As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    The Skyscale unlock is ridiculous! This thing better fly me to the moon and back when I'm done.

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    In theory, it's the cheaper alternative to the griffin, at the cost of a lot more legwork.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    If you have alts you can park at the glint rich quartz deposit in crystal desert for charged quartz it will help a lot later. Having enough treats to clear the rougher jumping puzzles(or all of them. ^.^) makes that step a lot less painful.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    If you have alts you can park at the glint rich quartz deposit in crystal desert for charged quartz it will help a lot later. Having enough treats to clear the rougher jumping puzzles(or all of them. ^.^) makes that step a lot less painful.

Good point! I looked in my bank. I knew I had a pile of regular quartz crystals but somehow I've acquired some charged quartz along the way so I've got an unexpected headstart on things.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    just fyi to y'all, I've been v e r y slowly still dumping stuff into the Guild Hall. Hoping to get us the final tier of Mining Rate at least; that's rate limited by Charged Quartz, but I am working on it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Got the Griffon. Saw an event of facebook for Roller Beetle race competitions, but it was in EU. Was really looking forward to it. So I found all the races for the beetle, but I still need to fully unlock all of his masteries.

Moving forward to LW S4 story for Mastery Points. I'm actually enjoying the story and characters. Palawa Joko is great. His end was unexpected and fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Been a busy couple of weeks. Finished the story, got my skyscale, and used that to go around unlocking hero points on a bunch of my characters. I still need to finish up making Mawdrey but I can do that whenever.

Edit: Oh! I also got world completion on a character for the first time ever.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Man,

I'm trying to pop back in to this game. I want to play around in Fractals on my Chronomancer but they did some significant changes to Chronos in the last few patches, and unfortunately the entire GW2 internet is having a breakdown over this. Does anyone have any good ideas for a relatively inexpensive introductory Chronomancer build for Fractals?

I have (apparently?) a bunch of healing gear for some reason, and I've got 15 agony resist which is nice, but I don't really know what's up with Chronos right now and the forums are a nightmare, Reddit isn't helpful, and Metabattle is incredibly out of date.

H...halp?

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Man,

I'm trying to pop back in to this game. I want to play around in Fractals on my Chronomancer but they did some significant changes to Chronos in the last few patches, and unfortunately the entire GW2 internet is having a breakdown over this. Does anyone have any good ideas for a relatively inexpensive introductory Chronomancer build for Fractals?

I have (apparently?) a bunch of healing gear for some reason, and I've got 15 agony resist which is nice, but I don't really know what's up with Chronos right now and the forums are a nightmare, Reddit isn't helpful, and Metabattle is incredibly out of date.

H...halp?

Try to catch @naengwen in-game or in-thread

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I've been playing Guild Wars 1 lately out of nostalgia. If anyone else wants to tag along, I'm currently running my Monk through the Nightfall story. IGN is Ryuu Tenshi.

Doing so made me realize that Lonaihad a MUCH bigger role than I had remembered -- she's the main questgiver for rebuilding the Sunspear Sanctuary. Which... means it's kind of a shame that we had to kill her to keep her out of Joko's hands, 'cause freeing her and having her in the Sanctuary would have been neat.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Finished the achievements for the lunatic set and pumpkin head piece yesterday. People were getting pretty riled with the clock tower. Unlocked roughly half of the mad realm weapon skin from stashed black lion keys. I'm thinking of buying the rest after the price bottoms out. Opened the red polywhoozeywhatzit infusion out of one of the bags too. =P

• Options
    I've never finished the clock tower jumping puzzle. I don't think I've ever even made it half way.

• Options
    It's surprisingly short, and the tough parts are front loaded. If you make it to the drop down to the second chest the hard bits are done. I did have to switch from asura to sylvari for it though. My asura was getting stuck on random stuff the sylvari doesn't.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Tried that Clocktower for 2 or 3 years. Never finished it, might have to try again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    For me, clock tower has been a journey.

The first year, I tried.. a lot. I hurt my wrist in the end, and got grumpy with myself for not managing it.
    The following year I managed it near the end of the festival.
    Next few years I did it once each year to check I still could!
    Last year I did the run 25 times achis over the course of a few nights.
    This year I did it first time :)

Practice, persevere and give yourself time. It'll pay off :)

• Options
    edited October 2019
    warder808 wrote: »
    Tried that Clocktower for 2 or 3 years. Never finished it, might have to try again.

They've made some welcome changes. I don't seem to spend as much time standing around waiting to get started. They've also made it so everyone else looks like a wisp while you're climbing the tower which makes it easier to see what you're doing. Not sure when that was changed because it's been a few years since the last time I tried it.

I finally managed to finish it this year for the first time. Now I find out there's an achievement for finishing it a bunch of times.
    /headdesk

Also! It helps to youtube it so you know what to expect. I got to the first chest and thought,"That's it? Two trick or treat bags? wtf?!". Then I realized I should probably keep going but it was too late.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Finishing it 3 times rewards a piece for the lunatic set. ^.^

• Options
    Hmmmmm I think I need to actually farm for the lunatic gear on my Chronomancer and my Ranger, at the minimum...I guess I need to learn how to do the achievements? Or just figure out the best way to farm the bags for candy corn...

• Options
    Well I got two pieces of lunatic gear for my chrono...need to do the Story Dungeon, the Race, the "Mad King Says" and also...the jumping puzzle three times...

-_-

• Options
    Hmmmmm I think I need to actually farm for the lunatic gear on my Chronomancer and my Ranger, at the minimum...I guess I need to learn how to do the achievements? Or just figure out the best way to farm the bags for candy corn...

For bags, look for a group under the LFG tool(festival, large holiday group) running the labyrinth and join them. Basically they just run around killing stuff. The big thing is the doors that spit out lots of enemies.

• Options
    Well I got two pieces of lunatic gear for my chrono...need to do the Story Dungeon, the Race, the "Mad King Says" and also...the jumping puzzle three times...

-_-

Jackal is really good for the race. The story dungeon isn't bad, but you might want to look up the symbols for the emote clicks in a video before doing it. Mad king says is every 2 hours, and you need 3 for that as well. Lunatic fashion is required for one of the last steps of one of the scavenger hunts too. I need to carve ~20 more pumpkins to finish that achievement. =P

• Options
    Okay, did all the armor achievements except the damn jumping puzzle, so I guess I just need to farm stuff to make the boots, since I'm never going to be able to do it once, let alone three times.

Ascent to Madness is really fun, and easy to do with even a small group so that's nice!

More fun that mindless labyrinth zergs, at least...

• Options
    Whew! Did the jumping puzzle and got the full set of lunatic cloth gear for my mesmer. Popped it all into diviner stats and threw a full set of runes of the pack into it. My other gear slots (rings etc) need some help but rn I'm sitting at decent power, 40-ish percent boon duration, and good ferocity as well

Running around with sword/shield + greatsword seems pretty fun. I can stack slows on people, which gives me crit, and I do more damage when I crit and I can keep quickness and alacrity up pretty long as well

Chronooo

• Options
    Haz a sad because I need to level weaponsmithing and huntsman so I can finish unlocking the ascended weapons for a couple elite spec weapon collections. God I hate crafting in this game.

• Options
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Haz a sad because I need to level weaponsmithing and huntsman so I can finish unlocking the ascended weapons for a couple elite spec weapon collections. God I hate crafting in this game.

Crafting is literally my least favorite thing in any game. I actually like the gathering aspect, especially since I can usually sell it for some money and then buy new clothes, but crafting suckssss.

I'm leveling Leatherwork on my ranger and Cooking on my Necro and so far that's all I've had energy to do, and neither is above like ...200

• Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Are you supposed to be able to loot the chest more than once (per year?) in Ascent to Madness? I seem to have only been able loot it twice on one account and none(?) on my other account. Is there something that bugs out with the mission?

• Options
    I've looted it multiple times a day, so it might be a bug. A lot of the time it just has trick or treat bags so it sometimes gets lost in the swing.

In other news, I've gotten all the Halloween achievements I care to get, and am just joining zergs and farming the Labyrinth, which is pretty fun, but it's going to go away sometime soon and I want to keep playing.

What do people do at the endgame? I like my Chrono and fractals seem fun to do, but I also like big zergy world events. Where should I head with him? I'm going to play around in fractals for a bit, but what world events or open world stuff do people regularly do?

• Options
    Basically this event has been great for me. Jump in, do a few dungeon runs, jump in a zerg for an hour, do more dungeon runs, etc etc

How can I get that same experience but in PvE when the event is over?

• Options
    Basically this event has been great for me. Jump in, do a few dungeon runs, jump in a zerg for an hour, do more dungeon runs, etc etc

How can I get that same experience but in PvE when the event is over?

That's a good question. I'm not sure there's anything equivalent.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Silverwastes, Dragonfall, Istan, and Dragonstand are pretty similar in terms of run around with a big group fighting large groups of enemies with some bosses thrown in (and with some more depth than labyrinth). Fractals and the strike mission are the closest thing to ascent to madness.

• Options
    I forgot about the silverwastes, that's right. Do people still do that?

• Options
    I forgot about the silverwastes, that's right. Do people still do that?

Yes, maybe not as much with Halloween. I ended up running it for a while to get the last few core tyria mastery points from the legendary widgets.

• Options
    Okay, so I think @naengwen is our resident mesmer/chrono expert right?

So I'm currently playing a Support Chronomancer using this build for open world zerg stuff and fractals.

The thing is, I don't like how dual swords plays, and I really love greatsword. But! I don't like or understand the rotation for Greatsword + Sword/Sword Chronomancer for DPS.

What I want to try and do is thread the needle between the two builds and use Greatsword + Sword/Shield.

I'm torn between two trait choices here, and I want some feedback. My main goal will be, like I said, running in zergs and playing in Fractals. I can see this working pretty well for some decent (maybe not cutting edge) DPS and some good boon uptime for my party/zerg but I don't know if the choices drop the DPS too low to be even useful.

So for the first build, I'd go something like this, simply swapping out the inspirations line for Domination. The downside here is that it loses the buff to Inscriptions, meaning my Signet of Inspiration only hits 5 people instead of 10, and I don't pass Aegis to my team when I hit a signet.

On the other hand...this build drops dueling, which isn't the best....but might be the middle ground between DPS and buffing my party.

The gear in all these builds is literally what my guy is wearing, and I'm not super rich yet so I'm not looking to buy a bunch of weapon upgrades that I can't afford (like Force or Concentration for my weapons).

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So the good news is with fractals you don't really need much of what inspiration offers in most groups, provided you have a dedicated healer. So you're free to drop it whenever you please. Generally the order of priority for other trees when using a greatsword is domination > dueling > illusions > chaos > inspiration, though the last two are situational depending on what pain point you're trying to address. Take chaos if you need to stay up longer, inspiration if you or your healer needs an extra bump in condi cleanse or some extra heals.

The thing with greatsword is that it pairs well with a sword rotation, but it's hard to justify with a shield. Generally in a greatsword/sword/sword rotation you're in greatsword just long enough to chain all your 2-5 skills together with signet of ether and whatever damage utilities you have, cause the autoattack is pretty terrible in damage, then you spend the rest of the time in sword casting sword phantasm. The good news is you can still do that with a shield, making it an adequate build for fractals. The bad news is it doesn't offer you much of a better choice than going sword sword shield, and for many fractals you want a focus in there to help with add pulls too.

That said it still works so I'd say go for it :) remember that as a chronomancer your highest damage skills revolve around your sword and phantasms, so always prioritize using those. In particular with signet of the ether, make sure you clear any phantasm cooldowns you have up before using signet; even shield phantasms as it gives slow which can help you with danger time. That's the main aspect of the DPS rotation that you want to carry with you. It also means if you have 3 clones up for continuum split that you have an opportunity for some extra damage if you're feeling saucy; after you're done casting your quickness and alacrity cooldowns, hit your phtantasms, signet of ether, and phantasms if you still have time. It's especially deadly if you took illusions and have someone in the group feeding you might.

At the end of the day I advise you to watch what your group is doing for gauging your utility. If they are on top of their game,pulling mobs and keeping you healed, go nuts with this or the sword sword build, they'll both do decent damage if played well(aka fill greatsword with as many cooldowns as possible before swapping back to regular sword for autoattack). If they're having trouble with add control - in my definition add control is making sure there are never any ranged adds pinging you from outside melee range - then you are better served sacrificing that damage and bringing a focus. Remember, you're still a support role, expectations for damage are low but there is a lot of tools at your disposal to fix group wipes.

naengwen on
  • Options
    naengwen wrote: »
    So the good news is with fractals you don't really need much of what inspiration offers in most groups, provided you have a dedicated healer. So you're free to drop it whenever you please. Generally the order of priority for other trees when using a greatsword is domination > dueling > illusions > chaos > inspiration, though the last two are situational depending on what pain point you're trying to address. Take chaos if you need to stay up longer, inspiration if you or your healer needs an extra bump in condi cleanse or some extra heals.

The thing with greatsword is that it pairs well with a sword rotation, but it's hard to justify with a shield. Generally in a greatsword/sword/sword rotation you're in greatsword just long enough to chain all your 2-5 skills together with signet of ether and whatever damage utilities you have, cause the autoattack is pretty terrible in damage, then you spend the rest of the time in sword casting sword phantasm. The good news is you can still do that with a shield, making it an adequate build for fractals. The bad news is it doesn't offer you much of a better choice than going sword sword shield, and for many fractals you want a focus in there to help with add pulls too.

That said it still works so I'd say go for it :) remember that as a chronomancer your highest damage skills revolve around your sword and phantasms, so always prioritize using those. In particular with signet of the ether, make sure you clear any phantasm cooldowns you have up before using signet; even shield phantasms as it gives slow which can help you with danger time. That's the main aspect of the DPS rotation that you want to carry with you. It also means if you have 3 clones up for continuum split that you have an opportunity for some extra damage if you're feeling saucy; after you're done casting your quickness and alacrity cooldowns, hit your phtantasms, signet of ether, and phantasms if you still have time. It's especially deadly if you took illusions and have someone in the group feeding you might.

At the end of the day I advise you to watch what your group is doing for gauging your utility. If they are on top of their game,pulling mobs and keeping you healed, go nuts with this or the sword sword build, they'll both do decent damage if played well(aka fill greatsword with as many cooldowns as possible before swapping back to regular sword for autoattack). If they're having trouble with add control - in my definition add control is making sure there are never any ranged adds pinging you from outside melee range - then you are better served sacrificing that damage and bringing a focus. Remember, you're still a support role, expectations for damage are low but there is a lot of tools at your disposal to fix group wipes.

Thanks, this is really good advice!

I actually played around with all three builds last night on the smallest test golem in the testing ground or whatever. I didn't install a DPS meter, so I just watched how quickly I could bring it down with each build, and I got it down pretty fast using greatsword +sword/shield and using Domination/Dueling/Chrono and playing exactly like you mentioned.

I'd start the fight by throwing out my greatsword 2,3,4, hit ether, hit 4 again, swap into sword/shield and hit 3 for the extra clone, then enter split and toss out my tides+inspiration+wells+time warp, then do most of that again outside of the warp

Hit my sword 2 and then swap to greatsword and basically start all over again. Downed the golem in something like 160 seconds, which I was pretty proud of.

So I jumped into fractals, and it was kind of a different story. We killed things so quickly that I didn't really have time to get anything near a rotation out, except on bosses, so I mostly just parked in Sword/Shield and threw out Tides of Time and Wells and mashed inspiration when I saw people had a lot of buffs.

I'm not the biggest fan of the focus, but I might play around with that next for the utility, mostly the speed buff would have been really helpful in a few places.

• Options
    If fractals are going well, you will not have time for a full rotation except for bosses. That's when you want the focus - if you stack the mobs together, they die faster. That winds up being the biggest contributing factor to safe, stable clears in Fractals - focus less on damage, more on crowd control. Focus 4, pull mobs into a single spot, swap to your shield, tides of time, and if they're still alive, gravity well and shatter F3.

• Options
    Okay, you've convinced me, I'll try it out. At least I already spent a lot of transmutation stones turning all available equipment I had into Peacemaker gear

A question though- I have exotic weapons with Berserker stats for the following slots: Shield, two swords, greatsword, focus

Right now they have like, Sigils of rage etc. Would it be worth it to shell out the 40-ish gold and get Sigils of force and concentration in them or should I wait for ascended weapons?

• Options
    Wait for ascended. For now most folks won't notice if you just get the major variant of those runes/sigils, or something else entirely. Save the big money spending for the big money equipment.

• Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    Speaking of ascended, finally putting a sizable dent in my mithril stockpiles into mithrillium... only dreading the fact I'm putting off collecting Tyria's actual most valuable ore... iron.

I guess the best strategy is to put the dozen or so waypoints near probably rich nodes into my personal guild's motd and just train ride all my characters thru them.

• Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Have been getting back into Guild Wars 2 after a long break. For some reason I always get a strong desire to play in the fall. Probably due to changing temperatures and being less likely to hang outside.

I don't see much chatter in the guild. I wasnt active much when I joined last time when POF came out but remember a lot of people online. Back when I played before I just did dailies and low level fractals. I always had this problem where I couldn't figure out what to do and just did nothing. But this time around I've found things to focus on like masteries and farming LW3 maps. I am one chapter away from POF and I'm excited to get into it. I have always played through the story with a friend so it's been a slow crawl.

Do guild events still happen at all? There used to be weekly get togethers for missions. Like I days, never was active, just did my dailies quietly. I still feel very new to this game!

Hope to be active for months to come! Main is Lanitc.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8