As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Indie Games] would be great on Switch!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Star Citizen
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't like skateboarding games but I do like youtube videos featuring skateboarding games so I am fully onboard

Have you ever played any of the skate games? They are very different in control scheme from Tony Hawk and the like.

yeah I like them even less

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Skate is a game I wish I liked because it looked awesome

but man I could not handle those controls

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Spy Party
    FYI Session is supposed to be even more hardcore than Skate

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Mr. G wrote: »
    FYI Session is supposed to be even more hardcore than Skate

Hmm... that's not really what I want though?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DayZ
    WELL IT'S WHAT YOU GET

• Options
    Star Citizen
    settle down, beavis

• Options
    Just gimme a skating game with Bring The Noise by Public Enemy & Anthrax again

BASS

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    WELL IT'S WHAT YOU GET

Not if I don't buy it!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    WELL IT'S WHAT YOU GET

Not if I don't buy it!

Actually they're gonna Songs of Innocence you with it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I kinda love the trend in the last few years of games of just wildly smashing genres together and seeing what happens , it's brought some amazing stuff.

"What kinda game is this, a rogue like, a platformer, a puzzle game, a shooter, a top down tower defense, a visual point and click novel ,?"
    "Yes"

I love this kind of thing too, you just reminded me I tried playing Rollers of the Realm recently and was really frustrated. It's a pinball/rpg mashup, and though it has some really cool ideas and is really fun to start, it also has enemies gradually wear down your flippers, which is a really awful mechanic once you get into the more difficult levels, because once they are worn down enough there's just nothing that you can DO. You just wiggle your nubs helplessly as your balls just fall down into death.

I really hope another company will make a similar type of combination just without that mechanic though.

I loved Rollers of the Realm, I am only missing one damn key for 100% but my god it is the most impossible shot ever.

Another Genre combo one I got sucked into for a while was Rock of Ages ( I need to check out the sequel soon)

It's Tower Defense meets Marble Madness , and it's great!

I like genre mashups with tower defense a lot (especially action elements), and got sucked pretty hard into Dungeon Defenders 1 & recently 2. I also own Sanctum 1 & 2 but I never did properly sit down with those.

Have you tried Dungeon of the Endless?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Sanctum 1 is so much fun. 2 is good as well but while it cleans a lot of stuff up it felt less focused than the first one. All the characters they added kind of sucked and it felt a lot smaller due to how they changed the towers and maps.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I kinda love the trend in the last few years of games of just wildly smashing genres together and seeing what happens , it's brought some amazing stuff.

"What kinda game is this, a rogue like, a platformer, a puzzle game, a shooter, a top down tower defense, a visual point and click novel ,?"
    "Yes"

I love this kind of thing too, you just reminded me I tried playing Rollers of the Realm recently and was really frustrated. It's a pinball/rpg mashup, and though it has some really cool ideas and is really fun to start, it also has enemies gradually wear down your flippers, which is a really awful mechanic once you get into the more difficult levels, because once they are worn down enough there's just nothing that you can DO. You just wiggle your nubs helplessly as your balls just fall down into death.

I really hope another company will make a similar type of combination just without that mechanic though.

I loved Rollers of the Realm, I am only missing one damn key for 100% but my god it is the most impossible shot ever.

Another Genre combo one I got sucked into for a while was Rock of Ages ( I need to check out the sequel soon)

It's Tower Defense meets Marble Madness , and it's great!

I like genre mashups with tower defense a lot (especially action elements), and got sucked pretty hard into Dungeon Defenders 1 & recently 2. I also own Sanctum 1 & 2 but I never did properly sit down with those.

Have you tried Dungeon of the Endless?

I haven't, but I might own it? I'll have to check, but it was definitely on my radar, as are all of the Endless games due to their beautiful artwork. I'll probably never play any of them though, I keep going back to the same few games (Warframe, Path of Exile, Guild Wars 2, Morrowind, Minecraft, etc.)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i really wish they'd put skate on pc

• Options
    Star Citizen
    see now that's how you make a game for youtube videos

• Options
    There’s something unsettling about how that guy’s upper body does not move at all

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Moriveth wrote: »
    There’s something unsettling about how that guy’s upper body does not move at all

he's focusing all of his strength on knotting his knees through his skin

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Wait, there's two Skate successors coming?

Meanwhile all I got was a knife to the gut in the form of Tony Hawk 5

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Star Citizen
    Brolo wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

he's focusing all of his strength on knotting his knees through his skin

if they published that game as is I would buy it

Shorty on
  • Options
    Star Citizen
    also here is a review of Slay the Spire:

https://www.goombastomp.com/review-slay-spire/

it's really fun you should get it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqWyxQKZmM
    Session is a spiritual successor to the Skate series (without a pedigree, it's all fan-made) that is on Kickstarter now, with a playable demo available

It really seems like the real deal

Oh hey look Activision, a skating game made by a small indie studio that has better graphics (Shaders! Holy shit, technology from the early 2000s!) than THPS5...

• Options
    Star Citizen
    I think the only skating game I've enjoyed playing is olliolli

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Wait, the prequel to Oxenfree was a skating game? That series kind of took a turn, I guess.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Spy Party

Still in early access, poll still live

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Spy Party

When was the first time Spy Party got mentioned? I feel like it's been 7 years.

• Options
    Spy Party
    Spy Party has been in development since 2009

In 2010 he said there were two years left in development

He said that again in 2013, and then again in 2017

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Wait, the prequel to Oxenfree was a skating game? That series kind of took a turn, I guess.

I will never get tired of variations of this joke.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Dwarf Fortress 0.44.01 is out.
    This is the artifact release, featuring the ability to send your dwarves off to cause trouble in the world, improved kobold sites, cover identities, artifact questers, and a bit of artifact diplomacy.
    In fort mode, the 'c' screen which used to list civilizations still does that as a suboption, but its main purpose now is to show the world map and allow you to interact with it. You can either raid a neighbor generally, or send off squads to recover specific artifacts or rescue particular people (in which case, the squads will still bring back other artifacts and prisoners, but focus on the goal.) A squad questing after an artifact will seek out information if the first site doesn't work out, and this might take several months, so be prepared. Squads can also be captured during raids, though typically someone will return to tell the tale. When squads return, a report will become available; a yellow 'R' will appear over on the left margin, and pressing 'r' will let you see it. Sometimes reports are quite lengthy as squads stumble from tavern to tavern; you can press enter to skip to the end of the path animation.

There are some rough edges here! Be sure not to send off your commander if you are planning to reorganize your military, as they are the only one with the power to assign new squads and cannot do so while off the map. There was a last-minute hiccup with artifacts known to be held by people (rather than stored on sites); these fort-mode missions will be fruitless for the moment; the most common instance here is books authored by people that then hang on to them, so don't try to steal their books! It says on the map screen when an artifact is held by somebody, so it should be easy to avoid. Raids do not bring back non-artifacts or build skills; these issues may or may not be addressed in the short-term depending on difficulties that arise.

The interactions with heroes and invading armies are more straightforward. There will either be 'P'etitions or a diplomacy popup to handle.

In adventure mode, you can assume a cover identity. You do this from the 'k' conversation menu (if you are already talking to somebody, it'll be hidden in "start new conversation".) If you choose to link your identity to a civilization, you'll be carrying that baggage with you, especially when you are being interrogated by goblin guards, so one should be prudent. To turn off the identity, go back to the "assume an identity" menu and choose the 'x' "no identity" option. You can also reuse existing identities from this menu.

People in adventure mode that are seeking an artifact will list "missing treasure" among their troubles, and you can then inquire further.

In order to name an object, use 'I' to interact with it, and it'll be one of the options for appropriate objects. For example, you can give a name to your spear or waterskin, but not to the water or food you start with.

There are also various adventure rough edges. For instance, if you pick up and then immediately replace a museum piece in adventure mode, and then tell somebody about it, you'll get credit as a Treasure Hunter. It'll be difficult to fix that without additional property information, etc. It's also generally hard right now to find artifact quests, as most things are in their proper place and/or not subject to an outside claim. We'll be working with this a bit as we generally work on stabilizing the release.

Overall, many of the changes occurred under the hood, in preparation for the myth and magic release, but now the magic release will be able to incorporate artifacts of all kinds without additional delay, so hopefully it was time well spent.

As usual, your old saves should work, but please back them up before diving into the new release! It is quite likely that forts will fall into technical ruin as bugs come up and are handled at this early stage. Old forts won't have object additions like the pedestals and display cases, but they should be able to send out raids from the 'c' screen.

We will be focusing on the worst bugs (crashes etc.) at first, and then we'll broaden out into other bugs, old and new, and minor suggestions/usability improvements, as well as a general smoothing out of the new features. We're still working on the design side of the first magic release, so we anticipate we'll be doing smaller releases for a while.

ADDENDUM: My Linux computer died during the release process, so the Linux version will have to be delayed until we figure that out.

New stuff
    • Ability to send out squads to raid sites, rescuing prisoners and recovering artifacts
    • Display cases and pedestals, museum zones, both in forts and other sites
    • Can view the world map w/ rumors from fort mode
    • Artifacts created during worldgen: dwarf moods, named heroic objects, holy relics, heirlooms
    • New artifact events in play and worldgen: questers seek artifacts and ask for or steal them, invaders demand artifacts
    • New historical events associated to the creation of artifacts (used in fort and worldgen)
    • Agents used by civilizations to gather information, can assume cover identities
    • Improved kobold site maps
    • Goblin site denizens demand an identity instead of immediately attacking every stranger
    • More modding control over pets and other animals
    • Adventurer can assume a cover identity at will
    • Adventurer can name their possessions
    • New adventurer reputations related to artifacts
    • New religious activity: monks, pilgrims and prophets
    • Museums and other room types can be added to fort locations like taverns and libraries
    • Various additional data in the XML export

Major bug fixes
    • Fixed weapon trap crash vs. item breakage
    • Fixed bug preventing monster slayers from visiting those forts with monsters to slay
    • Made animated skulls, hair and other bits easier to pulp
    • Made idle and vermin-hunting dwarves come down from trees more successfully
    • Made thirst/hunger and being pushed out of the way less likely to terminate dances

Other bug fixes/tweaks
    • Alphabetized broad stock screen categories
    • Fixed problem with historical bodies not respecting wounds/processing
    • Fixed bug causing religions to worship too many gods, with duplicates
    • Made simple burrow beasts start in caves as possible
    • Fixed broken historical collection linkage with beast attacks during festivals
    • Fixed one instance of broken animal person greetings
    • Stopped natural animals from w.g. rampaging through sites owned by entities at peace with wildlife
    • Took age into account for w.g. fights vs. body size (e.g. proper dragon size)
    • Stopped people from being enough to satisfy a need to see great beasts
    • Made visitors less nervous about going to neutral locations

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait Dwarf Fortress is only at version 0.44?

Isn't that game a decade old?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

The numbers are arbitrary, and dwarf fortress is not intended to be "finished"

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    DayZ
    Dwarf Fortress 1.0 is just actually a simulation of real world so precise that we could be inside it right now and not know it.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Lalabox wrote: »

The numbers are arbitrary, and dwarf fortress is not intended to be "finished"

They're not completely arbitrary, the first one is roughly the percentage of development goals that have been completed and the later one is the current (bugfix) version number. 0.44.02 is expected to come tomorrow since there's some pressing worldgen bugs (scouts are giving themselves improper identities and crashing the game, I think).

For reference, the previous version was 0.43.05 and was released July '16. Yes, it's been 1% progress in a year and a half. Expect 1.00.01 in 60 years or so, I guess. (Probably less - the artifacts & magic release will probably tick it up some notches.)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I recently started playing dwarf fortress again.

It has consumed me. This is also the first time I've used any plugins or anything aside from graphics packs and maaaaaan I cannot believe I only ever played this without that stuff until now.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Star Citizen
    Alright i'm installing night in the woods let's see what it's all about.

• Options
    Spy Party
    Man, I really really like Hollow Knight

This is a better 2D Dark Souls than Salt & Sanctuary, and I might like it more than a few actual Souls games

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Spy Party
    I am abandoning my quest in Hollow Knight to do...something, instead I'm joining up with these mushroom men that sound like Owen Wilson

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Spy Party
    Man, I really really like Hollow Knight

This is a better 2D Dark Souls than Salt & Sanctuary, and I might like it more than a few actual Souls games

I had a really good time with it until I got hopelessly lost and couldn't figure out where to go after that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of the map in hollow knight

but boy is it a fun game

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DayZ
    see, i love the huge huge map and the different areas. Just like with the original dark souls, I got to the point where I very rarely needed to even look at the map.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
This discussion has been closed.