As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I was already running rabid double staff mirage for open world, so the patch just made me better/faster/stronger in every way. Of course, now I'm certain it's going to be nerfed and break the original build I've enjoyed so much.

We shall see.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2VBhCUnnE

The "unlock Season 2 Again" event is about to start.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2VBhCUnnE

The "unlock Season 2 Again" event is about to start.

seriously if you didn't get S2 the first time around and have a strong desire to play it ~FOR FREE!~ log in NOW

Free content y'all! It's... it's mostly mediocre though the actual maps are Very Good. Get it.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    so im probably going to hop back into this for a bit. what do we think the chances are that when the next expansion comes out it comes with path of flame for free? because i wouldnt want to pay $30 now, only for the expansion to come out in a couple months and then could have got it for free.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Logged into Guild Wars 1 to find I'm now the guild leader for the PA guild, KCHS. My 16 year rise to power is complete.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    1 is still playable? I wonder if I should take the wife on a tour...

• Options

Absolutely! They even recently did an HD texture update and added a few new Elite skills (one per class).

• Options

There are a lot of nostalgia goggles for GW1 on the internet but it's certainly very rough these days.

I started a new character and played through Prophecies a couple of months ago but shelved it when I got to Lion's Arch and started again in Nightfall. Prophecies is very dated and the story isn't worth it to push through.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    btw, would recommend folks jump on, not just for the episodes, but because there's an awesome meta associated with redoing them. And so far the meta is fairly simple stuff, like gathering materials in Dry Top, or doing 10 events (you do about 20 in the span of an average Dry Top meta), or redoing the story steps (no achievements, just redo the story itself).

The rewards include:
    - A voucher for a free gen 3 legendary precursor
    - A 32 slot bag
    - A legendary amulet (no crafting necessary, they just give you a legendary)

We'll see how far it goes.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Man getting back into this is rough. I basically have no idea what I was working towards. I had an extra set of armor on my guardian that I'm still not quite sure why I have it. I have no idea what an optimal rotation really is. I've just done some auric basins and a kill mordremoth map, along with just the regular bosses on timers. I wanted to start getting ascended armor but armorsmithing isn't even leveled on my guardian. But leather working is leveled on my thief so maybe I would rather do that. I only have like 50g but could sell a stack of ectos for about another 50.

• Options
    See how many mystic coins you have lying around. They're worth a fair bit these days.

• Options
    Welp, at least that staff mirage nerf didn't take very long to implement - mesmer patch whiplash is real. Doesn't affect me in the open world much, just a less DPS and boons but still pretty fun to play. I'll probably just keep my kit in place (double staff for open world, axe/torch for fractals and strikes when I rarely go into them).

I find myself really missing playing a straight healer/support, though. After spending a few months back in WoW healing, I always miss it when I spend more time in GW2. I'll have to poke around and see what the current healers are and if they can easily repurpose for open world or just work as both.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I think most classes have a heal spec now that works. I'll just give a general list and what they do and don't, ranked by how excited I am about the spec as a healer. If you want actual meta healer just do a heal firebrand, if you want to make every fight easy as hell do heal scourge.

1) This patch saw a big fat boost to Heal Scrapper, the added quickness gives it a support edge that it was previously missing. Demonstrated versions saw this build doubling as a tank, though the latest patch might give it an edge to start expanding out into a more dedicated healing role.
    + Good sustain
    + Quickness, Might
    + Easy rotation
    + Naturally tanky
    - Not much damage
    - Eats up your utility skills
    - General meta doesn't know where to put it yet

2) Heal Tempest is incredibly good at keeping your group alive, ridiculous sustain and some of the best burst healing the game has to offer. iirc the issue folks have with it is that its current mix of boons don't gel with other specs, and the healing is a bit overkill for most encounters. Those are silly though, if you wanna heal with an ele it's there and ele's setup lets you swap pretty nicely to damage in open world as well. I think there's also a weaver variant that's picked up in popularity as well, but I haven't done much weaver.
    + Crazy sustain
    + Might, Fury uptime
    + Relatively good damage when people aren't dumb
    + One of the easier ele specs to figure out (wow, just camp air and swap to water when people get ouchies, amazing)
    - Glassy
    - Low CC
    - No group quickness/alacrity
    - Overheal master

3) Heal Scourge is your Discipline Priest equivalent, which means it's actually the best heal spec in the entire game even though a bunch of people will tell you it's not. They still have not balanced any PvE content around barrier. Any spec that gives barrier with heals will just be plain better, and thats not even counting the other billion things a heal necro gives you.

+ Barrier
    + Barrier
    + Barrier
    + Some other things too I'm sure
    - Whiny reddit nerds

4) Druid has not budged an inch from its existing place as the defacto awesome heal spec. Has a bit of trouble in open world but you can always just swap to soulbeast for that.

+ Great sustain
    + Easy to figure out (heal to get celestial, enter celestial, spam skills for might)
    + Might, Fury uptime
    + Decent access to CC
    - Kinda boring

5) Heal Firebrand is the current hot meta thing, in particular as people are trying to figure out how condi support works. Not sure it'll work just yet but just going pure heal works great anyways.

+ ALL BOONS
    + Loads of Aegis
    + Good sustain
    + Easy rotation
    - Eats up your utility skills
    - ANet's next nerf target so expect some whiplash here as well

6) Heal Renegade and Herald are on the cusp of being incredible. Energy and legends are the main drawback here, their sustain is a lot harder than other support specs because of energy, but if you like resource management classes this might be worth a look.
    + Boons and Alacrity
    + Unique buffs that other classes can't bring (kalla elite is super OP)
    + Can do decent damage even in support mode
    + Projectile block king
    - Lack of decent burst
    - Energy can impact sustain
    - Legend swapping is a pain

Here's what works as support but not as a healer:

7) Don't do a Heal Mesmer. Yeah they're getting boosts but their sustain is an absolute joke. These are not your healer.
    + Alacrity (Chrono and Mirage now even)
    + Great damage
    + Great tanking (we have a billion active defense skills)
    - No regen
    - Sustain is pathetic
    - Our closest thing to a burst heal has a 2 second delay after casting before the burst part happens so good luck telling people to stand still for 2 seconds

8) Don't do a Heal Thief. It works on exactly 2 raid fights, and ANet is nerfing the ability that does that.
    + Venoms are unique buffs
    + Great damage
    - Hey where all the heals at

9) Don't do a Heal Warrior. If anyone tells you there is a heal warrior spec they're lying. That may change with EoD, but right now there is nothing.
    + Shouts are neat
    + Banners are neat even post nerf
    + Great CC
    - Like, there's some damage reduction but does anything here even heal anyone other than yourself more than a couple hundred a tick?
    - Fuck, even spellbreaker's barrier is like self only and has a massive cooldown
    - ANet where's the heal warrior love?

EDIT: should note that list is PvE centric, I will not knock the silly fun that is medic thief in WvW or the beastmode that is rampage warrior in PvP.

naengwen on
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    I think most classes have a heal spec now that works. I'll just give a general list and what they do and don't, ranked by how excited I am about the spec as a healer. If you want actual meta healer just do a heal firebrand, if you want to make every fight easy as hell do heal scourge.

2) Heal Tempest is incredibly good at keeping your group alive, ridiculous sustain and some of the best burst healing the game has to offer. iirc the issue folks have with it is that its current mix of boons don't gel with other specs, and the healing is a bit overkill for most encounters. Those are silly though, if you wanna heal with an ele it's there and ele's setup lets you swap pretty nicely to damage in open world as well. I think there's also a weaver variant that's picked up in popularity as well, but I haven't done much weaver.
    + Crazy sustain
    + Might, Fury uptime
    + Relatively good damage when people aren't dumb
    + One of the easier ele specs to figure out (wow, just camp air and swap to water when people get ouchies, amazing)
    - Glassy
    - Low CC
    - No group quickness/alacrity
    - Overheal master

That depends ;) I've got 3 heal specs I rotate between depending on the group composition, and I'm sure there are others out there!
    • There's magi staff ridiculousness for when your group really can't dodge/want to ignore all the mechanics. Does approximately 0 dps camping water for autoattack heals (I remember getting a sarcastic message one raid saying "wow, you actually hit 4 figure dps this time ;)". Something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Support_Healer. Minimal piano required :)
    • There's auramancer harrier s/w variant for small group work, which I tend to run for DRMs, but often the might/fury generation isn't needed depending on the rest of the comps, or folks run all over the place and out of the range of shouts :(. Does halfway decent DPS though. Similar to https://snowcrows.com/raids/builds/elementalist/tempest/heal/, but running scepter for ranged options. Some piano required. Depending on group comp, can drop Zephyr's boon for Ferocious winds
    • I've been playing around with a full celestial hybrid aura build, results TBC. Based on the above, drops Unstable conduit for Eye of the Storm, and Cleansing Wave for Flow Like Water. Piano required :)

• Options
    Thanks, both of you. Really great information.

In theory, I'm most interested in finally figuring out how to play Tempest/Weaver. In practice, these hands aren't getting *more* dextrous as I age, so I don't know if I'm up for the piano lessons.

Got some free time this weekend with the boss out of town. Looking forward to playing through the S2 revisit and doing all these little mini-cheevos on a newish character. Been a long time since I intentionally went to Dry Top.

• Options
    In theory, I'm most interested in finally figuring out how to play Tempest/Weaver. In practice, these hands aren't getting *more* dextrous as I age, so I don't know if I'm up for the piano lessons

I've tended to find tempest more survivable and slightly less piano (horray for channelling overloads). If you're going for open world, drop all the conjour weapons to reduce piano and take the lesser and elite elementals instead. If doing that I tend to run the inscription trait too.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Leandriell wrote: »
    In theory, I'm most interested in finally figuring out how to play Tempest/Weaver. In practice, these hands aren't getting *more* dextrous as I age, so I don't know if I'm up for the piano lessons

I've tended to find tempest more survivable and slightly less piano (horray for channelling overloads). If you're going for open world, drop all the conjour weapons to reduce piano and take the lesser and elite elementals instead. If doing that I tend to run the inscription trait too.

Nice, thanks!

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    Precursor crafting appears to be some kind of sick joke. 15,180 Elder wood logs fuck you.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Just swung through to see if the game is still alive. It is almost 10 years old! That's bonkers! Good on ya GW2.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Precursor crafting appears to be some kind of sick joke. 15,180 Elder wood logs fuck you.

Large parts of how I crafted the shining blade are kind of hazy. I do remember at some point afking for more than 10 minutes crafting planks.

• Options
    I noticed, on crafting recently, that they've finally updating all basic refinements in crafting to use the max crafting speed.

• Options
    Well that was unexpected...

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/arenanet-studio-update-july-2021/

End of Dragons pushed back :(
    Colin J back!
    Alliances actually happening :o

• Options
    Also mesmer dagger spec teased, DirectX 11 actually gonna be a thing, Grouch is also back as head of live operations, and a general re commitment to the future of the game :D am very hype!

• Options
    /falls down a pile of hype train meems like it's late 2013 again

• Options
    i wish they would do another balance patch or something. pvp is in a pretty bad state. there was a tournament the other day and the grand finals had 5 necros in the game. there are some problems when out of all the classes HALF of a match was made up of one of them.

• Options
    Begone, Magic Spheres!
    Legendary trinkets that are available with and without visual effects, like Conflux and Transcendence, will now feature a visibility toggle for their effects.

Very important detail in the legendary armoury update

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-legendary-armory-arrives-july-13/

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Literally saying to Lea last night that the only thing keeping me from making them is that I often find the visual effects on the trinkets very irritating. Guess I have a few more pre-expansion projects to work on now!

EDIT: Upon further reading, it appears this only applies to the ones that already have a "non-shiny" version. It looks like it won't apply to the other busy ones: vision, aurora, etc :( Bleh.

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    ..yet!

meanwhile.. we have to redo the chalice of tears.... :(

• Options
    Okay but will they add an option forme to turn off the neighing from that damn shortbow?

• Options
    Ok, two options:

Do Chalice of Tears, collect Aurora and the retrospective rewards.

Or

Quit and go back to WoW.

Hmmmm.....

• Options
    Literally saying to Lea last night that the only thing keeping me from making them is that I often find the visual effects on the trinkets very irritating. Guess I have a few more pre-expansion projects to work on now!

EDIT: Upon further reading, it appears this only applies to the ones that already have a "non-shiny" version. It looks like it won't apply to the other busy ones: vision, aurora, etc :( Bleh.

I'm expecting that to change, though perhaps not in time for the patch.

On the other hand -
    Free Legendary Transmutation
    Changing the appearance of your legendary equipment no longer requires transmutation charges.

I for one look forward to infinity fashion forever :biggrin:

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    I admit all the other parts of the armoury (NO!NO!NO!NO!) are spot on. Even being able to have different skins on them when using them on different characters/templates. Taking Super-Princess-Dress-Up-Extreme to the next level :biggrin:

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Leandriell wrote: »
    ..yet!

meanwhile.. we have to redo the chalice of tears.... :(

I did it a few times in one day for Aurora, the converter bits, the mastery, and missing the last long flight jump requires starting again because it can take you out of the JP. There's a skip for the converter collection that lets you go over the top of the volcano rather than through it. It's on youtube. ^.^

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    I just got a mesmer ;) You need to redo it properly for the current event

• Options
    Hey guys, one of my partners just got into this game, and I was hoping he could get an invite to the guild?

Darsabre Indorian.6921

• Options
    ShadowAppleShadowApple Registered User regular
    Invite done

• Options
    Clarification on several points regarding the legendary armoury.

Main points:
    • The other visually noisy trinkets will be getting a visual toggle, it will just be down the road once they've cleared some other projects from the pipeline.
    • If you have Eternity bound you will get a Sunrise and Twilight unlocked in the armoury too.
    • Conflux will no longer be unique

Sounds good to me.

• Options
    god I hate Chalice of Tears so much

• Options
    JiaYaoJiaYao AKA: Invidia Laetitia Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hey everyone! I hope some of y'all remember me from like 5 years ago when I was active, but I recently within the past week have picked the game up again and I'm having a blast running through the story. Can I trouble someone to reassign my role to an active one again?

Edit: my username is JiaYao.8765

JiaYao on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    JiaYao wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I hope some of y'all remember me from like 5 years ago when I was active, but I recently within the past week have picked the game up again and I'm having a blast running through the story. Can I trouble someone to reassign my role to an active one again?

Edit: my username is JiaYao.8765

Hey :) I updated your role to Comrade.