As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] In The Mountain

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Weren't work weeks worse before the 8 hour one? Like that was a positive change?

Yes

And now the US in particular has really stepped back from it and you're expected to do like 60 hour weeks

That's the aggravating thing

I don't think we've stepped back that far.

edit: Google says 47 is the average for adults, which is still quite significant (nearly 20% up from 40) but not quite 60.

Legally no, but I've heard a lot of chatter that some industries put enormous pressure on you to stay, and if you don't you screw yourself out of advancement.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7u8pA10Rzo

8-)

(i got the boston job)

Yo I can show you some dope places on the north shore.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

the big problem (that I see) is that there are significant issues with youtube's monetization scheme (mostly DMCA stuff) that results in your viewers seeing ads and you not getting a penny out of it because some big name claimed you infringed their copyright. There is then months spent arguing back and forth and at the end, the company got all the revenue from your video and whether or not the video is ultimately determined to be fair-use, you're not getting any significant money from it anymore.

Google has got to fix the abuse in their system before they go "Nope, no competitors allowed!"

I mean, clearly they don't because they own the system. There's a reason they got rid of "Do no evil"

This isnt a no competitors allowed moment though.

It is a "you arent allowed to make money on our platform without us being in the conversation"

There are dozens of big services you can post your videos on with their own rules around profitability, and you can easily roll your own and be available on every single device on the market.

But if you want to use YouTube you have to play by their rules and that seems fair, even if the rules may suck from time to time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I mean, the patreon thing looks like people assumed youtube was a free resource in their business model who would let them use their tools forever without any kind of cost.

If one of your primary vehicles for generating revenue is youtube, they probably deserve a taste

I dunno youtube is ok with racist nazi sympathizers being one of their prime revenue generators. Maybe they deserve a "get fucked" especially with how they demonitize people without much warning or explanation.

Also, they already get a taste the way they get a taste from all the regular non monetized videos. They got a taste when my buddy posted his vacation videos, they got it when Landshark posted a video of him playing piano, they always get a taste.

Apparently, they want it ALL.

How are they getting a taste from a video that has no ads?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Why do youtube comments still exist.

what value do they add to anything

I'm sorry you have a problem with free speech, maybe you should go back to communazia the land of communist nazis.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

ftOqU21.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I dunno youtube is ok with racist nazi sympathizers being one of their prime revenue generators. Maybe they deserve a "get fucked" especially with how they demonitize people without much warning or explanation.

get fucked in this case is "stop using youtube" though.

Which is fine; if people want to set up their own site where people can see the content, go for it. Squarepace plus s3 is crazy cheap and easy to run.

YouTube is under no requirement to let people use their platform to make a bunch of money and use loopholes to avoid giving any of the revenue to them.

Except Google didn't look for a single solution to this problem other than "use our monetization system".

Why not look at charging content creators a fee when they are generating large amounts of traffic and not running ads?

That seems like a thing that is both possible and makes sense. "You're using our platform to make money, pay us some of that money".

A compromise? Lol what is that?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

the big problem (that I see) is that there are significant issues with youtube's monetization scheme (mostly DMCA stuff) that results in your viewers seeing ads and you not getting a penny out of it because some big name claimed you infringed their copyright. There is then months spent arguing back and forth and at the end, the company got all the revenue from your video and whether or not the video is ultimately determined to be fair-use, you're not getting any significant money from it anymore.

Google has got to fix the abuse in their system before they go "Nope, no competitors allowed!"

I mean, clearly they don't because they own the system. There's a reason they got rid of "Do no evil"

It is a "you arent allowed to make money on our platform without us being in the conversation"

There are dozens of big services you can post your videos on with their own rules around profitability, and you can easily roll your own and be available on every single device on the market.

But if you want to use YouTube you have to play by their rules and that seems fair, even if the rules may suck from time to time.

When the rules can change with no prior warning, that's not a powerful incentive.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I mean it is a true fact that when the Ford Motor company adopted the 8 hour day along with higher pay, it was a very significant event because a lot of competitors saw that it actually made them better but come on

A lesson that US companies would unlearn as fast as possible.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ford was gestapoesque in his attempts to destroy unionization in his plants.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Weren't work weeks worse before the 8 hour one? Like that was a positive change?

yeah the 8 hour day was a huge thing the early labour movement fought for worldwide.

eight-hour-banner-pioneers.jpg

Until the 1830s, the demand was for the 10 hour day.

It was a fight of maybe 150 years. Giving Ford the credit is obscene.

Workers were routinely murdered fighting for the things we now credit dictators with.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Except again, no notice.

Changing rules when you *know* there are businesses structured around the way your stuff works is pretty bullshit.

Youtube knows how it's big creators work. They have direct lines of communication with any significant channels.

If they had come out and gone "Hey, starting January 1, there are some new rules for monetization...", then there would likely be no problem at all. Anyone who had their business running in the method that was being targeted would have time to analyze their options and either move websites, restructure their business, etc.

Not giving any notice at all is just Google counting on those people needing to fucking pay rent this month and just turning on monetization.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I had seen that. I don't know a lot about Ulisses, they aren't a North American company.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Also, they already get a taste the way they get a taste from all the regular non monetized videos. They got a taste when my buddy posted his vacation videos, they got it when Landshark posted a video of him playing piano, they always get a taste.

Because you are on their platform, and absent directly clicking on a video link from a favorite you'd have seen their adds all over.

Youtube isn't hurting for cash and if anything they have been screwing content creators with shitty streaming, demonitization without explanation and now they are like "hey fuck your alternative revenue streams we want more."

Add to that youtube continued support of pewdiepie and fuck youtube.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how "auto-demonetized" videos fit in there?

Like, let's say I make a video about a controversial subject like "gays are people", and link my patreon. When the video inevitably gets demonetized, do I need to remove all mention of Patreon from the video?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Except again, no notice.

Changing rules when you *know* there are businesses structured around the way your stuff works is pretty bullshit.

Youtube knows how it's big creators work. They have direct lines of communication with any significant channels.

If they had come out and gone "Hey, starting January 1, there are some new rules for monetization...", then there would likely be no problem at all. Anyone who had their business running in the method that was being targeted would have time to analyze their options and either move websites, restructure their business, etc.

Not giving any notice at all is just Google counting on those people needing to fucking pay rent this month and just turning on monetization.

So, again, they should rehome quickly and make youtube pay with the loss of eyeballs.

Google/YouTube made a calculated decision that is 100% within their power to do, and if the world is pissed then someone else should be willing to take these people on as clearly they were not a drain on youtube's margins.

I fully agree that them doing it overnight was bullshit. That was dirty pool. But again, 100% allowed to, and people are allowed to move their shit away from this company they do not trust.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    Also, when Ford instituted the change, it was already a popular platform. It's basically a footnote at the end of a long history of labour activity.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

No they didn't. GM didn't adopt it till 11 years later, and only then after being on the receiving end of a strike. Same with Chrysler and a few other auto manufacturers.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    @RMS Oceanic help i am confused

aren't some of those people real ;-;

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Data gained, click throughs recommended to other monitized videos, etc.

The way they make money on all their "free" services.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Yes

And now the US in particular has really stepped back from it and you're expected to do like 60 hour weeks

I don't think we've stepped back that far.

edit: Google says 47 is the average for adults, which is still quite significant (nearly 20% up from 40) but not quite 60.

Legally no, but I've heard a lot of chatter that some industries put enormous pressure on you to stay, and if you don't you screw yourself out of advancement.

Right, and some industries still adhere to 40. Hence the average!

ed: median would probably be better but I didn't find that in my cursory googling

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.

Because you are on their platform, and absent directly clicking on a video link from a favorite you'd have seen their adds all over.

Youtube isn't hurting for cash and if anything they have been screwing content creators with shitty streaming, demonitization without explanation and now they are like "hey fuck your alternative revenue streams we want more."

Add to that youtube continued support of pewdiepie and fuck youtube.

I mean I use an adblocker so I don't see the ads at all. They have normal banner ads too?

And they did withdraw support of pewdiepie, he no longer has a youtube red show.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yes

It's cheaper to work someone for 60 hours and pay overtime (loooooooool they're probably salary who are we kidding) than it is to hire 2 people to work 30 hours a piece (where we should be at instead).

They should make overtime punitive. Just get rid of salary worker and put everyone as hourly, and OT is double time. No more fancy math on what counts as "overtime" either, if it's past 8 hours a day, including a 1 hr lunch (or 30 minutes + 2x15 minute breaks) then it's overtime.

If not, we put business owners on a fucking boat and..

Sadly the onus on the workers to refuse to accept the 60hr week culture.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    RMS Oceanic help i am confused

Most of them. What's the problem?

For a negative example, early Christians thought the Emperor Nero wasn't really dead, he was just biding his time. That's where 666 comes from, Jewish Numerology used to encode his name as a warning.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Except again, no notice.

So, again, they should rehome quickly and make youtube pay with the loss of eyeballs.

Google/YouTube made a calculated decision that is 100% within their power to do, and if the world is pissed then someone else should be willing to take these people on as clearly they were not a drain on youtube's margins.

I fully agree that them doing it overnight was bullshit. That was dirty pool. But again, 100% allowed to, and people are allowed to move their shit away from this company they do not trust.

I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

I don't think anyone in here said they couldn't do it. Just that doing it the way they did is evil as fuck

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Why do youtube comments still exist.

what value do they add to anything

I saw this exchange under a video for an Arabic song, once. It's the best thing that happened in the youtube comments.

IuPrdlml.png

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    needs more Holger Danske

Just for you

WIKVqZP.gif

this is such a beautiful jiff, it's a shame it is so small

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    henry ford was the khloe kardashian of his time

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a12484953/who-is-roy-moore/

Esquire writer goes fire and brimstone on Alabama RE: Moore.

Data gained, click throughs recommended to other monitized videos, etc.

The way they make money on all their "free" services.

I dunno what data they're collecting on your preferences when you click on a buddy's vacation videos.

I don't have a problem with "you can't use our platform to advertise your other platform without letting us get a little piece" it's just the rapid change with no notice.

edited September 2017

Except again, no notice.

I don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

I don't think anyone in here said they couldn't do it. Just that doing it the way they did is evil as fuck

delmain, please

their motto is "don't be evil" so obviously

Sir Landshark on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Yes

It's cheaper to work someone for 60 hours and pay overtime (loooooooool they're probably salary who are we kidding) than it is to hire 2 people to work 30 hours a piece (where we should be at instead).

They should make overtime punitive. Just get rid of salary worker and put everyone as hourly, and OT is double time. No more fancy math on what counts as "overtime" either, if it's past 8 hours a day, including a 1 hr lunch (or 30 minutes + 2x15 minute breaks) then it's overtime.

If not, we put business owners on a fucking boat and..

Sadly the onus on the workers to refuse to accept the 60hr week culture.

Then it won't happen until there's no more jobs for 30% of people.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    RMS Oceanic help i am confused

Most of them. What's the problem?

For a negative example, early Christians thought the Emperor Nero wasn't really dead, he was just biding his time. That's where 666 comes from, Jewish Numerology used to encode his name as a warning.

I suppose being a myth isn't mutually exclusive to being real.

i don't know i'm lost in pedantry.

steam_sig.png
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I work exactly 42 hours a week average. Week a is 36 and week b is 48.

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

And as far as basic costs goes, a non-storefront Squarespace site, backed with 2 TB of storage and 2 million views of your videos through S3 a month is ~75 dollars a month.

So yes, if 2 million eyeballs are hitting your videos in a month, and you cannot afford to pay 75 buckarinos to keep the ship afloat, something has gone wrong with your patreon.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I am physically present at work 43.75 hours a week average if you include my 30 minute unpaid lunch break.

also include your commute time

we should be paid to commute to and from work

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2017
    a
    Chanus wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »

also include your commute time

we should be paid to commute to and from work

wouldn't this end up subsidizing suburban sprawl

Sir Landshark on
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

This is the worst of it, I think. Youtube changing policy sucks, but every company does that. Youtube does it immediately and you can find the rug pulled from under you with no explanation.

Reminds me of Valve's policy

"Communicate through product releases"

Not worth talking about it ahead of time when the customers are so vociferous

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

But if they're saying "You can't link to Patreon" because they want some of that cash, where's their alternative?

This discussion has been closed.