Options

Heat Signature: a game where you can go inside the spaceships

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they don't*. You might be facing enemies with emergency shields. Those don't activate unless they're alerted.

*if they do then I am going to kick myself.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Pretty sure grenades don't bypass shields, you've gotta subvert/crash em or just toss em into vacuum.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm unclear on what grenades do given that my limited experience with explosives was getting suicided by my assassination target when he shot the fuel canister right next to us and vaporized the room we were in (note: do not panic if you end up being ping ponged in a hole in the middle of the ship. At a high level zoom out your remote ship doesn't have collision). I have also heard reports that you can grenade doors instead of using hi tech stealth gadgets such as keys

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I really need to pay more attention to the explosive things in the floor, being able to sever a ship in half seems like it could have some real entertaining tactical uses but I've never actually done it intentionally.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can't tell what the rules are for docking in different places in the ship

I feel like I've blown a hole in a ship and docked there once and I haven't been able to do it since

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I can't tell what the rules are for docking in different places in the ship

I feel like I've blown a hole in a ship and docked there once and I haven't been able to do it since

I think you can dock onto any blown-up room's connecting rooms, but not windows that have been blown out.

Course, you can also rocket towards a force fielded window and eject from the pod to go careening into the ship, too.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Finally, after about 15 hours, I met the glitcher npc and I'm so glad I did

I know this game isn't as laugh out loud funny as Gunpoint, but gosh if it doesn't have some fun and sharp writing

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    How do you meet npcs?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    How do you meet npcs?

dunno exactly. They just show up on stations after a certain point.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I thought it was after you liberate faction strongholds

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I think they show up once you clear a stronghold

On another note I retired a character and saved a auto-rechargeable 5 use speed boost. That item allows you to pretty much move at super speed for the entire mission.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I was gonna save a self-recharging glitch trap but somehow I lost it when I was shot into space when the ship I was on for my final mission was suddenly fired upon.

Luckily what that meant was that a hole opened up right next door to both the prize and the captain, so that made the mission a lot easier. Even if I couldn't space any of the shielded guards. Thank god for keyloggers.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    My latest character just broke the game with self recharging everything. I had to choose between a self recharging subverter and a self recharging key cloner. I chose the subverter because I racked about 30 sentry kills on her personal mission.

I also think that enemies bug out whenever they get teleported. Whenever I swap with someone and most of the time when they glitch react, they never ever move from their spot or look around if they don't see anything straight away.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    How did you get so much self-recharging stuff?

I found about three self-recharging items over the course of the entire game.

broken image link
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I basically have an inventory full of recharging items with in three or four runs on a character. Just need to be thorough in looting ships.

• Options
    I get lots of items that renew at base but very few self charging.

• Options
    How did you get so much self-recharging stuff?

I found about three self-recharging items over the course of the entire game.

I kept finding them in chests and one was on sale for 64 tears or whatever. I have a self recharging crash beam and a self recharging subverter floating out there somewhere. Maybe if one of your steal rewards is green

I also found out that if you retire a person with another's legendary weapon, it goes back in the pool, which is nice.

And subverters can open doors; I have no regrets now, subverter #1 forever

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    A handy tip I discovered while trying to get through a large ship full of fully-shielded enemies; you can use any rechargeable subverters/crashbeams (and they'll affect everything on a line, not just the first thing, so you can get two or three guards in one shot), and so long as you avoid alerting anyone, you can leave, go back to a base to recharge, then head back and everyone's still shut down or taken out as you left them.
    It's slow, but it let me do a personal mission when it felt like I was seriously underequipped for it.

For my next trick/experiment/disaster, I have about 8 Visitors in my stash. Can I use them all in quick succession to get all the way through a ship to my target in less than two seconds? Stay tuned.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    What are all the ways to destroy windows from the outside?

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    A handy tip I discovered while trying to get through a large ship full of fully-shielded enemies; you can use any rechargeable subverters/crashbeams (and they'll affect everything on a line, not just the first thing, so you can get two or three guards in one shot), and so long as you avoid alerting anyone, you can leave, go back to a base to recharge, then head back and everyone's still shut down or taken out as you left them.
    It's slow, but it let me do a personal mission when it felt like I was seriously underequipped for it.

For my next trick/experiment/disaster, I have about 8 Visitors in my stash. Can I use them all in quick succession to get all the way through a ship to my target in less than two seconds? Stay tuned.

please try to video this

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    By the way, if you really want to leave an awesome legacy item, choose someone with a loot personal mission. I rescued a steam friend's character and retired them with a quiet quickfire concussive armor piercing gun

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Paladin wrote: »
    Any kind of projectile, I think. Lethal or non-lethal, if it shoots bullets, it'll do the job.
    Grenades would probably work as well, but I try to stay away from firing explosions at surfaces I'm close to.
    I don't know if throwing melee weapons would work, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Also, if you have a Concussion hammer, you can use it to hit enemies through windows. (I haven't done this, but a patch note mentioned it)

edit: I'm blind, you said outside. Well, you could probably just float out there and shoot them before you suffocate, but you'd have to be better than me to succeed.
    Hijacking another ship and firing on them might work, but that'd probably just destroy that section, and it'd alert them and send them running to a station, so probably not worth the effort.

klemming on
  • Options
    Any kind of projectile, I think. Lethal or non-lethal, if it shoots bullets, it'll do the job.
    Grenades would probably work as well, but I try to stay away from firing explosions at surfaces I'm close to.
    Also, if you have a Concussion hammer, you can use it to hit enemies through windows. (I haven't done this, but a patch note mentioned it)

All of those work from the inside, but I want to be able to destroy windows from outside the ship. I know guns don't work.

• Options

edit: I'm blind, you said outside. Well, you could probably just float out there and shoot them before you suffocate, but you'd have to be better than me to succeed.
    Hijacking another ship and firing on them might work, but that'd probably just destroy that section, and it'd alert them and send them running to a station, so probably not worth the effort.

I can live with destroying the section if it gives me a shortcut to the pilot. I think the pilot is usually very close to a window, so if I am able to launch myself into the breach, I can hijack the ship without visiting any other rooms.

• Options
    Well if you're okay with giving yourself a time limit, you can try hijacking another ship, firing on them (and it wouldn't even have to be a window), then trying to dock with the gap with your pod.
    It's pretty hard to pull off though, as it's not easy to hit them with that kind of precision, and they'll probably fight back, too.

• Options
    Well if you're okay with giving yourself a time limit, you can try hijacking another ship, firing on them (and it wouldn't even have to be a window), then trying to dock with the gap with your pod.
    It's pretty hard to pull off though, as it's not easy to hit them with that kind of precision, and they'll probably fight back, too.

I did it practicing with random ships; the problem is that you only have 1 shot before they start firing heat seeking missiles at you, and you can't brake. I can see where the pilot seat is from the outside view, but not if it takes me 20 seconds to change course. Generally aiming at the front of the ship gives you pretty good odds to shortcut to the pilot with about a 30 second timer regularly

• Options
    Managed to take down a pilot with 0 seconds on the clock after teleporting about 4 times accross the ship in 2 seconds

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

I did it practicing with random ships; the problem is that you only have 1 shot before they start firing heat seeking missiles at you, and you can't brake. I can see where the pilot seat is from the outside view, but not if it takes me 20 seconds to change course. Generally aiming at the front of the ship gives you pretty good odds to shortcut to the pilot with about a 30 second timer regularly

I don't know if we are spoiling skilltree/galaxy/item unlocks. Below is the description of an item you can see from the galaxy screen
    The Brick is a pod that is able to ram + explode one room. You have to do a pod recovery sequence, and it will trigger an alarm, so you probably want to do a normal dock first and see the layout of the ship.

Also, have you tried to throw your own body at it? You can hit T to eject, I know I have gone in a broken window this way, haven't tried it with an unbroken one.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I somehow managed to assassinate just my target from the outside of the ship.
    It was a very large ship, and I just didn't have the patience to work my way through it, but the target was right in one corner, just next to an exploding room, so I figured I could steal anotehr ship, blow that corner away in one volley, and hope I get him.
    He must have been on patrol, as my very first shot sent him and only him out into space, and I just had to wait for him to suffocate.
    It was a bit hairy to escape, as my commandeered ship got blown in half by their first retaliation, but I jumped out and caught myself with my pod, and I was golden.

edit: Also, it turns out you can get armor-piercing concussive guns. I wonder how those work.
    "Don't worry, it's a beanbag round, it's blunted so just hits hard and knocks people out."
    "Yeah, but why is it covered in spikes?"
    "So it can punch through armor. Non-lethally."
    "How...?"
    "I dunno, but apparently it was invented back in the old days, someone named Bat Wayne, or something."

klemming on
  • Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I don't know if we are spoiling skilltree/galaxy/item unlocks. Below is the description of an item you can see from the galaxy screen
    The Brick is a pod that is able to ram + explode one room. You have to do a pod recovery sequence, and it will trigger an alarm, so you probably want to do a normal dock first and see the layout of the ship.

Also, have you tried to throw your own body at it? You can hit T to eject, I know I have gone in a broken window this way, haven't tried it with an unbroken one.

I've tried hurling my body at everything; unless there's already a breach it just bounces off. destroying windows at every opportunity using a visitor or whatever seems to be a good way to save your place.

Also I've been getting a lot of rescues from you - do you never leave the ship ever?

PS: one of my guys that was captured has a self recharging key cloner, so you may want to watch out for that

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I've tried hurling my body at everything; unless there's already a breach it just bounces off. destroying windows at every opportunity using a visitor or whatever seems to be a good way to save your place.

Also I've been getting a lot of rescues from you - do you never leave the ship ever?

PS: one of my guys that was captured has a self recharging key cloner, so you may want to watch out for that

For a while I was seeing how far I could push things, even going into mistake missions on a fresh character. Turns out, you only need a good item or two and you are good for almost every mission. Because of this, I probably have a ton of characters to save, and a good chunk of them don't even have many good items. To make up for it, I have retired a bunch of good items, and even some mission items that are probably amazing once you figure out exactly what they do.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2017

For a while I was seeing how far I could push things, even going into mistake missions on a fresh character. Turns out, you only need a good item or two and you are good for almost every mission. Because of this, I probably have a ton of characters to save, and a good chunk of them don't even have many good items. To make up for it, I have retired a bunch of good items, and even some mission items that are probably amazing once you figure out exactly what they do.

Yeah I found one of your mission items in a crate.
    oaJUcRQ.jpg

Funny story about why the ship looks like that; I took what I thought was a regular capture mission, when all of a sudden we started being bombarded. This wasn't a Warzone mission, but I zoomed out and saw an outpost shooting at us. So I was all the way at the back of the ship with 30 seconds to get my guy or get out and the entire back of the ship suddenly explodes. I'm trying to get to the captain's chair but the hallway to get to him is gone... and so is my guy. I jump out hoping to bridge the gap but get spaced, and I have to remote my pod like a million miles away to pick up my suffocating target while I'm still tumbling next to a dying ship.

While I'm going to pick myself up I notice that the ship is actually being pursued by a Glitcher ship with 4 missile launchers. I can totally peace out by that point, but the foundry ship has 4 crates - way more than the mission's take. The foundry ship has no engines now, but it's being hit by two missiles every couple of seconds and will be completely destroyed soon, along with the loot.

So I got a legendary slipstream last mission and hadn't really used it. I'd been playing nice with the auto shotty too. I dodged the missiles between the ships and docked the pursuer.

Have you ever seen an auto shotgun in slipstream? It turns a room white; it was all I could do to dodge my own bullets. This was a large Glitcher ship and they were all dead before they could fire two more volleys.

When I got back, everyone was dead, and it took five minutes to dock to all the crates in the dead ship. I don't know what Octans Alphecca did to get on my list but they should be on their knees in gratitude.

By the way that item was a medium capacity rechargeable sidewinder

Paladin on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I found a Self-Recharging High Capacity Subverter, which pretty much broke the game for that character. Cleared out two stronghold missions I had saved up and sent that beautiful item on for the next person to find,

• Options
    Finding a self-charging anything is almost guaranteed to make your entire playstyle change to revolve around it.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    There are bad moments to discover certain things in this game.

Little stuff like 'teleporting doesn't bring the body you're carrying with you'.

Others may have found that out early.

For me, I was holding the target of my personal mission with maybe 10 seconds on the clock.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    I don't really like glitch traps, with the exception of self charging ones. Just ... Make sure to keep some way to unlock doors or clone keys on hand.

• Options
    I had an annoying moment when I blew out a window, expecting that my kidnap target would come with me. He didn't. So I had to go back to the ship, and then when I docked, the arrow shifted to somewhere out in space, by that point he was 2 seconds from suffocating. Very frustrating.

• Options
    I have to go out of my way to use glitch traps, but they are occasionally hilarious.
    Like teleporting a capture target off the ship, then sending my pod to grab him.

In other news, I had my first failure of a personal mission. I had a longblade, a concussion shotgun, a slipstream, stealth, and self-charging subverters and crashbeams.
    I was well kitted out (though a key cloner would have been nice).
    With a time limit, I stealthed through the first half of the ship, then tried to just fight my way to the cockpit, then my target came into my path.
    I was doing so well with my two weapons, then I realised that it was a capture target.
    Right after I clicked to use the longblade on him.

• Options
    yeah, it's a bit annoying that bodies have slightly different physics for whether they fly out the windows or not

• Options
    Is there a reason some ships eject your pod when there's an alarm?