Options

Danganronpa V3: Back to School!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Finished case 2, overall game thoughts up to this point.
    So far these executions have been fucking brutal. Tojo's was heartbreaking.

I think Tenko is my least favorite character by a significant margin. The "degenerate males" routine is every other line with her. I feel a lot of DR 2 and 3 characters have this problem, where they have a running gag or obsession or whatever that they just do not shut up about to the point where it completely dominates all of their dialogue. It's one of the biggest reasons why I think the DR1 cast is overall the best. They have their bits they do as well but it's far less obnoxious.

That being said I like the cast overall, though I like it the least of the three. Shuichi is fine, and I do like the running theme he is dealing with where every time he reveals the truth, good people end up suffering for it. It's an interesting emotional hook, I just wish he was less bland as a character. Kaede was extremely likeable and I'm still sore about the bait and switch. For some reason I really like Miu, even though she's kind of awful. She might actually be my favorite and I can't explain why.

The Monokubs are okay. Way better than Monomi, who I thought nearly ruined Monokuma in DR2. They feel kinda tacked on though, and I would prefer Kuma went back to being a solo act. Monodam slowly killing off his siblings is fun.

I think my theory as to what is going on so far is that their memories are actually implanted. Maybe even their talents themselves. If this does actually tie back into the other games, then I can see them going back to the Hope's Peak experiments into creating artificial talent. I find it interesting that there aren't cameras everywhere this time, though I'm starting to wonder if the "tiny bugs" Gonta keeps noticing are maybe some sort of flying micro-drones that are recording this, or messing with the students in some way. I have no idea who or what the mastermind could be at this point, or the reason for the killing game this time around.

My guesses as to who survives to the end? Aside from Shuichi, Maki and Kaito are the ones I'm most confident in. Kaito feels like he fits the "well-meaning doofus" role that Hiro and Soda did. I expect Maki to ease into a Kyoko-type role. Though the Kyoko of DR2, Chiaki, did bite it so we'll see. Other than that I'm not sure. I'm pretty confident Gonta, Miu, Himiko, Kiyo, and Keebo will bite it.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Finished case 2, overall game thoughts up to this point.
    So far these executions have been fucking brutal. Tojo's was heartbreaking.

I think Tenko is my least favorite character by a significant margin. The "degenerate males" routine is every other line with her. I feel a lot of DR 2 and 3 characters have this problem, where they have a running gag or obsession or whatever that they just do not shut up about to the point where it completely dominates all of their dialogue. It's one of the biggest reasons why I think the DR1 cast is overall the best. They have their bits they do as well but it's far less obnoxious.

That being said I like the cast overall, though I like it the least of the three. Shuichi is fine, and I do like the running theme he is dealing with where every time he reveals the truth, good people end up suffering for it. It's an interesting emotional hook, I just wish he was less bland as a character. Kaede was extremely likeable and I'm still sore about the bait and switch. For some reason I really like Miu, even though she's kind of awful. She might actually be my favorite and I can't explain why.

The Monokubs are okay. Way better than Monomi, who I thought nearly ruined Monokuma in DR2. They feel kinda tacked on though, and I would prefer Kuma went back to being a solo act. Monodam slowly killing off his siblings is fun.

I think my theory as to what is going on so far is that their memories are actually implanted. Maybe even their talents themselves. If this does actually tie back into the other games, then I can see them going back to the Hope's Peak experiments into creating artificial talent. I find it interesting that there aren't cameras everywhere this time, though I'm starting to wonder if the "tiny bugs" Gonta keeps noticing are maybe some sort of flying micro-drones that are recording this, or messing with the students in some way. I have no idea who or what the mastermind could be at this point, or the reason for the killing game this time around.

My guesses as to who survives to the end? Aside from Shuichi, Maki and Kaito are the ones I'm most confident in. Kaito feels like he fits the "well-meaning doofus" role that Hiro and Soda did. I expect Maki to ease into a Kyoko-type role. Though the Kyoko of DR2, Chiaki, did bite it so we'll see. Other than that I'm not sure. I'm pretty confident Gonta, Miu, Himiko, Kiyo, and Keebo will bite it.
    I agree with the implanted memories theory.

My other theory is that the academy is in space, maybe on the moon. It would explain why the stars weren't recognizable to Gonta, why there's no insect life, why Shuichi thought about feeling guilty that he wasn't going to to "die with everyone else" (because he wasn't on earth to die with them!)

plus, revealing that Kaito was in space all along would be a very Danganronpa thing

• Options
    Chapter 4 Pre-murder
    There's a 100% chance that when we get out of the virtual world, one of us will be dead

Probably Miu

But hopefully Tsumugi, because she has no presence whatsoever. She's just kinda...there.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Chapter 4 Pre-murder
    There's a 100% chance that when we get out of the virtual world, one of us will be dead

Probably Miu

But hopefully Tsumugi, because she has no presence whatsoever. She's just kinda...there.

Chapter 4 Murder:
    You have very good intuition.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Damn it stop playing through it so fast I'm falling behind!

• Options
    CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

As Miu would say, I'm blowing my load prematurely

• Options
    Speaking of Miu...
    I completed her free time events. Didn't expect a romance. I was pretty surprised.

• Options
    Miu Free Time
    I didn't expect it either

It was weird, because I couldn't tell how serious she was at first

Or why she fell in love with me, given that I didn't do much other than listen to her

Also I'm wondering if the brain damage/coma that made her a genius also made her hypersexual

That has been known to happen to people with damage to certain regions of the brain

Either way, Miu is a character that I really like, even though she can sometimes be offputting

• Options
    Finished case 4. That was exceedingly cruel and upsetting, even by Danganronpa standards.
    Kokichi is the most loathsome and evil character in the series. At least Junko had the excuse of being psychotic. Kokichi is just an amoral monster.

I was thinking they were going to give him some sort of redemption, but that's not possible now. I hope he dies, and I hope it's incredibly painful.

• Options
    Damn it stop playing through it so fast I'm falling behind!

I'm sorry! I have Fridays off, and I don't want this to interfere with my work schedule. I suck at pacing myself through visual novels.

• Options
    Not liking trial 3 very much. Some of the bullet answers have been real finicky and I don't know how I was supposed to know what term they wanted for this hangmans gambit.

It's also just a much less interesting setup than the past two.

• Options
    Trial 3 was definitely my least favorite so far.

Well, maybe trial 4? Trial 4 was great, surprising, well written, but it was so upsetting that I found it the most unpleasant to play.

• Options
    Chapter 5
    Man, Kokichi ain't got shit on Junko

I'm hoping Junko shows up and offs kokichi

would it make sense? No. Would it be rad as fuck? Yes.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Chapter 5

Yeah, but I'm also
    a huge fan of Junko anyways, so I wouldn't care if it made sense at all. Kind of like how she showed up in the anime just to break the fourth wall.

• Options
    Beat the game last night.

Just...wow. That's all I'll say for now.

• Options
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Chapter 5

Yeah, but I'm also
    a huge fan of Junko anyways, so I wouldn't care if it made sense at all. Kind of like how she showed up in the anime just to break the fourth wall.

Chapter 5
    Kokichi is making me miss Junko a lot

And hell, even Nagito

And I hated Nagito

• Options
    Trial 3 was definitely my least favorite so far.

Well, maybe trial 4? Trial 4 was great, surprising, well written, but it was so upsetting that I found it the most unpleasant to play.

Chapter 4 verdict:
    DLBYKIPUMAEsVBN.jpg

• Options
    Dammit why you gotta make me laugh when I wanna cry

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    so is this worth the enormous price bump? i love Danganronpa but I would expect a lot more production value for full price

• Options
    edited October 2017
    It's a very nice looking game (on PS4, I haven't played the vita version)

If you like the series, it's a must buy. But if you have the patience to wait then waiting for a price drop seems pretty reasonable.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    Walt wrote: »
    so is this worth the enormous price bump? i love Danganronpa but I would expect a lot more production value for full price

I have NO idea why they're charging $60 for the PS4/PC versions when the Vita version is still $40 (other than the fact they could). I bought the Vita version for $40 and don't regret it, but $60 is definitely steep for what the game is. If you think you can avoid spoilers until Christmastime, it should be on sale by then. We'll do our part to keep spoilers tagged.

• Options
    Final case spoilers (big spoilers, do not read if you're not there yet)
    JUNKOOOOOOOOO

God it's great every fucking time

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

I have NO idea why they're charging $60 for the PS4/PC versions when the Vita version is still $40 (other than the fact they could). I bought the Vita version for $40 and don't regret it, but $60 is definitely steep for what the game is. If you think you can avoid spoilers until Christmastime, it should be on sale by then. We'll do our part to keep spoilers tagged.

I realize that the dollars-per-hour measure is of tenuous usefulness, but I'm up to 30 hours played and only at the first intermission of Case 5. Even subtracting a little time for banter with a friend I was going through the game with, that's still a pretty full-priced runtime.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Kupi wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

I realize that the dollars-per-hour measure is of tenuous usefulness, but I'm up to 30 hours played and only at the first intermission of Case 5. Even subtracting a little time for banter with a friend I was going through the game with, that's still a pretty full-priced runtime.

That's absolutely fair. I guess I thought it was dumb seeing them selling the game for as much as they can get away with, rather than how much they felt the game was worth.
    Final case spoilers (big spoilers, do not read if you're not there yet)
    JUNKOOOOOOOOO

God it's great every fucking time
    Keep going. You haven't even gotten to the good shit yet.

Zython on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Final case stuff
    Literally as I read that "Hajime" showed up

I mean, it can't really be him

Right?

Edit: KAZUICHI BACK

I mean, not really him

But STILL

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    WHAT THE HOLY SHITTING FUCK

• Options
    I'm having a stroke

Nothing else could explain this

• Options
    WHAT THE HOLY SHITTING FUCK

Yuuuuuup.

• Options
    So uh

Final case
    When it asked me whether I wanted to continue the game I chose quit

Which actually quit and lost me hours of progress

And now I have to do the trial again

What the actual fuck.

• Options
    So uh

Final case
    When it asked me whether I wanted to continue the game I chose quit

Which actually quit and lost me hours of progress

And now I have to do the trial again

What the actual fuck.

I...don't remember that.

• Options
    It happened!

Final case
    I did a hangman's gambit that had "Hope" as the answer

And even though I completed it correctly it gave me the game over menu and asked what I wanted to do

Maybe I screwed up somehow?

At. Any rate I'm exhausted and have to sleep.

I am... not happy with the game right now. We'll see how I feel when I hit the actual end, but right now it feels like I paid $60 to be told "fuck you for playing this".

• Options
    It happened!

Final case
    I did a hangman's gambit that had "Hope" as the answer

And even though I completed it correctly it gave me the game over menu and asked what I wanted to do

Maybe I screwed up somehow?

At. Any rate I'm exhausted and have to sleep.

I am... not happy with the game right now. We'll see how I feel when I hit the actual end, but right now it feels like I paid $60 to be told "fuck you for playing this".
    Youre supposed to let the timer run out there.

• Options
    Final case
    That's what BugBoy said!

but I mean

why let me actually quit!?

I'll finish it up tomorrow. Right now I'm just... not sure how to feel. On the one hand, this is all brilliant. On the other hand, it feels somewhat hollow?

I mean, the whole thing about the audience wanting to see the characters go through hope and despair doesn't really click with me, because I don't play the game for that reason

I play because I like mysteries and fun characters! I couldn't care less if they feel despair or hope!

Well, we'll see how it all ends. Even if I dislike the ending, the first five cases were spectacular. Nothing can undo my enjoyment of those.

Plus we sort of got to see the DR2 cast again, and boy do I love those guys.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Final case
    That's what BugBoy said!

but I mean

why let me actually quit!?

I'll finish it up tomorrow. Right now I'm just... not sure how to feel. On the one hand, this is all brilliant. On the other hand, it feels somewhat hollow?

I mean, the whole thing about the audience wanting to see the characters go through hope and despair doesn't really click with me, because I don't play the game for that reason

I play because I like mysteries and fun characters! I couldn't care less if they feel despair or hope!

Well, we'll see how it all ends. Even if I dislike the ending, the first five cases were spectacular. Nothing can undo my enjoyment of those.

Plus we sort of got to see the DR2 cast again, and boy do I love those guys.

Final case
    Something similar happened to me in DR2. Though I was much earlier in the "class trial".

I think the game might be talking to a different type of fan. The types who write self-insert fan fiction or who generally look to fiction for meaning.

I don't know how many people are like that, but the creators clearly feel that there are enough people that are into Danganronpa for the wrong reasons.

Zython on
  • Options
    Final case
    i think you're right on the money there. I'll have more thoughts when I finish the game tonight, but right now my thoughts are that this ending is brilliant, but not really meant for me.

Which is not to say I haven't enjoyed it. I've wavered between extreme frustration and genuine admiration for this ending.

And dang, Kaede proudly saying that she's perfect for Danganronpa because she has no faith in humanity during her audition was a hell of a moment.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Post-chapter 2, start of chapter 3:
    Goddamnit, game, stop killing my waifus. :(

Himiko getting slammed into the mat by Tenko was goddamn hilarious. I wish I could take screenshots of the game on the Vita so I could pass over a IT'S MAGIC! and photoshop in some trading cards.

Soul read on the cast:

Miu: Basically our Jill of the game. I could see her surviving all the way, if just so someone can make filthy jokes. (NO, TENKO.)
    Kokichi: I... cannot get a good read on him. Fitting, really. If the game is actually connected to the previous games, I actually kind of wonder if he's with Future Foundation.
    Angie: You are going to go full Binding of Isaac on someone, aren't you? Killing because Atua commands it. Maybe chapter 4/late-game.
    Himiko: You are a perfect angel and will never hurt anyone. Got a feeling if there's ever a mass culling of characters you'll bite it, though.
    Gonta: See Himiko.
    Tenko: Also see Himiko, although without the perfect angel bit. I won't be sad. Although I could see them keeping you on, if just of how sucky your gimmick is. Just stop. Please.
    Maki: I could see her forming the third pillar of The Debate Squad with Kokichi, if she survives. Or decides to start participating.
    Korekiyo: WHY ARE YOU HERE? ...Well, I know why, but goddamnit. Sit in a corner and maybe commit a late-game murder when things start to slow down.
    Tsumugi: ...I guess the "average" person? I have no idea if she's here to be culled or if she's actually secretly the mastermind.
    Keebo: I'm waiting for his gimmick to come into play for a case. Probably will die in the case afterwards.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Am I the only one who likes Tenko?

Between that and me actually liking Mikan, I think I must be the Ultimate Liker of Characters Nobody Elsr Likes

• Options
    Am I the only one who likes Tenko?

Between that and me actually liking Mikan, I think I must be the Ultimate Liker of Characters Nobody Elsr Likes

I like Tenko. I HATED Mikan.

• Options
    I liked Mikan but Tenko got on my nerves.

They both have the same problem a lot of DR 2 and 3 characters have, though. Said this earlier in the thread:
    I feel a lot of DR 2 and 3 characters have this problem, where they have a running gag or obsession or whatever that they just do not shut up about to the point where it completely dominates all of their dialogue. It's one of the biggest reasons why I think the DR1 cast is overall the best. They have their bits they do as well but it's far less obnoxious.

With Tenko it didn't take long until I started to be like "yeah I get it already, Degenerate Males".

There are likeable aspects of her character they were just overshadowed for me by a relentless, irritating commitment to the bit.

Mikan was also like that but for whatever reason I found it less annoying. Knowing everything about her, and why she was that way, probably helped.

• Options
    As an aside apparently Miu was specifically designed to be an unpopular character so of course Japan voted her in the top 5.