As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jabs] Get your flu shot, get a finch! SERIOUSLY GO GET YOUR FLU SHOT

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    If I'm not super interested in the job I absolutely will be a sarcastic ass to the interviewer when they start asking those questions.

It's great, I'd recommend it if possible for y'all if you're ever in that position.

One job interview, in which my interviewer insisted that black-box testing was the "best" way to test software and that there could be no argument over this because he had 15 years experience in software development, had me giving double middle fingers under the table the whole damn time.

Ah, the Cem Kaner school of testing. AKA, pretty good - for the 1980s.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Yes, UPS, when I request a lift-gate for a freight pick-up, I actually mean it. Stop trying to call my bluff by sending non-liftgate trucks to my loading area. These are huge heavy servers.

They do this every time. Now my shipment is delayed a whole weekend because you couldn't send a second driver out with the actual requested loading equipment.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Yes, UPS, when I request a lift-gate for a freight pick-up, I actually mean it. Stop trying to call my bluff by sending non-liftgate trucks to my loading area. These are huge heavy servers.

They do this every time. Now my shipment is delayed a whole weekend because you couldn't send a second driver out with the actual requested loading equipment.

I'm sure you're very well versed in shipping things and dealing with freight, I've shipped a bunch of heavy things that required lift gates as well, and I found a nice little trick to almost guarantee you get that lift gate.

When you're filling out the BoL, there's a little box for extra/custom instructions. If you put "Lift Gate Required, no Forklift or raised dock at location", it doesn't matter if you click the stupid box to get the lift gate, you'll usually get one.

Plus, they don't hit you with the lift gate surcharge if you don't toggle the box.

Every freight driver reads over his BoL requests before departing, and makes sure to read those special instructions (some because they're good drivers, others because they want a reason to drop the pickup), and make sure they're equipped. On their end, that little "Lift Gate Required" bit is a tiny piece of font, and trucks are regularly switched at the last second. The custom instructions is in 12pt and, for FedEX, a red box on their manifest.

I got burned so many times, that I started giving this a try, never got a truck without a gate again. Saved something like $10 each pickup by not clicking the stupid box, too.

These are the companies that keep the world moving. It's terrifying.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ghostbuster Update:

Every year my school does a boo bash fundraiser for the food bank. The whole inside of the school is decorated and students run booths that parents can bring little kids through on trick or treat.

Every year I go in full Ghostbuster gear and they have me wander around at will checking on candy levels and also pushing my brand and being generally awesome.

I have to carry my school radio on me for them to call to me where I need to check. However due to the noise everywhere it is hard to hear. Last year I rigged a holder up near by shoulder kinda like in the Ghostbusters Video Game. However even this made it hard to hear. I was looking at the radio today and noticed ports on the side. A minute of research later and I've ordered a secret service style ear hookup to wear.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Got out on time for the first time in forever because I forgot one site cut off at 0500, but then orders say two patrols but site orders say three?

Also trainee didn't show up, left half hour late.

Also, why does my back hurt in the middle beneath shoulder blades?

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    We had a food day today! I made Oreos from scratch! But instead of sandwich cookies, I used my zombie cookie cutters cause I'm a dang ol' nerd!

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I have survived the interviews I have scheduled this week. I had forgotten how emotionally exhausting I find the whole experience. I am ready to curl up and die for the next forever after just 3 days of this. One more and then a bit of waiting until this is all over. It all reminds me why I always wanted that myth of a company investing in a worker, and working at one place for your entire career to be true. Why does it all have to be so complicated?

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

check for a knife.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't know why work bothered to put these bumpy yellow strips along the sides of the sidewalk indicating people shouldn't be parking there and then does nothing when people continuously park there anyway. Guess any blind person is fucked because they're gonna walk into the side of a parked truck before their cane even comes in contact with the bumps.

Also I wish I could run down everyone who blows a stop sign on grounds and drag them straight up to the Health and Safety Chief.

Daimar wrote: »

check for a knife.

I've not seen my brothers for some time.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Secret flu shot thread,

I made an appointment to get the shot on Tuesday. I found a place that does the shot as an intradermal shot (under the skin - apparently it's kinda new!) and not into the muscle. Apparently it's as effective as the normal shot, but the pain and recovery time could both be greatly reduced! About the same cost as the normal shot, too. So yay. I think that will help me feel much more calm about it.

Wish they had that option here. I had forgotten that while the initial shot does not hurt, I am still going to feel the effect of jabbing a needle into my muscles for a day or two.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I get three shots a week for my allergies and was a sickly child, so I am generally indifferent to needles. But I'm still super ready for some kind of hypospray to be invented that doesn't just punch a needle-sized hole through your skin.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Crossposting from the love thread.
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Was talking to my fiancée about how shitty my day at work was going. She came by a few hours later and dropped off this:

https://imgur.com/AVIm6GI

The missing one is lemon flavor and I gave it to my boss because he said that's his favorite. He's a really good dude and has bent over backwards for me so I let him have it.

I know I mentioned this before but she is the besssssst.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Quid what the fuck, I asked someone else to translate this sentence and it's not at all what you said it was."

*looks at passage*

"This is a different sentence."

#translatorproblems

Apparently despite being 6'5" with very red hair I am a very good ninja, in thatpeople don't realize when I'm moving around behind them until they turn around and get startled. Someone even said they have no idea when I'm in the area because I'm so quiet.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh, I got my jab yesterday. My employer not only pays for the shots, but brings in nurses to administer the shots on site.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Request to change the thread title to [Jab] thread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ya like jabs?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Secret flu shot thread,

I made an appointment to get the shot on Tuesday. I found a place that does the shot as an intradermal shot (under the skin - apparently it's kinda new!) and not into the muscle. Apparently it's as effective as the normal shot, but the pain and recovery time could both be greatly reduced! About the same cost as the normal shot, too. So yay. I think that will help me feel much more calm about it.

Probably a good thing, this year's flu shot has a lot of people complaining of muscle pain.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I'll have to pay $35-50, but whatever. That's a tax write-off.

Apparently the intradermal needle is also 90% smaller! It is insanely small. I think it's pretty neat. I'll put a picture in the spoiler for the needle-squeamish.
    AR-310139996.jpg&MaxW=400

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Apparently despite being 6'5" with very red hair I am a very good ninja, in thatpeople don't realize when I'm moving around behind them until they turn around and get startled. Someone even said they have no idea when I'm in the area because I'm so quiet.

The lack of a soul makes it very easy to skulk about...

The lack of a soul makes it very easy to skulk about...

Loom. 6'5" means my default mode is looming.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Thanks to Uncle Sam and a childhood obsession with ninjas, I'm quieter in combat boots on concrete than most people are in heavy socks on carpet.

I have on occasion scared people so effectively that they almost fainted.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I kept doing that so often to people I just said screw it and now it's entertainment for me.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    God, I feel bad. I'm very hard to relate to. I'm a turbo nerd with niche ass hobbies. New guy at my construction job site ended up being very fluent in English so we ended up chatting a lot (no discrimination here, most of my coworkers just have very limited English ability and I have very limited Spanish ability). He tried to hit it off first with baseball talk (dodgers are doing well I guess), and then football talk. Eventually I brought up that I played videogames, and he's like, "oh man like call of duty? I love that!" And like, I don't want to be a dick and alienate the guy. I hate CoD, but, I was like, oh yeah man, just like that! Or when beers came up, he was asking about IPAs and stuff and I'm like, oh, I'm more of a stout and porter guy, and he's all "Oh like Guinness? Yeah that's good stuff." And again I hate Guinness. But again, I don't want to alienate the guy so I agree that it's good stuff so we can talk about it.

I suck at having things in common with people.

So I guess I can throw this in here, since it was for a job and wasn't really a Doodle!

If you open up Steam and head over to the "Top Sellers", you'll see an expansion for the game Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth (I think it's about 1/3 down the 2nd page).

I did the character on the title image/loading screen. :) They made some lighting/anatomy changes after I submitted it, but yeah. Pretty cool to see it around the web and Steam.

Here's a low-res screenshot:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=15500&stc=1&d=1504899544

Larger/Detail:
    grim-dawn-ashes-of-malmouth-trai.jpg

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Every job thread is eventually a jaerb thread.

Arrive early in office, majority of bosses there

Got lectured that site that is 40 minutes round trip is not worth it and should be put till the very end.

Meaning my night is now so much easier.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    So, wound up on call tonight, since there's a deployment to production tonight on a project I'm assigned to. Okay, that's understandable.

I get a call that the migration of several BLOBs (binary large objects, basically using a DB as a file system) didn't happen. Okay, now I'm annoyed, because I had a) explained to the lead that because of the size of the BLOBs, they can't be scripted, and need to be moved by a DBA, and b) had put instructions in the script package I sent in to this very effect. Then after a conversation with the DBAs, I find that for some reason unfathomable to me, they do not have the proper tool (Redgate SQL Data Compare, for those curious) to actually handle doing line-level migrations. After my lead tries to figure out a convoluted solution that was bound to drive me insane (create a temporary table in test to put the new lines in, then port that table to production, then move the lines into the actual table), I remember that WebEx does allow a participant to take control, and I DO have the right tools on my machine. Cue me having one of the DBAs take my machine over, so we can use SQL Data Compare to directly move the lines into production.

I wanted to scream afterwards.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Data migrations where people don't test their deployment strategy drive me nuts. We've had one source that's been down for 2 days because they have to manually migrate the internal data connections one by one. Test your shit people.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They made some lighting/anatomy changes after I submitted it

Boobs? They embiggened the boobs, didn't they...

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I applied for 6 jobs today!

Some of them in central London, which... I'm not sure, I would be able to handle commuting in for a couple of months, but would mean moving closer into the centre at some point.

But London is where I need to go if I want to get paid more, so I have to deal with it I guess.

Unless anybody has any advice on how the hell to even start looking at moving abroad for work. Like... As a software developer, how on earth do I find companies that would be willing to do Visa sponsorship?

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

Some of them in central London, which... I'm not sure, I would be able to handle commuting in for a couple of months, but would mean moving closer into the centre at some point.

But London is where I need to go if I want to get paid more, so I have to deal with it I guess.

Unless anybody has any advice on how the hell to even start looking at moving abroad for work. Like... As a software developer, how on earth do I find companies that would be willing to do Visa sponsorship?

Not entirely sure on that. I'd think that maybe find a company that works in both places and then try and transfer?
    Maybe @cello could give you some advice/insight?

Not sure what your skillset is like, but I can get your resume into tenables internal system if you'd like.
    https://careers.tenable.com/jobs/search

They have some stuff overseas, but also some stuff remote, and they might be able to do visa type stuff as well?

PSN: jfrofl
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »

Not entirely sure on that. I'd think that maybe find a company that works in both places and then try and transfer?
    Maybe @cello could give you some advice/insight?

Not sure what your skillset is like, but I can get your resume into tenables internal system if you'd like.
    https://careers.tenable.com/jobs/search

They have some stuff overseas, but also some stuff remote, and they might be able to do visa type stuff as well?

When I was applying abroad, I offered to discuss visa options in my cover letters. It's remarkable how little HR tends to know about them. So basically, be ready to answer that kind of question.

Then just apply apply apply. It's rare for companies to loudly proclaim they hire foreigners, so unless it's a defense contractor that likely has restrictions on citizenship then it's best to just find companies you find interesting and throw in an application

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Our sister location closed down a couple weeks back; they are also an in-house brewery.

Do you know how soul crushing it is to watch video footage of literally thousands of gallons of hand-crafted beer being dumped into the drainage system and into the sewer?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    those sewer rats are going to be wasted as fuck

Royce: *shuts off vacuum cleaner* hey, what's the policy on finding money in the car?
    Supervisor: keep it!
    R: but what if it's lap dance money?
    S: lap dance money?
    R: one or two depending where you go.
    S: one or two *does math, light bulb goes on* Oh! OH!

Cue us being responsible with safes and sending emails and making phone calls.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Our sister location closed down a couple weeks back; they are also an in-house brewery.

Do you know how soul crushing it is to watch video footage of literally thousands of gallons of hand-crafted beer being dumped into the drainage system and into the sewer?

Man, should have had a growler event for people to help clear that out and not contribute so much waste. Charge a buck a pint and see the line stretch around the corner, and the stacks pile up.

Jars wrote: »
    those sewer rats are going to be wasted as fuck

And all the sewer snakes are going to feast on them.

This discussion has been closed.