Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Las Vegas Shooting (Sunday night Oct. 1)

11112131517

Posts

  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Metz, thanks for your fine assembly of any products I may have that passed through your hands

    If you got a Magpul flip sight that doesn't work right, odds are I made it.

    Plastic or metal?

    I got the metal ones currently.

    Ah, see, I worked in plastics.

    Edit: sorry! Fair point.

    Metzger Meister on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    How does this happen every shooting thread

    seems like on this occasion it was "hey the gun industry sucks" turned into "hey here are gripes with a specific company" which then got into "hey let's get into the nitty gritty of a specific company's catalog"

  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Gun people do that.

    Source: am former gun people.

    Einzel on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The Rules of the Gun Control Debate
    It’s truly hard to imagine that this change will be led by law. Guns are inscribed into the Constitution of the United States and the individual states. On the other hand, it’s also in most states legal for a parent to strap her child into a car seat, roll the windows up tight, and smoke a pack of cigarettes in the vehicle. Parents almost universally refrain, not because they are compelled, but because they love their children and will not willingly expose them to acknowledged dangers.

    Maybe the most decisive first step toward a safer society is to think less, for now, about (comparatively rare) mass shootings—and think more instead about (horrifyingly commonplace) everyday tragedies like this one in Tampa, Florida, on September 21: “A 4-year-old Florida girl has died after accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun when she reached into her grandmother's purse for candy.”

    Or this one, September 29, in Dearborn, Michigan: “Two three-year-old children have been shot by another toddler at a home daycare facility in the US state of Michigan.” Or this, from Kentucky on August 1: “Police said a 2-year-old died Monday after being shot in the head in his Louisville home. … [T]he boy and his 3-year-old brother found the gun in the top of a closet.”

    The adults who exposed those children to death and injury surely thought they were doing the right thing by having guns in their home. But they were wrong, dead wrong. As Melinda Wenner Moyer writes in the current issue of Scientific American: “The research on guns is not uniform, and we could certainly use more of it. But when all but a few studies point in the same direction, we can feel confident that the arrow is aiming at the truth—which is, in this case, that guns do not inhibit crime and violence but instead make it worse.”

    And the surest sign that gun advocates know how lethal the science is for their cause is their determination to suppress it: since the mid-1990s, Republicans in Congress have successfully cut off federal funding for non-industry gun-safety research. That’s not what you do when the facts are on your side.

    Gun safety begins, then, not with technical fixes, but with spreading the truthful information: people who bring guns into their homes are endangering themselves and their loved ones.

    an excellent antidote to the ridiculous "I was in favor of gun control until I looked at the data" article that's been floating around.

    MrMonroe on
    ShortyBucketman
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    wow i can't believe you'd call all our gun fans child endangerers!!!! fake news!!!

    3Unc6CD.jpg
    Speed RacerStilts
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    One of my friends has a real sad story about her brother showing his brand new gun to a bunch of friends, forgetting it was loaded, and accidentally shooting himself in the head. So yeah a bunch of kids accidentally kill themselves or others with guns.

  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you forget a gun is loaded.

    I don't own or use guns but I have had some training in case I wanted to get my rifle license and THE FIRST THING they taught us, and I mean drilled it into us and if we slipped for even a second there was no way we would get certified, was you always treat every gun like it's loaded.

    DouglasDangerRhesus PositiveMortal SkytynicDuke 2.0BrainleechRomanian My EscutcheonFencingsaxNightDragonHenroidDisruptedCapitalistbalerbowerEmerlmaster999Centipede DamascusOlivawSleepMidniteFuselage
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The Rules of the Gun Control Debate
    It’s truly hard to imagine that this change will be led by law. Guns are inscribed into the Constitution of the United States and the individual states. On the other hand, it’s also in most states legal for a parent to strap her child into a car seat, roll the windows up tight, and smoke a pack of cigarettes in the vehicle. Parents almost universally refrain, not because they are compelled, but because they love their children and will not willingly expose them to acknowledged dangers.

    Maybe the most decisive first step toward a safer society is to think less, for now, about (comparatively rare) mass shootings—and think more instead about (horrifyingly commonplace) everyday tragedies like this one in Tampa, Florida, on September 21: “A 4-year-old Florida girl has died after accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun when she reached into her grandmother's purse for candy.”

    Or this one, September 29, in Dearborn, Michigan: “Two three-year-old children have been shot by another toddler at a home daycare facility in the US state of Michigan.” Or this, from Kentucky on August 1: “Police said a 2-year-old died Monday after being shot in the head in his Louisville home. … [T]he boy and his 3-year-old brother found the gun in the top of a closet.”

    The adults who exposed those children to death and injury surely thought they were doing the right thing by having guns in their home. But they were wrong, dead wrong. As Melinda Wenner Moyer writes in the current issue of Scientific American: “The research on guns is not uniform, and we could certainly use more of it. But when all but a few studies point in the same direction, we can feel confident that the arrow is aiming at the truth—which is, in this case, that guns do not inhibit crime and violence but instead make it worse.”

    And the surest sign that gun advocates know how lethal the science is for their cause is their determination to suppress it: since the mid-1990s, Republicans in Congress have successfully cut off federal funding for non-industry gun-safety research. That’s not what you do when the facts are on your side.

    Gun safety begins, then, not with technical fixes, but with spreading the truthful information: people who bring guns into their homes are endangering themselves and their loved ones.

    an excellent antidote to the ridiculous "I was in favor of gun control until I looked at the data" article that's been floating around.

    I generally like 538 but that article was fucking dumb as hell

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
    MrMonroeNeoTomaFencingsax
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    How the fuck do you forget a gun is loaded.

    I don't own or use guns but I have had some training in case I wanted to get my rifle license and THE FIRST THING they taught us, and I mean drilled it into us and if we slipped for even a second there was no way we would get certified, was you always treat every gun like it's loaded.

    You had training. There was a video of Carson Wentz, quarterback for the Eagles, taking his offensive lineman out to hunt for the first time. They were swinging the guns around and just casually pointing them around like it was no big deal because they've never handled guns and nobody taught them that they need to be respected.

    HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    knitdan
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The Rules of the Gun Control Debate
    It’s truly hard to imagine that this change will be led by law. Guns are inscribed into the Constitution of the United States and the individual states. On the other hand, it’s also in most states legal for a parent to strap her child into a car seat, roll the windows up tight, and smoke a pack of cigarettes in the vehicle. Parents almost universally refrain, not because they are compelled, but because they love their children and will not willingly expose them to acknowledged dangers.

    Maybe the most decisive first step toward a safer society is to think less, for now, about (comparatively rare) mass shootings—and think more instead about (horrifyingly commonplace) everyday tragedies like this one in Tampa, Florida, on September 21: “A 4-year-old Florida girl has died after accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun when she reached into her grandmother's purse for candy.”

    Or this one, September 29, in Dearborn, Michigan: “Two three-year-old children have been shot by another toddler at a home daycare facility in the US state of Michigan.” Or this, from Kentucky on August 1: “Police said a 2-year-old died Monday after being shot in the head in his Louisville home. … [T]he boy and his 3-year-old brother found the gun in the top of a closet.”

    The adults who exposed those children to death and injury surely thought they were doing the right thing by having guns in their home. But they were wrong, dead wrong. As Melinda Wenner Moyer writes in the current issue of Scientific American: “The research on guns is not uniform, and we could certainly use more of it. But when all but a few studies point in the same direction, we can feel confident that the arrow is aiming at the truth—which is, in this case, that guns do not inhibit crime and violence but instead make it worse.”

    And the surest sign that gun advocates know how lethal the science is for their cause is their determination to suppress it: since the mid-1990s, Republicans in Congress have successfully cut off federal funding for non-industry gun-safety research. That’s not what you do when the facts are on your side.

    Gun safety begins, then, not with technical fixes, but with spreading the truthful information: people who bring guns into their homes are endangering themselves and their loved ones.

    an excellent antidote to the ridiculous "I was in favor of gun control until I looked at the data" article that's been floating around.

    I generally like 538 but that article was fucking dumb as hell

    I don't think the author works for 538 any more, it was WP article:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html

    Fencingsax
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The amount of assault weapons is terrifyingly huge

    I don't know what you would do with those, even if you could stop guns being made.

    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    How the fuck do you forget a gun is loaded.

    I don't own or use guns but I have had some training in case I wanted to get my rifle license and THE FIRST THING they taught us, and I mean drilled it into us and if we slipped for even a second there was no way we would get certified, was you always treat every gun like it's loaded.

    You had training. There was a video of Carson Wentz, quarterback for the Eagles, taking his offensive lineman out to hunt for the first time. They were swinging the guns around and just casually pointing them around like it was no big deal because they've never handled guns and nobody taught them that they need to be respected.

    Freedom!

  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    My DI and then future advanced firearms instructor would beat the fuck out of you if treated anything we had like a toy
    I did see him smack around people in Boot camp for not taking rifle practice seriously and another who failed to jump a wall correctly


    Like I said the shear amount of rifles made in ww2 as who knows how has them in the US? in what condition?
    I know people forget to make sure their weapon is clear before cleaning it which is bonkers and showing it off to people which again is bonkers

    I feel the only way to combat the amount of weapons in public and people's attitude about them is education

    Darth WaiterFuselage
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Bad Opinion Haver Registered User regular
    Education is hard when people actively lobby for suppression of information and creating alternative narratives that will place blame on anything but the weapons.

    Which is still just the most frustrating thing to me. During my more depressed moments I often consider that if I was in the US I'd probably have had access to a fire arm and my suicidal moments would've being way more likely to be fatal.

    StiltsRaijin QuickfootRainfallchrishallett83Aistan
  • SorceSorce Registered User regular
    Action open, safety on.

    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery. It's totally updated again, I swear!
    Sleep
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Sorce wrote: »
    Action open, safety on.

    There arent many guns that can engage the safety while the action is open.

    chrishallett83DouglasDanger
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Education is hard when people actively lobby for suppression of information and creating alternative narratives that will place blame on anything but the weapons.

    Which is still just the most frustrating thing to me. During my more depressed moments I often consider that if I was in the US I'd probably have had access to a fire arm and my suicidal moments would've being way more likely to be fatal.

    https://eddieeagle.nra.org

    https://explore.nra.org/interests/safety-and-education/

    This is the best aspect of the NRA. The fact that they do have education and training programs and perform outreach despite the majority of their funds going to the NRA-ILA branch to lobby isn’t a secret.

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    ShortyRainfallDead Legendchrishallett83Johnny ChopsockyDouglasDangerDuke 2.0SkeithSassoriHenroidMortal SkyFencingsaxBucketmanRomanian My EscutcheonCentipede DamascusOlivawTransporterturtleantMatev
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Education is hard when people actively lobby for suppression of information and creating alternative narratives that will place blame on anything but the weapons.

    Which is still just the most frustrating thing to me. During my more depressed moments I often consider that if I was in the US I'd probably have had access to a fire arm and my suicidal moments would've being way more likely to be fatal.

    https://eddieeagle.nra.org

    https://explore.nra.org/interests/safety-and-education/

    This is the best aspect of the NRA. The fact that they do have education and training programs and perform outreach despite the majority of their funds going to the NRA-ILA branch to lobby isn’t a secret.

    At that point though it feels more like the mob using a front of a legitimate business or something though. That it's more to provide cover for their shit than anything they really care about.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Aistan
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Knob wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Action open, safety on.

    There arent many guns that can engage the safety while the action is open.

    I wonder if that's an older gun thing. Every single one of the guns (all from different manufacturers) in my home that has a manually operated safety can engage the safety while the action is open (and the oldest guns were designed in 2003).

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    they're just thinking ahead, it will be much safer to discharge a firearm once the population per square footage is lower

    3Unc6CD.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Education is hard when people actively lobby for suppression of information and creating alternative narratives that will place blame on anything but the weapons.

    Which is still just the most frustrating thing to me. During my more depressed moments I often consider that if I was in the US I'd probably have had access to a fire arm and my suicidal moments would've being way more likely to be fatal.

    https://eddieeagle.nra.org

    https://explore.nra.org/interests/safety-and-education/

    This is the best aspect of the NRA. The fact that they do have education and training programs and perform outreach despite the majority of their funds going to the NRA-ILA branch to lobby isn’t a secret.

    At that point though it feels more like the mob using a front of a legitimate business or something though. That it's more to provide cover for their shit than anything they really care about.

    Strongly disagree, but you’re welcome to your opinions.

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    UnbreakableVow
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Education is hard when people actively lobby for suppression of information and creating alternative narratives that will place blame on anything but the weapons.

    Which is still just the most frustrating thing to me. During my more depressed moments I often consider that if I was in the US I'd probably have had access to a fire arm and my suicidal moments would've being way more likely to be fatal.

    https://eddieeagle.nra.org

    https://explore.nra.org/interests/safety-and-education/

    This is the best aspect of the NRA. The fact that they do have education and training programs and perform outreach despite the majority of their funds going to the NRA-ILA branch to lobby isn’t a secret.

    At that point though it feels more like the mob using a front of a legitimate business or something though. That it's more to provide cover for their shit than anything they really care about.

    Strongly disagree, but you’re welcome to your opinions.

    On what grounds? They "educate" with one hand and deliberately suppress information with the other. They'll teach you how to own a gun with a minimum possible additional risk to yourself and your family, but they won't tell you the actual truth about those risks, which is that you'll be much safer overall by not owning a gun in the first place.

    People who want you to learn about guns don't sponsor legislation to make it illegal for doctors to ask you about whether you keep guns in your home. If your goal is education, you don't suppress research.

    So when you say
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.

    I'm like

    tough titties? Maybe they shouldn't be such duplicitous corporate shills hell-bent on propagating lies to support the revenue figures of their paymasters at the cost of all our safety and then I'd be able to give two shits about their "safety" campaigns.

    GR_ZombieUrielturtleantHermano
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.

    3Unc6CD.jpg
    Hermano
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Like I said, I know they’ve got problems but I think the education they provide and have provided over the years has been beneficial

    Beyond that, I couldn’t give two shits, Monroe.

    Tough titties, I guess?

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    UnbreakableVow
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Like I said, I know they’ve got problems but I think the education they provide and have provided over the years has been beneficial

    Beyond that, I couldn’t give two shits, Monroe.

    Tough titties, I guess?

    It definitely has curbed the upward trend of mass shootings.

    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Is Eddie Eagle actually effective?

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Is Eddie Eagle actually effective?

    About the same as Smokey the Bear, I'd wager.

  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Is Eddie Eagle actually effective?

    About the same as Smokey the Bear, I'd wager.

    One of my first results for "Smokey the Bear effectiveness" was the article How The Smokey Bear Effect Led To Raging Wildfires.

    TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

    BucketmanRhesus PositiveZonugalMidniteMatev
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.
    They don't advertise that service ever, nor do they advertise the relatively brief messaging of gun safety.

    We can replace the NRA with another organization for the safe handling of firearms. The NRA is poisoned and all you hear from them is "OVER MY DEAD BODY."

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    AistanZonugalJohnny ChopsockySleepturtleant
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Is Eddie Eagle actually effective?

    Zonugal
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.
    They don't advertise that service ever, nor do they advertise the relatively brief messaging of gun safety.

    We can replace the NRA with another organization for the safe handling of firearms. The NRA is poisoned and all you hear from them is "OVER MY DEAD BODY."

    Soooo do we go GOA, Pink Pistols, JPFO, what?

    Cause I’m good with all of the above

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.
    They don't advertise that service ever, nor do they advertise the relatively brief messaging of gun safety.

    We can replace the NRA with another organization for the safe handling of firearms. The NRA is poisoned and all you hear from them is "OVER MY DEAD BODY."

    Soooo do we go GOA, Pink Pistols, JPFO, what?

    Cause I’m good with all of the above

    The Black Panthers would be a good group to have running free firearm safety classes all over the country.

    EinzelSleep
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    The NRA started as a gun safety and training organization. That was literally its original purpose.

    Yes, and the rest of the organization has grown into the cumbersome beast that it is today.

    That’s why when everybody demonizes them, however much they may deserve it, I do get a little sad because they do actually provide a valuable and necessary service.
    They don't advertise that service ever, nor do they advertise the relatively brief messaging of gun safety.

    We can replace the NRA with another organization for the safe handling of firearms. The NRA is poisoned and all you hear from them is "OVER MY DEAD BODY."

    Soooo do we go GOA, Pink Pistols, JPFO, what?

    Cause I’m good with all of the above

    The Black Panthers would be a good group to have running free firearm safety classes all over the country.

    The old socialist black panthers or the ones listed as a hate group by the ADL and SPLC?

    Edit: or perhaps the Huey P Newton Gun Club?

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    so long as we understand that we're talking about the equivalent of needle exchanges I'm good with anyone teaching firearm safety to the public generally.

  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so long as we understand that we're talking about the equivalent of needle exchanges I'm good with anyone teaching firearm safety to the public generally.

    Cool, me too.

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm trying to think of firearms education programs that aren't directly affiliated with the NRA (because seriously fuck 'em) and this list is the best I've yet found

    edit: another page from that site listing states where they have affiliated courses

    Mortal Sky on
Sign In or Register to comment.