As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Las Vegas Shooting (Sunday night Oct. 1)

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly, a lot of gun rhetoric comes off as self-fulfilling. Probably why the domestic incidents involving them are so high.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I still have my service M45 MEUSOC firearm
    I keep it disassembled to prevent me from killing myself in three pieces around the house since it will take me 5 minutes to get them and reassemble the pistol I feel that's 5 good minutes to stop me or think about it. I also only have 3 rounds for it
    I have a springfield carbine from the 1860's I know I cannot fire it as it takes a 45/55 round and I don't know where to get ammo for it other than a custom ammo company

I apologize if this is insensitive, but why keep the .45?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The thought of buying a gun for personal protection has definitely crossed my mind. Given that my primary source of income is driving for the various rideshare/delivery platforms across the greater LA area, I feel like my risk of being mugged is slightly higher than most? People know I'm carrying a cell phone at least, and also carrying any cash tips I could have received on a given day/night.

But I really don't think that there's any realistic scenario where I become aware of a mugging/carjacking where a gun would really be more useful than just exiting the situation. If the person is already in my car I'm likely already way disadvantaged, and if there are multiple perps surrounding my car either on foot or with vehicles, there's no way I'm going to win a shootout if it comes to that.

Plus I'm not supposed to carry a firearm while driving for any of the services so that would open up my liability for being booted from their platforms.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    The thought of buying a gun for personal protection has definitely crossed my mind. Given that my primary source of income is driving for the various rideshare/delivery platforms across the greater LA area, I feel like my risk of being mugged is slightly higher than most? People know I'm carrying a cell phone at least, and also carrying any cash tips I could have received on a given day/night.

But I really don't think that there's any realistic scenario where I become aware of a mugging/carjacking where a gun would really be more useful than just exiting the situation. If the person is already in my car I'm likely already way disadvantaged, and if there are multiple perps surrounding my car either on foot or with vehicles, there's no way I'm going to win a shootout if it comes to that.

Plus I'm not supposed to carry a firearm while driving for any of the services so that would open up my liability for being booted from their platforms.

Also you have a very low likelihood of receiving a concealed weapons permit in LA and you're probably better off driving away. Carry a big fuck off maglite and keep up your situational awareness.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Thanks @a
    Keith wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I don't feel bad or racist for owning a gun in Albuquerque, there are bad parts of town and decent parts of town. I can avoid most of it, but due to my work I have to drive through some of it - and at unfortunate times at night.

This is really gross

Edit: I first read it as "I don't feel bad for racists", so I apologize for my reading comprehension

But it's still really gross

Which part is gross? I'm not making a value judgement on people that live in high crime neighborhoods. I've been very privileged to grow up in safe suburbs where I didn't have to worry about this stuff, and could ride my bike or walk to school.

As an adult I've worked in a variety of places. Some great, some not so great. People are trying to do the same things no matter what neighborhood they live in; eke out a living and provide for their families. I'm lucky to make enough in my day job to have a few options of neighborhoods when I move, and that doesn't mean I'm better than people that can't, but that doesn't mean I need to pretend I should drive my kids anywhere I want.

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/location/Albuquerque?id=

pfft the Warzone
    I find it sad people are really sarcastic about it and do nothing about it as it's their city
    Since most of the people running for mayor advocate adding more police instead of helping the city clean up it's image and ideal as this city is in a world of hurt and it's not going ot magically get better

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2017
    Edit : I'm not gonna change minds and don't have the energy to try to, sorry

Garlic Bread on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Also you have a very low likelihood of receiving a concealed weapons permit in LA and you're probably better off driving away. Carry a big fuck off maglite and keep up your situational awareness.

Yeah, I know the LAPD really does not want to issue concealed carry permits. There's like 60 issued to civilians in the whole county or something like that?

And yeah, situational awareness is paramount. I also try to limit my driving after dark to well populated areas.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A hearty and heartfelt thank you to the forumers on my Facebook that are arguing with my brother for me

I don't have the fucking energy to deal with him.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure how you would begin to tackle the problems of gun violence in the US when US law enforcement, as an institution, can't be trusted

Do you reform and disarm them first? Because you would need a trustworthy law enforcement group to disarm the populace without killing a lot of minorities and you would still want a somewhat equipped law enforcement group to disarm the well equipped white supremacist militias and criminal groups, and US police can't be trusted to carry out that sort of thing, not in their current form

and while you could pretty much strangle the illegal weapons trade just by making it a little more difficult to obtain weapons legally, you still need some sort of enforcement to collect all the guns that are floating around now.

I mean, it's a solvable problem, but fuck

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I mean, other countries sort of solved the problem while still having law enforcement agencies that have massive institutional problems, so change is possible, but christ

GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I still have my service M45 MEUSOC firearm
    I keep it disassembled to prevent me from killing myself in three pieces around the house since it will take me 5 minutes to get them and reassemble the pistol I feel that's 5 good minutes to stop me or think about it. I also only have 3 rounds for it
    I have a springfield carbine from the 1860's I know I cannot fire it as it takes a 45/55 round and I don't know where to get ammo for it other than a custom ammo company

I apologize if this is insensitive, but why keep the .45?

As I said memories and things I don't talk about or feel comfortable talking about

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    People who want to own guns to shoot things can own the same type that most other countries allow. Single shot hunting rifles. No more hand guns, no more semi automatic converted to automatic. No more ability to kill 50+ people in a few minutes. Full background checks, minimum waiting periods, mental health evaluations, and no private selling. Honestly other countries have done this in the past, it is not like we don't have examples to follow.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Nothing is going to happen on gun control unless the state governments are made obsolete under an expanded central federal government, or the nation splits into regional territories. There are way too many cooks.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    I've basically given up on there being any real change in this country when it comes to the issue of gun control.

Sandy Hook was the one that should have started the dialogue for change and nothing happened. These people value guns more than elementary age children.

What could possibly happen that's worse than that to invoke change?

lawmakers get targeted

its the only thing that will ever change their minds

That already happened though, back in June when a shooter fired on Republican Congresspeople while they were at softball practice. Nothing came of it in terms of legislation

The fact that it happened at a country music festival may actually force some thought on the conservative side - a lot of those people were probably conservatives and Trump voters. Mass shootings in the past decade have trended toward liberal places - an elementary school in Connecticut, a gay nightclub in Orlando, a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, a black church in Charleston. There are outliers, like the Dallas police shootings, but until now they've been outliers. Out of over 50 dead country music fans, I think there may be at least some family members who care more about preventing future tragedies and honoring their loved ones' memories than regurgitating the party line.

Update, this is actually maybe sort of happening

sig.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've basically given up on there being any real change in this country when it comes to the issue of gun control.

Sandy Hook was the one that should have started the dialogue for change and nothing happened. These people value guns more than elementary age children.

What could possibly happen that's worse than that to invoke change?

lawmakers get targeted

its the only thing that will ever change their minds

That already happened though, back in June when a shooter fired on Republican Congresspeople while they were at softball practice. Nothing came of it in terms of legislation

The fact that it happened at a country music festival may actually force some thought on the conservative side - a lot of those people were probably conservatives and Trump voters. Mass shootings in the past decade have trended toward liberal places - an elementary school in Connecticut, a gay nightclub in Orlando, a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, a black church in Charleston. There are outliers, like the Dallas police shootings, but until now they've been outliers. Out of over 50 dead country music fans, I think there may be at least some family members who care more about preventing future tragedies and honoring their loved ones' memories than regurgitating the party line.

Update, this is actually maybe sort of happening

Gun control is bad until I was the one getting shot at.

Fucking hell

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Jimmy Kimmel got pretty emotional talking about this on his show tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYeBXudsds

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine on FB who recently started getting into firearms posted this up yesterday, and it's info I didn't know about:

"I really didn't pay attention to the pro-gun side of things until I was waiting for my concealed carry license to come in the mail (which takes a good three months in Illinois). I eventually stumbled across the Illinois Carry forums which are more or less the central hub for pro-gun stuff in Illinois. When some major, national travesty like this happens, you'll maybe pay attention for a day or two (or as long as it stays in the news cycle) then get back to whatever you were doing before. Maybe somewhere in there you'll call/email your representatives about gun control, but probably not.

Meanwhile, the Illinois Carry people are monitoring the happenings in the state legislature 24/7. If there's even something that gets spitballed in some low-level committee that not even Illinois state government reporters are paying attention to that even has anything it in that could even vaguely be construed as having the potential to evolve into any sort of anti-gun legislation, the troops mobilize. They start calling, faxing, emailing, filing witness slips, scheduling in-person meetings with representatives, and everything else you can possibly do to officially go on record opposing something that's being considered.

This is all orchestrated with a level or organization and precision that is incredible to behold, and I'm only talking the STATE level where a few thousand people doing something to reach out absolutely overwhelms a state representative's office. Imagine this on a national scale once lobbyists get involved, and the NRA can funnel its money hose into amplifying this pro-gun agenda.

When you start to understand the nuts and bolts of how all this stuff actually works, you really start to realize that nothing is ever going to change unless the anti-gun people can commit to the cause even stronger than the pro-gun people can... Which is a tall fucking order."

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Local moron says stupid things, more at 11.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    There is no reality where the need to mobilize police to deal with a person who murdered 58 people and wounded half a thousand others can be called a "miracle", you goddamn toad.

Mx. Quill on
    also the shooter killed himself before police could get to him

also the police took 78 minutes to find the shooter's corpse

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He also stated how the shooter was a, "sick man, a demented man."

Because I assume he coincidentally had a professional psych evaluation done on him before he carried out his shooting.

Just tells me that there is no way this is going to accomplish anything regarding gun control.

Not that I thought it would anyway.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    At most I expect this to kill the silencer bill (which is of dubious value since a suppressor would have had negligible effect in this case), maaaaybe kill the '86 grandfather clause on FA weapons and produce a few new ATF regulations on bump stocks and similar devices which will be mostly unenforceable.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    At most I expect this to kill the silencer bill (which is of dubious value since a suppressor would have had negligible effect in this case), maaaaybe kill the '86 grandfather clause on FA weapons and produce a few new ATF regulations on bump stocks and similar devices which will be mostly unenforceable.

I dunno why you think this would kill the silencer bill. At most I'd expect a delay on it and no additional regulations.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    also the shooter killed himself before police could get to him

also the police took 78 minutes to find the shooter's corpse

It seems he was still alive when the police found him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/02/police-shut-down-part-of-las-vegas-strip-due-to-shooting/
    Police and hotel security ultimately scoured several floors of the hotel looking for the shooter and came upon Paddock’s suite, Lombardo said. At some point, Paddock fired through the door and hit a security guard in the leg, he said, adding that the guard is expected to survive. SWAT officers ultimately stormed the room and some fired shots, though Paddock is believed to have killed himself, Lombardo said. He was not counted in the death toll that authorities reported.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    well, it would kill it in the same sense that the last one died in congress

on which subject; its worth noting that suppressors are already legal in nearly every state, including Nevada, you just need a tax stamp. The Las Vegas guy could certainly have acquired one since he had no criminal record.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    probably not news to many of you guys, but this was mind-blowing for me

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal-bureau-of-way-too-many-guns

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "No honest man needs more than ten rounds in any gun."

-Fuckin William Ruger, co-founder of Sturm, Ruger & Co., whose stocks always go apeshit post-massacre

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Bill Ruger was an ass

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

What

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Hot take: De-list gun manufacturers from the stock market.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    when does my gun get to be able to vote

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That article is incredible

Definitely worth a read, thanks for linking it Tynic!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I read an interesting take on gun control which was requiring insurance for any weapons you own. Because you know an insurance company is going to do it's due diligence to make sure they aren't taking on huge risk with you. They sure wouldn't insure you without a background check, a safe storage solution, would likely require some health questions and the price would definitely depend on the weapon. It also eliminates the concern of the government owning a giant database of gun owners and their health histories.

It's an interesting approach that I never really thought of - not that it would ever happen - but thought provoking at least.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Again, de-list gun manufacturers. You don't get to have a financial incentive to protect mass shootings.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular