As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[South Park]? They still make that?

12345679»

• RaijuRaiju regular Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    Were ya'll expecting Matt and Trey to grow up to be deep thinkers let alone liberals?

If there's one thing I've learned watching South Park all these long years is to never, ever base your own personal politics around the show creators' own shitty faux libertarian brand of absurdist nihilistic humor.

I watch it to laugh at its ridiculousness, not to get deep seated philosophy or anything approaching critical think pieces regarding political science. People who do quote giant douche or turd sandwich at me during actual presidential elections just lead me believe that they're paying fuck all attention to the actual candidates and their policies.

Matt and Trey are multi-millionaires who have little in common with the average joe these days to the point where they're insulated from any normal day-to-day effect of said policies (outside of Trump's tax cuts for the wealthy, I guess). I always keep this in mind when watching the show.

That being said, I can appreciate them poking fun at themselves this episode as being part of the Hollywood liberal elite cabal of cannibal pedophiles that are secretly controlling America. The part at the end where they turned Mr. White into a literal giant dick was funny as hell, and so was the Q-commercial montage (complete with accompanying scary music) of elites like Hillary and Obama engaging in kid cannibalism.

I was sad that they killed off Ms. Nelson for some odd reason. Not that she had much of a personality or was even a funny or memorable character or even had much screen time. She was downright normal and boring, and wasn't even used for easy lowbrow racist humor (to my surprise, just lowbrow misogynist humor via Cartman). Yeah, I realize with Mr. Garrison returning they had to find some way to get rid of Ms. Nelson and return to the status quo.

Anyway, long rambling critique summed up for this episode is, it wasn't anything great but it had some decent laugh aloud moments here and there. It seemed kinda obvious that M&T don't quite have that drive or spark they once did for SP and I wonder if they should keep making new episodes moving forward.

Raiju on
  • gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    I don't know if its good or bad that Mr.G was Trump, over having Trump character being themself.
    I feel it was needed because who wants Trump to have more airtime, Mr.G at least makes it tolerable.

Look, M&T have always turned out a brand new episode in like a week right? {sometimes even faster}

Now that they only work on the script/voices to make (down to) 10 episodes a year, they don't have to work as much as they once did, year over year.

I'm sure M&T can continue to make great SP stuff, even if they are not motivated to make the tv show as much.
    As I still find good parts/episodes in every years showing.

I'm glad they made the 2 recent SP games. [I'm fan of the Stick of Truth over FBW by a huge margin]
    If they made a 3rd SP game [similar to TSoT/FBW] that had every known south park residence/building/business in a giant realized SP, I could be very very happy. [possibly even have it semi/mostly openworld... I just want to explore the lore and interact with the characters].

In debt, budget gog+steam collector.
    Raiju
  • RaijuRaiju regular Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife and I really enjoyed Stick of Truth. Hilarious game with surprisingly fun play mechanics. FBW wasn't as funny/good nor nearly as polished. It felt very rushed to us. Had they given the game one more year to iron out the mechanics, jokes, and story, it probably would've been on par with SoT, we think.

Harry Dresden
  • gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    Yeah, my wife and I really enjoyed Stick of Truth. Hilarious game with surprisingly fun play mechanics. FBW wasn't as funny/good nor nearly as polished. It felt very rushed to us. Had they given the game one more year to iron out the mechanics, jokes, and story, it probably would've been on par with SoT, we think.
    Did you get the highest $ tier Rhinoplasty? Pretty dang funny.

In debt, budget gog+steam collector.
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    gBAZ wrote: »
    I don't know if its good or bad that Mr.G was Trump, over having Trump character being themself.
    I feel it was needed because who wants Trump to have more airtime, Mr.G at least makes it tolerable.

Look, M&T have always turned out a brand new episode in like a week right? {sometimes even faster}

Now that they only work on the script/voices to make (down to) 10 episodes a year, they don't have to work as much as they once did, year over year.

I'm sure M&T can continue to make great SP stuff, even if they are not motivated to make the tv show as much.
    As I still find good parts/episodes in every years showing.

I'm glad they made the 2 recent SP games. [I'm fan of the Stick of Truth over FBW by a huge margin]
    If they made a 3rd SP game [similar to TSoT/FBW] that had every known south park residence/building/business in a giant realized SP, I could be very very happy. [possibly even have it semi/mostly openworld... I just want to explore the lore and interact with the characters].

They had the real Trump. Garrison fucked him to death.

edited November 25
    South Park Post Covid is out. Not finished it yet, it's not been that funny so far tbh most of the novelty is in seeing the grown up versions of characters. Although in the community center meeting I'd swear that is Strong Woman's model but she hasn't aged at all. The Goths have mellowed though.

EDIT: Oh shit met old Cartman, it got funny.

FUck I wish they'd stop with Alexa jokes though, them constantly activating my Alexa isn't funny it's irritating.

AlphaRomero on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know they were doing another special. Saw zero advertising (though admittedly, I don't really watch TV anymore, just Youtube/Streaming).

This is one of those like 217 movies they agreed to do when they resigned their contract. I've finished it and it's not a one-off as it has a cliffhanger ending, so hopefully won't be too long until the next one. It's pretty sad seeing the kids all grown up tbh but I love the twist ending.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I didn't even know they were doing another special. Saw zero advertising (though admittedly, I don't really watch TV anymore, just Youtube/Streaming).

I only found out about it yesterday as it was mixed into youtube's front page after scrolling down a bit. Web advertising has been hit or miss since it tries to cater to your interests, I find that I'm not getting ads for movies all the time like you would watching tv. Unless you watch a lot of movie related youtube videos you just don't get exposed anymore. Also with COVID release schedules have been weird.

Like I should not be finding out about Wheel of Time because my amazon parcel's box is an add all printed up with it.

LostNinja
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    The running gag with Jimmy's brand of future comedy was actually really funny.

H9f4bVe.png
    AlphaRomerojkylefultonTexiKen
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The South Park appreciation hasn't been hilarious but I'll say that it's def been intriguing.

I appreciate them doing something different.

TicaldfjamDonnicton