As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice?Really?Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
South Park is an American adult animated sitcom created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone . The show revolves around four boys—Stan Marsh, Kyle Broflovski, Eric Cartman, and Kenny McCormick—and their bizarre adventures in and around the titular Colorado town. It's also know for being crude, tasteless, vulgar, and smart biting satire that pushes the envelope.

The show has been on the air since 1997. We are currently on the 21st season.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=QNS-fnGx-4E

There are 6 video games that have been realease with a 7th due out Oct 17, 2017.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=AHAA-MGIyjc

As of now if looks like Hulu is the only legal streaming service, that I know of at least. Or you can watch live on Comedy Central Wednesdays.

So share you thought about the current run, past episodes, the upcoming game, or even the past games. So come on down to South Park.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
Toxic Toys on

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed the last 2 episodes, the 1st one didn't really hit with me. So far we've had a lot of Randy, and that is always a good thing.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cartman's Eminem was surprisingly decent.

Which is funny because Eminem is known to do Cartman impressions from time to time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Last night's episode was better in terms of comedy, though i'm not sure about the validity of its message (loved the dig at white people who use stuff like ancestry.com to try to claim non-whiteness, though).

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The ancestry DNA commercials always kinda make me roll my eyes.

"Growing up, I always thought we were Italian! We did Italian this, Italian that... Italian everything! But then I found out we're actually German so I shit-canned all my Italian stuff and bought a pair of Lederhosen!"

Despite probably never having set foot in either country.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Which is funny because Eminem is known to do Cartman impressions from time to time.

ha!

steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The kids fighting for a day off from school and some of the other jokes they made, really made this feel like a more classic/older episode. I enjoyed it much more than the other two.

I honest to god thought the test result was going to be that Randy is a direct descendant of Columbus.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I thought the same thing.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Best episode of the season so far. Reminded me a lot of classic South Park for sure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Hope this one is available online already (or soon at least). I figured out I could stream the show using Plex to my Google Chromecast so I was able to watch the first two :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

"Growing up, I always thought we were Italian! We did Italian this, Italian that... Italian everything! But then I found out we're actually German so I shit-canned all my Italian stuff and bought a pair of Lederhosen!"

It's the "and then we totally changed all of our family traditions" thing which baffles me. Like, at the point where you have really involved family traditions where you get everyone involved and it brings your family together, why would you abandon that for some totally new traditions? Like at that point it doesn't even really matter if you're Italian or not.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

It's the "and then we totally changed all of our family traditions" thing which baffles me. Like, at the point where you have really involved family traditions where you get everyone involved and it brings your family together, why would you abandon that for some totally new traditions? Like at that point it doesn't even really matter if you're Italian or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvUkHqEDX4

Ah good, they did have the episode online. That was great :D I loved the fake news thing, though it was ok because they transferred it to VHS :D haha... Randy not understanding the word Indigenous was also great. Did not expect the payoff at the end on that joke :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Warlock you need to stop being so Indigenous about Randy man.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I still think the Tweek thing at the start of the episode last week was the highlight of the season so far. But pretty funny episode. The lovesong had this native chuckling a bit heh.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I still think the Tweek thing at the start of the episode last week was the highlight of the season so far. But pretty funny episode. The lovesong had this native chuckling a bit heh.

As someone who has sung in ceremonies and powwows... going from the chanting to the "and then he kissed me" and I couldn't stop laughing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I have no idea where they're going with this Zuckeberg joke

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Its probably just nostalgia, but I really miss the first six or so seasons, they were my favorites by far.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I can't go back to seasons 1-3. They are the cringiest. Season 4 is when I felt they got into a groove that wasn't pure gross out comedy and started satirizing stuff.

Kyougu wrote: »
    I have no idea where they're going with this Zuckeberg joke

The rest of the episode was really funny but I just. . .don't understand what the Zuckerberg joke was? Or at least the bad dubbing like a martial arts movie. Is that a thing he does or. . .?

steam_sig.png
  • T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    I really didn't get the Zuckerberg thing either. I thought there was a bunch of Zucker-bots who had descended on South Park.

The "both sides"-ing of the central issue was a bit eye-rolling too. The usual Libertarian blaming the victim for entering into a contract by signing up for something and "you asked for it" even if the other side is terrible. Yeah I'm sure when most people signed up for Facebook it was for poorly-sourced news.

Kadoken wrote: »
    I can't go back to seasons 1-3. They are the cringiest. Season 4 is when I felt they got into a groove that wasn't pure gross out comedy and started satirizing stuff.

The only parts that seem weird to me in all the focus they put on crappy TV in those days, but then I remember they came out in the late 90's when basic cable was still relevant.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    T-bolt wrote: »
    The "both sides"-ing of the central issue was a bit eye-rolling too. The usual Libertarian blaming the victim for entering into a contract by signing up for something and "you asked for it" even if the other side is terrible. Yeah I'm sure when most people signed up for Facebook it was for poorly-sourced news.

Apparently they haven't learnt enough from the 2000 elections.

Harry Dresden on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I think their goal was to give Zuckerberg their Mel Gibson makeover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6a38eRucY

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So it seems that the Zuckeberg things was playing off that VR tour thing he did in Puerto Rico.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    good episode but quite a bit came from the Fractured But Whole stuff shown for the past year or so, which makes me wonder if we'll get new stuff in the game next week.

Chaos City was good, I thought the Zuckerberg stuff was showing how he's fake (this VR thing must be the anchor though). The Heidi running joke is actually succeeding for me with how Cartman goes more and more despondent.

The Heidi running joke works a lot better when it's not a central plot element.

steam_sig.png
    Finally watched it this weekend. I enjoyed the episode :) I think the Zuckerberg thing was just supposed to make him goofy. I enjoyed the Netflix thing :)

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm not getting the Zuckerberg thing at all. It seems like it's supposed to be some reference or parody but the hell if I know what it is.

The "shtoyle" thing was funny though if only because of how stupid it was.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I'm not getting the Zuckerberg thing at all. It seems like it's supposed to be some reference or parody but the hell if I know what it is.

The "shtoyle" thing was funny though if only because of how stupid it was.

It's supposed to be like those old badly dubbed kung-fu movies where the lips don't match the dub. I'm not sure why they went with that for this though :P

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So this new season has been okay, but I'm losing motivation to watch the new episodes on their website every week.

Maybe South Park isn't for me anymore? I'm a bit sad.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The game is the best episode of South Park in ages.

So this new season has been okay, but I'm losing motivation to watch the new episodes on their website every week.

Maybe South Park isn't for me anymore? I'm a bit sad.

Honestly, the show hasnt been must-see for me for 10 years. It feels a lot like once they stopped being the most shocking thing on TV, they tried way too hard to be about social commentary to the point that a lot of episodes just crawl up their own ass trying to make a point. Not helped by the fact that the writers dont have a clue what they're talking about half the time. Remember the episode about the Canada strike and "Internet money"? Not to mention they tend to be unsettlingly anti-trans and pro-bullying. Maybe they're trying to be iconoclast about a new social issue, but they showed those issues years before they became mainstream, the bullying issue as early as season 3. They even talked about how kids need public schooling rather than homeschooling because you apparently need to be abused to the point of suicide in the playground to learn to socialize properly.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Since the whole episode was a glorified trailer for the video game, I interpreted Zuckerberg as a parody of a generic JRPG character. It worked for me in that regard.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Using the old folks as stand-ins for the prisoners and the opioid drug trade with party animals, this was a great episode.

Totally unbelievable premise. Hummels are fucking dumb, I don't think anyone... *glances at shelf full of amiibo*

...Oh

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    This was a great episode. The boys singing had me cracking up.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Stan’s grandfather did exactly what I was hoping he would with the hummels.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Stan’s grandfather did exactly what I was hoping he would with the hummels.

Right after I started to lose faith in this season/South Park in general, the hummels at the end turned it around completely. It was too perfect.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    This was a great episode. The boys singing had me cracking up.

I really need this to be a running joke somehow. I don't know how, but I need more of this. I was on the floor.

I didn't really get the thing with Marcus. Why not use a character we actually knew? Was he a parody of someone?

LostNinja on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Holy shit this game is hilarious, I've literally been in tears at
    Kyle's absolute annoyance at Cartman describing Butthole's backstory of mom fucking being a rare thing, but nothing so far has topped Captain Diabetes grinding some guy in the Peppermint Hippo.