's everyone think about today's balance patch?

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/47306/game-update-notes-july-10-2018

I suspect my ele might be shelved for raiding... :(

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Leandriell wrote: »

They hurt my guardian again, right in the heals. >_<

But they added a nice new attack to the Guardian's offhand focus! It actually does good damage and it's fire and forget.

Sonork on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Leandriell wrote: »

The desert borderland's Air Keep gate bypass exploit was fixed, which was great news. Now the keep is worth defending again.
    Invulnerability now stopping conditions from applying damage makes a lot of sense. Yet it will also make fighting engineers that much more annoying, with that alchemy trait that automatically pops Elixir S.
    The blurred frenzy nerf really stings. I know mesmers are a menace in WvW (and probably sPvP), but as someone who uses my mesmer almost exclusively for solo or small group PvE stuff, it's going to make the character significantly harder to play.
    The soulbeast + beastmastery buff for rangers seems interesting.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Right, that's what I said. I think my statement was just confusing.

Hardly. I was agreeing with more than an ineffectual click.

• Options
    Dizzen wrote: »
    The soulbeast + beastmastery buff for rangers seems interesting.
    Yep! I've even playing condi sb for a while, looks like both condi and power sb will be competitive now. Time to dust off her old power gear and see what happens...

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    the soulbeast buff is for one particular build (that I didn't use before this patch). It's not too bad now, but still miles behind in survivability and damage that other classes have. More pets were nerfed again, so Anet seems to really be pushing the Soulbeast builds for anything competitive. Deadeyes got buffed again and they are enjoying it. There were also some subtle warrior shout buffs that people are liking.

Overall, no big changes to the meta, but some tweaks to very specific builds.

253J736.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    If your guess for stupidly exploitable patch bug was "something involving thieves", congrats, you win the prize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QB63liqxRQ

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Logged in last night for the first time in a ….year? or two? How the hell do you play this again? *rolls face across 1 through 4 keys*

Still looks pretty.

• Options
    Logged in last night for the first time in a ….year? or two? How the hell do you play this again? *rolls face across 1 through 4 keys*

Still looks pretty.

Welcome back Nosf, ask in guild chat if you've any specific questions and folks should be able to help out :)

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    If your guess for stupidly exploitable patch bug was "something involving thieves", congrats, you win the prize!

evidently it's a similar exploit/bug that was used by mesmers (or one of their advanced classes).

253J736.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    What do you folks use your trade contracts on? I've got a cool 3k sitting around with no real idea what to burn them on.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    What do you folks use your trade contracts on? I've got a cool 3k sitting around with no real idea what to burn them on.
    Whenever I get a couple thousand, I find the priory historian and buy caches. Unidentifiable gear, exp, rare weapons, and sometimes stuff like bounty hunter gear and recipes pop out.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »

evidently it's a similar exploit/bug that was used by mesmers (or one of their advanced classes).

Yeah, it's a cooldown bug caused by a trait interaction, similar to the Shatter Storm bug back in April that let mesmers constantly spam their F1 ability (Mind Wrack, the power damage shatter).
    But looks like they got the thief thing fixed in the build they pushed today, much to the relief of the engineer players who wanted to see the safe return of their stolen actions-per-minute crown.

• Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular

Hit up the various heart vendors across POF for minipets, a set of armour skin recipe unlocks you'll need to craft, and other miscellany.

What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I think it's crazy so many people are interacting with the (public) internet with their real names. Everyone would have agreed how stupid it would be to do that back in 1999. Can we go back to everyone having a net handle like we do on this forum?

I bet if we all used real names on here, someone would get harassed pretty often for outspoken opinions.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm just reminded of the WoW CM Tseric's very public meltdown on the forums

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    I think it's crazy so many people are interacting with the (public) internet with their real names. Everyone would have agreed how stupid it would be to do that back in 1999. Can we go back to everyone having a net handle like we do on this forum?

I bet if we all used real names on here, someone would get harassed pretty often for outspoken opinions.

I think you'd also see a decrease in fuckwaddery if the aggressors no longer had that anonymity.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »

I think you'd also see a decrease in fuckwaddery if the aggressors no longer had that anonymity.

Facebook kind of proves that theory wrong, lot of people use their real name to be a fuck whit there. Twitter too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    The issue is that we thought having a person’s real name would make them think twice about things. This may have been the case for a short period, but people soon learned there are rarely consequences even with their full legal name present.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The other shoe has dropped and this is exactly what we were made at ArenaNet for potentially enabling. Or, it's not "potentially" anymore and now "just straight up what they've done."
    In the wake of the ArenaNet firings, women game devs are experiencing a new wave of online harassment.
    Article link here. Fuck off ArenaNet.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Arena Net is not responsible for the behavior of internet shitlords.

Price and Fries were let go because of their inappropriate behavior and representation of the company. If any of these women that are being targeted now end up losing their jobs, then yes, boycott all companies involved.

And to be clear, I don't condone this wave of harrassment. In fact it frustrates the shit out of me. Hopefully these trolls are ignored, and they fuck off when they realize they can't game the system like that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Harassing people is garbage people and it's always wrong and i will die on that hill.

But it's not Arena nets fault that a bunch of shit heads jumped onto the controversy to be garbage people. It's like people who join riots just so they can break windows and steal stuff.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Harassing people is garbage people and it's always wrong and i will die on that hill.

But it's not Arena nets fault that a bunch of shit heads jumped onto the controversy to be garbage people. It's like people who join riots just so they can break windows and steal stuff.

As the saying goes, "once you pay the danesgeld, you'll never get rid of the Dane." Their caving opened the floodgates.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

As the saying goes, "once you pay the danesgeld, you'll never get rid of the Dane." Their caving opened the floodgates.

Yep. Them firing someone for being an ass on twitter instead of dealing with it internally due to idiots whining on reddit empowered said whiners on reddit.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Yep. Them firing someone for being an ass on twitter instead of dealing with it internally due to idiots whining on reddit empowered said whiners on reddit.

And now they're sending attacks all over - and fucking up the mail merge, as there are reports of these messages getting delivered to harass "%FEMALENAME".

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Arena Net is not responsible for the behavior of internet shitlords.

Price and Fries were let go because of their inappropriate behavior and representation of the company. If any of these women that are being targeted now end up losing their jobs, then yes, boycott all companies involved.

And to be clear, I don't condone this wave of harrassment. In fact it frustrates the shit out of me. Hopefully these trolls are ignored, and they fuck off when they realize they can't game the system like that.

The problem is these hate mobs online harass devs especially female ones constantly and are getting worse and worse and more and more emboldened to be terrible. I am frankly shocked we have not seen more female devs/CM lose their shit online given the amount of shit I have seen them take eventually you just start assuming everybody is being a mysoginistic asshat and responding accordingly. The whole GW2 thing smacks of that somebody who had been dealing with so much of it that they started just reading that tone into everything everybody was saying until they snapped.

Then the way arena net handled it just handed the trolls a "win" and it just makes them that much more aggressive to the next lady dev until that person snaps and gets fired and so on and on and on.

• Options
    As long as people can be anonymous there will always be assholes and bullying anyplace people can interact online. These people were assholes before this happened and they will be assholes afterwards. That online harassment happens is awful, but you can't blame Arenanet for it.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The other shoe has dropped and this is exactly what we were made at ArenaNet for potentially enabling. Or, it's not "potentially" anymore and now "just straight up what they've done."
    In the wake of the ArenaNet firings, women game devs are experiencing a new wave of online harassment.

ArenaNet has to act in consideration of what is best for its game and its community, not the perceived impact it will have on culture war issues. Good policy needs to prevail over political expediency.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Sonork wrote: »
    As long as people can be anonymous there will always be assholes and bullying anyplace people can interact online. These people were assholes before this happened and they will be assholes afterwards. That online harassment happens is awful, but you can't blame Arenanet for it.

You can when there's a causal chain. This wave of harassment (again, we're seeing reports of improperly merged letters being sent that clearly shows that women in the industry are being targeted) did not happen in a vacuum - it happened because the head of ArenaNet caved, and now they think they can get others to do the same.

• Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

ArenaNet has to act in consideration of what is best for its game and its community, not the perceived impact it will have on culture war issues. Good policy needs to prevail over political expediency.

In that case, tossing your staff under the bus is a horrible decision. They are going to bleed staff now, as anyone who has other options is going to be looking long and hard at whether they want to stay at a workplace where management has clearly shown that they don't have their back.

• Options

In that case, tossing your staff under the bus is a horrible decision. They are going to bleed staff now, as anyone who has other options is going to be looking long and hard at whether they want to stay at a workplace where management has clearly shown that they don't have their back.

Don't have their back when they attack the community? Sure I'm pretty sure literally no job has your back in that circumstance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Don't have their back when they attack the community? Sure I'm pretty sure literally no job has your back in that circumstance.

Please, explain how she "attacked the community" by being abrupt with someone interjecting into a conversation about issues with game development. Your argument presupposes that employees are owned by the company 24/7.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I just decided to jump back into GW2 after probably more than a year absence. What's new in her...OH GOD.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You actually do have some kind of moral obligation to consider what kind of an effect your actions will have on the greater community. Unless your idea of an ideal society is a myopic hellscape where you only act 100% in the company's interest.

Slavish dedication to customers leads to the kind of terrible experience we have in places like retail work, where customers have been taught that they can act like petulant children at employees and will be rewarded by management bending over backwards to shut them up.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure all views on this matter have been talked to death and right now people are just repeating themselves. At this point I don't think anything can be done one way or another. I also don't think anyones views are gonna change if they haven't already.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    We'll determine if the topic has been going on too long. It's still relatively recent news, but if things get out of control then you will all be told to move on.

If you'd rather get back to discussing the game proper, then...just do that. It's the absolutely the best way to get a conversation going where you want it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    By doing what Arenanet did they sent a clear signal that a targeted campaign against someone who made the mistake of doing something to rile up the gaters would work.

Their rush to appease the mob is absolutely amoral.

Especially when it was done with such a naive, at best, understanding of the motivations of that mob.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm