As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Las Vegas Shooting (Sunday night Oct. 1)

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I didn't realise bullets could travel that far as they did in this scenario. I know that comes from a cultural thing of ignorance, but I didn't realise at all. Thats mad.

Its one of those things where when your younger and your experience with guns comes from movies, TV, books, and games, you think this is one of those things you need a slow firing sniper rifle for. But no. In the actual gross world we live in our gun tech is such that you can do this with a very quick firing weapon. Its...a very sobering reminder

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This is the deadliest mass shooting in modern America
    Since last year's deadliest mass shooting at Pulse.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Fucking goddamn over two hundred fifty victims, over fifty dead!?

Holy shit.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The post I wanted to make on facebook:

I feel awful for everyone affected by this. I wish I could believe that it would be an impetus to address the blatant, ongoing issues with guns in America, but unfortunately I know better after all the previous similar incidents.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    From the sound of it, this was done with automatic weapons, so gun laws aren't really in it-- odds are high that the weaponry used here was illegal.

Nevada Carry states that 'assault weapons' are legal; would that cover full auto? I'm not a gun person so I'm not sure of the specifics, but the stuff about no magazine limit seems... unwise.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    it being called the "Harvest Festival" is the creepiest part to me

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

That is what it was called. There are many harvest festivals across the country right now. It isn't like the news started calling it that just this morning after the attack.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

That is what it was called. There are many harvest festivals across the country right now. It isn't like the news started calling it that just this morning after the attack.

doesn't make it any less creepy

• Options
    edited October 2017
    that's what I meant

I can see Vegas banning the places that let you shoot automatic weapons now

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You know, regardless of where your mind first goes, whether it be political or not, this is tragedy on a massive scale and my heart goes out to anyone who lost someone they love last night.

It shouldn't happen this way.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    From the sound of it, this was done with automatic weapons, so gun laws aren't really in it-- odds are high that the weaponry used here was illegal.

Nevada Carry states that 'assault weapons' are legal; would that cover full auto? I'm not a gun person so I'm not sure of the specifics, but the stuff about no magazine limit seems... unwise.

It shouldn't. Full auto is a federal limitation.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    "thoughts and prayers" pisses me off more than any other non-offensive phrase

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote: »
    "thoughts and prayers" pisses me off more than any other non-offensive phrase

The morning show on the radio station I listen to in the morning said it about 50 times then had people call in to talk about the first prayer they learned.

• Options
    This is definitely an abnormal shooting. A guy from a retirement community busting out a window and shooting a bunch of people with automatic weapons.

This doesn't feel like the normal shooting where the motivation is relatively clear.

I hate that I just used the term "normal shooting"

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The worst thing about this to me is the fact that I can't even be appalled or surprised by this anymore.

It's just... So normal

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Brolo on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The worst thing about this to me is the fact that I can't even be appalled or surprised by this anymore.

It's just... So normal

I think Sandy Hook permanently numbed me to this. If that didn't result in any long term action I honestly can't fathom what will.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Buying shares in weapons manufacturers right after a mass shooting is how all the smartest people make their millions. Because the NRA is going to go into propaganda overdrive, and gun and ammo sales are going to go through the roof.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    A Cat! wrote: »

It's just... So normal

I think Sandy Hook permanently numbed me to this. If that didn't result in any long term action I honestly can't fathom what will.

The NRA witnessed a massacre of children and didn't blink, the situation is appalling to the point of despair

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there's absolutely no way owning a gun would have made you any safer in this situation either

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Buying shares in weapons manufacturers right after a mass shooting is how all the smartest people make their millions. Because the NRA is going to go into propaganda overdrive, and gun and ammo sales are going to go through the roof.

America, please fucking stop.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The conversation is always the same after a mass shooting. Fuck, we have guides on how to read the news during the aftermath. And we're just expected to live with this as our reality.

I'm surrounded by people who will see any "guns are bad" argument as a personal insult, who will absolutely argue that this happened because gun laws are too strict. There's no arguing with them.

• Options
    If everyone in the crowd was a trained sniper with a rifle this never would have happened.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What awful news to wake up to.

This kind of thing happens far too often and it makes me feel sick.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Congressman from Nevada on NPR this morning: "Today isn't a day for politics."

Yeah, well the gun lobby thinks otherwise so maybe we should be trying to limit this stupid shit.

• Options
    Congressman from Nevada on NPR this morning: "Today isn't a day for politics."

Yeah, well the gun lobby thinks otherwise so maybe we should be trying to limit this stupid shit.

Yeah, sorry. Things don't work this way unfortunately

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    When the fuck is going to be the day to talk about preventing these tragedies? I think it's sick that people use the victims as an excuse to brush aside any discussion about ways to prevent more victims in the future.

• Options
    get those buzz words in

we have footage click here for more footage

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    When the fuck is going to be the day to talk about preventing these tragedies? I think it's sick that people use the victims as an excuse to brush aside any discussion about ways to prevent more victims in the future.

Never. It is always too soon.

Maybe once mostly everyone's sunk into world-weary apathy and you shouldn't talk about guns then either because Economy/Immigrants/North Korea/Current Issue is so much more important and why are you attacking true Americans who just go to the gun range as a hobby?

Of course, that's a very short period, because by then the next mass shooting is probably just around the corner.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    That’s your basic too soon fallacy that’s employed all the time in bad faith.

Right after an event it’s too soon and we’re too emotional. Any other time we have other things to talk about. So we can never talk about it and things can never change.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Scott is working from home today because he works just a few minutes from Mandalay Bay and nobody can get near his building because the strip is still blocked off.

This morning I woke up to a low-flying something or other circling overhead over and over.

The concert was at the venue where I went to see Rancid a month ago. I can't say it didn't occur to me that something could happen there, but you know.. it didn't.

It's really weird to see the metro area where I live, 15 minutes away, all over the news for this.

I need to leave shortly to take my son to school, and I'm sitting here wondering what the traffic is going to be like. And life goes on, I guess.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Scott is working from home today because he works just a few minutes from Mandalay Bay and nobody can get near his building because the strip is still blocked off.

This morning I woke up to a low-flying something or other circling overhead over and over.

The concert was at the venue where I went to see Rancid a month ago. I can't say it didn't occur to me that something could happen there, but you know.. it didn't.

It's really weird to see the metro area where I live, 15 minutes away, all over the news for this.

I need to leave shortly to take my son to school, and I'm sitting here wondering what the traffic is going to be like. And life goes on, I guess.

glad you're all okay

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

I hate how many times I've seen this story.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I spent half a year in Japan, forgot all the Japanese I'd learned five years previously in college, and still felt entirely safe despite not speaking the language and being thousands of miles from home for this very reason.

Get your shit together, America.

Edit: via her website: "Laura Olin is a digital strategist who has run pioneering programs for political campaigns, tech companies, media entities, and nonprofits."

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    there's absolutely no way owning a gun would have made you any safer in this situation either

There is a stupid lizard part of my brain, that after every tragedy likes this, thinks "maybe I should get a gun" but after a deep breath I realize that really, that's just me desperately trying to rationalize some way to feel safer in this hostile culture I live in. It would of course only be the illusion of safety, but in light of these events a part of me reaches out even for the illusion.

I miss living in Japan sometimes. My students looked at me like I was some kind of insane oddity for having seen a gun before in my life, when I told them that I'd actually held and fired one as a kid, their first thought was that I was lying to them. Really, the only way to make America actually safer isn't going to be my kneejerk fear reaction to want and go out and get a gun to buy some fake illusion of safety, it's to destroy this gun culture, root and stem, until the idea of owning a gun is as bizarre in America as it is in Japan. This is of course, going to take a large amount of work and time and be fought tooth and nail, but really, it's the only path forward.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah there was a helicopter over the neighborhood early this morning and good god that was loud.

That aside, I'm reading the updated casualty list and my heart has sunk so much. Trying to find out if they found that lady the asshole shooter was with.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I spent half a year in Japan, forgot all the Japanese I'd learned five years previously in college, and still felt entirely safe despite not speaking the language and being thousands of miles from home for this very reason.

Imagine having a police force that you would trust to inspect your firearms.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

Christ and I thought my country (the UK) had strict gun laws