As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I have no idea what I just ordered from the [Bad Food Thread]

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I've literally never been to a wedding that wasn't full open bar, and I've been to many.

Well I mean I went to weddings before I was of legal drinking age. I don't remember if the weddings I went to as a 5 year old had an open bar. But of the ones in my drinking life...they were all open bars.

when you say "open bar" do you mean they had beer and wine or do you mean you could order something with liquor

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One wedding to went to was a open? bar with tons of cheap beer and 3 bottles of Whiskey. I remember this because there was ONE bottle of wine for the Couple and it was a good one but one woman was livid about the "open" bar and the lack of wine

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Livid seems like the wrong reaction to that, but I definitely would not have described that as an “open bar”.

sarukun on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    She was mad about it really mad giving the Best man a piece of her mind about the bar pointing out the amount of beer they had was not a open bar for Adults {it was a lot of Bud as I remember there was a lot more in someone's car with the wall of it that was being severed there was a lot a of PBR and Coors as well}

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    speaking of mead I just put together my second batch, and it should be ready for bottling in about 10 days

the only two weddings I've been to was one of my old partner's cousins, which was pretty fancy, and had an open bar and the whole shebang up in a hotel in the mountains, and when some of my friends got married in the field in front of their parents' house, under a gazebo, and where I cooked about a third of the food, and drove it up the few hours out of syndey. Both had open bars, although the second couldn't really have charged people for drinks since it was already on their property, so they just went and bought several cases of assorted drinks and had someone serving them out.

spirits were a bit of a provide your own and share them around. We had a nice whisky toast. Then I slept in a tent outside the back of their house because fuck driving back into town.

Lalabox on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If I was invited to a wedding that advertised an open bar and not only did they not have any spirits or wine, all of the beer they had was cheap domestic stuff, I'd be pretty pissed too. Like, just say "beer will be provided" in that case, instead of tricking people with the expectations the phrase "open bar" comes with.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ramen with poached egg and cheese is really good and awful, but man, the egg sticks to my teeth and it feels awful

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I've never been to a wedding as an adult.

what is an open bar?

Also I want to make more mead myself but honey is too much money honey.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

what is an open bar?

Heaven

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

what is an open bar?

You walk up to the bar and ask for a drink and they give you the drink for free. The newlyweds pay for the drinks as part of the cost of the wedding.

jgeis on
    jgeis wrote: »

what is an open bar?

You walk up to the bar and ask for a drink and they give you the drink for free.

that's... crazy.

Also that sounds expensive.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Oh yeah it really is

Virtually unheard of in the UK

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I have been to a lot of weddings which have done free beer & wine, which seems like a good compromise because hell if liquor isn't expensive.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    when I got hitched we had an alcohol free daytime wedding due to certain family members

as a result only a few people got drunk and not till near the end!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've eaten Pizza Hut in three countries and I have no idea why it's so awful in the states. My local Pizza Hut has literally four pizza choices, hardly any toppings for custom pizzas and when it got here it was flappy and awful. I now know why you all complain about Pizza Hut. In Canada and the UK that shit is delicious.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've eaten Pizza Hut in three countries and I have no idea why it's so awful in the states. My local Pizza Hut has literally four pizza choices, hardly any toppings for custom pizzas and when it got here it was flappy and awful. I now know why you all complain about Pizza Hut. In Canada and the UK that shit is delicious.

"How can we make shit as cheap as possible!"

I have no idea how they're even still in business. No one is ever there when I drive by them, even on like a friday night when they used to be busy when I was a kid.

Pizzas aren't exactly expensive, local mom and pop shops make pretty good ones and people are willing to obviously spend a premium on it, they should just get better quality ingredients and stop with all these wacky crusts and sauces.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

From what I remember Pizza Hut used to be alright back when you used to go to the restaurant and order. Of course nobody has done that since about the 90s so

I have no idea why it's so bad only in this country. Like it's junk food everywhere, but in the UK and Canada it's a real treat, super tasty with a ton of variety. I just don't get it. Is it not an American company?

Americans will eat any old thing if it qualifies as pizza.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I’m blaming the race to the bottom in the budget pizza chain arms race.

Other bad food things I learned (last week was a diet break): I first ate at Red Robin in 2008 and considered it one of the best burger places I'd been to. I had it for the second time a few days ago and... it's one of the best burger places I've been to. It actually really reminds me of In N Out in flavour. Pretty basic stuff, but done really well, and they have a ton of variety in the things you can order. It was also ridiculously cheap.

BJ's Brewery sucks a nut. I had a pizza from there. It was bad. I realised that I've been there dozens of times and can't remember a single thing I've had aside from desserts.

A lot of the hipster joints around here are pretty good. I can get a good hipster burger in three different places if I don't want to walk to Red Robin. I do though. I want to walk to Red Robin.

Somehow little caesars manages to be the cheapest by a large margin and still maintains the highest quality of the budget pizzas.

Papa john's being the worst of the budget pizza chains.

The trick to little caesars is making sure it's fresh, because if it's been in the warmer for more than 10 minutes it's garbage. And if it's cold it's also garbage.

You have like a 40 minute window to eat it from fresh to the point that it's inedible.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Red Robin was so cheap that I queried the bill. I went up and told them they had undercharged me.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Pizza Hut always had the most confusing logo because in German, "Hut" means "hat"

I've never been disappointed with Red Robin, other than they give you like 3 french fries.

tube if you are ever in toledo I'll give you a tour of all the delicious pizza options in town.

Why order pizza Hut when you can get something from a small mom and pop shop for just a bit more but tastes many times better and with more variety since there are probably a dozen options here.

bowen wrote: »
    I've never been disappointed with Red Robin, other than they give you like 3 french fries.

The fries don't seem great. I had one that was a little burned and that was real real good, but otherwise they're just very bog standard, kind of like the oven chips you can make at home. The waitress was also terrible, and they sing birthday songs. The burgers are good enough to make up for all that though. I also appreciated that they have lower calorie versions of a lot of their stuff if you want to keep it down a bit.
    tube if you are ever in toledo I'll give you a tour of all the delicious pizza options in town.

Why order pizza Hut when you can get something from a small mom and pop shop for just a bit more but tastes many times better and with more variety since there are probably a dozen options here.

There are very few pizza chains in my area unfortunately, especially since I don't like to drive. Not a pizza town.

actually just visit in August. Sylvania ohio puts on a lucas County wide pizza celebration every year called pizza palooza and you can get ~1 dollar slices from every pizza place worth their mozzarella in town while live music is on stage.

You don't mean the Toledo in Washington do you

edited December 2017
    You don't mean the Toledo in Washington do you

Unfortunately not.

The worst possible toledo is the one I mean haha.

There is however also a trendy donut truck called holey toledough....

Tallahasseeriel on
    Child's Play goes to all sorts of places, so if Toledo comes up I'll be all "can the sick kids wait until August"

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Yeah I tried Little Ceasar's $5 lunch combo deal and that block of pepperoni pizza sitting in that warmer for who knows how long gave me butt troubles. Probably should try calling in an order for pickup next time.

Apparently UK Pizza Hut pumped a bunch of money into its restaurant to win over "The Nando's Generation" which is a pretty brutal and honest admission of how their competition was slapping them. Nando's make great quality food, it seems like that's what's forcing Pizza Hut to be better in order to compete. I guess other chains aren't squeezing them as hard here.

edited December 2017
    pizza Hut is one of only a few chains that have an established national scale here. America is pretty big so you end up with weird areas with pockets of regional chains or nothing at all for them to compete against. so they are free to be lowest common denominator here just to keep prices down because they are the default in a lot of places.

you really just get consistentcy from it here. a pizza Hut pizza will be the same in bumfuck Alabama or Kansas as it is in Denver or Chicago or any large city.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Apparently UK Pizza Hut pumped a bunch of money into its restaurant to win over "The Nando's Generation" which is a pretty brutal and honest admission of how their competition was slapping them. Nando's make great quality food, it seems like that's what's forcing Pizza Hut to be better in order to compete. I guess other chains aren't squeezing them as hard here.

US fast food has been a pretty strong race to the bottom for a long time. Same with any kind of casual dining like Chili's or Red Robin or whatever. It's why they started losing millions when a bunch of people started selling their food out of their goddamn van, and was still way better than anything they could put on a plate.

Javen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

That sounds like an exceptionally bad Pizza Hut location. My local Pizza Hut at least has a lot more options than that, plus it has wings too.

Of course it's still not great, I choose Papa Murphy's over them every time.

big nationwide pizza places operate at pretty insane levels of economy of scale.

I'd compare pizza chains to fast food before anything else here unless they are very small local ones.

It looks like there's a Papa Murphy's near here. I've never had that before.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The Pizza Hut I went to in London had table cloths and a waiter that took our orders and there was a wine list.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I have no idea why it's so bad only in this country. Like it's junk food everywhere, but in the UK and Canada it's a real treat, super tasty with a ton of variety. I just don't get it. Is it not an American company?

I feel the same way when Americans heap shit on Dominos - in Australia you can get a pizza for $5 that's better than the 'premium' $8-9 supermarket frozen pizzas!

This discussion has been closed.